Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Apollogies my post above about the falling R rate should have referred to Imperial College not Oxford University. The former's study (the largest ongoing one in the country) suggested in the last week R had fallen from 1.7 to 1.1.

However some professor at Bristol thinks both are wrong and it was probably 1.4 in both weeks referred to.

Follow "the science" as they say!

Read what you post and come up with the opposite works for me. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And our own Sadiq Khan seems desperate for London to be locked down again.

He does. Feels left out probably.

indianajones
39 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Personally, I think we should just batter on as normal. Herd immunity would be better than a vaccine. 

Would prefer taking my chances with a rampaging virus than injecting some dodgey solution into my system that’s for sure. 

100% this.

I'll not be taking a vaccine for this.

jack D and coke
Just now, indianajones said:

100% this.

I'll not be taking a vaccine for this.

What if they make you download an app that shows you’ve taken it and you have to show it to get out the country into another or to get into tynecastle etc or anything where there’s more than 50 people say? The way some curtain twitching, police state demanding weirdos are going on it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. 

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

How many old people attended those?

London has around 11.1% of the UK's cases. (48,829 as of 28 Sept)

Scotland has 29,244.

Greater London (depending how you define it) has about twice Scotland's population so roughly equivalent to Greater London or  slightly higher in Scotland. But my point wasn't a Scotland vs England one or London vs the rest of England. In fact it was just a question.

Your first sentence partly addresses the question, albeit with another  question. Certainly a minority in each were old depending how you define old. Extinction Rebellion and the anti-Lockdown demo did attract quite a few oldies. But a fair proportion of the younger attendees presumably encountered in the following two weeks old people and other people who did not attend the demos. so I am not sure of the relevance. The furore over these events was not because the attendees would catch the virus but because of the fear they would spread it. (in fact many on here seemed eager for the ant-Lockdown protestes to catch it!).

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Read what you post and come up with the opposite works for me. 

It is one way of approaching a discussion I suppose.

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

What if they make you download an app that shows you’ve taken it and you have to show it to get out the country into another or to get into tynecastle etc or anything where there’s more than 50 people say? The way some curtain twitching, police state demanding weirdos are going on it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. 

Horrible feeling that its going to be mandatory, another line crossed in this incredible roll back of liberty without scrutiny.

Do I have the app on my phone? No

Would I ? No

Will I take a rushed vaccine? No

The Internet
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

ffs :lol: step away from the internet. 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Apparently Sturgeon wants to put Irn Bru and mashed up haggis & neeps in the vaccine.   

What an odd comment to make on such a serious issue mate 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

ffs :lol: step away from the internet. 

:lol: bit tongue in cheek yeah but I might remind of you this one then if it happens😐
You’d have imagined you’d actually be fined for going to someone house in March did you? 

manaliveits105

Doom mongers moved on from death rates to dont take any vaccine I see - when this is all over and the thread closes some people are going to need counselling 

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Greater London (depending how you define it) has about twice Scotland's population so roughly equivalent to Greater London or  slightly higher in Scotland. But my point wasn't a Scotland vs England one or London vs the rest of England. In fact it was just a question.

Your first sentence partly addresses the question, albeit with another  question. Certainly a minority in each were old depending how you define old. Extinction Rebellion and the anti-Lockdown demo did attract quite a few oldies. But a fair proportion of the younger attendees presumably encountered in the following two weeks old people and other people who did not attend the demos. so I am not sure of the relevance. The furore over these events was not because the attendees would catch the virus but because of the fear they would spread it. (in fact many on here seemed eager for the ant-Lockdown protestes to catch it!).

A lot of older people were still shielding and you would hope that most of the attendees were not thick enough to go and visit elderly parents/grandparents after attending. We know now that thankfully transmission rates are massively reduced outdoors.

So you were talking about cases as a percentage of population? Can you share the numbers you were looking at?

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Horrible feeling that its going to be mandatory, another line crossed in this incredible roll back of liberty without scrutiny.

Do I have the app on my phone? No

Would I ? No

Will I take a rushed vaccine? No

It’s the way people literally demand compliance of all this stuff that concerns me. 
As for the vaccine? What harm would it really do? Why are people so afraid of them now? It might give some protection. If been in trials and plenty people had taken it I’d probably take it too. 

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Doom mongers moved on from death rates to dont take any vaccine I see - when this is all over and the thread closes some people are going to need counselling 

Scaremongerers trying to terrify people off taking a vaccine which definitely won't be safe and won't work. Seems like doom and gloom to me.

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How many old people attended those?

London has around 11.1% of the UK's cases. (48,829 as of 28 Sept)

Scotland has 29,244.

What a ridiculous question.

Londoners went through the pandemic, behaved themselves and now have a relatively low infection rate compared to the rest of England and much better than most of Scotland. The borough I live in  has an infection rate of 26 per 100,00, the average across England is 28. In Edinburgh the infection rate is 85 per 100,000 and the average in Scotland is 39. 

There must be a reason for this, but over to you for your usual cartoon and crayon response.

JudyJudyJudy

It can be heavy reading these posts at times ! Today,  apparently we have no hope of a vaccine for a few years ? So what’s the alternative ? In and out of lockdown ? Circuit breaks ? No thanks . The simplest option is shield the older and the vulnerable surely ? I think I’m at the stage I’m more concerned / worried about a lockdown than actually catching thd virus 🦠 I’d dread another full lockdown but firmly believe it won’t happen due to economic reasons . Well here’s hoping . However even if we had another one I suppose we know what to expect as we have had one before ! Unsure if that makes  it worse or better ! 

The Internet
Just now, manaliveits105 said:

I'm pretty sure doom mongers worried about death rates and those saying they wouldn't take a vaccine are very different groups. But yeah I think it's been said before that that this thread would make a great case study on the mental health impact of all this. It's true. 

jack D and coke
Just now, JamesM48 said:

It can be heavy reading these posts at times ! Today,  apparently we have no hope of a vaccine for a few years ? So what’s the alternative ? In and out of lockdown ? Circuit breaks ? No thanks . The simplest option is shield the older and the vulnerable surely ? I think I’m at the stage I’m more concerned / worried about a lockdown than actually catching thd virus 🦠 I’d dread another full lockdown but firmly believe it won’t happen due to economic reasons . Well here’s hoping . However even if we had another one I suppose we know what to expect as we have had one before ! Unsure if that makes  it worse or better ! 

It is and I really need to bail out again. I’m as bad as anyone for the silly posts too🤪

This thread depresses the living shit out of me :lol: 

Has anyone asked Mr Shielding & Mrs Vulnerable if they don't mind being subjected to arbitrary,  indefinite house arrest?

Edited by Victorian

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It is and I really need to bail out again. I’m as bad as anyone for the silly posts too🤪

This thread depresses the living shit out of me :lol: 

👍👍

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Has anyone asked Mr Shielding & Mrs Vulnerable if they don't mind being subjected to arbitrary,  indefinite house arrest?

I should have mentioned they can voluntary shield ! 

Edited by JamesM48

Sturgeon on another power trip :seething: 

Matt Hancock has announced a ban on social mixing in the Liverpool city region, Warrington, Hartlepool and Middlesbrough after a spike in infections.

The new rules will restrict social mixing for almost 2 million people.

The health secretary said indoor mixing between households will be illegal, and guidance will advise people not to mix with others in outdoor public spaces such as parks.

The measures mirror those introduced in the North East on Monday to tackle the spread of COVID-19.

Hancock told the Commons: “Earlier this week we brought in further measures in the North East, however in parts of Teesside and the North-West of England cases continue to rise fast.

“In Liverpool, the number of cases is 268 per 100,000 population, so together we need to act. Working with council leaders and the mayors, I’m today extending these measures that have been in the North East since the start of this week to the Liverpool City Region, Warrington, Hartlepool and Middlesbrough.

“We will provide £7 million to local authorities in these areas to support them with their vital work.”

More follows

Just now, JamesM48 said:

It should have mentioned they can voluntary shield ! 

So house arrest or choose to venture out amongst the throng whilst vulnerable.   Seems like a poor binary choice for them folks.   

Nucky Thompson
49 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

My uncle-in-law is a virologist who's worked on treatments and vaccines for decades, and he apparently said last night a proper working vaccine is years away, whatever the politicians are telling us.

That's me convinced then

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

A lot of older people were still shielding and you would hope that most of the attendees were not thick enough to go and visit elderly parents/grandparents after attending. We know now that thankfully transmission rates are massively reduced outdoors.

So you were talking about cases as a percentage of population? Can you share the numbers you were looking at?

I could provide numbers ...  if you would be kind to explain the relevance of these comparisons, which you introduced.. It is not about whether Scotland did better than England or London? The question I raised is ... why are London's numbers and deaths now among the lowest in the UK or England if you prefer.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

So house arrest or choose to venture out amongst the throng whilst vulnerable.   Seems like a poor binary choice for them folks.   

Not everyone is afraid. My local has plenty of old geezers who like most just want to get on with their lives. 

Just now, Francis Albert said:

I could provide numbers ...  if you would be kind to explain the relevance of these comparisons, which you introduced.. It is not about whether Scotland did better than England or London? The question I raised is ... why are London's numbers and deaths now among the lowest in the UK or England if you prefer.

Yes you've said London's cases are among the lowest in the UK, but as I've pointed out they have far higher case numbers than the whole of Scotland.

You didn't say the case rate relative to population. I would like clarification on the numbers you are looking at.

Ron Burgundy

I always thought the most successful virus was one that was not particularly deadly but highly infectious as killing a host would stop its ability to spread.

Seems this one looking at death rates V infection rates is pretty successful.

Time to treat it as such. Something that will be around forever but not particularly deadly. Might make folk take better care of their health in general.

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not everyone is afraid. My local has plenty of old geezers who like most just want to get on with their lives. 

Some are.   There are many,  many people (some of them still needing to work) who can reasonably continue going to work or getting out and going about whatever it is they do while distancing measures are in place and the level of virus is suppressed.   There is enough in place for these people to retain something of their lives.   If we go to a policy of easing a lot of restrictions (as some advocate) and tell the shielding and vulnerable to choose hermitude or an increased vulnerability from more virus,  it effectively imposes a shitty dilemma on them.    Why are these people expected to bear more of a burden so that less vulnerable people get what they want?    It's portrayed as some kind of solution but it's never as simple as people believe... sorry,  pretend.

Edited by Victorian

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes you've said London's cases are among the lowest in the UK, but as I've pointed out they have far higher case numbers than the whole of Scotland.

You didn't say the case rate relative to population. I would like clarification on the numbers you are looking at.

London's current cases and deaths are among the lowest in the UK. When anyone refers to death and case rates without reference to population they are talking meaningless nonsense and I never do that!. 

Riddley Walker
17 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's me convinced then

Just passing it on man. Could well be another load of shite in the constant drip feed of a load of shite we're fed on a daily basis.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some are.   There are many,  many people (some of them still needing to work) who can reasonably continue going to work or getting out and going about whatever it is they do while distancing measures are in place and the level of virus is suppressed.   There is enough in place for these people to retain something of their lives.   If we go to a policy of easing a lot of restrictions (as some advocate) and tell the shielding and vulnerable to choose hermitude or an increased vulnerability from more virus,  it effectively imposes a shitty dilemma on them.    Why are these people expected to bear more of a burden so that less vulnerable people get what they want?    It's portrayed as some kind of solution but it's never as simple as people believe... sorry,  pretend.

I still don’t see how we can keep the world in limbo until there’s a vaccine or potential vaccine. People are waiting for this silver bullet which may never come. 
At some point - and the tipping point is coming fairly soon - we’re going to have to try let this rip through society. 
Imo that is. This nonsense just can’t go on. 

The Ebola virus is rather successful at going to ground after it's taken a clobbering from that pesky ***** science.   It has a sneaky ability to retreat to a reservoir of virus in the animal kingdom and occasionally lowp out into the light and start wreaking havoc.    It seems to successfully survive,  while being rather deadly, whilst not killing all the hosts it has it's beady eyes on.   

Maybe we should let Ebola loose to weaken itself over years.   Someone sneak into Porton Down and chore a flask while they're having a cuppa.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

London's current cases and deaths are among the lowest in the UK. When anyone refers to death and case rates without reference to population they are talking meaningless nonsense and I never do that!. 

Here are some examples FA.

The borough I live in  has an infection rate of 26 per 100,00, the average across England is 28. In Edinburgh the infection rate is 85 per 100,000 and the average in Scotland is 39. 

I live in Westminster.

As you say, it is a pointless debate other than trying to learn the lessons about what's being done right and what's being done wrong. 

I still don’t see how we can keep the world in limbo until there’s a vaccine or potential vaccine. People are waiting for this silver bullet which may never come. 
At some point - and the tipping point is coming fairly soon - we’re going to have to try let this rip through society. 

This is exactly where I'm at with it now, would not be sensible to shield the people who need to be for health reasons and let everybody else get back to normal?

Agreed.   But we don't even know if letting it live unchecked will really solve anything either.   Herd immunity is only a theory.    It may not even have a threshhold of herd immunity that sustains.   It really is a ****er of a problem.

I will be quite happy in having a vaccine which has been developed in the UK and has passed it's phase 3 clinical trials.

heartstastic

Follow the 'science' peeps..people sliding into poverty everywhere and they are spending funds on study's like this...it's all becoming a very bad joke.

KJDA2NH.jpg

heartstastic
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I will be quite happy in having a vaccine which has been developed in the UK and has passed it's phase 3 clinical trials.

Would you be as happy knowing that they are removing all liability from you being able to sue should any complications arise?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/distributing-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19-and-flu/consultation-document-changes-to-human-medicine-regulations-to-support-the-rollout-of-covid-19-vaccines

heartstastic
5 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's fox news. 

Are you saying they made the study up or are they just reporting it?

https://nypost.com/2020/09/08/singing-happy-birthday-hand-washing-song-spreads-covid-study/

Study was from Sweden...B's & P's are covid spreaders....what does this do for Hearts songbook?

Edited by heartstastic

Fxxx the SPFL
30 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Here are some examples FA.

The borough I live in  has an infection rate of 26 per 100,00, the average across England is 28. In Edinburgh the infection rate is 85 per 100,000 and the average in Scotland is 39. 

I live in Westminster.

As you say, it is a pointless debate other than trying to learn the lessons about what's being done right and what's being done wrong. 

i personally beleive that London is deliberately underplaying the number of positive cases they know fine well that they can't and won't put London into lockdown again for economic reasons. there has been plenty of social media stuff pictures etc showing parties in gardens outside boozers in Soho. i despair for the young when they decide to lift all restrictions so many millions out of work with no jobs depressing suicides will inevitably increase substantially my daughter who works in one of Scotland's main hospitals testing blood has already said that in her region suicides have already increased over the same period as last year.  

JudyJudyJudy
53 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yes I know a few older people / vulnerable and they Are about and about . There is also more media reports of older adults wantin. To see their relatives but can’t due to being in care Homes . 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Hospital - 154

ICU - 17

Deaths - 3

Numbers are still going up, nearly double the Hospital admissions since last week, one thing though - 1st time round the death numbers at this stage always went up, so a reduction is a sign that this isn't quite the same as last time, things are more under control - measures and treatments etc

It would seem so , here’s hoping 🤞 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic