Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry to hear about your accident. Yep, totally agree, and always encourage my kids to wear theirs.

Came off my bike once seriously in China, while cycling down some concrete steps. Went arse over tit and bike landed on my head, smashing my chin into a guttering thing. Went to the 24-hour pharmacy and patched it up myself such was my fear of the hospitals over there.

Also got a mate from Glasgow -  a brilliant guitarist and all round good guy despite being a Celtic fan - who came off his bike just outside of Turpan and suffered brain damage.

Got all the scare stories I can handle. But I'd still rather not wear a helmet, thanks. Should always be my choice. As should a mask.

Glad to hear you survived, and hope the arm is feeling better.

It is, thanks.

And I agree it should be a personal choice, but with an appreciation of the risk.

I hope you keep enjoying your altogether more interesting, than mine, cycling experiences

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Crash helmets are still not compulsory for cyclists. Risky.

I find it crazy that some cyclists don’t wear helmets . Even the slightest head injury can cause long term chronic disabilities for the victim . I recall supporting a guy years ago who was  in a senior professional job, a car crashed into his bike and he was left with serious chronic brain  injury which affected his behaviours , communication  And his Cognitive and physical abilities (He  was in a whee chair) he was on a Cathater plus incontinance pads . Heart breaking really .  He didn’t have a helmet on the day of the collision . 

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

9D431CC2-AE38-4B51-BFB2-23DCBC116F35.jpeg

You're just trying to get a rise out of folks or trolling, if you like, with your consistent posting of utter pish, like this, or ironically the mask meme. Masks? 🤔

You don't believe in it. You've secured some kind of exemption from masks, which if I may add you pissed and moaned about from day 1.

Go out. Get on with your life. Coronavirus is clearly a conspiracy and even if it wasn't you've got a plastic card and a lanyard, which it appears Covid respects. 

Meanwhile the rest of us will keep on keeping on. Trying to get through it. 

8 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

This is what the absurd zoomers on this thread can't get their nappers around. The British public are, in the main, utter ringpieces* and I'm pretty sure it's not just the behaviour of the virus that's being factored in to the science we are being told to follow. 

*see thread for evidence. 

Sadly I think you are right, but I think both governments are choosing political decisions over following the science, and causing complete confusion and now a sense of apathy amongst the public.

All we needed was a means to enforce the rules we had previously such as fining those refusing to wear masks without good reason or attending mass gatherings.

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You're just trying to get a rise out of folks or trolling, if you like, with your consistent posting of utter pish, like this, or ironically the mask meme. Masks? 🤔

You don't believe in it. You've secured some kind of exemption from masks, which if I may add you pissed and moaned about from day 1.

Go out. Get on with your life. Coronavirus is clearly a conspiracy and even if it wasn't you've got a plastic card and a lanyard, which it appears Covid respects. 

Pretty much this.    The thread has become an echo chamber of sneering imbeciles.   Aside from a few of the opponents of the current strategies who can actually conduct an intelligent argument,   it's a race to the bottom.    

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

Have never worn a bicyclet helmet, despite riding thousands of miles around Scotland, China, and East Turkestan. Alive to tell the tale.

Look, @FWJ is a sound poster on here, so I'm not going to go into a battle of who could care less with him, and Enzo, it's clear our views chime on the Covid-flu, so let's leave it at that. The world is a beautiful place - let's enjoy it.

Why would any sensible person not wear a helmet when cycling?

37 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Well said 

There's not a single thing wrong with being unconcerned regarding your own personal risk.   Totally legitimate thing.   If you're with some friends on a yacht off the coast of some Caribbean island in waters known to often contain the odd predatory shark,  your friends don't want to risk a swim but you decide to lowp over the side,   you've pretty much limited the risk to you alone.   You'll either have a nice swim and jump back on board or you might be scranned by Mr.Hammerhead.     There's no such thing as limiting risk to oneself in this context.   All the measures asked of people are partly or mainly to protect others.    An indeterminate number people you don't even know.   They in turn protect others,  perhaps you.   If you opt out of this cooperative scheme,   essentially you've decided to place the burden on other people.    You have no regard for the fate of others.    Some of these opt-outs argue that there are many people suffering from non-CV related things.   Like they suddenly care about other people?   No... the two sentiments are incompatible.    If you give a shit about the woman who might die of cancer due to covid being too important,   why do you not care about the old lady who could die of covid three or four infection links down the line from you?

Can't stomach the social distancing rules and wont obey them?   Justify your opposition by bemoaning non-CV illnesses?    Then you're a ****ing hypocrite acting out a dog-eat-dog existence.

Edited by Victorian

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I thought you were better than that, Vic.

That's the truth though.   I'm not going to show some of these characters any courtesy when it's badly lacking in turn.

53 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There's not a single thing wrong with being unconcerned regarding your own personal risk.   Totally legitimate thing.   If you're with some friends on a yacht off the coast of some Caribbean island in waters known to often contain the odd predatory shark,  your friends don't want to risk a swim but you decide to lowp over the side,   you've pretty much limited the risk to you alone.   You'll either have a nice swim and jump back on board or you might be scranned by Mr.Hammerhead.     There's no such thing as limiting risk to oneself in this context.   All the measures asked of people are partly or mainly to protect others.    An indeterminate number people you don't even know.   They in turn protect others,  perhaps you.   If you opt out of this cooperative scheme,   essentially you've decided to place the burden on other people.    You have no regard for the fate of others.    Some of these opt-outs argue that there are many people suffering from non-CV related things.   Like they suddenly care about other people?   No... the two sentiments are incompatible.    If you give a shit about the woman who might die of cancer due to covid being too important,   why do you not care about the old lady who could die of covid three or four infection links down the line from you?

Can't stomach the social distancing rules and wont obey them?   Justify your opposition by bemoaning non-CV illnesses?    Then you're a ****ing hypocrite acting out a dog-eat-dog existence.

It is a dog eat dog existence though and always has been. It would be better if it wasn't, however the approach to covid is completely at odds with how we approach everything else. Should we approach everything with such overwhelming empathy? Quite probably imo. Until we display we care about poverty, about environmental destruction, about massive wealth imbalance and a lack of community then I can't fault people for finding this current juxtaposition hard to comprehend, it's at odds with everything our leaders and those in power have championed for decades. It's entirely at odds with the capitalism people have grown to operate in. Were told work hard, make money, buy things, buy a car, buy a house and then suddenly millions of people's means to doing that is put in jeopardy because all of a sudden we've now decided to care about the something that really isn't a risk to most of those people living in that bubble. It no wonder people are rallying against it. If it's because their selfish, it's only because their environment has made them that way. If people really cared about the elderly and vulnerable then there wouldn't have been so many in care homes left exposed to the virus in the first place. "Yeh but my job/family/house/lifestyle prevent me from looking after my parents" is no more selfish or lacking empathy than saying "my job/family/house/lifestyle prevent me from accepting these restrictions".

If this is a start of a shift to a better world then great. But I won't count my chickens. We'll be back to normal being told spend, spend, buy, buy, earn, earn in the blink of an eye and everyone will go back to not giving a jot what impact their actions have on others they'll never meet. 

57 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The biggest lie about the whole farce was the one about masks only helping others. Because our leaders did not trust the proletariat to put on a mask safely, or because they thought the NHS may run out of masks - their problem not ours - they perpetuated the myth that masks could stop the virus getting out but not in. To embellish the lie, they started referring to them as face coverings.  Had they wanted full compliance they should have told the truth; a medical grade mask FFP2 or 3 WILL protect the wearer . Yes, it also protects others because it stops the virus getting in or out. I wear one to protect myself which is the purpose of it. Expecting people to comply out of some kind of civic duty, was naive in the extreme.  That would have come through full compliance anyway.

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The biggest lie about the whole farce was the one about masks only helping others. Because our leaders did not trust the proletariat to put on a mask safely, or because they thought the NHS may run out of masks - their problem not ours - they perpetuated the myth that masks could stop the virus getting out but not in. To embellish the lie, they started referring to them as face coverings.  Had they wanted full compliance they should have told the truth; a medical grade mask FFP2 or 3 WILL protect the wearer . Yes, it also protects others because it stops the virus getting in or out. I wear one to protect myself which is the purpose of it. Expecting people to comply out of some kind of civic duty, was naive in the extreme.  That would have come through full compliance anyway.

This is just rambling about nothing at all. 

12 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

This is just rambling about nothing at all. 

It's highlighting an important point about the conflicting and erroneous messaging around masks. 

jack D and coke
29 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It is a dog eat dog existence though and always has been. It would be better if it wasn't, however the approach to covid is completely at odds with how we approach everything else. Should we approach everything with such overwhelming empathy? Quite probably imo. Until we display we care about poverty, about environmental destruction, about massive wealth imbalance and a lack of community then I can't fault people for finding this current juxtaposition hard to comprehend, it's at odds with everything our leaders and those in power have championed for decades. It's entirely at odds with the capitalism people have grown to operate in. Were told work hard, make money, buy things, buy a car, buy a house and then suddenly millions of people's means to doing that is put in jeopardy because all of a sudden we've now decided to care about the something that really isn't a risk to most of those people living in that bubble. It no wonder people are rallying against it. If it's because their selfish, it's only because their environment has made them that way. If people really cared about the elderly and vulnerable then there wouldn't have been so many in care homes left exposed to the virus in the first place. "Yeh but my job/family/house/lifestyle prevent me from looking after my parents" is no more selfish or lacking empathy than saying "my job/family/house/lifestyle prevent me from accepting these restrictions".

If this is a start of a shift to a better world then great. But I won't count my chickens. We'll be back to normal being told spend, spend, buy, buy, earn, earn in the blink of an eye and everyone will go back to not giving a jot what impact their actions have on others they'll never meet. 

Yep👍🏼
If someone had told you in March you could be fined for entering someone’s house you’d have thought they were mad...this is now reality in some parts of the uk..that is utterly insane. 
The way some people are egging on and encouraging this kind of policing I find mind blowing too. 
We all better pray for a vaccine. 

12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yep👍🏼
If someone had told you in March you could be fined for entering someone’s house you’d have thought they were mad...this is now reality in some parts of the uk..that is utterly insane. 
The way some people are egging on and encouraging this kind of policing I find mind blowing too. 

Would you even take the vaccine? Not sure I’d bother.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why would any sensible person not wear a helmet when cycling?

Because life isn't all about being sensible.

54 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's not exactly a high bar but I'd say this is the best post in the thread for a long time 👍

56 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Excellent post  :clap:

49 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I didn't mention masks.   I talked about social distancing.   Have another read to confirm.    Masks are a bit more subjective but reckless disregard for cooperative social distancing is quite another thing.    

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I agree with you, it is total madness, sometimes if I take a step back I can't believe some of the things I've said or agreed with during this, like you say I'd have never believed it in February or before.

However there has been plenty on here who have expressed the view that if it's not legally enforced then why bother or have to follow the advice? You can see why Governments are finding this difficult.

I pray (expression only not religious) for normality, especially smashing the Hobos in front of a full house with no mask in site!!

I watched some videos of the derbys from last season and it honestly makes me want to weep. Its anyone’s guess before we’ll be going in such numbers to enjoy our lives again without all this paranoia about everyone around us being disease ridden. 
I think some peoples lives are ruined tbh. Genuinely. 

13 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Would you even take the vaccine? Not sure I’d bother.

I honestly don’t know tbh. I’ve probably put a lot worse into my system over the years 😐

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yep👍🏼

I'm not sure that people have the right to complain about harsher measures when they couldn't be arsed sticking to the more lenient ones. If people had just stuck to the guidelines as they were around a month ago, we'd all still be living with a degree of normality right now and these fines wouldn't be a thing.

But no, people had to take the piss, throw house parties, ignore the rules, not wear masks (exactly what was egged on by the views of several posters on here) and this is where we have ended up.

40 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yep👍🏼

Yep ! How far will it go ? It’s concerning . People just passively agreeing , well not even agreeing just accepting without any arguments / debate / fight against various severe retractions on their personal lives , home and contacts . 

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm not sure that people have the right to complain about harsher measures when they couldn't be arsed sticking to the more lenient ones. If people had just stuck to the guidelines as they were around a month ago, we'd all still be living with a degree of normality right now and these fines wouldn't be a thing.

But no, people had to take the piss, throw house parties, ignore the rules, not wear masks (exactly what was egged on by the views of several posters on here) and this is where we have ended up.

16520A08-AF6A-400A-8BF3-DB0EFC0BD700.jpeg

Come out today that an estimated 1,000,000 women have missed mammograms due to Covid suspensions, resulting in an estimated 8,500 women living with undiagnosed breast cancer.

Pretty frightening. 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, moogsy said:

Come out today that an estimated 1,000,000 women have missed mammograms due to Covid suspensions, resulting in an estimated 8,500 women living with undiagnosed breast cancer.

Pretty frightening. 

If only those women had followed the guidelines and done what they were told then there wouldn't be the need for... oh wait... :(

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, moogsy said:

Pretty frightening. 

Absolutely awful for these people. I just thank my lucky stars I’m not in need of any treatments atm. It would be a frightening and unbelievably stressful. 

Wtf is going on man. 

Edited by jack D and coke

4 minutes ago, moogsy said:

Pretty frightening. 

No matter what angle we look at this from, that has to be unacceptable. 

I also see the blame is slowly shifting from students to people who went on holiday. Whatever distracts from the government's failings. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54346001

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If only those women had followed the guidelines and done what they were told then there wouldn't be the need for... oh wait... :(

Sadly the more people we have going around spreading Covid, the longer those delays are going to get. 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Dog eat dog is totally unacceptable when it boils down to people opting out of reasonable social distancing responsibility.    There is no such thing as personal liability only.   People can't out-smart a virus.    One person saying **** it,   I'm just ignoring these rules can mean consequences for other people.    

Imagine being aware that refusing to try to take part in reasonable social distancing could,  quite easily,   result in some indeterminate number of people falling seriously ill or dying.    There is no rationale or justification for saying that is an acceptable price to pay for the sake of being a gutless ***** (not you) and wanting your own life to carry on without any restriction.

Edited by Victorian

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm not sure what relevance the view of this chiropractor and anti-vax goon has to my post.

I'm not backing the guy up but does being a chiropractor and against vaccinations mean that your opinion on anything is wrong?

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I'm not backing the guy up but does being a chiropractor and against vaccinations mean that your opinion on anything is wrong?

Yep if only he was a dentist... 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Not necessarily. 

1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Yep if only he was a dentist... 

A dentist being advised by a panel of epidemiologists, virologists and other scientists and health experts. 

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Sadly the more people we have going around spreading Covid, the longer those delays are going to get. 

These are the misfortunate casualties of the previous round of service withdrawals when the polulation (apart from some prominent Tory advisor, obv) were largely compliant with government decree.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

A dentist being advised by a panel of epidemiologists, virologists and other scientists and health experts. 

Fair enough, I've read it again and you're right, it wasn't relevant to your post.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Tongue was in cheek 

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Against vaccinations in general? I would say so.

15 hours ago, Victorian said:

I'm going down the cycling neck gaiter route.    

They are one step away from useless mate. I got a couple for going back to work. Firstly you have to constantly fiddle with them as they fall down, secondly they just aren't good at protecting other people. Best sticking with the medical masks.

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

These are the misfortunate casualties of the previous round of service withdrawals when the polulation (apart from some prominent Tory advisor, obv) were largely compliant with government decree.

Yes, and do you think the new outbreak will help speed things up? 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Because life isn't all about being sensible.

Anyone who doesn’t wear helmet is a complete twit.

not only are you putting yourself at risk, you are also putting others well-being at risk too - If a driver knocks you over you’re more likely to die if you don’t have a helmet on - which is not fair on that driver either.

46 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm not sure what relevance the view of this chiropractor and anti-vax goon has to my post.

You the one rambling on about “ cases “ 

1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

You the one rambling on about “ cases “ 

Please highlight the part of my post that was rambling on about cases. 

I suspect that dentists (any dentist, not just one that also studied epidemiology at Harvard University) know more about viruses, their transmission and associated pathology than the majority of people posting on this thread.

20 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

not only are you putting yourself at risk, you are also putting others well-being at risk too - If a driver knocks you over you’re more likely to die if you don’t have a helmet on - which is not fair on that driver either.

I'm not a twit, I wear a helmet if I intend to cycle no hands cos I'm on my mobile phone.

29 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Helmets. Yes.

Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes, and do you think the new outbreak will help speed things up? 

It's not a new outbreak, Ray, it's the same one, and it's got a way to go yet.

How long do you think we (as a society) should continue to suspend other vital services which are literally life-saving for thousands upon thousands of people? In fact, as your not an epidemologist/virologist/dentist/etc don't bother answering that.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic