Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Who suggested this?   I'm not sure you're the best at reading what's being said.   FA says that parliament was wrong to grant executive powers to the government.   That happened back in March.   Not being able to revisit March with today's knowledge is the entire point.   It's hindsight masquerading as foresight.    

We could have and should have  revisited the decision made in March sometime in the last 6 months. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Francis Albert said:

We could have and should have  revisited the decision made in March sometime in the last 6 months. 

We could have... but that's more hindsight.   At no point has there ever been a sense in government or parliament that the situation has stabilised to enable that.   God willing that could be true in the near future.

Good shift of the goalposts though.   Were they heavy?

Adam_the_legend
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Who suggested this?   I'm not sure you're the best at reading what's being said.   FA says that parliament was wrong to grant executive powers to the government.   That happened back in March.   Not being able to revisit March with today's knowledge is the entire point.   It's hindsight masquerading as foresight.    

I love being patronised so thanks for that. I replied to your reply to FA where you highlighted the following:

in.the face of an infection that will kill fewer people than the actions of the government to which parliament surrendered its powers. 

You then said:

Hindsight is a poor substitute for foresight.

My point, which I’m having to repeat as you also seem to have reading comprehension issues, was specifically relating to these points. I personally don’t have any issue with the granting of those powers in extraordinary circumstances but was trying to bring the conversation forward to now and what we should be doing to move the country forward.  

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We could have... but that's more hindsight.   At no point has there ever been a sense in government or parliament that the situation has stabilised to enable that.   God willing that could be true in the near future.

Good shift of the goalposts though.   Were they heavy?

6 months of subversion of the principle of parliamentary democracy seems a justification for revisiting it sometime during that time. That it didn't happen is further evidence of parliaments dereliction of its fundamental  duty and reason for existence.

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I love being patronised so thanks for that. I replied to your reply to FA where you highlighted the following:

in.the face of an infection that will kill fewer people than the actions of the government to which parliament surrendered its powers. 

You then said:

Hindsight is a poor substitute for foresight.

My point, which I’m having to repeat as you also seem to have reading comprehension issues, was specifically relating to these points. I personally don’t have any issue with the granting of those powers in extraordinary circumstances but was trying to bring the conversation forward to now and what we should be doing to move the country forward.  

I appreciate what you're doing but my comments relate to what FA is going on about.     How difficult is that to understand?     If you have something to add,  you clearly do,   it's got very little to do with the specific exchange between FA and myself.    

Adam_the_legend
10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Covid 13 Others 1687. Yesterdays UK death score.

Using Victorian’s covid weighting system that 1687 are just collateral damage and not important. And vic, I’m being facetious so need to freak out and accuse me of misquoting you 🙄

3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

says it all really. 

What says it all?    You were extended sympathy but the world is what it is.    People have become collateral damage.    Me saying it changes nothing.    I can't offer you more than sympathy.    

2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Using Victorian’s covid weighting system that 1687 are just collateral damage and not important. And vic, I’m being facetious so need to freak out and accuse me of misquoting you 🙄

I'm a realist mate.    I can't and wont sugar coat my views but I can offer sympathy.    I can see my sympathy has been chewed up and spat at me.    Wont make the same mistake again.

19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Should also add that I was challenged by someone else for supposedly calling him a clown after showing him sympathy.   This is patently incorrect.   Then I get you wading in to criticise me for showing him sympathy.    You couldn't make this shit up.

Is eyesight or ability to read on the list of symptoms now?

This is what you said "I sympathise for your personal circumstances but you're sort of emphasising through the prism of personal circumstances.    This is not an event that can be managed on the basis of ensuring zero jeopardy to all people.    I hope you have better fortunes soon though."    Ofcourse he is going to see things from his perspective like most people.    You completely lack sympathy or empathy in regards to the real human stories and effects that these restrictions have had on a high percentage of the population. Your mantra is always the same, keep infections low, localised lockdowns blah blah blah without any objectivity about the future, apart from your usual predictions of rising infections and deaths. 

1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

This is what you said "I sympathise for your personal circumstances but you're sort of emphasising through the prism of personal circumstances.    This is not an event that can be managed on the basis of ensuring zero jeopardy to all people.    I hope you have better fortunes soon though."    Ofcourse he is going to see things from his perspective like most people.    You completely lack sympathy or empathy in regards to the real human stories and effects that these restrictions have had on a high percentage of the population. Your mantra is always the same, keep infections low, localised lockdowns blah blah blah without any objectivity about the future, apart from your usual predictions of rising infections and deaths. 

Yep.   Offering sympathy = completely lack sympathy.    You got me Poirot.

Adam_the_legend
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

What says it all?    You were extended sympathy but the world is what it is.    People have become collateral damage.    Me saying it changes nothing.    I can't offer you more than sympathy.    

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm a realist mate.    I can't and wont sugar coat my views but I can offer sympathy.    I can see my sympathy has been chewed up and spat at me.    Wont make the same mistake again.

My situation and that of millions of others in this country is not due to the virus, it’s due to our governments response to the virus. You seem to be saying what’s happened to me is sad but it’s basically collateral damage. Surely there is a valid argument the other way. If you get ill or die from covid it’s very sad but we can’t send our country down the tubes for a relatively small number of deaths and so it’s sad if you get covid but you’re just collateral damage.

i think both approaches are incredibly harsh tbh. We need to do our very best to reduce the impact of the virus WHILST keeping everyone else safe and employed. IMO we’re not doing that right now. 

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yep.   Offering sympathy = completely lack sympathy.    You got me Poirot.

Your "sympathy" is more like giving him a cuddle then whacking him over the head with a hammer ! :) As you probably best not to offer your kind of " sympathy" just stick to the hard clinical facts, you have a distinct lack of the human touch. 

Just now, Adam_the_legend said:

My situation and that of millions of others in this country is not due to the virus, it’s due to our governments response to the virus. You seem to be saying what’s happened to me is sad but it’s basically collateral damage. Surely there is a valid argument the other way. If you get ill or die from covid it’s very sad but we can’t send our country down the tubes for a relatively small number of deaths and so it’s sad if you get covid but you’re just collateral damage.

i think both approaches are incredibly harsh tbh. We need to do our very best to reduce the impact of the virus WHILST keeping everyone else safe and employed. IMO we’re not doing that right now. 

That is what I'm saying,  yes.    Harsh?   Yes.   I didn't make it harsh though.    I'm still not into sugar coating stuff for people.

I think they have tried to strike a balance to do the things you say.    Maybe the balance isn't right yet.    But I do not equate some people being dealt a harsh hand with the governments failing to try to do the best for the maximum number of people.    Individuals harshly affected might naturally believe so of course.

I myself stand to be badly affected by this event.    I haven't posted the specifics because I accept that these are my problems.   What I will do is to take control of events and make the most of it.

You have my sympathy.   Others do as well.    

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

That is what I'm saying,  yes.    Harsh?   Yes.   I didn't make it harsh though.    I'm still not into sugar coating stuff for people.

I think they have tried to strike a balance to do the things you say.    Maybe the balance isn't right yet.    But I do not equate some people being dealt a harsh hand with the governments failing to try to do the best for the maximum number of people.    Individuals harshly affected might naturally believe so of course.

I myself stand to be badly affected by this event.    I haven't posted the specifics because I accept that these are my problems.   What I will do is to take control of events and make the most of it.

You have my sympathy.   Others do as well.    

fair enough but when I said in an earlier reply to you that you were essentially prepared to sacrifice the rest of the people in this country for those affected by covid you were apoplectic. Seems like you are now saying exactly that. 

2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

fair enough but when I said in an earlier reply to you that you were essentially prepared to sacrifice the rest of the people in this country for those affected by covid you were apoplectic. Seems like you are now saying exactly that. 

Well you were wrong and still are.    I'm not prepared to sacrifice anything.    I'm not involved in the decisions.    Away from the insanity of things I haven't said is the thing I am saying.    I said some of it in the previous post.    

One person understanding that some people have become collateral damage,   regardless of whether they agree or disagree with the government's policies,   never means they agree that those people should be collateral damage.    You can't and will not project those sentiments upon me.

Sacrifice is such a provocative,  emotive term to apply in any case.    Not one person has become a sacrifice.    Governments have made mistakes and people have suffered badly.    Governments have openly admitted they are unable to shield everyone from harm.    It's a really shitty lottery.

2 hours ago, SectionFJambo said:

No but they can do something about the groups of guys and girls from one household and have policies that deter the mass rule evaders.

This 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Is there a second leg? Cause that's an impressive away goal tally. Covid's got some work to do.

im hearing the new signing long covid will be fit for the second leg so those away goals will be needed

4 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

Mental how they can say these jobs aren't viable when its their daft imposed restrictions which are making them unviable :lol:

Edited by Heartsmad1874

8 hours ago, heartstastic said:

Some common sense from one of the Tory Mp's

Some balls to come out with that speech 

Comes across better there than Boris ever has 

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

After reading things this morning it seems for the first time people are standing up to government now and have had enough 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I know you were responding to Frankie A. but if we apply the same logic that most governments have to Covid, then we'd immediately ban all ICE-powered travel, close ALL airports indefinitely, and ban and prosecute all producers of tobacco, alcohol and jink food products. But they won't, because they can't tax covid.

That's the conflicting nature of it. Fair enough if everyone in favour of the restrictions doesn't drive, fly, use mobile phones, buy cheap clothes or create unrecyclable waste then at least they are being consistent but I doubt it.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I know you were responding to Frankie A. but if we apply the same logic that most governments have to Covid, then we'd immediately ban all ICE-powered travel, close ALL airports indefinitely, and ban and prosecute all producers of tobacco, alcohol and jink food products. But they won't, because they can't tax covid.

Yes, exactly Jonesy. Again, the big question comes back to Why? Why have we effectively tried to eliminate all Covid risk,  riding roughshod over every day liberties,  crashing the economy etc? Why? When so many other illnesses and risks kill so many more people every single day? By all means advise everyone to sanitise hands, try to socially distance etc, wear a mask indoors...and yes, an FFP2/3 standard DOES protect the wearer....but if people choose not to follow that advice then that's their choice, as it is with all the other health advice dispensed by Governments.  Why?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
51 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

What measure would you introduce to reduce the 1687 deaths? If we just return to February all these people are still going to die so how do we address the other issues with proper sensible measures?

define proper sensible - appears measures resulting in lots of job losses are fine - so I’d go for a few of these -

banning of alcohol cigarettes and sugar and salt reduced to an absolute minimum - everyone has to take to be weighed before buying cakes etc

FAs suggestion of re-introducing the person walking in front of vehicles with a flag will cut road deaths to near zero

vaccines developed specifically for bee-stings adder bites etc

continue this lockdown measures or full lockdown during flu season

all taxes raised to a level to where people only have very minimal disposable income with these increased taxes going to the nhs and to subsidise the good guys r&d at the pharma companies

full study on likelihood of choking on steak etc with the more dangerous cooking methods banned - also maybe a ban on people with false teeth eating steak for their own good obviously

any industry producing unacceptable pollution now no longer viable and closed

that should cut a few

we can all sit and tune into the graph to see the numbers as many of us will have a lot of time on our hands and little income - all for the greater good tho

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
35 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

they don’t look 2 metres apart either - face to face - animated talking

absolute shambles

:lion:

8 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

they don’t look 2 metres apart either - face to face - animated talking

absolute shambles

:lion:

It's from March 2019.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

What measure would you introduce to reduce the 1687 deaths? If we just return to February all these people are still going to die so how do we address the other issues with proper sensible measures?

Not really the point - it is more about a sense of perspective.

But we could spend more money on the health service and public health generally for example but since we have destroyed the economy to "save" us from Covid19 more cutbacks are probably more likely.

And of course many of the deaths we have been counting (and overcounting) in the Covid19 column since February would also have happened.

PS I see others have replied.

I'd just add that if we really cared about saving lives (and if all lives really did matter) we could save millions, even tens of millions in sub-Saharan Africa alone at a fraction of the cost of the Covid19 measures 

Edited by Francis Albert

51 minutes ago, theshed said:

After reading things this morning it seems for the first time people are standing up to government now and have had enough 

What have you read?

The Real Maroonblood
55 minutes ago, theshed said:

Start of the revolution.

5 hours ago, connlach said:

Florida more or less fully reopening. After being seen as the worlds basket case have they seen the pain or a second wave to come?

FB_IMG_1601346587565.jpg

Florida has had 430 deaths and 11,425 cases in the past week. I'm going with "continuing to be the world's basket case".

38 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Florida has had 430 deaths and 11,425 cases in the past week. I'm going with "continuing to be the world's basket case".

It has dropped off significantly though, will be interesting to monitor to see if it spikes again.

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The bun fights are brilliant.

Come on man, give some credit where it's due.

Intellectual bun fights.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic