Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, whodanny said:

My daughter is a runner, dancer and also hillwalks with me when she can. She's now stuck in her halls of residence flat and can't get out to do the things she loves. Don't judge folk by your own standards rA. She'd like to come home to visit but she'll have to content herself with her view of Glasgow from the window for the time being.

I'd go home if it was me. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Who's a taxi driver? I did it for 3 months during lockdown. Those lazy fecks couldn't do my job, putting new roof coverings over open rafters in all weather. Their arse would collapse. 

While seemingly posting on JKB all day, quite the multi tasker 😉

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I'd go home if it was me. 

So she comes home and my wife and I have to isolate for two weeks, some solution.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

That statistics tomorrow will definitely show a significant ("concerning") rise. Whether that reflects the truth, is another matter.

Oh yes it’ll be another Oscar winning performance from NS when she expresses her “ concerns “ Meryl Streep eat your heart oot 

2 minutes ago, whodanny said:

While seemingly posting on JKB all day, quite the multi tasker 😉

September weekend. Site shut today. And I've hardly been on here. 

Having a cider treat after fitting a nice new lammy flair in one of my spare bedrooms. 👍

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sad sacks moaning coz they cannae stay out til 11. 😭 🙏 Let us pray for these alkies souls and mental health. There's nae point worrying about their physical health. 

Not quite like that though is it? On any given weekend you'd have the usual licensing in a bar set around 1.00am. This leaves the usual filter of people heading home between say 22.00 and 01.00, a 3 hour window. Then you have the clubbers heading home between 02.00 and 04.00, a further 2 hour window. Now, every man and his dug is on the street at 22.00 looking for public transport home; an absolute shambles of a strategy. 

Oh, and just because you like a drink after 22.00, it doesn't make you an alkie.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

Oh yes it’ll be another Oscar winning performance from NS when she expresses her “ concerns “ Meryl Streep eat your heart oot 

:rofl:

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I didn't realise Scots were a bunch fecking wimps. I suppose 6 years ago should gave me a clue. 

😭 Boo fecking hoo! 

What the **** has the Indy Ref got to do with my daughter being stuck in her halls ?  Apart from shite decision making by the Scottish Government of course. And before you go down that road, I'm an SNP and Yes voter. 

September weekend. Site shut today. And I've hardly been on here. 

Having a cider treat after fitting a nice new lammy flair in one of my spare bedrooms. 👍

Lammy flairs and cider celebrations, you'll be too knackered for yer work the morn.

New restrictions in the Netherlands starting tomorrow (translation might be a bit off at times)

* The number of infections, IC and hospital admissions is not going well. These numbers are sure to add up in the coming days. We now have to take measures to bring the R-value (1.3) back below 1 (0.9).

* Additional measures are being taken nationally. The goal is: “Prevent a lock down by drastically limiting (social) contacts over the next 3 weeks. To this end, we take national measures that intervene harshly in our lives. Many people and (sports / catering) locations have adhered well to the guidelines, but it is not enough to bring the R-value down. Hence the measures, not as a punishment, but because it is necessary.
* The national standard for groups (also at home) will be max 4.
* Nationwide: working from home is the norm. Employers must strictly enforce this. They are held accountable for violations. Closure of a site up to 14 days can be the result of a violation.
* Nationwide: there will be a registration for contact professions, so that the BCO becomes more feasible.
* Nationwide: a maximum of 30 people applies per room indoors (so with a maximum of 4 people to a restaurant, where a maximum of 30 people are seated). A chairman of the security region may grant an exemption for a large hall that has proven to comply with the guidelines. This refers to Ahoy, Melkweg.
* Nationwide: outside is a maximum of 50 people (can be explained, because outside is safer).
* Nationwide: food and beverage outlets will have a walk-in stop at 9 p.m. and close at 10 p.m. Also the bar in the cinema.
* Nationwide: in case of transfer locations (museums, zoo), a reservation must be made in a time slot and a maximum number of visitors applies (depending on the location).
* Nationwide: no audience for sports, not for amateur sports, not for professionals.
* Nationwide: in the supermarket only access with a trolley, with a door policy. Cart is disinfected again. Vulnerable groups may get "block times" again.
* G3: Travel to and from Amsterdam (city), Rotterdam (city) and The Hague (city): only necessary trips are made to and from the 3 cities concerned. Vital processes are the exception, and so is a seriously ill mother. Education (basic, secondary) continues. For students, a meeting is still held with OCW today. Teachers' journey to school is a necessary journey.
* The measures will be evaluated on 20 October. The autumn holiday falls in this period. Hotel booking in the G3 will not be possible. You can book a house in Drenthe (but can someone from Amsterdam also do that? We will communicate about this in more detail…). The Ministry of Foreign Affairs calls attention to a clear message to (foreign) tourists.
* Today an evaluation report on face masks (from the Municipality of Amsterdam) will be submitted to the OMT for advice. This advice will come next week.
* Today MinJenV and the Presidents of the Safety Regions are still talking about the elaboration of the above measures. Something may change in detail.
* The measures will be announced in a press conference tonight. The measures will take effect on Tuesday 6 pm. 

1 minute ago, whodanny said:

What the **** has the Indy Ref got to do with my daughter being stuck in her halls ?  Apart from shite decision making by the Scottish Government of course. And before you go down that road, I'm an SNP and Yes voter. 

I wasn't talking to you, just my take on peoples attitudes recently. A bunch of girls blouses towards feck all. Wear a mask and self isolate when required. The PM and FM are under enough pressure without the general public acting like weans. 

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Those lazy fecks couldn't do my job, putting new roof coverings over open rafters in all weather. Their arse would collapse. 

Some of the folk I went to university with were the hardest working *******s you could ever meet, which is why you won't find them doing your job. 

You'd be more likely to find them living in the mansions with the large extensions you're putting roof coverings on in all weathers.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Governor Tarkin

The PM and FM are under enough pressure without the general public acting like weans. 

This is true and I completely agree, apart from the use of the word 'weans'. :seething:

Just now, ri Alban said:

I wasn't talking to you, just my take on peoples attitudes recently. A bunch of girls blouses towards feck all. Wear a mask and self isolate when required. The PM and FM are under enough pressure without the general public acting like weans. 

Well, fair enough I agree. But my daughter is stuck in her halls through no fault of her own. She's been away from home for just 2 weeks and was looking forward to Uni life. She doesn't drink, not interested in going to pubs, she likes to dance and run. She does stretch and yoga classes and a wee bit of gymnastics. She'd like to meet up with her pal in Glasgow and have a bit of lunch or a coffee. She can do none of these just now, not her fault. I just don't like her being stereotyped as "typical student". She's her own person. And definitely not lazy.

Samuel Camazzola
30 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The 10pm chuck-out will be gone within a fortnight.   Looks like it's causing a few headaches to say the least.    **** knows what they'll do about it though.

If the original times were not to remain, a blind man could have seen that extending the hours rather than shortening them would have been a better solution. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If the original times were not to remain, a blind man could have seen that extending the hours rather than shortening them would have been a better solution. 

Well the rationale was supposedly to reduce the alcohol induced lowering of inhibitions,  etc.     An early finishing time seems to be designed for that specific purpose.    But you only need to look at the consequences it has caused.   I think it's going to be a difficult fix.

300 Scottish house gatherings broken up by police over weekend.   14 arrests.   3 forced entries.

:vrface:

Plod turns up to kybosh your corona party and you don't answer the door and hope they just go away.   :rofl:

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

300 Scottish house gatherings broken up by police over weekend.   14 arrests.   3 forced entries.

Plod turns up to kybosh your corona party and you don't answer the door and hope they just go away.   :rofl:

That's more like it.

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

But people  should follow the rules laws and guidelines in place - and not be discouraged from doing so by anyone 

But in the UK governments are not elected nor do governments make law. Parliament is elected. All.these new rules and laws have been made by diktat of government ministers not by parliament which quite outrageously have been given  no say. The laws and regulations should perhaps be followed but if we are still a parliamentary democracy their imposition is something we are entitled to obstruct.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Completely agree on your first point. Have genuine concerns on the second. He doesn't post opinions, he posts windups/nodding-dog style posts.

As for FACTS... never heard of this. Could you post some kind of information poster to help clarify matters?

:biggrin2: Sorry, but this is all I could find. I hope it is what you were looking for. Good luck with your investment!

Figure_1.png

21 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's more like it.

They might have special constable positions available, Governor. I'm not sure to what extent you can pick your operations though.

Edited by redjambo

Francis Albert

Well the rationale was supposedly to reduce the alcohol induced lowering of inhibitions,  etc.     An early finishing time seems to be designed for that specific purpose.    But you only need to look at the consequences it has caused.   I think it's going to be a difficult fix.

An entirely predictable outcome of anyone who is old emough to remember the old 10pm lock down. But maybe none of those making these decisions do.

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But in the UK governments are not elected nor do governments make law. Parliament is elected. All.these new rules and laws have been made by diktat of government ministers not by parliament which quite outrageously have been given  no say. The laws and regulations should perhaps be followed but if we are still a parliamentary democracy their imposition is something we are entitled to obstruct.

Forgets that parliament voted to hand the executive more executive power to manage the situation.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

An entirely predictable outcome of anyone who is old emough to remember the old 10pm lock down. But maybe none of those making these decisions do.

Don't see any relevance to be honest.   Rigid chucking out laws of yesteryear did not have any hazardous epidemiological consequences.   It's obvious why the 10pm chuck out was tried but it's proving to be counter productive.    Really don't see any easy solution to it.    The easiest solution is actually to go much more hardline,  which nobody wants.   

Edited by Victorian

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Forgets that parliament voted to hand the executive more executive power to manage the situation.

Or remebers that parliament abnegated the resposibility it was elected to fulfil.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It looks like that power won't be extended on Wednesday if the Brady bunch get its way 

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Or remebers that parliament abnegated the resposibility it was elected to fulfil.

Nope.   A legitimate motion(s) was brought forward and our elected representatives decided to pass it/them.    Democracy acted out.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Don't see any relevance to be honest.   Rigid chucking out laws of yesteryear did not have any hazardous epidemiological consequences.   It's obvious why the 10pm chuck out was tried but it's proving to be counter productive.    Really don't see any easy solution to it.    The easiest solution is actually to go much more hardline,  which nobody wants.   

As posted above  3% of cases were coming from restaurants/bars before the curfew so why on earth put a curfew on it?? Simply no logic and now as you say its proving to be counter productive but who could have predicted at a curfew of 10pm everyone leaves together and all head for public transport.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It looks like that power won't be extended on Wednesday if the Brady bunch get its way 

Quite possibly.   If that's what they vote then more democracy in action.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Feckin hope so. That really will put a spanner in the works! 

Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

As posted above  3% of cases were coming from restaurants/bars before the curfew so why on earth put a curfew on it?? Simply no logic and now as you say its proving to be counter productive but who could have predicted at a curfew of 10pm everyone leaves together and all head for public transport.

Yeah,  but if viewed from the perspective of an attempt to prevenr alcohol induced lowering of inhibitions then it had some credibility.    The knock on effects have become all too stark and they'll need a huge rethink on it.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Why was the 10pm chuck out an obvious thing to try?  I have still seen no remotely convincing rationale for it. 

And while rigid chucking out laws in the past may have not have had "hazardous epidemiological consequences" (language is apparently another victim of Covid) those of who experienced it knew what the consequences were. Which was my.point.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nope.   A legitimate motion(s) was brought forward and our elected representatives decided to pass it/them.    Democracy acted out.

Or a shameful abnegation of responsibility soon to be reversed.

Why was the 10pm chuck out an obvious thing to try I have still seen no remotely convincing rationale for it. 

And while rigid chucking out laws in the past may have not have had "hazardous epidemiological consequences" (language apparently another victim of Covid) those of who experienced it knew what the consequences were. Which was my.point.

It was designed to reduce the amount of pissed up drinkers becoming too oblivious to social distancing inside premises.   It's failed.   But the reason was obvious.   To have missed the rationale is some effort.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Or a shameful abnegation of responsibility soon to be reversed.

Hysterics.   It was voted through on the basis of best intentions and an unknown scale of crisis.   Shameful my arse.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It was designed to reduce the amount of pissed up drinkers becoming too oblivious to social distancing inside premises.   It's failed.   But the reason was obvious.   To have missed the rationale is some effort.

The point was anyone with experience of 10pm chucking out time knew it was certain to.fail.

In fact anyone with an ounce of common sense knew it was certain to fail.

Edited by Francis Albert

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Democracy voted itself down the toilet

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Feckin hope so. That really will put a spanner in the works! 

There's been a lot of noise in parliament today about people's liberties. 

The Tory peers and backbenchers are immobilising 

The point was anyone with ecperience of 10pm chucking out time knew it was certain to.fail.

Probably true.   It will have to go.

Adam_the_legend
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Hysterics.   It was voted through on the basis of best intentions and an unknown scale of crisis.   Shameful my arse.

Giving the government these powers was the right thing to do at the time. Not giving those powers back is when things get dicey as history has shown many times. Last time I checked we live in a Parliamentary Democracy, our elected representatives should be able to challenge the decisions made by government and represent their constituents. 

16 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There's been a lot of noise in parliament today about people's liberties. 

The Tory peers and backbenchers are immobilising 

Good, personally despise the tories but we need a serious rebellion on the vote. From what I’ve read so far, BJ loses by 2. I’m not sure about what I’m about to write but I hope it’s true: Boris loses, Coronavirus 2020 Act no longer exists, all restrictions null and void 

6 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Giving the government these powers was the right thing to do at the time. Not giving those powers back is when things get dicey as history has shown many times. Last time I checked we live in a Parliamentary Democracy, our elected representatives should be able to challenge the decisions made by government and represent their constituents. 

The powers were always going to be temporary.    The one thing MPs need to carefully consider right now is whether or not they end up restricting the executive from enacting particular decisions within a time sensitive period of time.   Are there are any potential things that need to be done immediately that the executive is prevented from doing?   

Edited by Victorian

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, whodanny said:

Well, fair enough I agree. But my daughter is stuck in her halls through no fault of her own. She's been away from home for just 2 weeks and was looking forward to Uni life. She doesn't drink, not interested in going to pubs, she likes to dance and run. She does stretch and yoga classes and a wee bit of gymnastics. She'd like to meet up with her pal in Glasgow and have a bit of lunch or a coffee. She can do none of these just now, not her fault. I just don't like her being stereotyped as "typical student". She's her own person. And definitely not lazy.

The Unis just wanted the rent money for the halls. It was always going to end badly. She has been conned by the Uni

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The powers were always going to be temporary.    The one thing MPs need to carefully consider right now is whether or not they end up restricting the executive from enacting particular decisions within a time sensitive period of time.   Are there are any potential things that need to be done immediately that the executive is prevented from doing?   

Famous last words...

MP’s need to be able to represent their constituents and give them a voice. As someone who has just been made redundant and struggling to find a new job in the current market I want to make sure the government are considering every element rather than everything being viewed through the prism of Covid. My 6 year old ending up homeless is too big a price to pay, I want my elected representative to communicate that to the people making the decisions. 

Francis Albert

In 1933 the German Parliament  voted for an enabling act which gave the cabinet in effect Hitler the power to govern by decree. Now our current equivalent unlike that precedent will hopefully be overturned soon but to describe the original decision as an example of parliamentary democracy at work is pretty obscene

I was in the pub earlier ( not boozing though) just a soft drink. Anyway the landlord and I had a good chat.  He is thinking the Govt are moving to a ban on selling alcohol in the next month or so. He thinks it may be for a couple of weeks ?  I can see where he is coming from. All the narratives about the transmission of the virus have alcohol as the underlying theme * students drinking, people in pubs getting pissed by 10 pm therefore social distancing is impacted etc.   However if one thinks of the prohibition era drinking just went underground.  I also think a ban would be the straw which would break the camel's  back for much of the sensible population who would lose out due to any legislation regarding this. ???  

In 1933 the German Parliament  voted for an enabling act which gave the cabinet in effect Hitler the power to govern by decree. Now our current equivalent unlike that precedent will hopefully be overturned soon but to describe the original decision as an example of parliamentary democracy at work is pretty obscene

Sorry but...

PS.   I'm not even sorry.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic