Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Fair few nutters in that crowd right enough. When did they get "baton charged by the Met"? I've looked at quite a lot of footage and not seen that. Nine police officers hurt do you think they deserved that?

https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/london-cops-attack-peaceful-lockdown-protestors

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Thank goodness you cited Church Militant's website, I was concerned you might go with some mental american right wing evangelical bullshit.

I'm not sure the website it's on is relevant but the content? (i'm not religous btw)

17 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

I'm not sure the website it's on is relevant but the content? (i'm not religous btw)

If you can find quotes on a site that isn't built to peddle ignorance and lies I'll give it more credence.

Neil Dongcaster

My grandad died due to Covid today. Although in his late 80’s he generally kept really well and had no real health issues. A man that bought me my first season ticket over 30 years ago and absolutely loved all things Hearts.

People can argue back and forth on the politics involved but there are real people and real families being changed forever due to this pandemic. 

23 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

My grandad died due to Covid today. Although in his late 80’s he generally kept really well and had no real health issues. A man that bought me my first season ticket over 30 years ago and absolutely loved all things Hearts.

People can argue back and forth on the politics involved but there are real people and real families being changed forever due to this pandemic. 

Sorry to hear that but if you take away the emotion of it being your Grandad then there is no way that something that takes the life of someone approaching 90 should add anything to an argument for placing the country under restrictions.

Again, sorry for your loss.

3 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Sorry to hear that, ND.

Your bit in bold is spot on.

8 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Fair few nutters in that crowd right enough. When did they get "baton charged by the Met"? I've looked at quite a lot of footage and not seen that. Nine police officers hurt do you think they deserved that?

Was an entirely peaceful demonstration until the police charged in. Not seen any sign of people attacking the police but nine of them got hurt? Sorry I'm saying they making that up to try and justify what they did. 

What nutters are you referring to? Just a lot of normal people concerned about losing their freedom. 

Neil Dongcaster
6 hours ago, graygo said:

Sorry to hear that but if you take away the emotion of it being your Grandad then there is no way that something that takes the life of someone approaching 90 should add anything to an argument for placing the country under restrictions.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Thank you.

My take on the situation is as with all polarising topics, the debate, especially online, around the governments response to Covid fall into a rabid tribalism us v them.

Some people are so desperate to prove they are on the right side of this debate that they will stop at nothing to point score. These people generally don’t care people are dying.

Governor Tarkin
53 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

People bang on about scaremongering then produce some opinionated tosh from a Daily Mail journalist. 

:lol:

And not just any Mail journalist.

Hitchens is a prize wank.

Governor Tarkin
30 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

My take on the situation is as with all polarising topics, the debate, especially online, around the governments response to Covid fall into a rabid tribalism us v them.

Some people are so desperate to prove they are on the right side of this debate that they will stop at nothing to point score. These people generally don’t care people are dying.

Spot on. 

Sorry for your loss.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

People bang on about scaremongering then produce some opinionated tosh from a Daily Mail journalist. 

:lol:

Opinionated?? From someone who is  paid to, ehhhh, voice his opinion. As opposed to what?  Pedalling the govt line?? Thankfully,  despite the best efforts of characters like Hugh Grant,  we still have a free press in this country.

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Opinionated?? From someone who is  paid to, ehhhh, voice his opinion. As opposed to what?  Pedalling the govt line?? Thankfully,  despite the best efforts of characters like Hugh Grant,  we still have a free press in this country.

He can mouth his opinion all he wants. That doesn't make his opinions worth reading.

You'll note I don't post opinion-pieces from non-experts. I share reports backed by science, research and data. Not some brain-fart from an arsehole who compares wearing masks to hanging communist flags from your balcony.

15 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yeah,  but that's going on the presumption that people following what they're told is necessary have done so without question,  or without at least giving it some consideration.

Your logic and reasoning aren't as sound as you had hoped,  it seems.  

There are a good few on here who have done what you say it would appear.

8 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

That's some shitty news. Sorry man. 

Weakened Offender
10 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Are they? How many are false positives? How many have symptoms?  How many have not followed basic guidelines?  Have any of our wonderful politicians addressed those questions or are they still salivating over "2nd waves" and "accelerating  paaaandeeemics"? We need a national conversation about this approach.  Thankfully, pubs, cafes and restaurants are still packed so the economy is not suffering too much although this 10pm nonsense is unsustainable.

Pubs aren't packed.

Noone is salivating about a 2nd wave. 

We weren't caught out in March, everyone just did what you're doing now. 

Having a national conversation would involve people paying attention in a grown up way to the other argument, so you're out. 

10 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Son in law told me that there was a story around somebody having been unable to make their appointment at a drive thru being sent a text two days later saying that they had tested negative.

I heard a similar story from my daughter who works in the western in the Covid hub.

18 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Although on almost other end of the political spectrum he writes as well as his late brother. Thought provoking stuff.

It is indeed thought provoking.

A government who want to escalate the perceived threat.

53 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Pubs aren't packed.

Noone is salivating about a 2nd wave. 

We weren't caught out in March, everyone just did what you're doing now. 

Having a national conversation would involve people paying attention in a grown up way to the other argument, so you're out. 

The scientists checking their shareholdings are desperate to escalate the perceived threat. Pubs are packed in the sense that you often can't book a table. Obviously they are not standing 4 deep at the bar. Those like you who meekly accept "science " ahead of logic and common sense,  would also be out of any national conversation 👍

Francis Albert
31 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It is indeed thought provoking.

A government who want to escalate the perceived threat.

That is very telling. Not to inform or educate  the public about the actual threat but escalate the perceived threat ie scare people. And that of course is exactly what they have done.

10pm curfew proving to be the daftest idea in history. 

You've now got everyone leaving pubs at the same time, most likely pished and herding onto public transport. 

Another genius idea from our clueless leaders. 

Also, NHS staff, particularly Doctors and Nurses have been told not to download track and trace because if one of them gets it, they'd likely lose a whole shift to isolation.  :rolleyes2:

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

10pm curfew proving to be the daftest idea in history. 

You've now got everyone leaving pubs at the same time, most likely pished and herding onto public transport. 

Another genius idea from our clueless leaders. 

It makes absolutely no sense no matter what angle you approach it from :lol: one of the most baffling things to have happened throughout this whole thing. 

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It makes absolutely no sense no matter what angle you approach it from :lol: one of the most baffling things to have happened throughout this whole thing. 

Indeed, it is. What their thinking behind that was I'll never know. 

11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Also, NHS staff, particularly Doctors and Nurses have been told not to download track and trace because if one of them gets it, they'd likely lose a whole shift to isolation.  :rolleyes2:

This is true.

As someone who was deemed to work in a key profession(Scotrail, train dispatcher at Edinburgh Waverley), I have worked as normal from the very start of this COVID-19 nonsense. The wearing of a face covering only became compulsory for me from the the second week of July. To this day that to me has been a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The older I get(57, now) the more cynical of politicians of all persuasions i

have become. I dont believe our trust anything they say about this virus.

Considering the thousands yes thousands of people I have been in contact through my job, I'm still baffled I havent caught this DEADLY virus.

MPs will be banned from drinking alcohol after 10pm after Parliamentary authorities performed a swift U-turn on plans to exempt its bars and restaurants from early closing times.

Venues serving alcohol in the Palace of Westminster were expected to be exempt from the new coronavirus rules as they qualify as "workplace canteens", according to The Times.

But after a furious backlash, a Parliament spokesperson said:  “Alcohol will not be sold after 10pm anywhere on the parliamentary estate.”

Catering facilities will remain open after that time serving food for staff working through the night.

The decision came after a furious backlash at plans to let Parliament's own bars and restaurants stay open late - despite pub lockdowns across the country.

2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

MPs will be banned from drinking alcohol after 10pm after Parliamentary authorities performed a swift U-turn on plans to exempt its bars and restaurants from early closing times.

Venues serving alcohol in the Palace of Westminster were expected to be exempt from the new coronavirus rules as they qualify as "workplace canteens", according to The Times.

But after a furious backlash, a Parliament spokesperson said:  “Alcohol will not be sold after 10pm anywhere on the parliamentary estate.”

Catering facilities will remain open after that time serving food for staff working through the night.

The decision came after a furious backlash at plans to let Parliament's own bars and restaurants stay open late - despite pub lockdowns across the country.

:lol: **** sake. 

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

As someone who was deemed to work in a key profession(Scotrail, train dispatcher at Edinburgh Waverley), I have worked as normal from the very start of this COVID-19 nonsense. The wearing of a face covering only became compulsory for me from the the second week of July. To this day that to me has been a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The older I get(57, now) the more cynical of politicians of all persuasions i

have become. I dont believe our trust anything they say about this virus.

Considering the thousands yes thousands of people I have been in contact through my job, I'm still baffled I havent caught this DEADLY virus.

Or you have caught the virus but it had little or even no effect on you ? 

My wife works in a pharmacy neither her nor any of her colleagues have caught it ( fingers crossed that’s the case) , or like yourself they have had it but showed no symptoms . 

If I’m reading the stats correctly there are as many new cases today as there was back in May . The only difference is we have testing today but not back then , question is how many were getting infected back then and now have immunity ? 

stay safe folks 

Adam_the_legend
35 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

23 minutes ago, Homme said:

This is true.

That’s incredible! 

9 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Hospital numbers up now - not good 

ICU numbers remain of the scale you could fit them all in a mini Bus- good and perhaps if we referred to “underlying conditions “ and “life limiting conditions” that would ease public anxiety.-

Big difference between mild asthma and the patients on palliative care registers .

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

ICU numbers remain of the scale you could fit them all in a mini Bus- good and perhaps if we referred to “underlying conditions “ and “life limiting conditions” that would ease public anxiety.-

Big difference between mild asthma and the patients on palliative care registers .

I think easing public anxiety is the exact opposite of the current approach from our governments. They think the more scared people are the more they will comply. Doesn’t look to be working...thankfully. 

Sturgeon: New cases are lower than expected

Ms Sturgeon said the Scottish Government was "not expecting" such a low number of new cases, and said the "weekend effect" could be responsible.

She added that she had asked officials to look into the reasons behind the low number.

1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

Sturgeon: New cases are lower than expected

Ms Sturgeon said the Scottish Government was "not expecting" such a low number of new cases, and said the "weekend effect" could be responsible.

She added that she had asked officials to look into the reasons behind the low number.

Can understand why she is worried the numbers are so low, it really doesn’t help project fear.  

Perhaps we could go back to the old way of counting cases in hospitals to really ramp up the numbers?  

Or we could release some shocking statistics about the horrifying effects of long Covid? 

13 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I think easing public anxiety is the exact opposite of the current approach from our governments. They think the more scared people are the more they will comply. Doesn’t look to be working...thankfully. 

Why thankfully?

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why thankfully?

Questioning government is a key measure of a functioning democracy. People should be able hold them to account rather than just blindly accept everything they say. 

Governor Tarkin

The midwife booked the Mrs in for an extra last minute scan this afternoon. I'm currently standing outside Simpsons assessment department as I'm not allowed in. FFS.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

As Nicola says anyone who is having a gathering with more Than 2 households - you should have a long hard look at yourselves

You should come down and tell the local young team round my way. There's usually about 40 of them. Maybe they'll put you in one of the stolen vans they've taken to blowing up lately.

14 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Questioning government is a key measure of a functioning democracy. People should be able hold them to account rather than just blindly accept everything they say. 

But people  should follow the rules laws and guidelines in place - and not be discouraged from doing so by anyone 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic