1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Jambo 4 is the ex Natural Orders.

Natural Order is a different guy.

Poor fella getting mixed up with Jambo in Hamilton :lol: 

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Psychopath more likely.

Well yes. 

To put it another way this sort of tool would encourage those who are obsessed with avoiding the risk of Covid to flood the areas largely devoid of Covid. The law of unintended consequences

joondalupjambo
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Well yes. 

To put it another way this sort of tool would encourage those who are obsessed with avoiding the risk of Covid to flood the areas largely devoid of Covid. The law of unintended consequences

The East Neuk has been flooded with west coasters for the last three weeks or so.   Funnily enough it has coincided with the advice given on restricted travel in the locked down areas in the west of Scotland.  I thought travel was only supposed to be done from these areas if essential?

The East Neuk is low in terms of cases, well it was until the students returned to St Andrews I guess but places like Crail, Pittenweem, Largo etc are places viewed as "safer".  

Edited by joondalupjambo

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The East Neuk has been flooded with west coasters for the last three weeks or so.   Funnily enough it has coincided with the advice given on restricted travel in the locked down areas in the west of Scotland.  I thought travel was only supposed to be done from these areas if essential?

The East Neuk is low in terms of cases, well it was until the students returned to St Andrews I guess but places like Crail, Pittenweem, Largo etc are places viewed as "safer".  

Not for long from what you say

The guidance should be to avoid places with low incidences of the virus especially if you come from a place with a significantly higher incidence. 

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

The 2 aged 84 and 88- Nicola wouldnt need to protect them in scotland, as they wouldnt have lasted that long

why cant we get these details in Scotland? hmmm

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Because nobody died yesterday?

Kidding...

I've been moaning for a while about the lack of detail in age and pre-existing conditions data. I am very surprised that there were two people in their 80s with no underlying conditions

I suspect they mean no known underlying conditions. 

5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

You should know by now that this isn’t the point 

In other words those stats don't quite suit my agenda 👍🏻

52 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

That’s outbreaks or incidents not cases or transmissions.

Fair enough but how do they differentiate between them? Surely it's a bit of a stretch to claim that 5% of outbreaks account for 40% of cases?? But the point was the FM and Clinical Director both said that it wasn't possible to provide that figure, only 2 days ago?  

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I think we're kind of stuck in an infinite look with this approach, don't you agree? If the numbers stay low, authorities can claim their approach worked. If numbers increase, they can state that this shows why the measures were necessary. Rinse and repeat any time (and there will be many more times), that there are small spikes on the charts.

They dive under the covers every time they see the spider in the room.

Exactly

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think we're kind of stuck in an infinite look with this approach, don't you agree? If the numbers stay low, authorities can claim their approach worked. If numbers increase, they can state that this shows why the measures were necessary. Rinse and repeat any time (and there will be many more times), that there are small spikes on the charts.

The one you've omitted is the most likely one.   Virtually certain.   That the numbers continue to rise until the effects of the measures kick in and begin to flatten the curve and eventually the numbers reduce.    Then the authorities will say they were right to introduce the measures.   They'll be right.

If numbers stay low or are brought back down to low then that does not prove that the measures were not necessary.    It also indicates the measures were necessary.   

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 hours ago, King prawn said:

I ended up at the hospital after getting a chest infection that I couldn’t get rid of when I was at University. Illnesses spread like wildfire in halls.

that sounds like long-chest-infection

i read on here that stuff like that was exclusive to covid :(

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think we're kind of stuck in an infinite loop with this approach, don't you agree? If the numbers stay low, authorities can claim their approach worked. If numbers increase, they can state that this shows why the measures were necessary. Rinse and repeat any time (and there will be many more times), that there are small spikes on the charts.

I think that is about right. The big risk for governments is to risk being wrong in underestimating the risk. There is not much downside in overestimating it at least in the short term ... on which politicians are usually focused. A week is a long time in politics and there is a fair chance others will.have to clear up.the mess ... 

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think we're kind of stuck in an infinite loop with this approach, don't you agree? If the numbers stay low, authorities can claim their approach worked. If numbers increase, they can state that this shows why the measures were necessary. Rinse and repeat any time (and there will be many more times), that there are small spikes on the charts.

Yeah agreed mate. We’re backed up against a wall with this approach. 

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The one you've omitted is the most likely one.   Virtually certain.   That the numbers continue to rise until the effects of the measures kick in and begin to flatten the curve and eventually the numbers reduce.    Then the authorities will say they were right to introduce the measures.   They'll be right.

If numbers stay low or are brought back down to low then that does not prove that the measures were not necessary.    It also indicates the measures were necessary.   

The authorities in your scenario would certainly say that they were right. Whether they would be right is another question.

And to state  that if the number stays low indicates the measures were necessary is exactly the point. Whatever the result of the measures they can be claimed to be right.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The authorities in your scenario would certainly say that they were right. Whether they would be right is another question.

And to state  that if the number stays low indicates the measures were necessary is exactly the point. Whatever the result of the measures they can be claimed to be right.

Indeed.   But in amongst the scramble to discover some alternative explanation,   residing in plain sight will be the actual explanation that the measures were responsible for any suppression of numbers.    

Some students may have a small part time job to get some extra money, wonder if they'll be eligible for the governments £500 payment since so many have to self isolate?

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

damn it i meant to say moran not mogan

I knew what you meant.  👍

Angus seems such a long time ago eh?

Not meaning to hijack,the thread but have a question regarding the tightening of the rules and what it means for my partner and I.  Basically I live alone but my 2 children stay over regularly.  I have a partner who lives at home with her 69 and 74 year old parents and she also comes to my place frequently as well. Being a non cohabiting couple who are in a relationship I was clear that we were an exemption to the tightening of things this week, but the fact that she returns home to her mum and dads place has muddied the waters a little and her family are urging her not to come to my place and return home for fear of placing her folks in danger.

any help or advice on the best course of action would be greatly appreciated 

Francis Albert
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Indeed.   But in amongst the scramble to discover some alternative explanation,   residing in plain sight will be the actual explanation that the measures were responsible for any suppression of numbers.    

It would be an explanation. It wouldn't be proof.

3 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Not meaning to hijack,the thread but have a question regarding the tightening of the rules and what it means for my partner and I.  Basically I live alone but my 2 children stay over regularly.  I have a partner who lives at home with her 69 and 74 year old parents and she also comes to my place frequently as well. Being a non cohabiting couple who are in a relationship I was clear that we were an exemption to the tightening of things this week, but the fact that she returns home to her mum and dads place has muddied the waters a little and her family are urging her not to come to my place and return home for fear of placing her folks in danger.

She would be allowed to visit you thats not an issue but there is a risk to her parents. Its entirely up to you both to decide what is the best interests for you. Also what are her parents views regarding it? They might be happy for her to visit you?  Do you mix with other people daily , if not any risk is minimal.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

It would be an explanation. It wouldn't be proof.

Sometimes definitive proof for stuff is not an absolute necessity.   While some people will draw reasonable conclusions from evidence,  in whatever form that takes,  others inevitably seize on the absence of proof in order to manipulate an alternative view.    I can't see this ending soon.

5 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Aslong as you limit time in big  public spaces when shopping, going to restaurants etc so you lessen the risk of you passing it to each other and her taking it to her parents should be okay i'd imagine.

Someone on here would have you both away from each other but adults should be trusted to use common sense and their own judgment but not according to some.

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

She would be allowed to visit you thats not an issue but there is a risk to her parents. Its entirely up to you both to decide what is the best interests for you. Also what are her parents views regarding it? They might be happy for her to visit you?  Do you mix with other people daily , if not any risk is minimal.

Thanks mate, appreciate it

3 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Aslong as you limit time in big  public spaces when shopping, going to restaurants etc so you lessen the risk of you passing it to each other and her taking it to her parents should be okay i'd imagine.

Someone on here would have you both away from each other but adults should be trusted to use common sense and their own judgment but not according to some.

Much appreciated mate

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sometimes definitive proof for stuff is not an absolute necessity.   While some people will draw reasonable conclusions from evidence,  in whatever form that takes,  others inevitably seize on the absence of proof in order to manipulate an alternative view.    I can't see this ending soon.

OK 

It wouldn't be proof. I don't think it would be a  reasonable conclusion from evidence either. It would be  a proposition fortunately for those who rely on it impossible to disprove at present .

Edited by Francis Albert

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

OK 

It wouldn't be proof. I don't think it would be a  reasonable conclusion from evidence either. It would be  a proposition fortunately for those who rely on it impossible to disprove at present .

Righto.   Take it there's no proof to be gleaned from Sweden then.

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Righto.   Take it there's no proof to be gleaned from Sweden then.

I have never once suggested there was any  "proof' to be gleaned from Sweden.

Edited by Francis Albert

Struggle to understand new restrictions. Case numbers are going to be high when more and more testing is ongoing and people are beginning to do more after a long 6 months however deaths are still relatively low, been so for a while and i'm of the belief that restrictions should only be put in place if the NHS struggles to cope again and with the number of patients in ICU i don't think thats the case.

Recent new rulings like face coverings have proved to have not made much if any difference and these pub/restaurant curfews are probably not going to slow a rise in cases.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Captain Canada

It's interesting that somewhere in the region of £67 million has been spent on the PCR tests and associated costs so far in Scotland alone.

I don't know if anyone else thinks that's poor value for money when they can't tell if someone has the live virus or not. 

No journalists seem to be asking these kinds of questions. It's not difficult to find an average cost and the total number of tests that have been conducted. 

1 minute ago, spirt of 98 said:

Let’s see the graph for April, cause that’s where we’re heading. 

well u want need a graph for April just look at the figures for then . They will be online somewhere. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

It's interesting that somewhere in the region of £67 million has been spent on the PCR tests and associated costs so far in Scotland alone.

I don't know if anyone else thinks that's poor value for money when they can't tell if someone has the live virus or not. 

No journalists seem to be asking these kinds of questions. It's not difficult to find an average cost and the total number of tests that have been conducted. 

There have been 750,529 tested in Scotland so that averages out at £89.27 per test.

Captain Canada
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

There have been 750,529 tested in Scotland so that averages out at £89.27 per test.

This is from the SG website suggesting over 1.5m tests. The number you've quoted is individual people rather than tests. 

"A total of 654,246 COVID-19 tests carried out through NHS labs and  920,154 tests through UKG Labs in Scotland have reported results."

It would seem each person is averaging 2 tests unless tests from England are being processed in Scotland? I'm not sure but even the lowest figure would still mean a huge total for a test that's 'a bit rubbish.' 

Edited by Captain Canada

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic