Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Long Covid is not unique. Many viruses can cause long term sequelae in a small number of people .

And they partly have a point.

if the fat, unfit people of the nation had started strict diets waaaaay back in March many of them would no longer be at risk as they would 

1- no longer be obese

2- no longer have sleep apnoea

3- have lowered their BP

4- have reversed their type 2 diabetes 

but they didn’t 

I think obesity is a feature in around 50% of deaths of covid or there abouts . You would think the Govt would have high lighted this issue earlier on but then again. It’s thr Govt isn’t it . Both are an absolute shambles at the present time . 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In an ideal world that would be what should happen, however a lot of low income families can't afford the better priced more healthy food, that's been known for years.

see the second sentence of the post you quoted.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Another indication that we may well have made the right decision to develop our own app.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54307526

I've got both apps. I've got the English one turned on just now because I'm down here and they won't let you into any venues if you don't have it.

Hopefully I never get contacted :D

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m surprised food banks weren’t mentioned in the post.

Maybe because they appeared during the Tories watch.

Maybe because there's enough political shit already on this thread.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Its all so unnecessary.  The food waste will be ridiculous and we aren't even at the situation we had in March.

The supermarkets need to get a grip.

On other matters it looks like the 10pm curfew was a farce as I expected in London with tube stations and streets rammed as everyone leaves at the same time, which means social distancing is gone.  Extending licensing hours to stagger exits would have been the correct approach.

I was in Asda in Berwick this morning as they have 25% off 6 or more bottles of wine.

There was no sign of panic buying down here, but if you saw my trolley you would think I was panic buying wine :D

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I would imagine the tax would be on the trolleyfuls of absolute garbage that most fatties seem to be intent on wheeling out to their SUVs so they can shove something, anything really - as long as it's covered in sugar and/or salt - in their wobbly-chinned faces while watching hours of Netflix.

Vegetables, pulses, cheap cuts of meat and in-season fruit (that might not look like the front of BBC Good Food, but still taste good and provide nutrition. I'm not denying that food poverty isn't a serious issue - but it is certainly possible to feed an average-sized family on a low income. Not easy, not always fun - but food is fuel, not entertainment.

Anyway, sorry - rant over!

Completely right in my previous work I worked with families defined as “ in poverty “. Some  of their “ budgeting skills “ left a lot to be desired .  I despaired one day when I saw a 6 months baby having his “ dinner “ which was a packet of cheesy wotsits lol . 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I was in the big Tesco in Corstorphine yesterday and panic buying is back in full force.

Chilled food section was very low in stock, and bog roll aisle was getting cleared out.

Project Fear from both governments and the media has a lot to answer for.

Asda in Galashiels was like that on Thursday night so my laddie said, no bog rolls whatsoever, no pasta, very little rice.

I just don't get it, what's the fecking panic about, I'd have thought folks would have learnt from the last time, that there is more than plenty for everybody and there is no need to panic buy.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Completely right in my previous work I worked with families defined as “ in poverty “. Some  of their “ budgeting skills “ left a lot to be desired .  I despaired one day when I saw a 6 months baby having his “ dinner “ which was a packet of cheesy wotsits lol . 

Bloody hell.   Tesco own brand cheese puffs are much better value and are pretty good.    Brand snobbery going on there then.

17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think obesity is a feature in around 50% of deaths of covid or there abouts . You would think the Govt would have high lighted this issue earlier on but then again. It’s thr Govt isn’t it . Both are an absolute shambles at the present time . 

Getting to a healthy weight should be up there with washing hands as a public health message, maybe they've concluded that it's an unpalatable (pardon the pun) truth that would be counterproductive just now 

I also don't understand why having adequate vitamin D levels doesn't get pushed more by the powers that be. Seems like low hanging fruit to me.

Edited by fancy a brew

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Bloody hell.   Tesco own brand cheese puffs are much better value and are pretty good.    Brand snobbery going on there then.

I didn’t take notice of the brand but the poor bairns face was covered in orange 🍊 😂😂

56 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Processed food, sugary food, high fat content food, surely. Not just "food".

Processed food I'll give you but there's nothing wrong with sugar and fat. Some of the most nutrient dense food is very high in sugar and fat.

1 minute ago, fancy a brew said:

Getting to a healthy weight should be up there with washing hands as a public health message, maybe they've concluded that it's an unpalatable (pardon the pun) truth that would be counterproductive just now.

I also don't get understand why having adequate vitamin D levels doesn't get pushed more by the powers that be. Seems like low hanging fruit to me.

A family member in the medical profession is an ardent supporter of Vitamin D supplements for a wide variety of benefits.

1 minute ago, fancy a brew said:

Getting to a healthy weight should be up there with washing hands as a public health message, maybe they've concluded that it's an unpalatable (pardon the pun) truth that would be counterproductive just now.

I also don't get understand why having adequate vitamin D levels doesn't get pushed more by the powers that be. Seems like low hanging fruit to me.

Yes that’s true . I’m slightly overweight ( 7 lbs)  so Ion a self imposed diet , which I started last week . It went to pot last night though after a glass of wine , ended up eating about 16 crackers with cheese or salsa dip on them then topped it with a jar of stuffed olives ! Still off the bread and carbs though apart from last nights relapse 👍

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I didn’t take notice of the brand but the poor bairns face was covered in orange 🍊 😂😂

Did you manage to get to speak to Donald or did the secret service keep you away from him.  :laugh:

51 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Do you trawl the Internet for every negative article you can find 

No, I could easily post a tonne more if this will annoy you though?

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Did you manage to get to speak to Donald or did the secret service keep you away from him.  :laugh:

😂😂😂

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Ridiculous post.

Nothing comes close to Wotsits.

William H. Bonney
19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Asda in Galashiels was like that on Thursday night so my laddie said, no bog rolls whatsoever, no pasta, very little rice.

I just don't get it, what's the fecking panic about, I'd have thought folks would have learnt from the last time, that there is more than plenty for everybody and there is no need to panic buy.

The most dangerous pandemic is stupidity. 

37 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Getting to a healthy weight should be up there with washing hands as a public health message, maybe they've concluded that it's an unpalatable (pardon the pun) truth that would be counterproductive just now 

I also don't understand why having adequate vitamin D levels doesn't get pushed more by the powers that be. Seems like low hanging fruit to me.

People will shut businesses, close schools and wear face masks.......

but won’t go on a diet to save themselves from covid

Nucky Thompson
24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

No, I could easily post a tonne more if this will annoy you though?

It doesn't annoy me, it was just an observation.

I'll admit that I trawl the internet looking for positive news on treatments and vaccines etc, but I'm not a miserable bassa 

38 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Processed food I'll give you but there's nothing wrong with sugar and fat. Some of the most nutrient dense food is very high in sugar and fat.

Quite- it’s a quantity issue

its about time calorie counts were printed dependent on your height.

Someone 6’5 eating a Big Mac and fries is different to someone 4’10 doing the same

Couple of interesting articles from the Independent SAGE group.

Basically,  Sweden success vastly overstated albeit, too early to tell, and Sweden for a number of reasons is not a good comparison for the UK.

https://www.independentsage.org/a-closer-look-at-swedens-response-to-covid-19/

A strategy of trying to achieve herd immunity whilst protecting the vulnerable is not a good idea

Also, there is an alternative to lockdowns.

https://www.independentsage.org/a-deliberate-population-immunity-strategy-before-a-vaccine-why-it-wouldnt-work-and-why-it-shouldnt-be-tried/

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Costanza said:

Couple of interesting articles from the Independent SAGE group.

Basically,  Sweden success vastly overstated albeit, too early to tell, and Sweden for a number of reasons is not a good comparison for the UK.

https://www.independentsage.org/a-closer-look-at-swedens-response-to-covid-19/

A strategy of trying to achieve herd immunity whilst protecting the vulnerable is not a good idea

Also, there is an alternative to lockdowns.

https://www.independentsage.org/a-deliberate-population-immunity-strategy-before-a-vaccine-why-it-wouldnt-work-and-why-it-shouldnt-be-tried/

Why are they independent SAGE, because they weren't good enough for the other SAGE? 

I've always felt that they have an agenda 

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

It’s not just the numbers coming back positive that are a problem.  It is the percentage of new tests coming back positive that is the major problem.  That is the comparison to use even though originally it was over 20% in March when they limited testing. 

It’s been over 5% for over a week which means the outbreak is out of control again.  

Or it means people are waking up to the fact that if you don't have symptoms then you don't need a test.

15 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Is this how shemima begum is funding her legal appeal?

oh the humanity !

:) All women wearing head-coverings, or of a certain ethnicity, shouldn't be lumped into the same basket, dear Doctor.

Anyway, if you'll check closely, you'll see that the red colour is her hair.

Edited by redjambo

15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It doesn't annoy me, it was just an observation.

I'll admit that I trawl the internet looking for positive news on treatments and vaccines etc, but I'm not a miserable bassa 

How rude.

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Why are they independent SAGE, because they weren't good enough for the other SAGE? 

I'm pretty sure they were set up as they felt the official SAGE group was not transparent enough and also that the UK at least,  initially was not following the WHO.

It's headed by a former chief Scientific Advisor to the Government, so don't think its credentials in doubt, but yeah there could well be an additional agenda.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They do have an agenda.    The agenda is to suggest what they believe is right,  on the basis of competent knowledge.

No point dismissing things as agenda based when one has an obvious agenda of their own.

The articles touch on what's been discussed (and ignored) here.    That there is infinitely more complexity to the issue of selecting an arbitrary group referred to as 'the vulnerable'.     That the theory of population immunity is absolutely hypothetical until more scientific knowledge is gained regarding the complicated matter of different levels of immunity,  etc.

Firing off the scattergun of herd immunity and shielding the vulnerable is and always has been very,  very dumb.   If only life was that simple.

45 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Is this how shemima begum is funding her legal appeal?

oh the humanity !

Do you think her hair is a religious covering?

🤣

Scottish numbers: 26 September 2020

• 714 new cases of COVID-19 reported; this is 11.5% of newly tested individuals
  • 0 new reported deaths of people who have tested positive
  • 11 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 99 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 17,518 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

(ICU same as yesterday, hospital up 10, cases up 156)

Another record level of cases in Scotland.

Edited by redjambo

A quick look at the breakdown of cases by health board shows that Greater Glasgow with +290, Lothian with +113, Lanarkshire with +91, and Tayside with +80 are the biggest movers on an absolute basis. Most other areas showing increases. A jump of +46 in Fife is a record number of daily cases there.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 26 September 2020

• 714 new cases of COVID-19 reported; this is 11.5% of newly tested individuals
  • 0 new reported deaths of people who have tested positive
  • 11 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 99 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 17,518 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

(ICU same as yesterday, hospital up 10, cases up 156)

Another record level of cases in Scotland.

Looks like were still in the upswing phase and aren't seeing the vertical climb yet.    Hopefully the reaffirmed measures will kick in before the vertical really takes hold.    We'll see fairly soon if there's any evidence that the rates of hospitalisation,  ICU and deaths are much different to the initial wave.

31 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Do you think her hair is a religious covering?

🤣

I did, my eyes ain’t what they used to be🥺

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

sweet.gif

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Really, are the words 'more at risk' in invisible text or something? 

No.

I am still struggling to see how saying athletes put a lot of stress on their hearts is not saying that they are "more at risk" ... of something or other. Otherwise I don't understand the point of saying it particularly in the context of this thread. 

33 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No.

I am still struggling to see how saying athletes put a lot of stress on their hearts is not saying that they are "more at risk" ... of something or other. Otherwise I don't understand the point of saying it particularly in the context of this thread. 

It is pointing out how they could be at risk - that being extremely fit and healthy doesn't necessarily mean that they will be fine. I made no assumptions about how this risk compares to that of other people. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Or it means people are waking up to the fact that if you don't have symptoms then you don't need a test.

of course it could mean this - a form of self-selection

however the scenario has been fully analysed and defined by one of our senior modellers a few posts above - so on reflection no it can’t be

was a decent suggestion tho 👍

It's hardly surprising the students aren't getting it after Nicola's told them not to worry and they can hit the pubs next week again nor with the soft touch approach. 

Make the rules clear and that they apply to them and dish out the fines.

A lack of enforcement is part of the issue.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've got both apps. I've got the English one turned on just now because I'm down here and they won't let you into any venues if you don't have it.

Hopefully I never get contacted :D

So folk who do not have a smart phone are alienated from whatever place they are trying to enter?  I would have thought the Equal Rights Commission would have a thing to say about that.  What types of places are you talking about out of interest?  Iceland?   Farm Foods?  Lidls?  😃😃😃

Francis Albert

I have downloaded the App. I am not much into Apps but have downloaded a few and easily accessed them. I am really struggling to access this one.

I would have expected to be easily accessible by even the technology challenged.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

So folk who do not have a smart phone are alienated from whatever place they are trying to enter?  I would have thought the Equal Rights Commission would have a thing to say about that.  What types of places are you talking about out of interest?  Iceland?   Farm Foods?  Lidls?  😃😃😃

I  had no difficulty getting into anywhere without the App.

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I  had no difficulty getting into anywhere without the App.

Yeah I know imagine being stopped going into somewhere because you did not have a smart phone.   That would be the absolute end if it was put in place and allowed.   

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic