Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

Following through the charts there is absolutely no evidence the increase in cases is being mirrored in deaths or ICU admissions. Given the pattern you'd have expected this to have occurred by now. Come next Friday if the pattern is coming the deaths will be starting to justify the actions. 

Good posting 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

No one should think they are immune to this disease

it is serious and should be taken as such

We are mate, we are. It is super serious bud. Thanks for the reminders. 

Just now, Shanks said:

If the deaths don’t dramatically rise just wait 6/7/8 weeks. Then in 6/7/8 weeks time if they still haven’t then you just wait another 6/7/8.

Yes still waiting on the mass deaths from opening up from July 15th 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

We are mate, we are. It is super serious bud. Thanks for the reminders. 

Good and follow the rules and don’t every encourage other to not follow the rules 

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It is at a uk level

Is it? Or is it just reflecting that at UK Level its 10/11 times the size of Scotland. I'd argue the latter.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes still waiting on the mass deaths from opening up from July 15th 

Those blm protests that were supposed to have killed everyone never quite had the impact on numbers that some desired. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

You should drum up some awareness. Get the message across. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You should drum up some awareness. Get the message across. 

As Nicola said there is never any time when it wrong to repeat the message 

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Students Getting the blame for just being well students ! This was bound to happen so why wasn’t there mass testing if them before they began their studies ? Anyway the good news is once is went through them like a fire they will be fine and get on with student life . It can be a lonely and isolating time being a first year student and I think there is a significant risk of suicide in that bracket too . 
demonising them won’t help 

Not sure why students have returned when it seems to be online learning for now. Probably money. University accommodation is massive income source. And there are calls to reduce fees for all online learning. Plus the social life for being at University.

Maybe the Government etc didn't know about the risk of transmission. 

Edited by Mikey1874

13 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Good and follow the rules and don’t every encourage other to not follow the rules 

Nah mate I’ll continue to flout them and encourage other to do so. 

viva la resistance 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

As Nicola said there is never any time when it wrong to repeat the message 

You got the link to that clip? I must have missed that one. 👍 

I thought I’d share this with as I thought it maybe useful.

Google Maps has introduced an additional layer of information on Covid-19, with which users can know the average number of infections in a given area in the last week.

This new feature aims to allow users to decide which areas to travel to, by showing the incidence rate for that area which is the average number of people infected per 100,000 inhabitants in the last seven days, and if it is going up or down, as announced by Google in a press release.

The information, which can be accessed from the layer option in the upper right corner, also distinguishes the areas by colour, so that users can see where has the highest density of cases.

11 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You can't deny the lines are all going up at a UK level for Cases, Hospitals and Deaths. The 7 day averages for all are also going up in Scotland, but thankfully as it was from such a low base we can't be certain what is happening, however I would suggest we will follow the same path as England.

All the numbers are still low if you compare with NHS capacity, population, other illness but you can't deny they are increasing

It would be unthinkable that numbers could possibly stay as low as they have been. It’s been a balancing act, when schools opened that was when the infections have tipped us over the edge. 

It’s completely manageable at the current level though. 

16 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not strictly true though is it. Studies are starting to suggest that large sections of the population may well have a natural immunity to Covid, having previously being exposed to other coronaviruses in the past. The Diamond Princess outbreak, which ran unchecked for 2 weeks, infected only 18% of those on board, in an environment that any virus would thrive in. Probably explains why, even after 8 or 9 months, this virus has only affected a very small percentage of the population. Never underestimate the human immune system👍

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not strictly true though is it. Studies are starting to suggest that large sections of the population may well have a natural immunity to Covid, having previously being exposed to other coronaviruses in the past. The Diamond Princess outbreak, which ran unchecked for 2 weeks, infected only 18% of those on board, in an environment that any virus would thrive in. Probably explains why, even after 8 or 9 months, this virus has only affected a very small percentage of the population. Never underestimate the human immune system👍

This is not true - as Dr Nicola Steedman said clearly today 

She never mentioned it at all today. She did  falsely claim, however  that 40% of transmissions were happening in hospitality settings. Hopefully the Hospitality industry will be able to force a retraction from her.

We should all be doing the right thing - and encourage others to do so to. This is ultimately our best defence against this nasty disease.

Defo mate. Certainly shouldn’t go out tomorrow and get absolutely rat arsed and shag random birds, that’s for sure. 

I'm Blaming the students

Student power what a shower
Oh what a shower

You've got your union rules
They're only read by intellectual fools
Try to stop us and soon you'll see
You've got answers no for kids like me
Pompous clowns they put us down
Now it's your turn to drown

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Defo mate. Certainly shouldn’t go out tomorrow and get absolutely rat arsed and shag random birds, that’s for sure. 

As long as you are socially distancing ,   washing your hands and wearing a mask, I can't see what harm it would do😎

manaliveits105
21 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

❤️❣️💕

Edited by manaliveits105

28 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

She never mentioned it at all today. She did  falsely claim, however  that 40% of transmissions were happening in hospitality settings. Hopefully the Hospitality industry will be able to force a retraction from her.

Maybe she was including Student Hospitality

The Mighty Thor
45 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not sure why students have returned when it seems to be online learning for now. Probably money. University accommodation is massive income source. And there are calls to reduce fees for all online learning. Plus the social life for being at University.

Maybe the Government etc didn't know about the risk of transmission. 

Anyone that couldn't forsee exactly what would happen in universities and university towns is a ****ing idiot and that includes Sturgeon & Leitch.

It ripped through the US campus weeks ago so they had really live data of what was happening and what would happen here too.

Now though we've all to bide in for 6 months as its getting out of control. 

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

That’s terrible, what’s the correct figure?

5% has been quoted numerous times in England but, trumping science with common sense, well regulated hospitality venues will be one of the safest places, and most enjoyable,  to be, other than, possibly,  the secure panic room in your house. Very interesting that she could quote a figure though, given both the FM and Jason Leitch had said it wasn't possible to do so, only 2 days ago. 😮

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Maybe she was including Student Hospitality

Could be ...but that would surely overlap with household transmission?? I wouldn't imagine the industry will be happy with her throwing random numbers about.

• Ms Sturgeon also tells students they are not being blamed for the spike in cases and that the call to stay out of pubs, restaurants and cafes is "just for this weekend".

Surely that contradicts her rules?

Scottish numbers: 25 September 2020

• 558 new cases of COVID-19 reported; this is 9.5% of newly tested individuals.
  • due to technical difficulties the number of new deaths is not yet available today, 25/09/2020. It will be provided here as soon as possible.
  • 11 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19.
  • 89 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19.
  • 16,724 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Could be ...but that would surely overlap with household transmission?? I wouldn't imagine the industry will be happy with her throwing random numbers about.

Agreed, my experience of Hospitality in London is, in the main, excellent and the work put in by staff has been exceptional. Statistics are being used to promote an agenda I feel. I'm happy to go with the rules but burying an industry on an agenda is another thing all together.

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

Without getting into a debate about measure/lockdowns etc, the 7 day average for Hospitals and Deaths are starting to go up (Deaths is still so low its hard to take too much from it but if you look at the UK figures it suggests things are going in the wrong direction)

At the start of September cases were 1340 and deaths 7.9 (7 day average) as off yesterday that had gone up to 4960 and 28.1

Those rises were not happening over the summer months

Where are those figures for?

5 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:
  • Ms Sturgeon also tells students they are not being blamed for the spike in cases and that the call to stay out of pubs, restaurants and cafes is "just for this weekend".

Surely that contradicts her rules?

No it doesn’t 

Really or is she that out of touch she thinks Students are heading to the pubs in small numbers from 2 households and not engaging in pre-drinking.

The fact is she is just shit scared to upset students as she knows she can manipulate them into voting for her easier.

48 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And 20% in households although we were told most transmission takes place in households. Caught making shite up.

From a quick look at today's figures, the NHS areas with worrying new infection numbers are Greater Glasgow (+255) and Lothian (+119). Ayrshire and Tayside are also up, but the others look stable or are not showing increases they haven't shown before.

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Indoors is the big risk. So students brought together mostly indoors.

Doesn't make sense. 

Well least they all get it then get on with their studies ! 

I have been broadly supportive of the Scottish government's approach to the coronavirus so far, apart from the disastrous beginning (care homes in particular), but even I feel that they've buggered up with this student debacle. Unless they're naïvely actually wanting to build up a herd immunity for the students in halls. Perhaps the Universities/Colleges stated that they wouldn't survive without the accommodation income and the decision was an economic one?

The whole thing is just stupid. A country in the middle of a pandemic, infection rates rising, online learning possible for most courses (although some do have a practical aspect which doesn't allow this), and the government gives students the go-ahead to go back to halls and take part in fresher weeks. I just don't get it.

Edited by redjambo

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic