Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Can someone clear up something for me. I was out earlier and had an " arguments" with a mate regarding the " one households rule". I said that if a person lives on their own they can have another " Household" visit them and vice versa,.  The other " household" can consist of any amount of people from that said household ?  

You can create an extended household with one other household of any size i believe. 

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

You can create an extended household with one other household of any size i believe. 

Cheers that what i thought. 

24 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

"Sweden will go down the shitter soon" is what you posted. What about the Martians?

The reason why people get so riled about Sweden since you ask is IMO the possibility that they will show that we have ****ed it up more than they have. At this stage who knows?

EitRbjSU4AAazc9 (1).jpeg

34 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Can someone clear up something for me. I was out earlier and had an " arguments" with a mate regarding the " one households rule". I said that if a person lives on their own they can have another " Household" visit them and vice versa,.  The other " household" can consist of any amount of people from that said household ?  

It has to be the same household though and never change 

Plenty saying that the home nations should all be using the same app but nobody suggesting that Europe or even the planet should use the same one. As long as international travel is still taking place wouldn't that make sense?

Edited by graygo

38 minutes ago, graygo said:

Plenty saying that the home nations should all be using the same app but nobody suggesting that Europe or even the planet should use the same one. As long as international travel is still taking place wouldn't that make sense?

TrtMPC2.gif

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Damning folks jobs as non viable because of imposed restrictions is a bit fecking honking. 

It's honest though.

We are where we are. If you broadly agree that we need restrictions and that those restrictions may represent the short to medium term normal then it is what it is. 

Our order book is still empty, if I get the heave at the end of next month I can have no arguments. It's an international business and everybody is struggling. The players aren't spending and the contractors are laying off. That doesn't leave much for the planners and consultants. It's not just covid tbf, although that makes the logistics difficult. A general drop in demand and the recent/perrenial US/Russia/OPEC pissing contest all play a big part. 

Life is full of challenges not of your own making. We dust ourselves down as best we can and move on. There will be opportunities for smart folk and those with the courage to seek them. Unfortunately I am neither. 

p.s. The whole thing is utterly shite and I really feel for folk like Normthebarman who stand to lose their home, let alone the millions worldwide for whom this is an actual existential crisis. I'm thankfull that most of us here will likely get through it with our health, sanity, and families still intact. 

jack D and coke

That’s absolutely brutal for Norm😕

For all my whingeing and daft posting I’m very busy and making money. I suppose it could always be worse...

Just now, jack D and coke said:

For all my whingeing and daft posting I’m very busy and making money. I suppose it could always be worse...

Your best post in weeks, mate. 😉

Agreed though, thoughts are with anyone who is going to be affected like that. I wish him and his family all the very best.

Governor Tarkin

^^^^ Also a fair point, but maybe overly simplistic. As technologies change many industries/jobs/trades become no longer viable as part of the natural progression. Occasionally this is marked by a clear deliniation - the industrial revolution, the technoligical revolution, the information revolution, etc. Perhaps we are at one of those watershed moments where society and it's needs and the ability/requirement to support those needs fundamentally changes. I agree that we need far more support for the vulnerable but it's also clear that it's folly (sorry for the turn of phrase) to flog a dead horse. 

jack D and coke
17 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Your best post in weeks, mate. 😉

Agreed though, thoughts are with anyone who is going to be affected like that. I wish him and his family all the very best.

Mate sometimes you need someone to tell you to STFU....I think that was one of those times :lol: 👍🏼

Some people will be going through proper stress and all I’m worrying about is my social life at the end of the day. Most that know me would think I’ve had enough of a kick at the baw as it is🥴

10 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But, again, we are highlighting C**id.  There are plenty links for people who suffer from, disability,  ME, cancer, Parkinson's etc etc. The obsession with this virus, something that has and only ever will afflict a miniscule amount of the population,  is bizarre. Lots of people have bad reactions and long term health issues that are far worse than this respiratory virus.

I think this is a bit of a strawman argument. Covid is a highly infectious disease in our community right now with no vaccine; it's therefore surely more of a health threat than any other respiratory virus as this point currently?

Happy to be corrected if we have data out there to indicate to the contrary.

On all the other diseases and conditions you mention, we absolutely need to do all we can for them at this time and that does appear to be a failing where we haven't helped those with these conditions during lockdown but I don't think that is necessarily a fault of the policy of lockdown, more how we have managed the lockdown.

56 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What business are you in Jack, if you don't mind me asking? 

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

What business are you in Jack, if you don't mind me asking? 

Building game mate. Absolutely mental workwise honestly. 

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Agreed, we should be learning right now including from different approach to ours. Our hasn’t been remotely successful and probably. . He also spoke to Carl Heneghan and Gupta, who perhaps all hold a slightly different view than current policy. 

Even Sunaks words/tone were quite interesting and suggests perhaps a shifting

in tact and realisation the it’s here to stay and we are going to have to learn to coexist. Maybe less a realisation and more an acceptance, 

I doubt it has impacted a change but it’s becoming very clear that for many the impact of economics are going to be very real. The measures, yesterday, for me weren’t close to enough and a lot of people are going to loose our big style.

When people start getting impacted via, loss of jobs, homes etc it complete despair for many,. (This economically dwarfs anything outside the Great Depression) you will See attitudes shift quickly. The numbers who are directly impacted from economic consequences will be greater than that catch COVID and for vast majority much greater consequences 

You are likely to see a shift in public opinion that they want the economy open up for the overall benefit. 

I agree that we absolutely do need to learn from other countries, although still don't see why Sweden is the poster boy for an alternative given they have had much worse outcomes than their Scandic neighbours with minimal economic difference.

South Korea you think would be a better bet?  https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/09/16/coronavirus-covid-economic-impact-recession-south-korea-success/

I still think an initial lockdown was correct but we mismanaged it and started too late.

The lockdown should have been to control the virus and use the time to develop an effective track and trace, so once we came out of lockdown we could ease restrictions and help the economy.

Other countries have managed this but the UK Government in the middle of a pandemic outsourced it to private companies with no public health experience.

It suits the government if people blame lockdown and the scientists but they have made a clusterf**k out of lockdown on both a health and economic level.

I have no idea why Universities and Schools are open but well manged bars, restaurants and clubs are shutting early , and in Scotland at least people aren't allowed to visit their friends at home. I assume there is an economic reason or a fear of being accused of ruining young people's lives, but if there really is a Science to follow, you'd shut them now. Virtually all lectures are online anyway. Its madness. 

3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I have no idea why Universities and Schools are open but well manged bars, restaurants and clubs are shutting early , and in Scotland at least people aren't allowed to visit their friends at home. I assume there is an economic reason or a fear of being accused of ruining young people's lives, but if there really is a Science to follow, you'd shut them now. Virtually all lectures are online anyway. Its madness. 

Because education is more important than getting pissed, and households are by far the highest "spreading zones".

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, graygo said:

The said individual will be demanding to see medical certification from colleagues and customers who are exempt! 

Patrolling the smoking areas to see if any of the exempt are having a fly fag. 

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Because education is more important than getting pissed, and households are by far the highest "spreading zones".

Where are the "household cases coming from? Outside the home. 

You may see Hospitality venues as being somewhere to "get pissed" but the world is a bit more sophisticated now. 

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I think your missing the point about Sweden slightly. Whilst the Swedish light touch approach is undoubtably more appealing for many the key interest may be its ability to avoid a second wave, Now still some debate about that and time will tell. There are lots of countries we should be learning from but haven’t. We have ****ed this at every turn and appear to be continuing to do so imo

I actually think lockdown was a mistake but I’ll be in the minority and makes no difference as in reality we are we are. 

I have said the govts have been trying to shift the narrative from their many failures to blaming the general public for not following rules. 

Divide and rule in place at moment imo

That's a fair point on a second wave if they do avoid that, although I doubt they have "herd immunity" and are having to introduce local lockdowns but yeah, time will tell.

Agree on the Government shifting the blame, which is incredible given how they have handled this (defending Cummings breaking restrictions), muddled communication on restrictions, announcing measures late, boasting about testing and track and trace and failing miserably. Utterly hopeless.

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Mostly other people's homes.

However you'll get exponential growth when you're getting 100+ cases in one building, with that number only going to rise. 

I'd love to see where Scotland's runaway numbers are coming from?

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Building game mate. Absolutely mental workwise honestly. 

Appears to be a lot of homes getting done! Glad you're busy, I'm under threat as work in travel. 

31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Mostly other people's homes.

Maybe, but 124 cases in a Glasgow halls of residence alone suggests there has been a massive cock up. Students don't need to congregate in one place to be educated anymore. All lectures are online. Freshers week was always a drunken free for all so its hardly a surprise. Telling students not to got to pubs and parties is, I suppose, an admission that it went wrong. Perhaps the govt's need to consult with some behavioural scientists and even some "young people" FFS, before making Covid Policy decisions.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Appears to be a lot of homes getting done! Glad you're busy, I'm under threat as work in travel. 

Yeah it’s been as busy a time as I can remember for a number of years and cheers. 
I hope things change soon or you can get some help from this government scheme, good luck man. 

Just hearing on the radio a scientist saying that students might not get to go home at Christmas . Bit early for that statement I’d have thought ? 
If it’s getting to that stage we might as well give up , protect the vulnerable , absolutely, but we’ve still got to live some kind of life and that involves getting to go home to see loved ones surely . 
I’d stick my neck out and say after the length of time it’s been here most of us will have had it but until we’re all tested we’ll never know . 

Just now, 3fingersreid said:

Just hearing on the radio a scientist saying that students might not get to go home at Christmas . Bit early for that statement I’d have thought ? 
If it’s getting to that stage we might as well give up , protect the vulnerable , absolutely, but we’ve still got to live some kind of life and that involves getting to go home to see loved ones surely . 
I’d stick my neck out and say after the length of time it’s been here most of us will have had it but until we’re all tested we’ll never know . 

Yep, I agree. Scare-mongering at its finest.

2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I've just been working in a Boarding School and they are sending students home as planned for a week's break next week.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yep, I agree. Scare-mongering at its finest.

Correct , 

4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I've just been working in a Boarding School and they are sending students home as planned for a week's break next week.

and yet this guy talks about christmas ( see above for what it is ) 

22 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah it’s been as busy a time as I can remember for a number of years and cheers. 
I hope things change soon or you can get some help from this government scheme, good luck man. 

Not a lot of hope but cheers anyway. 

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's honest though.

We are where we are. If you broadly agree that we need restrictions and that those restrictions may represent the short to medium term normal then it is what it is. 

Our order book is still empty, if I get the heave at the end of next month I can have no arguments. It's an international business and everybody is struggling. The players aren't spending and the contractors are laying off. That doesn't leave much for the planners and consultants. It's not just covid tbf, although that makes the logistics difficult. A general drop in demand and the recent/perrenial US/Russia/OPEC pissing contest all play a big part. 

Life is full of challenges not of your own making. We dust ourselves down as best we can and move on. There will be opportunities for smart folk and those with the courage to seek them. Unfortunately I am neither. 

p.s. The whole thing is utterly shite and I really feel for folk like Normthebarman who stand to lose their home, let alone the millions worldwide for whom this is an actual existential crisis. I'm thankfull that most of us here will likely get through it with our health, sanity, and families still intact. 

Personally, if the government can rack up £2t debt on banks etc... They can stick a another few billion on top to furlough companies who without restrictions, would be highly profitable. 

Put tax up by 5p post Christmas or virus, when we can all pay it back. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Sweden are set to introduce local lockdowns.

But again they are going about it differently. They are looking at possibly introducing very localised and short term lockdowns focused perhaps on just one work place or one district in a city. Not locking down whole cities or regions. They are also conscious of the need to recognise that lockdowns need to be observed and the only way of doing that is to gain widespread acceptance. They have also learnt from France and Spain and Italy that in poorer crowded areas where there may be less respect for the law and lock down may have more serious consequences for the people who live and work there (those certainly exist in the larger Swedish cities) they have to take account of these realities. And the fact that threatening people with large fines they could never afford to pay may be counterproductive. Announcing short term measures is one way of gaining acceptance that rather than threaten that restrictions could last 6 months as we have done. Rules are more likely to be obeyed if some light at the end of the tunnel can be seen.

It is still worth keeping an eye on Swede IMO..

10 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I'm not sure why we abandoned the localised lockdowns so early, thankfully Scotland has avoided the 6 month and large fines rhetoric, however they haven't specifically thought about how to get people to comply with the regulations.  I wouldn't be confident now with any strategy they announce and I'm sure there are many on here who reached that point way before I did.

On a separate point, those who are calling for lockdown of the vulnerable should listen to those shouting about students human rights now they are facing a different set of rules to the rest of us.

Shielding the vulnerable shouldn't be a lockdown if were to be considered. It should be making funds and facilities available to them so that that they could continue to shield should they wish to. It certainly shouldn't be imposed on them.

Student problems could be the first problem for the Scottish Government.

They sorted the exams problem quickly. Fair play.

So far seems its the students getting blamed. Will not end well. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Student problems could be the first problem for the Scottish Government.

They sorted the exams problem quickly. Fair play.

So far seems its the students getting blamed. Will not end well. 

It's nobodies problem really any kind of prolonged mixing in others company and it spreads.What did governments think was going to happen when students started mixing and living together.As always the government's never fully think things through it seems.

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Average life expectancy in UK = 81

Average age of all COVID stamped deaths = 81

Just a coincidence i8. (So we will be told.)

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Just a coincidence i8. (So we will be told.)

It seems that every single actual piece of evidence out there goes over governnents heads. I am in Portugal right now and it is the exact same shit here. They are all at it. Just nonsense after nonsense with countries trying to outdo each other on the ridiculous charts. Something very very fishy.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It seems that every single actual piece of evidence out there goes over governnents heads. I am in Portugal right now and it is the exact same shit here. They are all at it. Just nonsense after nonsense with countries trying to outdo each other on the ridiculous charts. Something very very fishy.

Scotland a laughing stock regarding the student chaos just now 

Halls of Residence in Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh all having outbreaks. 
This should have been anticipated IMO be interesting to what happens next when Sturgeon speaks in a second 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic