Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

7 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

It’s 22

You would think the Scotsman would get their facts right.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers I thought that would be the case. I would  its almost impossible on a site to keep 2m distances without causing other issues. Though part of me does wonder if places likes this are potential hotspots, albeit I assume a lot of outside work.

Do management impose/monitor it?

When you say calling out the whole thing. Can you clarify what you mean do you believe it was fake or just the actions taken were sledgehammer to crack nut type thing. Just wondering.

Since I've been back I've been on 3 jobs.

All have systems in place.

Of the 3 one was very strict the others not so much.

Sledgehammer imo .

And not just economically.

Health implications of lockdown look like they may exceed that of the virus.

Och I dunno 

54 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Scotsman saying 4 new infections. Differs sources it seems. 

That was yesterday mate.

13 hours ago, jake said:

It's easily forgotten as no one seems to be catching the virus .

Except in America, France, Spain, Italy, Australia, Japan, England, Belgium, Brazil, Mexico, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, Luxemburg, Croatia... who are all experiencing rising numbers.

Edited by Ray Gin

21 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Recent increases in Spain and Germany are certainly a cause for concern. I wonder if we can do anything different, to stop the same happening in Scotland?

Perhaps stick to the government rules and ignore the muppets who say that it is just fizzing out and you should carry on with life as normal.

OmiyaHearts
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Perhaps stick to the government rules and ignore the muppets who say that it is just fizzing out and you should carry on with life as normal.

Fortunately, almost everyone seems to be adhering to social distancing and mask wearing, certainly in Glasgow city centre and Southside. Even in the pub last Friday night, everyone seemed very conscious of the guidelines. I really like not having to squeeze in at a bar trying to get served, sitting for table service is a million times better. 

Fingers crossed it does the trick.

54 minutes ago, graygo said:

That was yesterday mate.

👍 the twits had down for today then changed later.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Except in America, France, Spain, Italy, Australia, Japan, England, Belgium, Brazil, Mexico, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, Luxemburg, Croatia... who are all experiencing rising numbers.

Most folk are either oblivious to what's going on elsewhere or just don't give a shit until it affects them directly. The Jockland figures would suggest that, despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the good folk of these lands are, by and large, taking the necessary precautions.

23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Most folk are either oblivious to what's going on elsewhere or just don't give a shit until it affects them directly. The Jockland figures would suggest that, despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the good folk of these lands are, by and large, taking the necessary precautions.

The Jockland figures are low because of the strict precautions and most folk sticking to them. Hopefully folk continue to listen to them.

Some folk seem to think that because our numbers are now low that means the whole thing has been a sham.

Edited by Ray Gin

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've heard plenty of anecdotal evidence like this but it's certainly a sensitive subject, especially in light of the BLM carry on. The mainstream don't want to touch it.

The mayor of Leicester said as much at the start of their local lockdown. The public health message wasn't getting through to some communities as they can't read English and don't engage in local/national media sources. 

That and the propensity for multi-generational living was causing major issues. 

Governor Tarkin

The Jockland figures are low because of the strict precautions and most folk sticking to them. Hopefully folk continue to listen to them.

The Jockland precautions haven't been drastically different to the rest of the UK, but most folk have largely stuck to them, which is what I said. Well done us. Pats on the back all round.

Englandshires figures may well be skewed by differences in population density and it's proportionally greater cultural diversity, as highlighted by TMR's post that I've quoted below - as opposed to less stringent restrictions.

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The mayor of Leicester said as much at the start of their local lockdown. The public health message wasn't getting through to some communities as they can't read English and don't engage in local/national media sources. 

That and the propensity for multi-generational living was causing major issues. 

Cheers ☺👍

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Why the **** are these briefings still happening? (As if I didn’t know 😂)

Once a week would be more than plenty.

It’s a scandal.

JudyJudyJudy
41 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The Jockland precautions haven't been drastically different to the rest of the UK, but most folk have largely stuck to them, which is what I said. Well done us. Pats on the back all round.

Englandshires figures may well be skewed by differences in population density and it's proportionally greater cultural diversity, as highlighted by TMR's post that I've quoted below - as opposed to less stringent restrictions.

Cheers ☺👍

Very good analysis  regarding English figures. 

JudyJudyJudy

I went out today for a long walk and to do some shopping.  Nice to see people out and about but its all getting very dystopian now.  Walking about in " Tesco" and loud speakers going on about the virus, "staying safe" " remember to social distance " etc.  Then various other markers to stand here, there and everywhere.   Anyway i  really enjoyed the walk and felt refreshed afterwards and it made me think of those who incredibly are still staying in and have never left their house since March.   I know most are probably shielding but surely they should at least go out for a brief walk to get fresh air. Its the best medicine.  Its concerning. 

Nucky Thompson

Anyone else notice the total negativity over the last couple of days by the MSM?

2nd wave this, 2nd wave that.

English deaths up 79% in a week!! They went from 11 last Wednesday to 19 today 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

if you don't like it - don't watch it.

I find it useful and it helps to get the message across to people that they must adhere to social distancing and wear face masks when appropriate!

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Anyone else notice the total negativity over the last couple of days by the MSM?

There are definitely vested interests out there , desperate to up the fear factor and keep the Coronavirus dominating the news. The BBC are delighted to act as official mouthpiece, with their nightly visit to an ICU somewhere in the world. 

Coronavirus deaths in Scotland are now accountimg for 1% of the total deaths but still we get,  daily, wee Jimmy K expressing her "sympathy" for those mourning. How about sympathy for the 99% ??  The picture in the UK is much improved so we need to warn of mythical second waves. How long until we hear about 3rd waves?  Will they get the weather girl out to track the 2nd wave as it hurtles across the UK? Would be handy to know when to batten down the hatches. Meanwhile the WHO say second waves don't exist and it's simply different countries suppressing the outbreak at different stages. You couldn't make all the hysteria up.

2 hours ago, weehammy said:

To annoy the unionists, obviously.

Hope they are all finding them extremely 'nippy'. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

:laugh:

The daily briefings are continuing because the virus is still at work.

It's not gone away no matter how much Westminster says it has.

Edited by Cade

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yes I have noticed it for a long time. In particular the use of fear mongering language  such as " spike"  "surge" " outbreak" etc.  All clearly used to cause anxiety . Why cant they have headlines such as " Another day without a CV death in Scotland "   " Hospital admissions down again for CV"  etc etc.  

I think she quite enjoys the spotlight. Her ultimate goal is never far from her mind. 

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Well said. 

the Daily Mail readers think otherwise 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I have noticed it for a long time. In particular the use of fear mongering language  such as " spike"  "surge" " outbreak" etc.  All clearly used to cause anxiety . Why cant they have headlines such as " Another day without a CV death in Scotland "   " Hospital admissions down again for CV"  etc etc.  

Like this? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-53538094

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-53348478

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeon-announces-no-new-22435451.amp

8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

There are around 30 of us on site atm.

Including them my friends and family I know of one person who was in her 80s that was suspected.

I dont doubt the figures and I am grateful that I've been unaffected.

I'm not advocating breaking the guidelines .

I am asking if the detriment to health is or will be worse that the virus.

And that will be felt by the vulnerable.

In particular children and younger people.

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

We can all pick headlines to suit our narrative 

It's balance though.

There are positive headlines covering where there has been good progress. But it should be taken with a pinch of what we're faced with and the impact spikes could have while we're in uncharted territory.

We're buying time as best as we can while treatments and vaccines are put through rigorous trials. I'm glass half full on that part and think we're not far from returning back to normal.

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There are definitely vested interests out there , desperate to up the fear factor and keep the Coronavirus dominating the news. The BBC are delighted to act as official mouthpiece, with their nightly visit to an ICU somewhere in the world. 

Coronavirus deaths in Scotland are now accountimg for 1% of the total deaths but still we get,  daily, wee Jimmy K expressing her "sympathy" for those mourning. How about sympathy for the 99% ??  The picture in the UK is much improved so we need to warn of mythical second waves. How long until we hear about 3rd waves?  Will they get the weather girl out to track the 2nd wave as it hurtles across the UK? Would be handy to know when to batten down the hatches. Meanwhile the WHO say second waves don't exist and it's simply different countries suppressing the outbreak at different stages. You couldn't make all the hysteria up.

That last sentence in your latest montage of drivel is a wonderful example of your relationship with irony. 😁

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

That last sentence in your latest montage of drivel is a wonderful example of your relationship with irony. 😁

Surely it would only be ironic if Enzo was hystrical.

He may well be talking pish, but it's calm and measured pish.

Weakened Offender
29 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Surely it would only be ironic if Enzo was hystrical.

He may well be talking pish, but it's calm and measured pish.

He's always hysterical. 😊

Governor Tarkin
22 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

He's always hysterical. 😊

So we are safe to file hysterical next to irony in our list of words whose actual meanings Mr Offender has a slender grasp of.

Duly noted. 👍

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

So we are safe to file hysterical next to irony in our list of words whose actual meanings Mr Offender has a slender grasp of.

Duly noted. 👍

🏅

7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I think she quite enjoys the spotlight. Her ultimate goal is never far from her mind. 

Yip, the total eradication of covid 19. 

"Hong Kong on the verge of a large Covid 19 outbreak" Carrie Lam

France has it highest infection number in a month. 

Spain infections rise to 282,641

And in case we think we're OK, the UK has 83 deaths in the last 24 hrs. 

11 hours ago, Cade said:

As much as Sturgeon protests they aren’t political, they are certainly becoming that way

Yesterday, Finance Minister Kate Forbes was saying if only we had powers that any other country would have then we could do this, that and the next thing. That’s not COVID related, it is just a subtle reminder to a captive audience about independence. 

When’s Sturgeon gets asked a political question at her briefings, she starts off well by saying that this is a COVID briefing and that is her key focus but then goes on to give a quick political dig anyway. She could instead make it clear to journalists if they ask a political question they lose their question. She isn’t trying very hard to avoid them. 

Contrast with the UK briefing back when Catherine Calderwood went to her second home in Fife. A journalist asked a question about it and the answer was that it was an issue for Scottish Gov and no more was said. That’s all she needs to do if journalists try taking her down a political path but she just can’t help herself  

The Scottish daily briefings have run their course. They are thinly veiled party political broadcasts now with very little to say. Once a week would be fine if there is any actual news to deliver. 

40 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

As much as Sturgeon protests they aren’t political, they are certainly becoming that way

Yesterday, Finance Minister Kate Forbes was saying if only we had powers that any other country would have then we could do this, that and the next thing. That’s not COVID related, it is just a subtle reminder to a captive audience about independence. 

When’s Sturgeon gets asked a political question at her briefings, she starts off well by saying that this is a COVID briefing and that is her key focus but then goes on to give a quick political dig anyway. She could instead make it clear to journalists if they ask a political question they lose their question. She isn’t trying very hard to avoid them. 

Contrast with the UK briefing back when Catherine Calderwood went to her second home in Fife. A journalist asked a question about it and the answer was that it was an issue for Scottish Gov and no more was said. That’s all she needs to do if journalists try taking her down a political path but she just can’t help herself  

The Scottish daily briefings have run their course. They are thinly veiled party political broadcasts now with very little to say. Once a week would be fine if there is any actual news to deliver. 

:bigyawn:

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Russia have 2 vaccines close to success. 

Forgive my cynicism, Ausseh, but I wouldn't be going near any Russian vaccine.

22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:bigyawn:

What was wrong about what was posted?

You're absolutely blinkered to any criticism of Sturgeon, the SNP, the drive for independence, or Scotland in general.

You're a zealot, mate.

14 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Let's take a look at what the WHO actually said:

The Covid-19 pandemic is currently unfolding in “one big wave” with no evidence that it follows seasonal variations common to influenza and other coronaviruses, such as the common cold, the World Health Organization has warned.

Amid continued debates over what constitutes a second wave, a resurgence or seasonal return of the disease, Margaret Harris, a WHO spokesperson, insisted that these discussions are not a helpful way to understand the spread of the disease.

“People are still thinking about seasons. What we all need to get our heads around is this is a new virus and this one is behaving differently,” Harris told a virtual briefing in Geneva, urging vigilance in applying measures to slow transmission that appears to be accelerated by mass gatherings.

She also warned against thinking in terms of virus waves, saying: “It’s going to be one big wave. It’s going to go up and down a bit. The best thing is to flatten it and turn it into just something lapping at your feet.”

Seen from a global viewpoint – such as that of the WHO – the pandemic appears as a single, large and still-accelerating outbreak, with worldwide numbers doubling in the past six weeks.

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, graygo said:

Judge it on the number of excess deaths they said.

Screenshot_20200730-101212.png

The Guardian maintaining its role as doom-monger in chief. Although excess deaths is generally considered the best measure, attributing them all to Covid 19 will be misleading or at least not tell the whole story. as some will die as a result of lock down, deferral of treatments for other illnesses, impact of recession on poverty and health and so on.  There has been little mention of the fact that for 5 weeks excess deaths in the UK have been negative - deaths have been lower than than the 5 year average for the same period.  

A proper assessment won't be possible for a long time.

13 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Well said. 

the Daily Mail readers think otherwise 

What have the SNP and the Daily Mail got in common? They both supported the Nazis.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

What have the SNP and the Daily Mail got in common? They both supported the Nazis.

:rofl:

12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Although excess deaths is generally considered the best measure, attributing them all to Covid 19 will be misleading or at least not tell the whole story. as some will die as a result of lock down, deferral of treatments for other illnesses, impact of recession on poverty and health and so on.  

Same boat for all the other countries' excess deaths too though. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic