Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Thanks.  Yes like i said i was invited to go to Derry for a couple days but just felt being on a plane just now for me is a bridge too far at the present time. I've been out to beer gardens , on buses and indoor pubs so not overly anxious. My mate  said the plane journey was fine. People had to wear their masks all through the short flight etc. All safe.  Yes its not going anyway anytime soon and i expect localised " spikes" etc but these should be well managed by the NHS track and trace. 

Personally I’d have probably went on a short flight but again you’re within your right to decide that it’s not for you at this time. Very important you’re allowed to make that call though imo. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

and the fake pandemic merchants all have a screw loose. These numb skulls need locking up. I’m all for freedom of speech but people who post this propaganda on line need the posts removed. 

Explain a little for me bud...not 100% sure what point you’re making?

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Explain a little for me bud...not 100% sure what point you’re making?

The people posting anti vaccine and fake pandemic propaganda online like this virus is fake and it’s being used by governments to control the population. Others going on about Bill Gates being behind many of the vaccines whilst refusing to have a vaccine at all. In essence in agreeing with you but adding in other nutcases who seem hell bent on derailing any chance of making this thing go away any time soon. 
Hope that makes sense🤞🏼

Waaah I want to go on holiday and demand guarantees it will be safe and free from all other risks.

Boris says it's entirely up to people to make up their own minds.   Nicola says it's better to assume it's too risky.

Both messages are fine.   The over-arching reality is that there is risk and it can't be eliminated.    What a lunatic world it is to expect to be given guarantees that you can travel around in the middle of a pandemic without unexpected or urgent travel measures coming into force.

If people need to be told they absolutely cannot travel instead of thinking it out themselves then fine.    There is no grounds for complaint now.   Surely people must have some understanding of their own responsibilities.

All roads lead to Gorgie
38 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

They are just " at risk" at home than going on holiday.  People need to start living and not being afraid.  Spain has only had minimal " spikes" and Benidorm is almost covid free.  Let people enjoy themselves. Jesus we have all had a shit 4 months so I dont blame people for wanting to go on holiday and enjoy themselves. Yes its a risk but so is staying home. However I was maybe  going to  Northern Ireland on Saturday but decided against it as I don't fancy being on a plane yet. That was my personal risk assessment.  

I know people are at similar risk at home but weighing it up it is better to take that risk here and boost the economy here  at the same time. Spain will still be there next year and so could an effective vaccine, not certain but I personally would rather wait. 

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Personally I’d have probably went on a short flight but again you’re within your right to decide that it’s not for you at this time. Very important you’re allowed to make that call though imo. 

Yes your right a short flight would have probably be the better alternative. 

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The people posting anti vaccine and fake pandemic propaganda online like this virus is fake and it’s being used by governments to control the population. Others going on about Bill Gates being behind many of the vaccines whilst refusing to have a vaccine at all. In essence in agreeing with you but adding in other nutcases who seem hell bent on derailing any chance of making this thing go away any time soon. 
Hope that makes sense🤞🏼

Haha yeah I agree man. These Bill Gates freakshows are everywhere!! I’ve had it posted all over my Facebook by people you really expect to know better. 

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Sickness be gone!

When Dennis trys to test his singing voice out and just whiteys right in the sink ha

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I know people are at similar risk at home but weighing it up it is better to take that risk here and boost the economy here  at the same time. Spain will still be there next year and so could an effective vaccine, not certain but I personally would rather wait. 

Yes i can see your point. 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Dr Nichola Steedman - whooo hoooo x

but Nanny Mcphee trolling us day after Arbitration wearing her Hubz/Ceptic away outfit 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

There’s a lot of british jobs hanging in the balance with airports, airlines and holiday firms too. 

North Berwick Jambo

Are the tories still crying about the Scottish government updates on the BBC? (The irony! ) Although the deflecting the attention to Spain is a clever move considering the statistics for the past  5 days! 

Deaths in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 426

Deaths in Spain 🇪🇸 12 

Edited by North Berwick Jambo

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

There’s a lot of british jobs hanging in the balance with airports, airlines and holiday firms too. 

Maybe a chance to increase flights to the southwest of England from other parts of the country. London to Inverness would boost the North, I'm sure slots are being freed up with many not being used at hub airports right now. 

36 minutes ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

Are the tories still crying about the Scottish government updates on the BBC? (The irony! ) Although the deflecting the attention to Spain is a clever move considering the statistics for the past  5 days! 

Deaths in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 426

Deaths in Spain 🇪🇸 12 

426 new daily cases in England. 2120 new cases in Spain. They were at 200 a few weeks back.

Edited by Ray Gin

OmiyaHearts

Recent increases in Spain and Germany are certainly a cause for concern. I wonder if we can do anything different, to stop the same happening in Scotland?

How many of these new cases in Europe need hospitalisation as opposed to being asymptomatic or even just mildly ill? Just that I’m reminded about an article from Italy back in June where the discussion was that covid was losing its potency. Would be good news if it was the case, especially when you hear the stories about elderly people sitting up in bed after having covid as opposed to dying within days of infection in its peak in March.

Lots of data to look at:

Number of tests done

Positive cases

Hospitalisations

Intensive care

Deaths

Then you also have to factor in location, age, bmi, general health, underlying conditions, lots of other stuff.

9 minutes ago, Gone said:

UK death figures seem relatively high if you compare it to daily cases.

Would be interesting to see %s

there is an investigation looking into the numbers as in those covid-19 deaths is anyone who has tested positive for covid-19. even if they tested positive 3 months ago and recovered. It looks like PHE have been a bit lazy with the numbers using the having previously tested positive rule to be included rather than recently tested positive. Similar to those death certs where it is suspected the person had covid-19 without having it confirmed

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Recent increases in Spain and Germany are certainly a cause for concern. I wonder if we can do anything different, to stop the same happening in Scotland?

I think it is up to everyone here to remember to stick to proper social distancing, everywhere you go now you come across people, particularly the young, who just don't give two hoots for the guidelines anymore. 

45 minutes ago, main said:

How many of these new cases in Europe need hospitalisation as opposed to being asymptomatic or even just mildly ill? Just that I’m reminded about an article from Italy back in June where the discussion was that covid was losing its potency. Would be good news if it was the case, especially when you hear the stories about elderly people sitting up in bed after having covid as opposed to dying within days of infection in its peak in March.

This has been a big debate in Italy over the last 5 or 6 weeks. Basically there are some doctors who are saying that quite simply the people that are being admitted to hospital now are not displaying the same level of illness as those back in February and March. But some epidemiologists are countering this by saying that this doesn't necessarily mean that the virus is weakening as such - it could just be down to people who are infected getting a lower viral load due to warmer weather/being outside more coupled with the effectiveness of social distancing measures. I guess we'll have more of an idea who is right once we get into the Autumn.

5 minutes ago, stirlo said:

This has been a big debate in Italy over the last 5 or 6 weeks. Basically there are some doctors who are saying that quite simply the people that are being admitted to hospital now are not displaying the same level of illness as those back in February and March. But some epidemiologists are countering this by saying that this doesn't necessarily mean that the virus is weakening as such - it could just be down to people who are infected getting a lower viral load due to warmer weather/being outside more coupled with the effectiveness of social distancing measures. I guess we'll have more of an idea who is right once we get into the Autumn.

Viruses do get weaker after time as the whole raison d’etre of a virus is not to kill its host but to spread, which is made less likely if it destroys the immune system and kills its host. Much rather think along those lines than the warm weather argument. The weather was warmer in this country in May and June when infections were higher as opposed to just now so that would perhaps suggest it is not that huge a factor, outside of winter at least where lots of other things are made worse aswell. Deaths in the UK are higher than other European nations as it stands although we are now at a point where roughly 5% or less of daily deaths in Britain have covid as a suspected factor.

Jambo-Jimbo
43 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I think it is up to everyone here to remember to stick to proper social distancing, everywhere you go now you come across people, particularly the young, who just don't give two hoots for the guidelines anymore. 

This was what the Spanish authorities said was why they shut down two streets on the strip in Magaluf, the young ignoring social distancing, face masks etc etc etc, basically not giving a feck.

Jambo-Jimbo
39 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Or maybe that they didn't have as serious and or as many comorbidities as those who'd been infected in February/March.

In other words whilst they may have been old, they may also have been much healthier and fitter than those infected first, meaning if that was a factor then it's not really comparing like for like. 

Just a thought, just thinking aloud, that's all.

23 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Totally different scenario. The travel advice is against all non essential travel to Spain.

You can travel anywhere in the UK and if you get asked to self isolate it is because you have had contact with an infected person

The post I replied to never mentioned Spain it said " People going on holiday during the pandemic really should be blaming no one but themselves if they find things go wrong"       What about a country not on the quarantine list, how is that different to holidaying in the UK?

I've posted on the effects of lockdown v the economy and the effect on health.

Never mind the economic impact and the follow on in health.

Its health v health .

And the lockdown doesnt cut it from the figures coming out.

Now I'm old.

I have older parents.

I have a child who was shielding and I have followed the rules.

But I really am wondering wtf.

And it's now political.

There is as far as I can see real push back from the science community against what's went on.

20 minutes ago, jake said:

I've posted on the effects of lockdown v the economy and the effect on health.

Never mind the economic impact and the follow on in health.

Its health v health .

And the lockdown doesnt cut it from the figures coming out.

Now I'm old.

I have older parents.

I have a child who was shielding and I have followed the rules.

But I really am wondering wtf.

And it's now political.

There is as far as I can see real push back from the science community against what's went on.

Is there really a pushback though. If 100 scientists think one thing and one scientist thinks another, who gets in the news? Who gets retweeted etc? 

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Is there really a pushback though. If 100 scientists think one thing and one scientist thinks another, who gets in the news? Who gets retweeted etc? 

Both atm.

I accept the point you make but the figures for health impacts are real.

The science disagreeing with the official line is real.

Sorry I should maybe have posted this on the covid conspiracy thread.

4 minutes ago, jake said:

Both atm.

I accept the point you make but the figures for health impacts are real.

The science disagreeing with the official line is real.

Sorry I should maybe have posted this on the covid conspiracy thread.

You’re probably better read on it than I am at the moment jake. Been back at work so not reading as much news as I normally do. 
If science points to the government getting things wrong at any stage they’ll just find other scientists to back their original policies/reactions. It’ll be a long time before the full effects of lockdown on health and mental health are known. 

30 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You’re probably better read on it than I am at the moment jake. Been back at work so not reading as much news as I normally do. 
If science points to the government getting things wrong at any stage they’ll just find other scientists to back their original policies/reactions. It’ll be a long time before the full effects of lockdown on health and mental health are known. 

I'm not especially better read mate.

I've been back 8/9 weeks mate.

At first we all kept our distance etc.

The site has strict tack and trace.

But no one not one apart from me knows anyone who has died or diagnosed with covid.

Not one.

And mines was suspected.

I reiterate that I have elderly parents a child who is at extreme risk (according to advice).

So I'm affected like anyone .

2 minutes ago, jake said:

I'm not especially better read mate.

I've been back 8/9 weeks mate.

At first we all kept our distance etc.

The site has strict tack and trace.

But no one not one apart from me knows anyone who has died or diagnosed with covid.

Not one.

And mines was suspected.

I reiterate that I have elderly parents a child who is at extreme risk (according to advice).

So I'm affected like anyone .

A lot of folk in Edinburgh seem to have the same experience as you including most people I know, including workmates. 

I’m in the shielding group and the whole lockdown thing was very difficult and stressful. A real mental test and not in a good way. 

Edited by GinRummy

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

A lot of folk in Edinburgh seem to have the same experience as you including most people I know, including workmates. 

I’m in the shielding group and the whole lockdown thing was very difficult and stressful. A real mental test and not in a good way. 

Like I said I have followed the advice but I'm left wondering.

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Do people still obey the social distancing etc or everyone become quite blasé about it?  

I think most folk are blasé about it amongst family and close friends.

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Do people still obey the social distancing etc or everyone become quite blasé about it?  

The track trace thing is adhered as in declaring your fitness regards symptoms for work.

Canteen 

Working alongside

All forgotten

Social distancing on other sites and other measures vary.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's easily forgotten as no one seems to be catching the virus .

Tbh I'm calling out the whole thing.

Especially given the fall out 

Jambo 4 Ever
12 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This is very concerning 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

This is very concerning 

Only if you let it concern you.

You have absolutely no control over how others choose to conduct themselves, so concentrate on keeping your own house in order and accept that the course of history will take care of the bigger picture.

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't more cortisol related fatalities than covid related fatalities in Scotland at the moment. Introducing an Amsterdam style coffee shop culture and prescribing reggae music on the NHS would put a dent in that imo.

jack D and coke
12 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I suppose nobody is catching it or feeling ill etc so it’s easier to get that way.
Just listening on the radio this morning about the outbreaks in Oldham and Blackburn etc, they’re certainly blasé down there, or certain groups are. Guy phoned in (obviously an evil and vicious racist) and said in his street there was asians with 20+ people living in 3 bedroom homes!!! The entire families from grandparents to the children. None of them wearing any masks and basically wandering about as normal in shops and parks etc saying it’s against their religion not to properly greet people. It’s easy to see why there’s outbreaks down there then. 

I’d honestly hate to live in some of those towns in England. 

Weakened Offender
51 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Only if you let it concern you.

You have absolutely no control over how others choose to conduct themselves, so concentrate on keeping your own house in order and accept that the course of history will take care of the bigger picture.

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't more cortisol related fatalities than covid related fatalities in Scotland at the moment. Introducing an Amsterdam style coffee shop culture and prescribing reggae music on the NHS would put a dent in that imo.

Do you ever take a day off from yourself? 

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Do you ever take a day off from yourself? 

What a preposterous question.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

What a preposterous question.

Didn't you take a week off last summer? Went to Hunter's Quay IIRC, leaving yourself behind to chill in the house?

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I suppose nobody is catching it or feeling ill etc so it’s easier to get that way.
Just listening on the radio this morning about the outbreaks in Oldham and Blackburn etc, they’re certainly blasé down there, or certain groups are. Guy phoned in (obviously an evil and vicious racist) and said in his street there was asians with 20+ people living in 3 bedroom homes!!! The entire families from grandparents to the children. None of them wearing any masks and basically wandering about as normal in shops and parks etc saying it’s against their religion not to properly greet people. It’s easy to see why there’s outbreaks down there then. 

I’d honestly hate to live in some of those towns in England. 

I've heard plenty of anecdotal evidence like this but it's certainly a sensitive subject, especially in light of the BLM carry on. The mainstream don't want to touch it.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Didn't you take a week off last summer? Went to Hunter's Quay IIRC, leaving yourself behind to chill in the house?

I often swan about behaving as I please and let the portrait in the attic bear the cosequences.

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I often swan about behaving as I please and let the portrait in the attic bear the cosequences.

We need more swans and bears IMO

Nicola Sturgeon daily briefing 

No new Covid-19 admissions to ICU since July 9

No new deaths related to coronavirus have occurred

Four new cases of the virus were identified in Scotland over the last 24 hours, taking the total confirmed in the country to 18,558

Edited by Boy Daniel

Zero deaths again today in Scotland.

No new ICU admissions in last 20 days

22 new infections, an outbreak in Glasgow/Clyde area.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Zero deaths again today in Scotland.

No new ICU admissions in last 20 days

22 new infections, an outbreak in Glasgow/Clyde area.

Scotsman saying 4 new infections. Differs sources it seems. 

Jambo 4 Ever
10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Scotsman saying 4 new infections. Differs sources it seems. 

It’s 22

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic