Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

One or two of you maybe aware that I'm due major surgery this week. I'm required to go for a covid test prior to the op. I contacted the hospital because I fall within a vulnerable group and explained that I lived 40 odd miles away from the test centre. The hospital told me if I didn't travel through then the surgery will be cancelled. So I'm having to get 2 buses and a train to  my appointment.:sniff:  That's the NHS in a Tory government.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Sausage
14 minutes ago, Marvin said:

One or two of you maybe aware that I'm due major surgery this week. I'm required to go for a covid test prior to the op. I contacted the hospital because I fall within a vulnerable group and explained that I lived 40 odd miles away from the test centre. The hospital told me if I didn't travel through then the surgery will be cancelled. So I'm having to get 2 buses and a train to  my appointment.:sniff:  That's the NHS in a Tory government.  

Would the requirement for a coronavirus test be different under a LD or Labour government?

Good luck for the surgery :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Would the requirement for a coronavirus test be different under a LD or Labour government?

Good luck for the surgery :thumbsup:

I even phoned the hospital and explained that I'm shielding and if I could get a kit sent to me or got to the main hospital in Bath for it. According to them it had to be done at the Covid test centre 40 miles away in Bristol meaning getting 2 buses and a train on a Sunday or my upcoming surgery would be cancelled. :wacko: 

Just for clarity the hospital is nearer Gloucester on the outskirts of Bristol.

Edited by Marvin

18 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I even phoned the hospital and explained that I'm shielding and if I could get a kit sent to me or got to the main hospital in Bath for it. According to them it had to be done at the Covid test centre 40 miles away in Bristol meaning getting 2 buses and a train on a Sunday or my upcoming surgery would be cancelled. :wacko: 

Just for clarity the hospital is nearer Gloucester on the outskirts of Bristol.

I'd pay the £120+ round trip taxi fair, if I was desperate enough to be operated on. 

Jambo 4 Ever
9 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Totally gutted by these protests. I’ve spent 10 weeks working on the frontline on the fight against the virus and I now see these idiots jeopardise all the hard work put in by the majority. Yet again our government will let a small rabble of idiots jeopardise all the progress we’ve made. 

Time for a radical change in this country. No longer can we sit back and let these fools Do what they want! 

This

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'd pay the £120+ round trip taxi fair, if I was desperate enough to be operated on. 

You’ll be minted after doing a bit of taxi driving.

:P

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’ll be minted after doing a bit of taxi driving.

:P

:Aye:

:D it's shite, but unlike some others, I pay my own bills.  

Edited by ri Alban

doctor jambo

Notice HMRC have automatically deferred all self assessment payments due at the end of July until January .

Seems a bit financially suicidal for the government to do this.

So half the annual intake from the self employed is not being collected?
Where is the wisdom in that?

Jambo 4 Ever
7 hours ago, graygo said:

I missed the briefing today so just seen the figures, more encouraging signs.

Scottish numbers: 6 June 2020

• 21 new confirmed cases of COVID-19
  • 6 new reported deaths of people who have tested positive

Just wait for idiots In Scotland to do the protesting today - these figures will soon change sadly 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:Aye:

:D it's shite, but unlike some others, I pay my own bills.  

👍

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

Knowing ma luck, I'll catch Covid in my last week, starting tomorrow. Usual. And with all these dobbers protesting in the name of an armed robber. We'll all get it. 

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Knowing ma luck, I'll catch Covid in my last week, starting tomorrow. Usual. And with all these dobbers protesting in the name of an armed robber. We'll all get it. 

Good luck mate.

I detest these morons.

Gordon Ramsay

I presume all these idiots protesting who hate Boris and our government won't be accepting furlough payments then?

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Make sure its not a drive through test centre. 

Because you don't get seen if you are not in a car. 

Ridiculous situation overall. 

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Do you live in England?  Anyhoo hope your surgery goes well. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I presume all these idiots protesting who hate Boris and our government won't be accepting furlough payments then?

Daft statement, should people who hated Thatcher not sign on as unemployed??

People need money no matter who is in charge are you really saying if you don't like the Government don't take the money, the money most would have been paying in TAX for decades...

I don't hold the Government overly responsible for the present numbers of dead, UK is in the area of Europe with the highest numbers and we have the highest numbers of people at risk, that includes Blacks, Indians(greater India), those with health issues lets not pretend the UK doesn't have a bad diet and overweight population compared to most other  European nations, plus the UK has a lot of high density populated areas that are pretty close to the next area thus little hard to stop spread. ie Midlands/Lanks and Yorks cities/NE cities they blend almost into 1.

I doubt anyone in charge would have made too many different decisions. Also a lot was taken from "WHO" which is changing its advice on things like masks, now if the people in the know don't know you really can't win.

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Amazes me after all these years of devolution people still dont get who runs our NHS

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I do mate, been down in Bath for almost 20 years now. Only popped down to visit a mate and I'm still down here.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Marvin said:

I do mate, been down in Bath for almost 20 years now. Only popped down to visit a mate and I'm still down here.

Talk about overstaying your welcome! :laugh:

10 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Amazes me after all these years of devolution people still dont get who runs our NHS

He's fae Bath and has to travel to Bristol .Read the thread. 

Edited by ri Alban

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

He's fae Bristol. Read the thread. 

All 464 pages. Na your alright 

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

This page 

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

This page 

He only said that after my comment. It was more a general comment anyway.

1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

He only said that after my comment. It was more a general comment anyway.

Last page isn't too much of an effort, is it. Or does that not allow you to attack the SNP. 

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I live in Bath mate. ri Alban is right.

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, ri Alban said:

Last page isn't too much of an effort, is it. Or does that not allow you to attack the SNP. 

You're just being pedantic now.

Jambo-Jimbo
25 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Daft statement, should people who hated Thatcher not sign on as unemployed??

People need money no matter who is in charge are you really saying if you don't like the Government don't take the money, the money most would have been paying in TAX for decades...

I don't hold the Government overly responsible for the present numbers of dead, UK is in the area of Europe with the highest numbers and we have the highest numbers of people at risk, that includes Blacks, Indians(greater India), those with health issues lets not pretend the UK doesn't have a bad diet and overweight population compared to most other  European nations, plus the UK has a lot of high density populated areas that are pretty close to the next area thus little hard to stop spread. ie Midlands/Lanks and Yorks cities/NE cities they blend almost into 1.

I doubt anyone in charge would have made too many different decisions. Also a lot was taken from "WHO" which is changing its advice on things like masks, now if the people in the know don't know you really can't win.

Someone posted on here way back at the start of this, probably in January before this virus came to Scotland, that when it did it would devastate the population, and listed the high levels of obesity, poor diet, high levels of heart disease, lung disease etc etc, indeed I remember some doctors/scientists took to the media and expressed similar concerns that they feared that the UK would end up with Europe's biggest death toll from this, and it all seems to have come true.

It is probably no coincidence that the UK & US, two countries with high levels of obesity are also two of the worst affected countries in terms of deaths.

There will of course be other factors at play here as well, such as what you have listed above, each will all play their part to some degree or another.

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

You're just being pedantic now.

How is he being pedantic? Marvin went to great lengths to explain he was on Bath, the test centre was in Bristol and the hospital was in Gloucester on the page before this one.

Edited by graygo

Just listening to another conversation, I don't think everyone realises that anyone who has symptoms can get a Covid 19 test. 

Lone Striker
51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Someone posted on here way back at the start of this, probably in January before this virus came to Scotland, that when it did it would devastate the poor health caused by population, and listed the high levels of obesity, poor diet, high levels of heart disease, lung disease etc etc, indeed I remember some doctors/scientists took to the media and expressed similar concerns that they feared that the UK would end up with Europe's biggest death toll from this, and it all seems to have come true.

It is probably no coincidence that the UK & US, two countries with high levels of obesity are also two of the worst affected countries in terms of deaths.

There will of course be other factors at play here as well, such as what you have listed above, each will all play their part to some degree or another.

You could be right about the obesity etc and large-scale general poor health caused by air pollution  (and self-inflicted smoking etc) being a significant factor.   If you add in Brazil, then a further co-incidence is that all 3 are run by bampots with very little knowledge or empathy to do with public health, and seem to be pre-occupied with keeping their polling numbers intact by appearing "tough".

Once medical science gets on top of this virus, the inquiries into government decision-making is going to be one hell of a sh1t-show.   

Edited by Lone Striker

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

You could be right about the obesity etc and large-scale general poor health caused by air pollution  (and self-inflicted smoking etc) being a significant factor.   If you add in Brazil, then a further co-incidence is that all 3 are run by bampots with very little knowledge or empathy to do with public health, and seem to be pre-occupied with keeping their polling numbers intact by appearing "tough".

Once medical science gets on top of this virus, the inquiries into government decision-making is going to be one hell of a sh1t-show.   

extreme views on various things could be called "extreme" in their views

It's also choices about where resources went.

I think we tend to assume we would use everything we have. But it seems the Government made certain choices notably not to use certain lab facilities for testing, not using established local authority public health services to track and trace. 

They seem to be using quite a lot of private outsourcing. 

JudyJudyJudy
15 hours ago, steve123 said:

Of identified cases ? correct me if I am wrong but alot of people don't even know they have had it !!

Exactly therefore the death mortality rates are skewered. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Someone posted on here way back at the start of this, probably in January before this virus came to Scotland, that when it did it would devastate the population, and listed the high levels of obesity, poor diet, high levels of heart disease, lung disease etc etc, indeed I remember some doctors/scientists took to the media and expressed similar concerns that they feared that the UK would end up with Europe's biggest death toll from this, and it all seems to have come true.

Your right obsesity has been a feature in a relatively high percentage of deaths. I think around 33%.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Marvin said:

Im shocked at the NHS response to you.  Surely they could arrange a test at a local GP surgery for you???

Lone Striker
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think we tend to assume we would use everything we have. But it seems the Government made certain choices notably not to use certain lab facilities for testing, not using established local authority public health services to track and trace. 

I think you're right, MIkey - and these decisions to award big contracts to private companies is another controversial ball-game. How was the tendering for these contracts done in such a short timescale ?  Did the successful companies have any "links" to the politicians or the governing party etc ?   It could turn into something akin to the various Iraq war inquiries - initially denied  by the government, then permitted but with limited scope etc  By which time the anger will have subsided a fair bit, and the culprits will have retired.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He might not be able to afford to this. 

JudyJudyJudy

Great news today.  NO corona virus deaths yesterday in Scotland.   I await to doom merchants comments. 

Francis Albert
13 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The papers and other media  and this thread  have been full of publicity and criticism about breaches of lockdown rules on beaches and in rural scenic areas and parks.  I will be interested to see what criticism the Guardian for example levies at the BLM marchers tomorrow.

The Guardian (well Observer - same thing) proved all too predictable. Its main report made a passing reference to lockdown rules but there was no hint of criticism. It's headline "We have been at home for months while black people die … that's why we are here" as also a pretty gross distortion of what the person quoted said, about how isolation sharpened the issues. She actually said "People have been at home for several months hearing about people dying, and a disproportionate number of them have been black people". The headline distorts her words (in themselves perfectly reasonable and inoffensive) to suggest she was saying ONLY black lives matter.

The (admittedly very much minority) violence outside Downing Street merited just one sentence (buried in this report) about a  WPC being "apparently" knocked off her horse.

Nucky Thompson
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Great news today.  NO corona virus deaths yesterday in Scotland.   I await to doom merchants comments. 

And only 18 new positive cases.

NS said we could move into phase 2 quicker if the numbers backed it up.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Im shocked at the NHS response to you.  Surely they could arrange a test at a local GP surgery for you???

I asked that when I got my swab. The nurse agreed. I think it's easier for them to do the swab at the same location as my upcoming surgery. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The governments?

40 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just finishes off the excellent results we have had this week, I've been shocked and delighted at how fast the numbers are going down.  It's great news whatever way you look at it.

We will obviously need to keep an eye on it going forward but it's looking positive right now.

46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

:wow:

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

All the best, Marvin.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

:yas:

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

All the best, Marvin.

Back after a 40 mile round trip just for a nurse to stick a cotton bud up my nose.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic