Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

7 deaths in the last 24 hours, must be the lowest on a Tuesday since near the start? 21 in ICU just now aswell which is 3 lower than yesterday. 

Definite movement in the right direction. 

I hope it keeps going that way and we can see more easing in the next review 👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The husband of my wifes colleague husband is a doctor, he's had an antibody test yesterday that came back positive, he had no symptoms and had worked right through the pandemic in a geriatric ward, how many people could he have infected unintentionally???

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The husband of my wifes colleague husband is a doctor, he's had an antibody test yesterday that came back positive, he had no symptoms and had worked right through the pandemic in a geriatric ward, how many people could he have infected unintentionally???

How many people has he helped more like....! Ill re phrase that.  He clearly wore PPE so wouldnt be infectious. 

The Internet
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Definite movement in the right direction. 

I hope it keeps going that way and we can see more easing in the next review 👍

The promising thing is we had that flurry of activity when the weather was nice well over a week ago and it doesn't seem to have had any kind of adverse effect on the numbers.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hopefully none, but that's why this was taken so seriously. There will be so many people who became seriously ill after picking this up from someone who didn't even know they had it. 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

How many people has he helped more like....! Ill re phrase that.  He clearly wore PPE so wouldnt be infectious. 

I wasn't having a go at the Dr, he's pretty upsett, understandably, just pointing out what may happen.

19 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

7 deaths in the last 24 hours, must be the lowest on a Tuesday since near the start? 21 in ICU just now aswell which is 3 lower than yesterday. 

Yes, the lowest Tuesday figure since 24 March. 5 down from last Tuesday. Downwards trend still looking good.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-singapore-cases-asymptomatic-tests-symptoms-a9555706.html

Coronavirus: At least half of Singapore’s new cases are asymptomatic, government says

The city-state has increased testing in recent weeks as it attempts to contain its outbreak, having so far recorded more than 38,000 cases – one of the highest infection tallies in Asia.

Authorities have subsequently discovered that “for every symptomatic case you would have at least one asymptomatic case,” according to Lawrence Wong, the minister of national development and co-head of Singapore’s Covid-19 taskforce.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Yes, the lowest Tuesday figure since 24 March. 5 down from last Tuesday. Downwards trend still looking good.

Agreed

hopefully people will behave and continue to do what we are told 

2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Probably zero.

‘People with coronavirus but no symptoms infecting others is "very rare", a World Health Organization scientist has said.‘

Ron Burgundy

My friend took his elderly dad out for the first time since lockdown and the poor sod had a panic attack as soon as he got in the supermarket.

The effects on the elderly will probably be here for as long time after lockdown finishes.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

My friend took his elderly dad out for the first time since lockdown and the poor sod had a panic attack as soon as he got in the supermarket.

The effects on the elderly will probably be here for as long time after lockdown finishes.

Totally understandable.

This will happen quite a lot unfortunately.

I hope it doesn’t stop him going out again.

18 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Totally understandable.

This will happen quite a lot unfortunately.

I hope it doesn’t stop him going out again.

It is indeed. I'm kind of dreading my first trip back to the supermarket.

However, the reality is that it is less likely that I would catch coronavirus now than it was the last time I went to the supermarket (just before lockdown) when there was a lot of the infection around. Also, measures are now in place to make sure that transmission is minimised.

So, when it comes to the crunch, I'll be ok. What I might do though is go in for just a couple of items the first time in order to get myself back into the swing of things.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

However, the reality is that it is less likely that I would catch coronavirus now than it was the last time I went to the supermarket (just before lockdown) when there was a lot of the infection around. Also, measures are now in place to make sure that transmission is minimised.

So, when it comes to the crunch, I'll be ok. What I might do though is go in for just a couple of items the first time in order to get myself back into the swing of things.

It’s certainly a life changer.

My mother is 93 and I dread the day taking her out for the first time after it’s safe to do so.

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

I didn't go to any for the first few weeks and found it quite a shock going back to the shops. More that I was nervous about doing the wrong thing or not understanding the system. Getting used to it with a small shop is a very good idea.

A pint of milk from my local coop - a good idea, BD.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My mother is 93 and I dread the day taking her out for the first time after it’s safe to do so.

You might find she's fine. My elderly parents, with whom I live, have been notably less worried about the possibility of catching the virus than I have been dreading the possibility of catching it and transmitting it to them. :)

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You might find she's fine. My elderly parents, with whom I live, have been notably less worried about the possibility of catching the virus than I have been dreading the possibility of catching it and transmitting it to them. :)

Although quite frail she’s mentally quite strong so that should help hopefully.

JudyJudyJudy
41 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Good idea to start off by going for a couple items and getting out as soon as you can just in case you panic.  I have evolved from not going out to the shops for the first few weeks to going to them every other day ( with mask on).  It just takes time.  It also depends on which shops you go to.  Some are very good like my local Sainsbury, others not so good (Poundland at Lothian Road).  The Sainsbury at Murrayfield is ok. I went there yesterday around 4.  Also consider what time you want to go .  I have found around 11 am or thereabouts is a quiet time. Later on in the day isnt so good. But its generally a hit and miss.  

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Good idea to start off by going for a couple items and getting out as soon as you can just in case you panic.  I have evolved from not going out to the shops for the first few weeks to going to them every other day ( with mask on).  It just takes time.  It also depends on which shops you go to.  Some are very good like my local Sainsbury, others not so good (Poundland at Lothian Road).  The Sainsbury at Murrayfield is ok. I went there yesterday around 4.  Also consider what time you want to go .  I have found around 11 am or thereabouts is a quiet time. Later on in the day isnt so good. But its generally a hit and miss.  

:thumbsup:

The Internet
57 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I didn't go to any for the first few weeks and found it quite a shock going back to the shops. More that I was nervous about doing the wrong thing or not understanding the system. Getting used to it with a small shop is a very good idea.

I've been going to shops (supermarkets and local but mostly supermarkets) since this started and I'm still way more worried about making a wrong step and being seen to make some heinous social distancing error than I am about actually catching the thing, so British :lol:

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I've been going to shops (supermarkets and local but mostly supermarkets) since this started and I'm still way more worried about making a wrong step and being seen to make some heinous social distancing error than I am about actually catching the thing, so British :lol:

Me too , mostly everyone is “terribly polite” about it all lol apart from the joggers and cyclists ! But I’ll no go down that road Again ( pardon the pun) 😂

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Me too , mostly everyone is “terribly polite” about it all lol apart from the joggers and cyclists ! But I’ll no go down that road Again ( pardon the pun) 😂

:smile: I hate them too, James. I'm quite a fast walker so no-one overtakes me, and I can see what's coming to avoid getting too close to anyone, but I hate it when joggers or cyclists come up behind me when I'm unawares, especially if they say something to me just as they pass. I've even had to take to looking behind me every few minutes like some paranoid bugger just to check that no-one's cycling or running up behind me. They should put cow bells on the bar stewards. :biggrin2:

The Corn Exchange are planning to have a massive outdoor beer garden in their car park with social distancing. Mini golf, darts etc with stuff sanitised between use.

I think it'll start well but with folk get pished all social distancing efforts will go out the window.

3 minutes ago, kila said:

The Corn Exchange are planning to have a massive outdoor beer garden in their car park with social distancing. Mini golf, darts etc with stuff sanitised between use.

I think it'll start well but with folk get pished all social distancing efforts will go out the window.

they're going to give drunk people golf clubs? that wont end badly

JudyJudyJudy
24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:smile: I hate them too, James. I'm quite a fast walker so no-one overtakes me, and I can see what's coming to avoid getting too close to anyone, but I hate it when joggers or cyclists come up behind me when I'm unawares, especially if they say something to me just as they pass. I've even had to take to looking behind me every few minutes like some paranoid bugger just to check that no-one's cycling or running up behind me. They should put cow bells on the bar stewards. :biggrin2:

😂😂 yes they are definitely annoying and  inconsiderate . Couple joggers were even on pavements yesterday so I had to dodge them and go on to the road  to avoid them . There really need to be some guidance from the Govt surely about this ? Or am I taking it too far ? 

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, kila said:

Yeah I’ve said that for ages too regarding drunk people and social distancing and  what about Using the loo as well ? 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

😂😂 yes they are definitely annoying and  inconsiderate . Couple joggers were even on pavements yesterday so I had to dodge them and go on to the road  to avoid them . There really need to be some guidance from the Govt surely about this ? Or am I taking it too far ? 

What could the Govt do? The only thing that I can think of is that you should be allowed to carry a 1.5 metre long pole and swing it around you when someone gets too close. One of those in the spokes of a passing bicycle would do the trick. :wink:

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

There’s going to be a lot of this and people with crazy OCD. Thats a real shame for the old geezer. People have had the shite scared out of them. 
I hope they speed things up tbh. We need to get on with this now. There’s going to be devastation in the economy, kids education etc.  Listening to the education unions in the radio today with just with no idea how they do this. This is going to cut so deep if we don’t find a vaccine or a will to get on with this. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What could the Govt do? The only thing that I can think of is that you should be allowed to carry a 1.5 metre long pole and swing it around you when someone gets too close. One of those in the spokes of a passing bicycle would do the trick. :wink:

Nothing legal but perhaps some public information ads to ask cyclists and joggers to be considerate when they may jog / cycle close to people. In my experience some seem just selfish clarts at times

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Nothing legal but perhaps some public information ads to ask cyclists and joggers to be considerate when they may jog / cycle close to people. In my experience some seem just selfish clarts at times

Seems more responsible than my idea. :thumbsup:

JudyJudyJudy

Seems more responsible than my idea. :thumbsup:

I think your idea would be more effective ! 

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just don't take her anywhere indoors, like a supermarket for instance.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Just don't take her anywhere indoors, like a supermarket for instance.

Probably the best thing to do.

OmiyaHearts

Man, I cringe when I look at some of my early posts on this thread. I'm a complete tit.

15 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Man, I cringe when I look at some of my early posts on this thread. I'm a complete tit.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Omiya, You're not a *complete* tit. :wink:

What were you saying earlier in the thread, out of interest? None of us really knew what we were up against back then.

OmiyaHearts

Don't be so hard on yourself, Omiya, You're not a *complete* tit. :wink:

What were you saying earlier in the thread, out of interest? None of us really knew what we were up against back then.

Haha thanks!

I was very relaxed about the whole thing and highly critical or having a go at people who were taking it serious. I just didn't expect things like this to happen in 'modern' life.

I'll put my hands up and apologise to anyone that I had a go at.

2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Haha thanks!

I was very relaxed about the whole thing and highly critical or having a go at people who were taking it serious. I just didn't expect things like this to happen in 'modern' life.

You weren't the only one, it took a lot more by surprise if they cared ti admit it.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I got told to 'move' by a jogger on the barriered pavement below the rail bridge at Cameron Toll roundabout as he ran past me.

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You weren't the only one, it took a lot more by surprise if they cared ti admit it.

Indeed. Hopefully we'll be much better prepared the next time. I wouldn't bank on it though. :wink:

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. Hopefully we'll be much better prepared the next time. I wouldn't bank on it though. :wink:

Sould be in a few weeks time😓

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

In my experience the vast majority of cyclists and joggers have been incredibly considerate. 

It's great to see so many folk out running and keeping fit these days. Hopefully most of them will keep it up.

16 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Haha thanks!

I've just read the first few pages of the thread. With few exceptions, we just had no idea what was to come. The thing that it brings home though is that as a country we knew there was a potential problem long before we went into lockdown.

And, to your credit, when you said "I reckon it'll be just about done with come the end of March and everything will be back to normal.", you didn't actually say which year. :wink:

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I got told to 'move' by a jogger on the barriered pavement below the rail bridge at Cameron Toll roundabout as he ran past me.

Should've clotheslined the whanker.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

In my experience the vast majority of cyclists and joggers have been incredibly considerate. 

It's great to see so many folk out running and keeping fit these days. Hopefully most of them will keep it up.

Cyclist and jogger, nap.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Sould be in a few weeks time😓

Thanks to these protesters. 

:P

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Thanks to these protesters. 

:P

Eh?.......what protesters?!

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Cyclist and jogger, nap.

Jogger. A courteous one.

Used to hate it with a passion but I've found that it's one of the few things that brings my hereditary hypertension under some form of control.

Can't stand bike wankers, especially on the canal tow path or out in the Pentland Hills, but each to their own. 🤷‍♂️

Do The Dance
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Even on the pavements!? No way! :lol: 

Is it not just as easy for you to walk on road as it is for someone to run on the road? I both walk and run outside, I tend to be the one that will go on the road over others, unless I’m with my kids.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Jogger. A courteous one.

Used to hate it with a passion but I've found that it's one of the few things that brings my hereditary hypertension under some form of control.

Can't stand bike wankers, especially on the canal tow path or out in the Pentland Hills, but each to their own. 🤷‍♂️

I need to get out jogging again myself. It does give me a lot of energy. I stopped when the crisis started as I thought it would be difficult avoiding people if I was out running and also I didn't want to injure myself and have to go to the doctors (I'd been having hamstring issues before) - I know, stupid, but I just adopted a bunker attitude.

Anyway, it gives me great pleasure to say, Governor, Jog On! :biggrin2:

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Even on the pavements!? No way! :lol: 

Is it not just as easy for you to walk on road as it is for someone to run on the road? I both walk and run outside, I tend to be the one that will go on the road over others, unless I’m with my kids.

Well it all depend on the situation. I don’t fancy getting run over though 

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Anyway, it gives me great pleasure to say, Governor, Jog On! :biggrin2:

:seething:

:lol:

Get back out there, red.

Folk of our vintage need to look after themselves.👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic