• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

I hate to repeat myself but Bojo is a bumbling fool.

Not watched the clown for ages so nothing has changed then.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Not watched the clown for ages so nothing has changed then.

Oh there's been a change.

Unbelievably he's got worse.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Very nice .  And your not too far from mother countries too if U fancy a drive or train to them . I travelled by train from Paris to Lyon - Cannes - Milan -Rome - Naples and Sorrento - Capri . It was a memorable train journey 

What a great  trip that sounds.

From your list, I’ve never been to Lyon, Sorrento or Capri, but loved the rest, although found Naples a wee bit dodgy.

49 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Things look promising and this thread has gone a bit quiet.

Where are the grim reapers with their negative posts?

On the George Floyd thread.  

:wink: 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Could the virus be disappearing?

Great stuff, that looks really hopeful and positive.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Oh there's been a change.

Unbelievably he's got worse.

Thanks for the warning.

30 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

R rate still just below 1 which is not down far enough for me to drop my guard.

Sorry for the negativity. 🙏

Still got to be careful of course but can be careful and positive.

Brighton Jambo

Good to see the scientists back today.  I always feel more reassured when they are talking.

they were very sober and realistic in their analysis of the data making it clear that things are improving but not fast and there is still significant risk.  Good to hear that caution from them.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The numbers are very good, it will still be a few weeks yet until we reach zero due to the nature.

I do struggle with why we are still having this level of lockdown for the current position we are in. I think the lockdown has ‘unofficially’ ended for a lot of people. I cant help but feel we are doing more damage than good right now due to keeping the economy closed and Issues that sections of society face with lockdown. 

I note the UK is predicted to the have the largest contraction of economy of any developed country, as a result of this. I am concerned the mpact will be greater in Scotland for a variety of reasons. The longer you keep things closed the harder it will be to re-open. Also potential business loose out,  as business in other countries have a head start in the ‘new normal’

Time will tell, I suppose.

Fair comment. 

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

The numbers are very good, it will still be a few weeks yet until we reach zero due to the nature.

I do struggle with why we are still having this level of lockdown for the current position we are in. I think the lockdown has ‘unofficially’ ended for a lot of people. I cant help but feel we are doing more damage than good right now due to keeping the economy closed and Issues that sections of society face with lockdown. 

I note the UK is predicted to the have the largest contraction of economy of any developed country, as a result of this. I am concerned the mpact will be greater in Scotland for a variety of reasons. The longer you keep things closed the harder it will be to re-open. Also potential business loose out,  as business in other countries have a head start in the ‘new normal’

Time will tell, I suppose.

Also the 2m rule is going to be critical in this.

It is also an example of why I am glad I’m not making the decisions.

if you reduce it to say 1/1.5m you can point to other countries and WHO advice as the justification but you will be accused of putting economy before health.

if you maintain the 2m which is at the cautious end of the scale you will reduce risk of infection but some bars, restaurants etc may never be able to reopen with those restrictions causing untold damage to economy and people’s livelihoods.  

they will be hammered if they do and hammered if they don’t!  Rather them than me.  

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Also the 2m rule is going to be critical in this.

It is also an example of why I am glad I’m not making the decisions.

if you reduce it to say 1/1.5m you can point to other countries and WHO advice as the justification but you will be accused of putting economy before health.

if you maintain the 2m which is at the cautious end of the scale you will reduce risk of infection but some bars, restaurants etc may never be able to reopen with those restrictions causing untold damage to economy and people’s livelihoods.  

they will be hammered if they do and hammered if they don’t!  Rather them than me.  

Boris was hinting again at PMQs that the 2m rule will be changing shortly.

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Boris was hinting again at PMQs that the 2m rule will be changing shortly.

I missed much of it but I’m not surprised.  You can’t open the majority of bars, cafes, restaurants etc if you keep two metres apart.  Many have said they just won’t bother reopening.  I think he will try and hold off till end of this month to try and get numbers down then will change it.  

im not sure how I feel.  I would rather keep the 2m but if the majority of other countries are doing less and WHO recommends less than I guess it’s okay.

i think wherever possible most people will stick to 2m wherever they can anyway as it’s pretty ingrained now.  For example I can’t see all the shops suddenly redoing their floor markings to less than 2m.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Also being cautious is not being negative @Dannie Boy

👍 

We are still not out of the woods yet. I’m more optimistic by the day though as long as we are heading in the right direction.

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, Morgan said:

What a great  trip that sounds.

From your list, I’ve never been to Lyon, Sorrento or Capri, but loved the rest, although found Naples a wee bit dodgy.

Yeah it was. I love any type of train journey but this was very special.  The views were breathtaking. Yes we only stayed in Naples for a night and made our way to Sorrento.  Naples was a bit rough ! Ive also travelling from Rome to Florence by train.  Again some incredible views of Tuscany.

50 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

My man Whitty has just said in today's briefing that we need to prepare for winter in terms of handling the virus.  He said that it will be worse if we are indoors more and we may need to look at ways of keeping people apart, indoors to me sounds like sports stadiums could be included in that thinking.  Sounds like it is a heads up that we might not be watching live football until next spring. Surely we cannot sustain that because clubs will go the wall by the bucket full right across the UK.

To me this is the first time I have heard folk saying live that we need to ease lockdown in a briefing and then at the same briefing state that time winter will be a problem and more lockdown measures may be needed.

It sounds like we may have a lull and then off we go again with more painful measures.  Not being negative just picking up what has just been said.  Hopefully I am getting the message wrong.

Your man Whitty is a slaver, compliant folk have been cooped up 8 weeks since the start, why hasn't it been worse in that period just past?

I would hope the governments of the UK are preparing for a big second wave to hit in winter.

If it doesn't happen, great!

We're finally seeing a sustained drop in all the metrics that count, but it's still fragile.

It can easily get much worse again if everything goes right back to normal too quickly.

Businesses needed this extra time to get social distancing measures put in place so they can reopen safely.

Things are looking cautiously optimistic but it still relies on the general public behaving responsibly and not throwing away all the progress made during lockdown.

The Real Maroonblood
45 minutes ago, kila said:

I would hope the governments of the UK are preparing for a big second wave to hit in winter.

If it doesn't happen, great!

:sterb147:

Neighbours on both sides to me have had it and just come out of isolation, they’re the only 5 people I know who’ve had it, I work with 36 blokes and none of us have had, but like I’ve said before I think we had it In December last year, but obviously we can’t prove it. 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Neighbours on both sides to me have had it and just come out of isolation, they’re the only 5 people I know who’ve had it, I work with 36 blokes and none of us have had, but like I’ve said before I think we had it In December last year, but obviously we can’t prove it. 

There have been a few people who have said similar things about being unwell in December.

11 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

You need to find the common factor to find the source - do these neighbours have a common neighbour for example? ;)

14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

There have been a few people who have said similar things about being unwell in December.

Including us.

Came back from Barcelona on the 20th of December and by Christmas had at least two of the symptoms we now know about.

Obviously, at that time, we had no idea so therefore thought it was a mild flu.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Including us.

Came back from Barcelona on the 20th of December and by Christmas had at least two of the symptoms we now know about.

Mrs TRM was similar.

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Mrs TRM was similar.

I take it she’s good now?

magic roundabout
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Including us.

I was reading another forum with someone looking at possible early catchers of the corona virus . They quoted this one. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50513545

Naturally maybe unrelated but if not shows another virus with similar symptoms. 

2 minutes ago, magic roundabout said:

I was reading another forum with someone looking at possible early catchers of the corona virus . They quoted this one. 

That’s very interesting.

Thanks so much for posting that link.

We recall that we were in a shop in Barcelona on the 17th of December, there was some vile character behind us in the queue coughing constantly (without covering his mouth) for 10 or 15 minutes.

Never really thought too much about it until about mid-March, then it sort of clicked with us what it may have been.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, magic roundabout said:

I remember that story.

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

She’s fine mate.

Thanks.

Delighted to hear that, TRM.

We’ll get that pint that you are ‘choking on’ together, one day!

Cheers.

41 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

At work three people in space of 9 days ended up in hospital with suspected pneumonia, i did 8 days in bed feeling the worst I’ve ever felt, it was late January before I felt back to normal. 

1 minute ago, NlGHTMARE said:

At work three people in space of 9 days ended up in hospital with suspected pneumonia, i did 8 days in bed feeling the worst I’ve ever felt, it was late January before I felt back to normal. 

Bad coughing?  Sweating?

Sounds so familiar.

It was horrible.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Good you’re keeping well now.

21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Bad coughing?  Sweating?

Sounds so familiar.

It was horrible.

I was the same around mid December. I'm not normally one to be put out of action but I was in terrible shape. Coughing, sweating, weak and in a bit of a daze and completely breathless when doing anything remotely strenuous.

Could have been anything though I guess. Would be fascinating to get an antibody test.

Edited by Taffin

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I was the same around mid December. I'm not normally one to be put out of action but I was in terrible shape. Coughing, sweating, weak and in a bit of a daze and completely breathless when doing anything remotely strenuous.

Could have been anything though I guess. Would be fascinating to get an antibody test.

Getting a test would be interesting.

Can you ask for one?

Adam Murray

My missus and two teenage daughters were all bed ridden for about a week in January, with what we thought was the flu.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Can you ask for one?

No idea, I've lost track a bit of what the score is with the antibody tests.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

No idea, I've lost track a bit of what the score is with the antibody tests.

Same here.

23 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Can you ask for one?

You can get one from Superdrug but it will set you back £69: https://news.stv.tv/scotland/coronavirus-antibody-test-now-available-from-superdrug?top

EDIT *** - Superdrug have suspended these tests: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/27/uk-health-regulator-calls-halt-sales-unreliable-covid-19-finger/

England are rolling out tests to (initially) NHS, care staff, eligible hospital patients and care home residents. https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/pharmacy-teams-england-eligible-covid-19-antibody-tests

The latest Scottish news I could find is this: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bosses-plea-over-fears-scotland-22076582

The NHSInform site in Scotland states: https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19/test-and-protect/coronavirus-covid-19-testing

Antibody tests

Antibody tests are not being used for public testing in Scotland.

Antibody tests can show if you have had the virus, but a positive test does not mean you are immune from further infection.

At the moment, we do not know how long antibody tests will remain positive after an episode of infection.

Edited by redjambo

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Can you ask for one?

Testing positive wouldn't confirm you had it back in December, you might have had it in March and been asymptomatic.

You = anybody.

joondalupjambo
11 hours ago, OBE said:

Your man Whitty is a slaver, compliant folk have been cooped up 8 weeks since the start, why hasn't it been worse in that period just past?

I think he was simply waving the alert flag to Government, and making sure it is heard on national TV.  It sounded to me like the scientists are recommending planning for the winter takes place now, if nothing is needed great but we do not want to be having to make decisions on the hoof at critical times.  I kind of thought it was the right thing to get out there because it holds the politicians to account in terms of are you prepared or not for what could be a big problem.  

I get the sense at the moment that politicians thinking is we beat this now, control it and we will never have to take such severe actions again.  I could be wrong of course and hopefully we do never have this level of lock down ever again because it has been tough, too tough for a lot of folk.

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I think he was simply waving the alert flag to Government, and making sure it is heard on national TV.  It sounded to me like the scientists are recommending planning for the winter takes place now, if nothing is needed great but we do not want to be having to make decisions on the hoof at critical times.  I kind of thought it was the right thing to get out there because it holds the politicians to account in terms of are you prepared or not for what could be a big problem.  

I get the sense at the moment that politicians thinking is we beat this now, control it and we will never have to take such severe actions again.  I could be wrong of course and hopefully we do never have this level of lock down ever again because it has been tough, too tough for a lot of folk.

These TV briefings are choreograghed to a certain extent. Understandably, the media questions will be redirected from the middle lectern to a predetermined colleaque best qualified to answer. You would think prior to the tv broadcast these professionals would run their theories past their secretaries or small test audience. This would gauge if what they're delivering makes sense and doe's not create confusion.

Sorry if I came across a bit blunt earlier, I now see where you're coming from...:thumbsup:

joondalupjambo
32 minutes ago, OBE said:

These TV briefings are choreograghed to a certain extent. Understandably, the media questions will be redirected from the middle lectern to a predetermined colleaque best qualified to answer. You would think prior to the tv broadcast these professionals would run their theories past their secretaries or small test audience. This would gauge if what they're delivering makes sense and doe's not create confusion.

Sorry if I came across a bit blunt earlier, I now see where you're coming from...:thumbsup:

No bother, all good as these threads are sometimes hard to decypher😃

Your spot in totally set up in terms of you say that, I say this but for heaven's sake do not say that.  Sometimes though a wee gem or two is thrown in and can easily be missed or misinterpreted.  I have had the feeling for ages that both Whitty and Vallance feel as though when the shooting starts they, not the politicians will be in the firing line😃

Enzo Chiefo
14 hours ago, Morgan said:

That’s very interesting.

Thanks so much for posting that link.

We recall that we were in a shop in Barcelona on the 17th of December, there was some vile character behind us in the queue coughing constantly (without covering his mouth) for 10 or 15 minutes.

Never really thought too much about it until about mid-March, then it sort of clicked with us what it may have been.

That's disgusting and makes you wonder if those who cough and sneeze ,without covering their mouth, are aware of it or simply just don't give a s**t. How apt in his case, that the Spanish verb "to cough" is toser.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's disgusting and makes you wonder if those who cough and sneeze ,without covering their mouth, are aware of it or simply just don't give a s**t. How apt in his case, that the Spanish verb "to cough" is toser.

It’s happened a few times when folk have jumped in my taxi. I don't know if you've seen Friends. My impersonation of Chandler when someone does something stupid is becoming uncanny. :D

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic