Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

highlandjambo3
28 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It doesn't need to be permanent, but if gets things opened up quicker and football with fans back quicker etc etc, the only not normal thing will be masks, that is better then what we have just now.

Masks will be part of the new normal 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If I want to put other people at risk that's my right!!!

:seething: 

Correct.

22 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You will find them on Amazon. Just checked and they are still in stock. The ones with the filter paper. Easy to find when you search for Face Masks. A few colours.

👍

frankblack
21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Why does wearing a face mask help now, but didn't 2 months ago? 

Because the government didn't want to tell people to wear it two months ago when it didn't have the PPE and might experience bigger difficulties getting it if everyone was trying to acquire masks.

Edited by frankblack

highlandjambo3
36 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m not convinced. We all going to wear masks on transport but not in bars? Or restaurants? But then put them back on for the football?

They’ve instilled a deadly fear into some of the population now. This won’t be easily rolled back now. At some point we have to get on with this in the knowledge there might never be a vaccine. 

It’s strange times ahead but, the on/off mask thing will be a part of normal for the foreseeable future.  

Your examples:

1.  Going to a football match by bus and you cannot be more than 2m away due to entering/exit bus or passing already seated passengers = mask on, get to your seat and observe 2m distancing = mask off.  Heading towards the ground entrance with lots of others = mask on, getting to your seat and observe 2m distancing = mask off.

2.  Restaurant/bar, going in to a pre booked table = mask on, observe 2m distancing in your parties booth with Perspex screen = *mask off.  Not sure about going to the bar, I think electronic ordering from tables will be the new normal and, your food/drinks will be placed on an empty table close to you for you to collect when the staff have withdrawn far enough........something like that will be the way ahead.

* Of course you can always choose to just keep the mask on all the time but, not sure how you will eat your chips 😁

NOTE:  masks, gloves, visors, hand gel, gowns and rubber boots WILL be compulsory for all vermin visits.   FTH 

Edited by highlandjambo3

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I was under the impression (from the experts) that the wearing of a mask was to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus unknowingly to others but, you believe it’s the other way around, it protects the wearer?  You have evidence to back this up?

Experts? Plausibly, how could a mask stop virus getting out but not coming in?? The "experts" don't want you to buy a medical grade mask so they try to talk down the benefits of them. They also don't protect you if you rub your eyes so they don't want you to be complacent.  There have never been randomised controlled trials with masks but, neither have there been effectiveness trials with parachutes. Hard to find a placebo parachute right enough😄. We may not have "evidence" for it but can assume that masks are effective in protectinh the wearer.

"it's my right not to wear a crash helmet"

"It's my right not to wear a seat belt"

"It's my right not to wear steel toe boots at work"

"It's my right not to wear a face mask"

:bigyawn:

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

It’s strange times ahead but, the on/off mask thing will be a part of normal for the foreseeable future.  

Your examples:

1.  Going to a football match by bus and you cannot be more than 2m away due to entering/exit bus or passing already seated passengers = mask on, get to your seat and observe 2m distancing = mask off.  Heading towards the ground entrance with lots of others = mask on, getting to your seat and observe 2m distancing = mask off.

2.  Restaurant/bar, going in to a pre booked table = mask on, observe 2m distancing in your parties booth with Perspex screen = *mask off.  Not sure about going to the bar, I think electronic ordering from tables will be the new normal and, your food/drinks will be placed on an empty table close to you for you to collect when the staff have withdrawn far enough........something like that will be the way ahead.

* Of course you can always choose to just keep the mask on all the time but, not sure how you will eat your chips 😁

NOTE:  masks, gloves, visors, hand gel, gowns and rubber boots WILL be compulsory for all vermin visits.   FTH 

That sounds thoroughly depressing 😕

15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Because the government didn't want to tell people to wear it two months ago when it didn't have the PPE and might experience bigger difficulties getting it if everyone was trying to acquire masks.

And the WHO and Cade's reasoning? Both also said they didn't help.

They're also saying a face covering will suffice (I think?), there was no reason not to do that 2 months ago regarding shortages.

I've got one my mum made me and posted. I quite like it, it's all black and I look more like a rioter/gang member than anything else in it 😂😂

scottish_chicP
44 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need more masks imo.

I bought 5 cotton ones from Amazon so I can wash them after each wear (I WFH so would only be for the shops). 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Just fills me with dread this scared way of living. Trying to make it a normality. 
The world will be messed man. 

I know how you feel but you shouldn't worry. It will be a temporary decision made in difficult times, a bit like rationing and blackouts during the war. We're a very adaptable race and, with few exceptions, we'll be able to adjust back to normality when it returns.

highlandjambo3
11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Experts? Plausibly, how could a mask stop virus getting out but not coming in?? The "experts" don't want you to buy a medical grade mask so they try to talk down the benefits of them. They also don't protect you if you rub your eyes so they don't want you to be complacent.  There have never been randomised controlled trials with masks but, neither have there been effectiveness trials with parachutes. Hard to find a placebo parachute right enough😄. We may not have "evidence" for it but can assume that masks are effective in protectinh the wearer.

Assume? Aye that’s the way.
Ass u me 

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There was a scientist on BBC over 4 wks ago, explaining trials ( in the US if I'm not mistaken) into mask wearing had been effective in controlling spread ( of other viruses iirc)

There's also scientists I've heard, explaining  droplet size as it leaves your mouth is the determining factor showing why masks are effective at preventing spread, but fairly useless as a defence.

Just because you haven't seen evidence, doesn't mean it's ok to assume, and it doesn't exist. 

highlandjambo3
13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That sounds thoroughly depressing 😕

It does, the new new is looming.

56 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I had planned on doing private tours of the highlands this year (obviously on hold now).  I have a Volvo V90 fairly big car and, everyone will be wearing a mask, I’ll only take 2 clients with no one in the front passenger seat.  I’m a bit optimistic it will work out as I believe that large groups of people in buses won’t start up any time soon (if ever).  I believe tourists will want to know what protection measures will be in place for their safety before they commit.

👍 Hope it works out for you, bud. Initiative! 

Are people in countries that use masks more depressed, than countries who don't? 

Seem cheery enough to me. 

Enzo Chiefo
19 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Assume? Aye that’s the way.
Ass u me 

I am also assuming that parachutes are beneficial to those jumping out of planes. No doubt scientists will remain unconvinced until they have "evidence". Trust "the science" at your peril

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:lol:

:D

What are you basing this on?

Twitter, they'll often have the union jack or Confederate flag in their profile.

As @Taffin mentioned, there's now the Kafkaesque situation in some European countries that a niqab wearer can be fined if they don't remove their niqab, and fined if they do.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/19/style/face-mask-burqa-ban.amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwiw1ZPj3urpAhXQOcAKHYhgBOsQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw27ctRhaYIRma9nQKx5Jn2L&ampcf=1

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I know how you feel but you shouldn't worry. It will be a temporary decision made in difficult times, a bit like rationing and blackouts during the war. We're a very adaptable race and, with few exceptions, we'll be able to adjust back to normality when it returns.

I hope so man.
I’ve been listening to LBC there and they had a scientist guy on who says it’s here to stay now. Other than a vaccine or it just wearing itself out this mask wearing everybody afraid of each other is also here to stay. 
🙁

Two months ago we were not supposed to be going out very much at all so facemasks were not as important..

Now that lockdown is being eased and we'll be mingling more, we're being told to wear facemasks to lower the risk of transmission.

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I am also assuming that parachutes are beneficial to those jumping out of planes. No doubt scientists will remain unconvinced until they have "evidence". Trust "the science" at your peril

I will always trust science over the ramblings of the mad few conspiracy theorists:

Flat earth - no

Area 51 - no

Elvis in Tesco - well, not so sure about that one 😁

Enzo Chiefo
23 minutes ago, felix said:

There was a scientist on BBC over 4 wks ago, explaining trials ( in the US if I'm not mistaken) into mask wearing had been effective in controlling spread ( of other viruses iirc)

There's also scientists I've heard, explaining  droplet size as it leaves your mouth is the determining factor showing why masks are effective at preventing spread, but fairly useless as a defence.

Just because you haven't seen evidence, doesn't mean it's ok to assume, and it doesn't exist. 

And there was a recent report in China indicating that wearing a mask reduces your chance of catching this virus by up to 80%. But it really is common sense though, we know how air flow works, and we know that masks are a barrier to droplets whichever way they are travelling. It's disingenuous for politicians to pretend that they don't benefit the wearer when they categorically do. Why do medical staff wear them then? Is it to protect the Covid patient from them?? We need translators at the daily briefings to convert political speech into common sense. Masks won't protect you if you rub your eyes in the supermarket or touch your mouth when you take them off ....we know that and they don't want us lulled into a false sense of security. But in terms of inhaling the virus they absolutely offer far more protection than not wearing one.

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I will always trust science over the ramblings of the mad few conspiracy theorists:

Flat earth - no

Area 51 - no

Elvis in Tesco - well, not so sure about that one 😁

There's a guy works down the chip shop...😂

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Twitter, they'll often have the union jack or Confederate flag in their profile.

Cheers. 👍

I don't do twitter.

manaliveits105

How are the loud mouth drunk choir masters going to know who to turn to and  scream sing at if we've all got masks on ?.

:kirk:

highlandjambo3
11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And there was a recent report in China indicating that wearing a mask reduces your chance of catching this virus by up to 80%. But it really is common sense though, we know how air flow works, and we know that masks are a barrier to droplets whichever way they are travelling. It's disingenuous for politicians to pretend that they don't benefit the wearer when they categorically do. Why do medical staff wear them then? Is it to protect the Covid patient from them?? We need translators at the daily briefings to convert political speech into common sense. Masks won't protect you if you rub your eyes in the supermarket or touch your mouth when you take them off ....we know that and they don't want us lulled into a false sense of security. But in terms of inhaling the virus they absolutely offer far more protection than not wearing one.

23 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Simple question..... are you trusting the scientific reports or not?  You appear to be tying yourself up here.

26 minutes ago, Cade said:

Two months ago we were not supposed to be going out very much at all so facemasks were not as important..

Now that lockdown is being eased and we'll be mingling more, we're being told to wear facemasks to lower the risk of transmission.

Also, 2 months ago, face masks and other PPE were like Hobby Horses shite.

Edited by OBE

26 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Are you sure it isn’t if everyone wears a mask the transmission rate could drop 80%... 

Masks won’t stop COVID coming in! It’ll limit your breath trajectory going out though and if everyone does that... 

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Aye the most alarming thing has been the fact people have had to be told to wash their hands. 
Tramps. 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m more concerned about the levels of fear that people are developing for basic interactions. 
It’s unnerving me. I’m afraid this will become almost normal, everyone terrified of anyone coughing or anything. When do we stop? What if this it now? Once you install that fear it’s going to be a huge job dismantling it if that’s even possible now. 

The direction of travel on  all this bothers me. Masks, gloves, tracking apps etc.

There's people literally climbing over walls to avoid other people on a footpath. Whilst there's no question that this virus is contageous and can have a lethal impact on certain sections of the population some of the actions of people just now are way over the top.

Masks will become an accepted/expected norm and you'll either be tutted at for not wearing one or you'll be refused entry or service. Same for the gloves.

If you want to wear a mask or feel you'll get some protection from wearing something which is most likely not fit for purpose, then horse on. Its not for me.

I'm looked at like a leper at the minute because i'm absolutely destroyed by hay fever. That's great fun when you're in the shops.

jack D and coke
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

The direction of travel on  all this bothers me. Masks, gloves, tracking apps etc.

There's people literally climbing over walls to avoid other people on a footpath. Whilst there's no question that this virus is contageous and can have a lethal impact on certain sections of the population some of the actions of people just now are way over the top.

Masks will become an accepted/expected norm and you'll either be tutted at for not wearing one or you'll be refused entry or service. Same for the gloves.

If you want to wear a mask or feel you'll get some protection from wearing something which is most likely not fit for purpose, then horse on. Its not for me.

I'm looked at like a leper at the minute because i'm absolutely destroyed by hay fever. That's great fun when you're in the shops.

I’m the same. If someone wants to spend the rest of their life in the house avoiding people or wearing a Chernobyl style bio-suit for going out then crack on👍🏼
Another good point is the hay fever, people will literally shit bricks if you’re sneezing and coughing now. The world can’t function with all this fear. I know there will be some people probably delighted if there is another spike so they can throw loads of blame around again but that’s not for me either. I know how frustrating this is and I don’t blame people for breaking some of the lockdown I’ve been guilty myself. 
I was cracking up. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m the same. If someone wants to spend the rest of their life in the house avoiding people or wearing a Chernobyl style bio-suit for going out then crack on👍🏼
Another good point is the hay fever, people will literally shit bricks if you’re sneezing and coughing now. The world can’t function with all this fear. I know there will be some people probably delighted if there is another spike so they can throw loads of blame around again but that’s not for me either. I know how frustrating this is and I don’t blame people for breaking some of the lockdown I’ve been guilty myself. 
I was cracking up. 

Hayfever is the worst its been for me for about 20 years. I was walking the dog this morning and took a sneezing fit, the old bird about 100 yards in front of me almost broke into a full sprint. 

Like I said a few weeks ago, I was 100% behind the lockdown and the principles of it all but what we are seeing now is a split of the population into groups, people that are shitting bricks about going outside or near others, people taking reasonable precautions and exercising good hygiene habits and folk that don't give a hoot with many other groups in between.

I'll stick to keeping my distance and keep washing my hands regularly. Masks, gloves, apps, wiping your Tesco shopping with bleach? Aye good luck to you.

Enzo Chiefo
36 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Simple question..... are you trusting the scientific reports or not?  You appear to be tying yourself up here.

In this case, common sense trumps any science. I'm pointing out that there has been a report but I'm not basing my opinion on it. There haven't been effectiveness trials on masks but we're capable of forming opinions on this issue without the need for science.  My main point is that politicians are being disingenuous in order to manipulate human behaviour 

If asymptomatics wear a mask reducing transmission on a plane, train, tram or bus, this will benefit the unsuspecting punters around them. 

Enzo Chiefo
27 minutes ago, kila said:

Are you sure it isn’t if everyone wears a mask the transmission rate could drop 80%... 

Masks won’t stop COVID coming in! It’ll limit your breath trajectory going out though and if everyone does that... 

Yes, it probably is Kila, I'm not sure.  But again there are different ways of catching it so wearing a mask won't stop transmissions from surface to eyes for example so is it 80% of inhalations or 80% of the total. But you see videos of sneezes travelling 8m indoirs then you are told 2m is a safe distance. So there is a lot of nonsense spouted from scientists too....most of whom disagree with each other.  But for me there is no doubt, a mask will reduce particles coming in or out. Otherwise, why do doctors wear them??

26 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The majority know masks don't offer much protection but, are aware that they do reduce transmission.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I hope so man.
I’ve been listening to LBC there and they had a scientist guy on who says it’s here to stay now. Other than a vaccine or it just wearing itself out this mask wearing everybody afraid of each other is also here to stay. 
🙁

If your best years are behind you all is not that bad.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

48 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The masks the public are being asked to wear are non surgical ; mainly cloth. Offering no more protection to yourself than not wearing one. Just others.

Masks for workers at some risk are type IIR (surgical)  - will not stop droplet inhalation.

Workers in high risk areas should wear type FF3 masks, which give them max protection.

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If your best years are behind you all is not that bad.

My best ones defo are :lol: 

Wrong side of 45 now😕

JudyJudyJudy

Just had a decent social distancing walk with my sister I havent seen for  a month.  It was great.  Then i went to Poundland In Lothian Road...absolutely no social distancing in place in here.  People up and down aisles, hardly any masks on. I had mine on and zig zagged to avoid them.  I walk along Fountainpark and see a woman and a guy , and not to be too judgemental but she looked like she was on drugs...and ofcourse she bloody coughs without even covering her mouth.  I wasn't too near her but as I was walking passed her . Ignorant ^^^^ 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My best ones defo are :lol: 

Wrong side of 45 now😕

You’re just a youth compared to me.

jack D and coke
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’re just a youth compared to me.

Well I certainly act like one☺️

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just had a decent social distancing walk with my sister I havent seen for  a month.  It was great.  Then i went to Poundland In Lothian Road...absolutely no social distancing in place in here.  People up and down aisles, hardly any masks on. I had mine on and zig zagged to avoid them.  I walk along Fountainpark and see a woman and a guy , and not to be too judgemental but she looked like she was on drugs...and ofcourse she bloody coughs without even covering her mouth.  I wasn't too near her but as I was walking passed her . Ignorant ^^^^ 

True about Poundland....  Once your in past the entrance there's a narrow lane folk walking back and forward.  Have to walk through self service folk to get to manned till.

SAGE's papers have been published as data today revealed that the coronavirus is fading away in England, with only 0.1 per cent of the population now thought to be affected. 

This is around 53,000 people, and a drop from an estimated 133,000 in last week's data. There are now around 5,500 people becoming newly infected each day.

The SAGE papers revealed the following:

The SAGE papers revealed the following:

People were already following social distancing before Britain's lockdown but up to 54 per cent of people in the extra vulnerable group were not shielding;

Stopping international flights would not have been a useful measure for the UK during lockdown because there were too many cases already and imported infections would have been drops in an ocean;

By mid-April there was only 'weak' and low-quality evidence that face masks could reduce the transmission of Covid-19 if worn by infected patients;

People in some settings, such as carers for vulnerable people, may have been better off self-isolating for two weeks. And 'particular caution' was urged for discharging people from hospitals to care homes;

Shedding the virus is 'relatively low' early on in the illness's early stages and peaks about 10 days after catching the virus;

Contact tracing is of 'limited benefit' in a large, uncontrolled outbreak and Public Health England's capacity would have been exhausted within a fortnight;

Scientists said contact tracing should be stopped when the first case of coronavirus was diagnosed without any clear link to another country or confirmed case;

Antibody test data - which shows who has had the virus already - should have been available early on in the outbreak to track the size of the epidemic;

Evidence suggested children under the age of 10 are infected at similar rates to adults but are more likely to have no symptoms;

Less than 10 per cent of infectious droplets travel further than 5'5" (1.65m), and transmission at more than 3'2" (1m) appeared to only be common in hospitals;

Public Health England modelling predicted that the peak of infections would be towards the end of April if the outbreak was uncontrolled.

Edited by Dannie Boy

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, hueyview said:

True about Poundland....  Once your in past the entrance there's a narrow lane folk walking back and forward.  Have to walk through self service folk to get to manned till.

Yes its pretty poor management in here. Got enough toiletries etc for a while so wont be back in there for a while

Enzo Chiefo
29 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It's crazy. Guy on the till at the supermarket last week tells me exactly where to stand to make sure I'm 6ft away, starts swiping the items through  coughs into his hand - he's wearing gloves - then continues to swipe the shopping through😮

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic