Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

If that was true then logically only remainers would want him sacked.

Many people haven't forgiven him for playing a large part in Brexit, but Catherine Calderwood and Neil Ferguson had to resign after similarly breaking guidelines they'd been partly responsible for drawing up. 40 Tory MPs have called for him to resign, not because they want to reverse Brexit, but because they are hearing from angry constituents who stuck to the rules like mugs.

You would think any half-wit would realise that.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

The outrage is really about him being the architect of Brexit. 

Brexit was 48.52.

71% of the British public want him to resign.

This isn't just Brexit.

Edited by DETTY29

And now the 2 metre 'rule' is under threat.

Can't adapt what we want to happen to suit the virus?    Right,  let's just adapt the virus to suit what we want to do.    If it doesn't behave... we'll see it off.

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The year 2020

UK government content to be known as liars.   Social media platform forced to fact-check the US President's lunatic ramblings.

Mind that time we knew the Russians and Chinese as the liars?

They sort of still are, but.

SectionDJambo

The Remainers wanting revenge is just another load of rubbish being peddled to try to justify Cummings’ big headed attitude that he could do what he wanted, whilst the stupid public had to do what they were told.

His story, that took a weekend to think up, was an embarrassing attempt to cover up a clear breach of his own rules for everybody else. What a pathetic load of rubbish, it was, easily picked apart, and rightly ridiculed by the vast majority of the U.K. public, it seems.
In my opinion, he has complete contempt for the U.K. public. He thinks he can spin any story to them and they’ll just have to believe it. His “boss”, who he seems to have some kind of hold over, is as unconvincing as he is. Another part of this government who lies as easily as he breathes.

They’ll brass this out, unless more comes out, but it is the start of the unraveling of this crazy notion that Johnson is some kind of super leader. He’s only PM because the Tories elite wanted Brexit our the way, and Labour had a leader who made his election easy. He’s a waffling bafoon.
Harold Wilson famously said that a week is a long time in politics. This has happened over a weekend.

coconut doug
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

To deny there are questions is...well you may have your priorities, fair enough.

Nicola Sturgeon has said the last 2 days that it wasn't safe for older people in hospital.

Wouldn't mind seeing that explained a bit more. Are hospitals not safe now? She and UK Government also say they didn't know much about the virus. Well an inquiry can review what was known at the start of March. I thought quite a lot was known. At that point South Korea for example had it under control. Or if they just didn't use enough care or effort over things like testing. 

Anyway the focus was on allowing the NHS to cope. If you focus on one thing you risk causing other problems. 

I'm not denying there are questions and I'm not claiming SG has done well but when it comes to care homes the owners have to take a lot of the responsibility I think. Poor standards and poor preparation are likely to blame with culpability shared around.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Somebody please put a sock in piers Morgan. Seems to think he’s the man of the people. Much of what he’s posting is correct but he’s still a massive dick

Indeed.   A man who has managed to somehow escape his association with the abhorrent Daily Mirror guff  15 years ago ..... probably gave a nod and a wink to his  phone hacking journalists too  ... and now has wangled his way on to TV as some kind of modern David Frost.

I can't understand why folk who hate posh toffs like BoJo don't automatically hate posh toffs like Morgan.  Bizarre.

coconut doug
4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Why have at go at Westminster?

In both cases criticism should be welcome where deserved surely?

Who is having a go at Westminster?

I'm not saying SG should not be criticised.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The Remainers wanting revenge is just another load of rubbish being peddled to try to justify Cummings’ big headed attitude that he could do what he wanted, whilst the stupid public had to do what they were told.

His story, that took a weekend to think up, was an embarrassing attempt to cover up a clear breach of his own rules for everybody else. What a pathetic load of rubbish, it was, easily picked apart, and rightly ridiculed by the vast majority of the U.K. public, it seems.
In my opinion, he has complete contempt for the U.K. public. He thinks he can spin any story to them and they’ll just have to believe it. His “boss”, who he seems to have some kind of hold over, is as unconvincing as he is. Another part of this government who lies as easily as he breathes.

They’ll brass this out, unless more comes out, but it is the start of the unraveling of this crazy notion that Johnson is some kind of super leader. He’s only PM because the Tories elite wanted Brexit our the way, and Labour had a leader who made his election easy. He’s a waffling bafoon.
Harold Wilson famously said that a week is a long time in politics. This has happened over a weekend.

Well said. Did you see his face when he was asked if he told his boss he was going to Durham, I think it was to try and get him to say “that useless lazy *****, my boss, go **** yourself” or how a elite multi millionaire would put it. 

coconut doug
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Indeed. Of all the posts criticising government about their handling of care homes the one where he's chosen to pick the poster up about it just happens to be one about the SG. What a coincidence.

I'm an SNP supporter and pro independence but even I find the hyper defensive rebuttals to criticism of the SG nauseating.

If that's a reference to me then it's misplaced. I'm not and never have praised or defended the S G handling of this crisis.

I have challenged some who have blamed the SG for things not entirely in their control or not entirely their responsibility e.g. care homes.

I picked him up because I don't believe he is correct or fair. His allegation was directed at SG and I merely challenged it. 

It's not defensive either, iget tired of posters making sweeping derogatory statements about Scotland and it's government. I merely try to provide some perspective.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Indeed.   A man who has managed to somehow escape his association with the abhorrent Daily Mirror guff  15 years ago ..... probably gave a nod and a wink to his  phone hacking journalists too  ... and now has wangled his way on to TV as some kind of modern David Frost.

I can't understand why folk who hate posh toffs like BoJo don't automatically hate posh toffs like Morgan.  Bizarre.

I’m not quite sure if he’s a posh toff as such, more of an oik at best (like George Osborne who didn’t go to Eton) but is extremely well off. He should be despised even if he’s holding a candle to these incompetent fools.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Who is having a go at Westminster?

I'm not saying SG should not be criticised.

He literally said “the Westminster government make the SPFL look competent” on another thread a few hours ago 😂.

Lone Striker

BoJo was  hopeless on the televised select committee hearing today -  avoided answering very good questions from Meg Hillier  and Yvette Cooper about Cummings by his trademark waffle and deflection. Quite disgraceful actually.   Hopefully Starmer nails him down when HoC resumes  on just why Cummings is so essential to the government, and what that says about the other advisors working for senior ministers.  Nobody else to be trusted or up to the task ?   

coconut doug
4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

It will be the Scientists, NHS Management and senior doctors on SAGE who will get the blame for the Care Home fiasco. I don't believe Boris or Sturgeon carry any blame for it TBH. Hancock and our Health Secretary, whatever her name is, the one who pats herself on the back for the Sick Kids fiasco, perhaps... It was mainly related to PPE shortages - they COULD not declare that people were to be assumed to be positive because they did not have the PPE to issue to whole hospitals' staff. Consequently when it came to punting all the old people blocking beds out of hospitals they were not even testing them. If they HAD been testing them they would probably not have known anyway, as the tests were and are rubbish and people can often exhibit symptoms and show Covid in chest X-ray but still test negative 3-4 times before they finally test positive. Cap that with fact that early doors they were even showing tests on TV being done incorrectly, where swabs were far too shallow...

Totally agree, A complicated business where many parties could be blamed.

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

If that's a reference to me then it's misplaced. I'm not and never have praised or defended the S G handling of this crisis.

I have challenged some who have blamed the SG for things not entirely in their control or not entirely their responsibility e.g. care homes.

I picked him up because I don't believe he is correct or fair. His allegation was directed at SG and I merely challenged it. 

It's not defensive either, iget tired of posters making sweeping derogatory statements about Scotland and it's government. I merely try to provide some perspective.

I just found it rather coincidental that of the multitude of posts where people were blaming the UK government for the care home situation you picked out one of the significant minority where it was aimed at the SG. Both absolutely deserve significant criticism for the roles they've played in care home deaths imo, but I do also agree it's not entirely within their control and the care homes themselves need to shoulder a fair burden on that.

Toxteth O'Grady

This track and trace stuff - unknown number - ding?

Matt Hancock on TV tonight has convinced me follow my own instincts.

What a heap of shite he spouts

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

Lone Striker
7 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

This track and trace stuff - unknown number - ding?

Well my phone is full of stuff  already, so no chance I'll be able to download the app.   Probably lots of folk in the same boat.

Brighton Jambo
26 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

The first minister herself on national television said today she had made mistakes on the care homes and if she knew what she knew now she would do things differently and has agreed there needs to be an inquiry.

and yet you think I am making allegations?  I am quoting the first minister from watching first ministers questions.  They are her views not mine how hard can that be to understand.  

you singled out my post because you don’t like me.  You have been called out on it and challenged by an number of other posters and now you are making stuff up.

i notice you also have reverted back the line about sweeping derogatory statements about Scotland which once again I assume is aimed at me.  Something you will find no evidence for and which I have repeatedly denied. 

I like to think I try to be as balanced as I can be on this thread bearing in mind we all have political leanings that naturally influence us.

No way could you say the same.  

Brighton Jambo
25 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I just found it rather coincidental that of the multitude of posts where people were blaming the UK government for the care home situation you picked out one of the significant minority where it was aimed at the SG. Both absolutely deserve significant criticism for the roles they've played in care home deaths imo, but I do also agree it's not entirely within their control and the care homes themselves need to shoulder a fair burden on that.

And that only came about because i happened to be responding to a post in relation to first ministers questions which was focused on care homes.  

I have tried to be balanced and have been far more critical of UK government and their ministers than Nicola Sturgeon in the last couple of weeks but he is just relentless.  Everything I post he is there waiting to find fault in it.  It’s personal and annoying.  

3 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Does anyone else find the Cummings story really boring?

I get he did the wrong thing, and that is an arrogant tw@t, and that on balance he should resign or be sacked. But struggling to muster up the whole faux outrage thing. 

Have heard people on TV and radio go over and over his story picking through all the details of a drive from London to Durham. It’s like a really unexciting version of Making A Murderer or something.  

Boring not at all

If you are a Tory supporter then you want us all to move on and you are a prime example of what they are trying to do..nothing to see here, yes he's a liar, yes his wife lied, yes his family lied but lets move on so we can stay in power.

Boris does not want us to know the full story and despite the fact that there is nothing in this regarding the nations security no one will get to see the evidence he trying not to supply

However anyone with and shred of decency and who cares about others simply put knows he has to go...indeed in normal times Boris would have to go also.

Boris in this case is sticking 2 fingers up to the public and putting his needs ahead of the country

The outrage is because a very high ranking official broke the rules whilst the vast majority have abided by them, the outrage is there was no hint of an apology for having done so and to top it all we had this fantasy story about eyesight which amazingly /seemingly has only impacted on 2 people and both are amazingly high ranking or even at the top of the government..oh and what about the police calling at the Durham property and the 'family' denying it despite the head of the police confirming it happened

People don't like being treated as fools which is what the majority of the general public think is happening...you buy the story and sorry you are a fool

8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

And that only came about because i happened to be responding to a post in relation to first ministers questions which was focused on care homes.  

I have tried to be balanced and have been far more critical of UK government and their ministers than Nicola Sturgeon in the last couple of weeks but he is just relentless.  Everything I post he is there waiting to find fault in it.  It’s personal and annoying.  

I personally felt your post was both fair in its criticism and praise, nor have I felt any of your posts on this thread have come across particularly partisan. I also agree with his point though that the care home situation can't be laid solely at the feet of the government (either UK or Scottish) given a considerable number of them are private, though I've no idea what sort of percentage it is. Equally I agree with you an Nicola Sturgeon that in hindsight they could have mitigated it with some improved decision making.

Edited by Taffin

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I personally felt your post was both fair in its criticism and praise, nor have I felt any of your posts on this thread have come across particularly partisan. I also agree with his point though that the care home situation can't be laid solely at the feet of the government (either UK or Scottish) given a considerable number of them are private, though I've no idea what sort of percentage it is. 

Yeah and I don’t disagree with that point either.  No way people can charge that much money To stay in a care home and not be expected to provide adequate PPE to staff.  When this all boils over there will be all sorts that come out in the wash.  

anyway, I have now stuck him on ignore.  First time since I have joined kickback I have done that but I feel this thread is important and I get a lot from it so want to continue without the relentless hounding! 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

BoJo was  hopeless on the televised select committee hearing today -  avoided answering very good questions from Meg Hillier  and Yvette Cooper about Cummings by his trademark waffle and deflection. Quite disgraceful actually.   Hopefully Starmer nails him down when HoC resumes  on just why Cummings is so essential to the government, and what that says about the other advisors working for senior ministers.  Nobody else to be trusted or up to the task ?   

Absolutely, Labour are awfully quiet just now though for some reason.

What makes the Cummings sags even worse is that two other high profile (medical) advisors have been caught breaching lockdown and lost their jobs as a result.

There has to be consistency across the board.

The UK's lockdown is on shaky enough ground as it is without a high profile person being seen to openly flout the rules with no comback.

Dom has been caught bang to rights but Alex DePfeffel is too much of a wimp to give him the boot.

43 minutes ago, Cade said:

What makes the Cummings sags even worse is that two other high profile (medical) advisors have been caught breaching lockdown and lost their jobs as a result.

There has to be consistency across the board.

The UK's lockdown is on shaky enough ground as it is without a high profile person being seen to openly flout the rules with no comback.

Dom has been caught bang to rights but Alex DePfeffel is too much of a wimp to give him the boot.

Cummings was bloody brilliant during that presser. So good he almost got away with being a barefaced liar. Strangely I liked him more after the presser than I did before. Fecked up big time going to the castle which he clearly couldn’t cover for except  with a lame story, but just about everything else he did as a husband and father is roughly along the lines of what I would have done had the options And circumstances been the same as the ones he appears to have had.

John Gentleman
7 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That’s the thing with all these statistics is it’s hard to know what to believe.  

I do believe England’s figures will be bad but there are some countries that are clearly ripping the p@ss with numbers, China, Russia, Brazil to name but three.  Also I read that Italy doesn’t include care homes deaths but France does and Spain does in some regions only so it’s all over the shop.

like Others have said in a years time we will know much better.  

I don't believe they are. It all depends on how they collate the numbers, and the WHO doesn't apply a standard which doesn't help matters. Some countries attribute Covid-19 deaths to anyone who is Covid-19 positive, irrespective of pre-existing co-morbidities or what their prognosis was pre infection. Others attribute deaths to the primary cause, eg, cardiac, malignancy etc. And developing countries simply don't have the resources to report accurately (lives are cheap in a lot of countries).

So, yes, it's very difficult to get a handle on an accurate mortality rate. I'm not sure the passage of time will provide greater accuracy. This issue is really in the WHO's court to at least provide a set of guidelines.

5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

He will get away with it but his reputation and that of the Tories are ruined for as long as they are there. They won't win another election with Boris and Cummings in charge that's for certain. 

Shite they got such a big majority last time round. 

Cummings is there because Boris is a lovable rogue but an utter maverick and frankly a political lightweight. Cummings is the deep political thinker and analyst that Boris can never be, however Cummings doesn’t have an electable personality and Boris obviously does. They are the two key parts of the prime ministerial machine. Totally reliant on each other. The house of cards falls very quickly if either of them are not there. That’s why Cummings is untouchable. They will ride this out IMO because the other option spells disaster for Johnston, The government, the country and the Tory party.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Cummings was bloody brilliant during that presser. So good he almost got away with being a barefaced liar. Strangely I liked him more after the presser than I did before. Fecked up big time going to the castle which he clearly couldn’t cover for except  with a lame story, but just about everything else he did as a husband and father is roughly along the lines of what I would have done had the options And circumstances been the same as the ones he appears to have had.

:rofl:

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Cummings is there because Boris is a lovable rogue but an utter maverick and frankly a political lightweight. Cummings is the deep political thinker and analyst that Boris can never be, however Cummings doesn’t have an electable personality and Boris obviously does. They are the two key parts of the prime ministerial machine. Totally reliant on each other. The house of cards falls very quickly if either of them are not there. That’s why Cummings is untouchable. They will ride this out IMO because the other option spells disaster for Johnston, The government, the country and the Tory party.

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

So as Jonathan Pye says, Cummings is the only responsible parent in the UK, as would you have been too, and all the others that stayed at home, the highly irresponsible ones?

Edit - well I suppose so yes. The  press conference continued his modus operandi which has (so far) been successful during his career of embellishing, fabricating and lying, just like his boss.  

We'll see how long they both get away with it.  The embellishment, fabrication will just have to get bigger to cover up the bigger the lies in the future.

Bit of pseudo racism thrown in too should just about cover it.

Edited by DETTY29

Move on we are told.

Cops reporting that what was primarily youths getting narky about being warned about breaking social distancing is now moving in to other demographics.

Folk saying they will now tell test tracers to get stuffed and folk who would have downloaded the app, saying ram it too, even though they would before even when it broke Cummings pals are getting the contract.

Edited by DETTY29

vegas-voss

World beating 

It's being pretty much flung onto the public with the " do you're civic duty " message.

So just like folk are not going to testing centres mantra it will be well folk are not doing their civic duty.So taking away blame from the goverment.

Im actually more hopeful it's in a natural decline now than I have faith in any of these things goverment are putting in place.

I hope it all works though.

vegas-voss

How many folk do people come within 2m of in the working day that they don't know or barely know the name of the person ?

I don't want to be negative cause for months I have wanted this test track and trace system up and running bit now it's here I'm like **** is this going to be that effective.As I said my previous post I'm more hopeful things have slowed with the virus that much it's not going to be a big deal now.

The Mighty Thor

Meanwhile back in doing the day job territory.....

Chris Giles/FT reporting comparative like for like data across counties for all cause mortality and guess what? The UK is still number 1 with the highest excess death rate. 

Wonder if now is still not the time to be asking these questions?

The Mighty Thor
31 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Folk saying they will now tell test tracers to get stuffed and folk who would have downloaded the app, saying ram it too, even though they would before even when it broke Cummings pals are getting the contract.

Can't say I blame them. 

I'm very much in the 'whats the point' camp after the last few days. 

I will not be downloading any app to my phone. 

There's not been enough made of your last point. The 'NHS' app falls under the remit of the new Joint National Biosecurity department which is less NHS and more GCHQ.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

As Kay Burley says, the govt test and trace, which was due to launch next week has been brought forward to deflect from Cummings being caught lying.

Captain Sausage

The Cummings saga definitely leaves a sour taste. 

Why should I go to these massive lengths to self isolate, obey all the rules, etc. when clearly the top guys in government couldn’t give a ****. 

What’s the point? I was all for TTTI until this event, and they can now get ****ed if they think I’ll be downloading their app or isolation because an unknown person tells me to over the phone. Ram it. 

I’m not at risk, I have a young ‘healthy’ family with no underlying conditions and we do not socialise with anyone over 50 (grandparents aside who I’ll be avoiding for their safety). 

The government have ****ed it. They’re an absolute disgrace. 

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not quite sure if he’s a posh toff as such, more of an oik at best (like George Osborne who didn’t go to Eton) but is extremely well off. He should be despised even if he’s holding a candle to these incompetent fools.

Being extremely well of is no reason to be despised, PFK.

5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

AlimOzturk

Yeah, I'll not be downloading the app and self isolating because some unknown person tells me I have come into contact with someone with the virus. 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yeah, I'll not be downloading the app and self isolating because some unknown person tells me I have come into contact with someone with the virus. 

If you'd asked me a couple of weeks ago I'd have been more enthusiastic.

We still need to antibody test every **** first imo.

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

But you will self isolate if you can't smell the roses, taste a curry, have a persistent cough and a high temperature?

AlimOzturk
Just now, Old Blue Eyes said:

But you will self isolate if you can't smell the roses, taste a curry, have a persistent cough and a high temperature?

Like everything, use a bit of common sense. If I am Ill with the symptoms I'll self isolate of course. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Like everything, use a bit of common sense. If I am Ill with the symptoms I'll self isolate of course. 

👍

AlimOzturk
Just now, Brian Dundas said:

So you will risk spreading the virus to others? You have been desperate to get back to work since day one and this is the way out but you would see it fail, astonishingly selfish.

Stepping outside and getting hit by a ****ing bus is a risk. It is either safe to leave lockdown or it isn't simple.as that. 

I don't want download an app so ****ing what. If that makes me selfish then so be it. I have obeyed every rule so far and I am getting sick if folk throwing their little "selfish" accusations around like they know better than me. Ultimately you have no idea what the privacy intrusion this app may or may not have. 

vegas-voss
57 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

As Kay Burley says, the govt test and trace, which was due to launch next week has been brought forward to deflect from Cummings being caught lying.

Same with Boris saying pubs could open quicker

Flung out some good news stories the masses will like.

Edited by vegas-voss

Never mind all this Cummings nonsense, has no-one pointed out that Emily Maitlis is clearly wearing Rosebery colours while delivering her smackdown. Perhaps we should send her an (in)famous away top?

image.png.981483b48232cbe4b30b16bfb1b669eb.png

AlimOzturk
1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Do you mitigate the risk of being hit by a bus? Do you just shut your eyes and hope for the best when you cross the road?

Is there maybe a 3rd option where it is safe to leave lockdown but only if we use Track, Trace and Isolate?

Yes, and I will mitigate the risks of Covid by socially distancing and isolating if I have symptoms. I think your selfish for just trusting your basic rights of privacy over to untested, unproven app.

Once again it is is either safe to leave lockdown or it isn't. No track and trace app will make it any less so. 

And I'll say it again, you know **** all like the majority so keep your selfish labels to yourself. 

vegas-voss

So in the not to distant future.If you go to the pub are you going to have to give over details so that they can trace you in case someone has Covid in there as you are not going to know everyone in the pub but there is a fairly high chance you are going to be a metre next to a lot of folk over the course you are in ?

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

So in the not to distant future.If you go to the pub are you going to have to give over details so that they can trace you in case someone has Covid in there as you are not going to know everyone in the pub but there is a fairly high chance you are going to be a metre next to a lot of folk over the course you are in ?

Magnificent last sentence/question...longest on here for a while...:biggrin2:

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

vegas-voss
10 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Magnificent last sentence/question...longest on here for a while...:biggrin2:

Please excuse my punctuation

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic