Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

vegas-voss
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Aye lovely walk round the royal in this weather we’ve had lately. I’m looking forward to playing again myself though. The courses must be in amazing condition now, not a divot or mark on a green or anything. Can’t wait to start getting those bogeys again😐

Aye it's minted looking.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

She could ease things with the golf I’m in no doubt about that but don’t expect it either. She better start hoping for some bad weather imo. 
So many people I’m speaking to all about had it. A glorious weekend and potential problems I reckon. 

i think at least for tomorrow the forecast is heavy rain with some flood warnings

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I don’t want to get political but he’s an utter joke of a PM. Farcical state of affairs he’s got there. 
The chancellor should be PM and let us be rid of that absolute halfwit. 

Who the **** was that drip on yesterday? 

Its like they have an unending number of pathetic little men with weedy voices and stutters. 

Horrific. 

Edited by The Brow

20 minutes ago, Realzaragoza said:

Agree with this post. And it will only get worse as the different regions have different responses , opening golf courses , fishing etc. That makes it harder for folk to follow government advice/rules.

As a golfer, I'll adhere to any Gov's advice/rules religiously.  Prepare for golf in the car park, 10 minute separating tee off times, 2 ball games only, safe distancing is automatic when players are taking a swing, clubhouses will remain closed. Benches, bunker rakes, water fountains and waste bins have all been removed. Flag sticks are not to be handled. After a round of golf I'll rapidly get myself tae ***k. If folk find that hard, the shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a club and projectile that travels at 137mph.

Adam Murray

What was the 'grown up conversation' two weeks ago, on the 7th of May?

Was that not a potential road map to ease out of lockdown?

Hoping for a bit more substance today, with dates etc, on the lifting of some restrictions, especially for those who are currently doing their best to stick to the current rules.

All dependent on the science an 'r' number of course.

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, The Brow said:

Its like they have an unending number of pathetic little men with weedy voices and stutters. 

Horrific. 

Culture secretary.He is the one wanting UK holidays to start up in July.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Horrific. 

Never seen or heard of that guy before either. 
You really do wonder how these people ever get to those positions. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Never seen or heard of that guy before either. 
You really do wonder how these people ever get to those positions. 

They look like they were used as jizz socks at public school. Not a spine between them. 

The Internet
39 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I disagree with most this post to be honest.  

The governments all have a plan for lifting lockdown. The Scottish govt announces it to today. 

Whilst, we are in a much better position than we were pre lockdown. 

Death are a consequence of virus spread. The rate R is the crucial factor and we know that is below 1 and was believed to be circa 3 pre lockdown. 

The fact that we have got R under 1 is the reason the death rate is dropping. 

Also don’t agree numbers rise. Gradual lifting of restrictions in a controlled manner, successful implementation of precautions, targeted measures for high risk areas such as care home would all likely result in a R rate below 1. Ensuring death rates continue to fall. 

Whilst the government have been shambolic the lockdown hasn’t been half arsed. We’ve been locked up for 8-10 weeks in a lockdown that has only seen us allowed for once a day for food and exercise or if your work was essential. It has been remarkably well adhered to considering the restrictive nature of it

The government have been far too successful at putting the fear of god into many people imo. We are going to have to learn to live with this thing but it is something we can do, 

12 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t agree, as always it seems to be people are in the government all good or all bad camps.  The reality is somewhere in the middle.  

if you think that the furlough scheme and the self employed scheme and the other financial help provided is just the ‘bare minimum’ then you are either being deliberately disingenuous or don’t really understand the complexity involved in setting up and implementing in a matter of weeks.  Look at other countries in Europe or further afield and see what they have done, barely any compare in offering.   

In the history of government never have so many employees been essentially funded by the state - 27 million in total counting furlough and benefits and public sector workers.  

Certainly they have made mistakes but to say they are two steps behind Bolsonaro in messaging is laughable.  

UK “stay home, protect the NHS, save lives” locked down for weeks allowed to leave house once a day. 

Brazil “its a hoax and nothing more than a mild flu”

Yous are probably right (though I want to cover myself by clarifying I said two steps above Brazil, not behind, I don't think the govt has been as bad as bolsonaro :lol:). But yeah, don't disagree with your points, think I'm just disillusioned with the whole thing tbh. 

Brighton Jambo
Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Yous are probably right (though I want to cover myself by clarifying I said two steps above Brazil, not behind, I don't think the govt has been as bad as bolsonaro :lol:). But yeah, don't disagree with your points, think I'm just disillusioned with the whole thing tbh. 

Totally mate, I’m the same I just found myself shouting at the television and both kids ran in to see what was wrong!!

I don’t even play golf but am going to start to take advantage of the slight relaxation in lockdown, anything to get out the house!! 

10 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

They all think they are safe and secure in their own we world.Wait until the jobs start going and the houses start getting taken away.Folk think things are just going to go back to normal.Reality is still to hit home.

You think this lockdown is saving jobs and homes? 
a very high percentage of the people currently on furlough will have no job to go back to.

they just don’t know it yet!

vegas-voss
11 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

a very high percentage of the people currently on furlough will have no job to go back to.

The longer the lockdown the worse it becomes.Lets not kid on that the lockdown is only now getting broken it's been getting broken everytime there has been a bit of sunshine.I want the lockdown ended as soon as is possible with no other spikes meaning lockdowns.

Edited by vegas-voss

joondalupjambo
8 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Yep that is where I am with this in relation to jobs and from away back.

Lot's of businesses where staff are furloughed are in sectors that will not be fully operational for a long time and many will surely go out of existence.

What I fear is businesses looking at ways to start to hold back on wages as they begin to plan for closure.

Can they do that?  Is the furlough money paid to companies after they have paid out wages, i.e. in arrears?

I guess whatever method is used to pay employees the big clue for any employee that something is amiss will be if a due amount is not in a bank account on the due date.

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep that is where I am with this in relation to jobs and from away back.

Lot's of businesses where staff are furloughed are in sectors that will not be fully operational for a long time and many will surely go out of existence.

What I fear is businesses looking at ways to start to hold back on wages as they begin to plan for closure.

Can they do that?  Is the furlough money paid to companies after they have paid out wages, i.e. in arrears?

I guess whatever method is used to pay employees the big clue for any employee that something is amiss will be if a due amount is not in a bank account on the due date.

I honestly have no idea how it’s paid tbh I assume the government pay the company the amount they’re claiming for in advance every week?

a lot of smaller companies couldn’t afford to pay up front and claim back I’d guess.

Nicola offering to open a garden centre or 2, boris offering UK holidays for all by july, Scotland, wales and England running 3 different tracking systems, you just couldn't make up this shambles of a wee island. to stop the spread we emptied/scattered potential cases out of hospital into care homes(76% of deaths over 75) spreading it far and wide to make space, while keeping closed facilities built and designed for this epidemic, this emergency.

as an island of similar size, we should be where new Zealand is now.

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

The longer the lockdown the worse it becomes.Lets not kid on that the lockdown is only now getting broken it's been getting broken everytime there has been a bit of sunshine.I want the lockdown ended as soon as is possible with no other spikes meaning lockdowns.

Yes every time it’s sunny it has been broken you are correct.

i myself am  fortunate that I have a good sized garden and can get the loungers out and fire up the barbecue if I want.
I can see why people living in flats, a lot of them with young kids would take them out for some fresh air.

not everyone has the luxury of their own garden.

9 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

Nicola offering to open a garden centre or 2, boris offering UK holidays for all by july, Scotland, wales and England running 3 different tracking systems, you just couldn't make up this shambles of a wee island. to stop the spread we emptied/scattered potential cases out of hospital into care homes(76% of deaths over 75) spreading it far and wide to make space, while keeping closed facilities built and designed for this epidemic, this emergency.

NZ is nothing like the UK

Brighton Jambo
17 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

You make an interesting point about using the new facilities to take the people who went to care homes I had not thought of that.

however the point about New Zealand is wrong in my opinion.  The UK has a population of 66 million versus less than 5 in New Zealand.  New Zealand is one of the most remote counties in the world and thousands of miles from anywhere.  We are on the doorstep of Europe with in London one of the largest international travel hubs on the planet and an open border policy with Europe.

We should look at Germany and ask why we didn’t have the success they had as they are a clearly comparable country.  New Zealand isn’t.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

vegas-voss
19 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I honestly have no idea how it’s paid tbh I assume the government pay the company the amount they’re claiming for in advance every week?

a lot of smaller companies couldn’t afford to pay up front and claim back I’d guess.

My brother in-law  got laid off then he got his furlough money in back pay  when it came in through the company and now gets it weekly.Had to wait about 4 or 5 weeks until he got any money though.

I do get what you mean about some industry are going to severely suffer though and that's why tightly or wrongly let's hope it's rightly the UK government are trying to open these up more quickly.

Edited by vegas-voss

joondalupjambo

Anyone got any ideas on the reasons as to why England's track and trace solution will be "world beating" as the PM stated yesterday?

I just get confused when we hear things like this because all it does is raise people's expectations.  Without any meaningful technology it sounds as though it will simply be, according to an experienced Professor in track and trace methods that it initially will just be talking to a person who has the symptoms, confirming who they have been in contact with and phoning those where possible.  Not sure what the world beating bit is in that.

3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

My brother in-law  got laid off then he got his furlough money in back pay  when it came in through the company and now gets it weekly.Had to wait about 4 or 5 weeks until he got any money though.

As I say I’m not sure how it’s all done but good that he’s getting his money regularly now.

thankfully the government extended it also.

vegas-voss
6 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Anyone got any ideas on the reasons as to why England's track and trace solution will be "world beating" as the PM stated yesterday?

I just get confused when we hear things like this because all it does is raise people's expectations.  Without any meaningful technology it sounds as though it will simply be, according to an experienced Professor in track and trace methods that it initially will just be talking to a person who has the symptoms, confirming who they have been in contact with and phoning those where possible.  Not sure what the world beating bit is in that.

Just Boris chest thumping it's the same when ever Trump speaks it's always the best.No idea if other leaders are the same when they speak though.

2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

the world beating is probably going too far but you need the leaders to state that it is going to be very good/ best solution for us. there is no point coming out and saying it will be a competent app as that will reduce confidence the public would have in it.

my analogy would be a footballer signs for a club, most managers will come out and wax lyrical about them saying things like they will increase the quality of the team etc. how would people feel if a manager came out and said that the new signing will add numbers to the squad, underwhelmed i would say.

it is basically trying to do the best promotion for their system, whether that actually is true we need to wait and see.

one other thing how is the google/apple app coming along? i've not seen much about it recently (granted i havent been looking too hard). it might be that the nhs app comes online first and is intially used then the google/apple one becomes available a few weeks later and is determined to be better. but at least for the period between the nhs one and the google/apple one there is some TTI

9 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah total bollocks.    It would be handy if it's virus beating.    Pretty sure the 2020 Track & Trace World Cup in Kuala Lumpur was postponed.    

vegas-voss
7 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

As I say I’m not sure how it’s all done but good that he’s getting his money regularly now.

thankfully the government extended it also.

Luckily he is in a job that will probably be one of the first to open.He is factory based so only getting his basic part time wages as the majority of the wages he receives are paid in bonus money.So although it's money coming in it's nowhere near what he would usually get.

Latest 14 day ONS surveillance data (completely separate ongoing survey from the daily briefings) seems to show the same prevalence as the previous data.   Suggests 'R' is still hovering around 1.    Also shows an estimate of around 9,000 new infections every day.    Not the 2,400 figure being peddled at the briefing.

43 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You make an interesting point about using the new facilities to take the people who went to care homes I had not thought of that.

however the point about New Zealand is wrong in my opinion.  The UK has a population of 66 million versus less than 5 in New Zealand.  New Zealand is one of the most remote counties in the world and thousands of miles from anywhere.  We are on the doorstep of Europe with in London one of the largest international travel hubs on the planet and an open border policy with Europe.

We should look at Germany and ask why we didn’t have the success they had as they are a clearly comparable country.  New Zealand isn’t.  

46 minutes ago, The Brow said:

NZ is nothing like the UK

I get there are differences but we are an island of similar size, policing incomers shoulda been a lot simpler than Germany most of the EU.  if we applied the same rules as they did at the beginning we would be in the same place, we didn't, we have never stopped shipping people in and out constantly, day after day with no checks done never mind quarantine.

all countries in the EU have open borders, the sensible ones shut theirs and that was without a giant moat around their countries.

we built so many places designed to cope with covid and instead of using them we shipped out, potential carriers from hospitals all over the land.

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Latest 14 day ONS surveillance data (completely separate ongoing survey from the daily briefings) seems to show the same prevalence as the previous data.   Suggests 'R' is still hovering around 1.    Also shows an estimate of around 9,000 new infections every day.    Not the 2,400 figure being peddled at the briefing.

You got a link to that information?

1 minute ago, graygo said:

You got a link to that information?

It was on BBC news but I'll have a look.

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

This is a delicate situation, the nation's frisky already. The last thing the governments want is conflict or the perception of over extended authority, it would be playing right into the hands of Yaxley-Lennon and his band of horrible pricks. You better believe they're ready to pounce, I guarantee the mental right groups online are utterly hoaching with activity just now.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we were taking that little prick and his absurd wee mob of emptyhead teapots seriously at this precise moment in time. 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Looks like they've taken the total over 2 weeks and averaged it out which when the figure is dropping is useless as a guide to where we are now.

Certainly doesn't mean the 2400 from yesterday is wrong.

Montgomery Brewster
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Anyone got any thoughts on what Nicola Sturgeon is likely to announce in relation to route map out of lockdown?

I would imagine it will follow the stage/gate approach that most countries are taking. The level of easing I’m much less sure of.

The initial phase would see people from different households being allowed to meet outdoors, so long as they maintain appropriate distancing. 

More outdoor activities could be allowed, such as golf, fishing and going to sit in the park, while garden centres and recycling facilities may open and some outdoor work could begin again.

pretty much what England already has. We are just a few weeks behind them 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Looks like they've taken the total over 2 weeks and averaged it out which when the figure is dropping is useless as a guide to where we are now.

Certainly doesn't mean the 2400 from yesterday is wrong.

Yes.   But the 14 day average prevalence is 0.25%.   The previous 14 days was 0.27%.     So it suggests very little drop in prevalence over a period of time.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Disagree. Get a megaphone, tell folk that they have 10 minutes to move on before fines start getting handed out. 10 minutes later start handing out the fines. Flood the place with Police, they're doing nothing else anyway. Quieter than they have ever been.

Disagree . I work along side police Scotland and they are dealing with a sharp rise in anti social behaviours mainly related to breaches of the lockdown ( house parties etc ) 

vegas-voss
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Anyone got any thoughts on what Nicola Sturgeon is likely to announce in relation to route map out of lockdown?

I would imagine it will follow the stage/gate approach that most countries are taking. The level of easing I’m much less sure of.

I think we will get recycling centres reopen , golf courses and a social bubble being allowed from 28th.No idea on work advice.

Sooperstar
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Disagree . I work along side police Scotland and they are dealing with a sharp rise in anti social behaviours mainly related to breaches of the lockdown ( house parties etc ) 

Disagree. I know a few police officers, one of whom stated in our WhatsApp chat at 9:53 am on the 16th May that 'There are fewer calls than ever...'

A rise in anti-social behaviours maybe, but more than offset by the drop in other crime.

Weakened Offender
45 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the world beating is probably going too far but you need the leaders to state that it is going to be very good/ best solution for us. there is no point coming out and saying it will be a competent app as that will reduce confidence the public would have in it.

my analogy would be a footballer signs for a club, most managers will come out and wax lyrical about them saying things like they will increase the quality of the team etc. how would people feel if a manager came out and said that the new signing will add numbers to the squad, underwhelmed i would say.

Aaaaahh. That's why he used the term. Got it! You should hang around in case there's some other really tricky sources of information that can be simplified in a footbally-type context. 👍

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes.   But the 14 day average prevalence is 0.25%.   The previous 14 days was 0.27%.     So it suggests very little drop in prevalence over a period of time.

But that's what was expected, the plateau. 

colinmaroon

Passed this quote from Boris to nurses who cared for him in ICU:

Dear Luis and Jenny

Thanks so much for your wonderful care while I was in St Thomas' ICU, I'll send you the bill shortly. 

If you have any dependent family with you in this country, rest assured that should you contract Covid 19 and die, we will send them packing as quickly as we can.

Thanks once again

Yours, the great traitor

Boris

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So house parties are out but promenade parties are in? Or are you saying there were too many other instances of anti social behaviour at lunch time on a Wednesday to deal with the promenade party?

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

it is basically trying to do the best promotion for their system, whether that actually is true we need to wait and see.

one other thing how is the google/apple app coming along? i've not seen much about it recently (granted i havent been looking too hard). it might be that the nhs app comes online first and is intially used then the google/apple one becomes available a few weeks later and is determined to be better. but at least for the period between the nhs one and the google/apple one there is some TTI

https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/20/apple-google-phone-app-trace-coronavirus

Google/Apple app is finished. The UK app won't be ready until at least June, but I don't think there's a definite date. Who'd have thought the tech giants could do it quicker than a couple of Dominic Cumming's mates. Can't wait to see the world beating features but.

Edited by fancy a brew

Just now, graygo said:

But that's what was expected, the plateau. 

I think it calls into question the figures portrayed at the briefings.    We were told that the latest daily total of new cases was 2,472.   That is a figure derived from the number of tests performed.    The ONS survey figure is from an ongoing community surveillance programme.    There is a disparity that's worth noting.

25 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

She'll say. "Up til yesterday I trusted you to be responsible for your own health. But looking at the beaches, you fuds can't be trusted and now I'm sending in the Army and the Polis, tooled up. Girfuys"

Or from the 28th we can visit family outside, with social distancing. Plus, building sites and outside leisure will recommence from the 1st of June.

Edited by ri Alban

7 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/20/apple-google-phone-app-trace-coronavirus

Google/Apple app is finished. The UK app won't be ready until at least June, but I don't think there's a definite date. Who'd have thought the tech giants could do it quicker than a couple of Dominic Cumming's mates. Can't wait to see the world beating features but.

cheers for that, having a quick read it looks like app developers need to create the app using the technology google/apple have made

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So house parties are out but promenade parties are in? Or are you saying there were too many other instances of anti social behaviour at lunch time on a Wednesday to deal with the promenade party?

Not at all .? I just stated that they are busy you claimed they weren’t . Agree that they should have anticipated that crowds would gather on a warm day to the beach ? Don’t need to be Sherlock Holmes to work that out 

Brighton Jambo

I don’t see what option the governments have but to start easing lockdown now.  If the R rate is still hovering around one after 8 weeks of lockdown in not sure why another couple of weeks makes much difference.

you could make the case we should have done a more severe lockdown but I would question how that would have been received and would also point to Sweden who have done no lockdown and not been overwhelmed.

i personally don’t subscribe to the option that England has been too reckless.  Countries that are only a few weeks ahead on the curve have already opened shops, restaurants etc and that is at least 6 weeks away in England.  Their lockdowns are being eased faster despite many of them not having the testing capacity that the UK now has in place.

if the majority of people do the right thing, work from home where they can (I think they will), self isolate when with symptoms, social distance where they can, the vulnerable and elderly stay sheltered and shops, restaurants, gyms etc don’t open for a couple of months then I think that will be enough to avoid a major massive second wave especially with no massive spreader events like football or concerts.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic