Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

The Scottish government has identified four phases for easing the restrictions:

Phase 1: Virus not yet contained but cases are falling. From 28 May you should be able to meet another household outside in small numbers. Sunbathing is allowed, along with some outdoor activities like golf and fishing. Garden centres and drive-through takeaways can reopen, some outdoor work can resume, and childminding services can begin.

Phase 2: Virus controlled. You can meet larger groups outdoors, and meet another household indoors. Construction, factories, warehouses, laboratories and small shops can resume work. Playgrounds and sports courts can reopen, and professional sport can begin again.

Phase 3: Virus suppressed. You can meet people from more than one household indoors. Non-essential offices would reopen, along with gyms, museums, libraries, cinemas, larger shops, pubs, restaurants, hairdressers and dentists. Live events could take place with restricted numbers and physical distancing restrictions. Schools should reopen from 11 August.

Phase 4: Virus no longer a significant threat. University and college campuses can reopen in full, mass gatherings are allowed. All workplaces open and public transport is back at full capacity.

The situation will be reviewed every three weeks, with further phases of easing being introduced if enough progress is being made on keeping the virus under control.

However, Ms Sturgeon said she hoped to be able to move more quickly than that if the evidence allows.

She described the first steps as "proportionate and suitably cautious", and said they were intended to "bring some improvement to people's wellbeing and quality of life, start to get our economy moving again, and start to steer us safely towards a new normality".

As was asked on BBC breakfast. Why don't the Scottish government use the UK 5 phase? 

Flex your devolved muscles and be different for the sake of it.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
34 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Well that leaves us with the conspiracy theory FA

No we are left not knowing much.

33 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Well for a start many left London to spread it elsewhere..meaning to or not

Many live outside the London area but work within it..no work, no travel, no spread in London

In time work will be done to truly find out if there is a main reason...maybe Londoners were very respectful of social distancing and followed the rules

Of course it could all be a conspiracy to save London whilst the rest of us simply fade away

Unlikely in my opinion and more likely to be people coming to work and play in London and taking it home with them. We will probably be able to trace where regional outbreaks came from in the future so we'll see. 

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

As was asked on BBC breakfast. Why don't the Scottish government use the UK 5 phase? 

Flex your devolved muscles and be different for the sake of it.

Or be the wise one acting after Boris has taken the flak and you can look even more efficient

She's not been too bad at this like her or not

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Or be the wise one acting after Boris has taken the flak and you can look even more efficient

I agree that she is a smart cookie 

Spellczech
4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

She spent the previous month pre-empting the UK Govt every Wednesday or Thursday lunchtime. Daily Mail readers were getting their knickers in a right knot over her "gazumping" ... Seems she cannot win with those who want to criticise her.  

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Such certainty. Why aren't you on SAGE?

You don't know any more than I do whether Sweden will come out of this better or worse than us. OR whether or not we would have done with the Swedish approach. Come back in a year or two and we can decide.

Sweden had a lower death rate and R number because the virus struck Sweden later. 

I've not claimed any insights into long term outcomes. If anything I've argued the 2 countries aren't comparable. However I'm quite happy to restate that the UK's death count would have been higher without a lockdown. Given that I'd have introduced it earlier if it had been my decision, I can understand why you think I should be on Sage.

:verysmug:

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Taffin said:

The poster you quoted said they should disperse then or hand out fines and that they had the time to do so because crime is down. I've no idea whether they have more or less work to do.

When you said you disagreed with that I assumed you disagreed and that either they shouldn't disperse them or that they were too busy to deal with it attending the anti-social behaviours you gave an example of. Guess I picked you up wrong 👍

Yeah thats fine. Howevever as I said one would assume they would know its a warm day so surely they could have had a few more on the beat down Portie 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

People keep saying this sort of thing as if we are all being wise in hindsight - I was on the Daily Mail site hammering home the need to lockdown  in early March; questioning the PPE situation in early March; mentioning the problems with all the hospital patients being moved to care homes without testing before any journalist reported on it...I'm not a scientist, but I do have some inside knowledge from people I know in the NHS including my wife. If the man on the street knew all this then why did the scientists and Govt not? The Govt and SAGE are throwing out lots of excuses about science changing etc but the truth is that plenty of people were asking questions when they were doing nothing...

I'll happily admit that I thought Covid was flu-like and a storm in a teacup back in January. Perhaps Shaun will one day find and repost those! By February I'd learned otherwise just from observation...People whose JOB it was to know better should've recognised the truth way before me...

You know that guy who was convicted a couple of days ago for trying to do an HMRC phishing scam. I got that email and reported him to HMRC at the end of January...

What do you want, a medal?  Easiest thing in the world to say I said this and that when in reality, the guys in charge were damned if they did and damed if they didn't. Still folk who say economy more important than some lives being lost so please spare us the Imsaw this happening statements.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What do you want, a medal?  Easiest thing in the world to say I said this and that when in reality, the guys in charge were damned if they did and damed if they didn't. Still folk who say economy more important than some lives being lost so please spare us the Imsaw this happening statements.

The economy is very important. Recession or even depression will kill a lot more people than any virus 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Such certainty. Why aren't you on SAGE?

You don't know any more than I do whether Sweden will come out of this better or worse than us. OR whether or not we would have done with the Swedish approach. Come back in a year or two and we can decide.

Sweden had a lower death rate and R number because the virus struck Sweden later. 

The first case recorded in Sweden was on 31 January. The country hit the 100 case mark between the 5th and 6th of March.

The first two cases recorded in England were on 31 January. The UK, with a larger population, hit the 100 case mark between the 4th and 5th of March.

Data taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Europe

Why do you get away with posting such nonsense?

Malinga the Swinga
4 hours ago, pablo said:

You could look at it two ways I think. To me, it looks like the First Minister has led from the front, unlike the Prime Minister. She's a very good communicator and has impressed.

Or, you could say that the SNP and the Scottish Government lack depth. It's only Sturgeon we see and hear up here too. Generally speaking anyway.

There hasn't been much real difference in approach in terms of the practicalities in dealing with the virus, other than the timing of coming out of lockdown.

Pretty much where I stand. In the main, I reckon all the leaders across Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland have done as good a job as any reasonable person could have expected. None of them were born with the power of hindsight and could only make decisions on what scientists were telling them. 

Could they have done things differently/better? We'll I am sure if they had the chance they would do, but life is not like that as we all know. Get PPE, get ventilators, do lockdown earlier amongst others, but then again, every country bar a few had same issues.

Did they do some things well? - For a start, I never thought I would see the day when a Tory government brought in a scheme where they picked up 80% of the working mans wage as well as a scheme for self employed and business. I honestly think that is something that they should be given a lot of credit for.

All in all, given the situation we are in, I give them all a pass mark.

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Pretty much where I stand. In the main, I reckon all the leaders across Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland have done as good a job as any reasonable person could have expected. None of them were born with the power of hindsight and could only make decisions on what scientists were telling them. 

Could they have done things differently/better? We'll I am sure if they had the chance they would do, but life is not like that as we all know. Get PPE, get ventilators, do lockdown earlier amongst others, but then again, every country bar a few had same issues.

Did they do some things well? - For a start, I never thought I would see the day when a Tory government brought in a scheme where they picked up 80% of the working mans wage as well as a scheme for self employed and business. I honestly think that is something that they should be given a lot of credit for.

Boris gets a pass mark ?

Sorry sympathy maybe for what he went through..pass mark for making mistake after mistake, lie after lie and exaggeration time after time ?..not a chance.

There has been a desperate attempt to catch up having been behind events from the beginning.

I do think the furlough scheme has been a success but has still to be paid for and lets see who pays for it ..his rich cronies or joe public

Even today policy on the hoof by changing minds about foreign workers paying to the national health and about families of those who died trying to help others being allowed to stay.

Jambo-Jimbo
22 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

People keep saying this sort of thing as if we are all being wise in hindsight - I was on the Daily Mail site hammering home the need to lockdown  in early March; questioning the PPE situation in early March; mentioning the problems with all the hospital patients being moved to care homes without testing before any journalist reported on it...I'm not a scientist, but I do have some inside knowledge from people I know in the NHS including my wife. If the man on the street knew all this then why did the scientists and Govt not? The Govt and SAGE are throwing out lots of excuses about science changing etc but the truth is that plenty of people were asking questions when they were doing nothing...

I'll happily admit that I thought Covid was flu-like and a storm in a teacup back in January. Perhaps Shaun will one day find and repost those! By February I'd learned otherwise just from observation...People whose JOB it was to know better should've recognised the truth way before me...

You know that guy who was convicted a couple of days ago for trying to do an HMRC phishing scam. I got that email and reported him to HMRC at the end of January...

Exactly.

Did anyone see John Swinney being interviewed by Kay Burley on Sky News this morning, she asked him what he thought about a survey of nurses in Scotland who have claimed that single use PPE was being reused. 

Mr. Swinney denied having any knowledge of any such practice taking place in Scottish hospitals, and maybe he didn't know, Health is not his department afterall.

From my point of view the most disturbing thing was, here is a man who is at the very heart of the Scottish Government, Deputy First Minister no less who claimed to be totally unaware of the alleged reuse of single use PPE in Scottish Hospitals, and here's me a member of joe public who has known since March that single use PPE is being reused on a daily basis, certainly at the BGH it is, and probably more than likely elsewhere as well.

I suppose then none of them are also aware that face masks are/were being steam cleaned so that they could be used again, or single use face shields instead of being binned after every patient are being cleaned with anti-bacterial spray before the nurse puts the shield back on before they go into the next room, and this isn't just once or twice a day, this happens dozens of times with dozens of nurses each and every day.  Single use disposable plastic aprons, you know the different coloured ones, white, blue, green, yellow etc, offering different levels of protection for different jobs, well it doesn't matter which colour you use, because the only ones which are left are the basic lowest level of protection, maybe ICU have better ones but everyone else is having to make do with anything that's left.

And yet, the very people whom you'd think should know more about these things than joe public does, stand there and say I know nothing or words to that effect.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Boris gets a pass mark ?

Sorry sympathy maybe for what he went through..pass mark for making mistake after mistake, lie after lie and exaggeration time after time ?..not a chance.

There has been a desperate attempt to catch up having been behind events from the beginning.

I do think the furlough scheme has been a success but has still to be paid for and lets see who pays for it ..his rich cronies or joe public

Even today policy on the hoof by changing minds about foreign workers paying to the national health and about families of those who died trying to help others being allowed to stay.

That's your opinion. Unless I am mistaken, I am entitled to mine.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's your opinion. Unless I am mistaken, I am entitled to mine.

Could not agree more

Even an Tory is entitled to one...but my post was factual not opinion

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

The roads were in relation to access and you know that so stop being so pedantic and admit there was an issue

Old blind eyes it should be if you cannot see there was an issue

Still grinding this pish after 21 hours, gies peace man!

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

No it’s was definitely an opinion.........

Not one, I even massively disagree with, but defo opinion and even a question in there😂

Having a question mark does not invalidate a post nor the facts contained within it (or even an opinion)... it was a query (and you use question marks for a query) as to whether he gets a pass mark not the facts later in the post.....facts not opinion

Those in government are, in part at least, responsible for the deaths of thousands..that is a fact worth remembering

That I would hope you would agree with

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The first case recorded in Sweden was on 31 January. The country hit the 100 case mark between the 5th and 6th of March.

The first two cases recorded in England were on 31 January. The UK, with a larger population, hit the 100 case mark between the 4th and 5th of March.

Data taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Europe

Why do you get away with posting such nonsense?

What about the 200 mark. or 1000 mark or when we really started to take notice of this. I think the UK was well ahead of Sweden in terms of deaths and cases before decisions about lock down were made.

And who knows maybe Sweden detected the first cases  sooner. Your case is based on very small margins of time and cases

The fact inasmuch as there are facts is that the UK was ahead of the curve on infections and deaths compared to Sweden.

We simply don't know enough to make judgements about who has the right response.

Do you?

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂

Did I say a question mark invalidates an opinion? I didn’t even insulate it. That is you making something up, to try and strengthen a piss poor argument.

I merely pointed out you asked a question in your posts. Everything else is you making stuff up 😂

Yes I agree the government have been responsible for deaths. The Scottish Govt failure to sort the care home out and test and tracing strategy out (even saying it was a distraction) is extremely disappointing. I feel massively let down by the Scottish Gov. Don’t get me started on the UK govt.

Other may not agree with that, though. Hence why its opinion. 

You think Scottish Govt made mistakes?

Your post was not factual its was an opinion. 

In your opinion

PS yes the Scottish government made mistakes...not as many as the current government but then again you are in denial so like the government you'll pretend it didn't happen telling us they did everything they could got help quickly to all and sundry.

We both know you'll lie in reply but that is just an opinion...you see fact and opinion are easy to differentiate

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

It would be an incredible dereliction of duty if they weren't. Don't underestimate the amount of gammon sitting at home getting noised up by youtube lies

Fair enough. 

This being allowed to meet others from another household outside in phase 1, would that include being in their garden?

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

This being allowed to meet others from another household outside in phase 1, would that include being in their garden?

Yes?

24 minutes ago, graygo said:

Depends if that’s a euphemism 

1 minute ago, kila said:

Depends if that’s a euphemism 

It could be.

So is it a yes and a no, a yes and a yes or a no and a no?

:unsure:

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yes?

A friend of mine owns a pub and it has a beer garden.

That should be okay.

👍🍺🍺🍺

Dagger Is Back
29 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yes? 

Alright matey? I think the answer to your question is yes. That’s certainly what her indoors is planning with her pals coming round for a cuppa

Think I’ll go to the pub

Oh @@@@

1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Alright matey? I think the answer to your question is yes. That’s certainly what her indoors is planning with her pals coming round for a cuppa

Think I’ll go to the pub

Oh @@@@

I just don't fancy asking my old dear to make her way to a park for a blether, or the other thing kila was suggesting either.

You're right, pub it is. Will need to find out where The Real Maroonblood's mate's place is.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I just don't fancy asking my old dear to make her way to a park for a blether, or the other thing kila was suggesting either.

You're right, pub it is. Will need to find out where The Real Maroonblood's mate's place is.

:laugh:

6 hours ago, graygo said:

It sure does! We can know see the granddaughter, officially 😀

5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A friend of mine owns a pub and it has a beer garden.

That should be okay.

👍🍺🍺🍺

Phase 2.

Every pub in Scotland are turning their/Neighbours carparks into beer gardens. Free head umbrellas with a packet of nuts. :D

Stopped going to the pub years ago, I've been once or twice in about 5 years.

Life's too short, so we'll being going out a lot more after this fecking thing. Especially to visit family.

Edited by ri Alban

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, graygo said:

Yip that’s a plan 👍🍺.

My Mums in East Linton. Haven’t seen her since March. Would be good to get down for a cuppa

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52754280

Sorry if this has been posted before.

A bit of hopeful news.  It’s wee incremental things like this, in treatments, that are going to be most useful in beating this disease, rather than a “done-and-dusted” vaccine IMHO.

The thing I have found most reassuring about all this is that scientists across the world are united in a common goal and making unbelievable strides in so little time.  The significant majority are not burdened by political and international disputes so they share they work widely and freely allowing other to build on their findings and move progress even faster.

to me they are hero’s as much as anyone through all this.  

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

😂

Think someone must've shat in his falafel.

The poor man's FA.

9 hours ago, graygo said:

Loads of folk have been doing this already. 

Can't say I blame them.

2m in the queue at Tesco or B&Q is no different to 2m in someones back garden.

The powers that be will have been fully aware that this would be widely flouted and will have factored it in to their models.

The Mighty Thor
14 hours ago, Victorian said:

Nationwide antibody survey estimates 5%+ have antibodies.    17% in London.    No info was offered as to why there would be such a variance.    

17% of London is approx 1.53m

5% of the rest is approx 2.85m

1 in 3 of all infections in London

Seems odd.

14 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Infections spread faster in London? So antibodies did too? 

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

Well we all understand that one follows the other.    It's surprising that 1 in 3 people ever infected is in London.    We knew it was the UK epicentre but by a magnitude it seems.

I think this is all linked to the transport hubs of Heathrow & Gatwick. They would have been the original transmission points of the virus into the UK and it stands to reason that the majority of carriers would have been tourists/visitors that would most likely have stayed in and around London, unwittingly seeding the virus amongst the indigenous population.

Think of the contact chain and potential infections of one single person arriving at Heathrow and making their way to a hotel in central London by tube/train? 

It makes the decision to not close our borders at any point during this crisis absolutely incredible and most likely negligent. 

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Loads of folk have been doing this already. 

Can't say I blame them.

2m in the queue at Tesco or B&Q is no different to 2m in someones back garden.

The powers that be will have been fully aware that this would be widely flouted and will have factored it in to their models.

That's what we'll be doing next weekend. Getting out friends round to the garden for a few beers and some BBQ.

it's been too long since we've socialised. 👍

scott herbertson
10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I think this is all linked to the transport hubs of Heathrow & Gatwick. They would have been the original transmission points of the virus into the UK and it stands to reason that the majority of carriers would have been tourists/visitors that would most likely have stayed in and around London, unwittingly seeding the virus amongst the indigenous population.

Think of the contact chain and potential infections of one single person arriving at Heathrow and making their way to a hotel in central London by tube/train? 

It makes the decision to not close our borders at any point during this crisis absolutely incredible and most likely negligent. 

Certainly that, and the tubes and bus network in London - massively more cross infection than any where else in the UK, earlier, so inevitably more people in London will have had it. Also those people predominately of working or school age (use of TFL during busy times) so few will have died but they will have taken it back out to the commuting hinterland (around 100 miles outside London)

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That's what we'll be doing next weekend. Getting out friends round to the garden for a few beers and some BBQ.

it's been too long since we've socialised. 👍

:sweeet:

7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

One household at a time obviously.......

I think most folk won't have too much trouble sticking to this one.

One thing I will say, though. Many of the stairs with shared back greens round where I live have had practically the entire block out the back during the nice weather. I'd imagine this was country-wide.

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

One household at a time obviously.......

Naturally.

In fact I've invited my mate and his wife round and my Mrs has invited her mate and husband round. Seeing one household each at a time.

Are we doing that right?

jack D and coke
12 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

100% mate. 
I won’t be laying blame at anyone’s door and I think this conservative government deserves a lot of praise, the chancellor in particular has been pretty tremendous, I really like this guy. 
I just hope we can all come out of this and get back to normality. 

Then people can go back to the pitiful snp this/tory that. 
I reckon I’m done with it personally tbh. It takes this to make you realise it’s all meaningless bolloks and there are far more important things to concern ourselves with. 

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I reckon I’m done with it personally tbh. It takes this to make you realise it’s all meaningless bolloks and there are far more important things to concern ourselves with. 

Agreed.

I can't wait to get back to hating Catholics and folk with suntans and foreign sounding surnames.

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Agreed.

I can't wait to get back to hating Catholics and folk with suntans and foreign sounding surnames.

:brucey:

AlimOzturk

Least things are moving forward. Hopefully the next month or two things will seem more normal. Praying that this virus doesn't come back and **** things up again. Can't see that happening tbh considering the massively low number now in the Lothians especially. 

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Least things are moving forward. Hopefully the next month or two things will seem more normal. Praying that this virus doesn't come back and **** things up again. Can't see that happening tbh considering the massively low number now in the Lothians especially. 

I have days when it doesn’t bother me and I think it’ll be fine and then days when I really worry things are messed for a long time. Probably not seeing my kid for all this time barring at my window and a bit of heavy boozing and other things lately haven’t exactly helped my state of mind😬😂
Hope we are all coming out other side soon. 

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

100% mate. 
I won’t be laying blame at anyone’s door and I think this conservative government deserves a lot of praise, the chancellor in particular has been pretty tremendous, I really like this guy. 

What praise do they deserve?

30 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Talk is, virus is here to stay, folk foolishly might ***k it up, as we saw in the sonsheeeeine.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

jack D and coke
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

What praise do they deserve?

The furlough and help for people like me who are self employed imo. Never thought I’d see a Tory government for such socialist things tbh. 
You don’t have to agree of course im not looking for an argument about politics bud. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

The furlough and help for people like me who are self employed imo. Never thought I’d see a Tory government for such socialist things tbh. 
You don’t have to agree of course im not looking for an argument about politics bud. 

Fair enough.

I agree about the furlough.

End off.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic