Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ehllhayapeh

My Exs primary is heading back (near Portsmouth) on the 1st and she is pretty anxious about it.

Its taken a global pandemic to get us talking again. 

1 hour ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

My Exs primary is heading back (near Portsmouth) on the 1st and she is pretty anxious about it.

Its taken a global pandemic to get us talking again. 

Just how young is your ex?

I think this is a good article to explain the public reaction to the Government wanting schools to go back - http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/04/30/1588242892000/Is-it-acceptable-for-government-to-be-dishonest-at-a-time-like-this--/ It's in FT Alphaville, which is free but you might need to register. 

The article isn't about schools but about where it's acceptable for governments to be dishonest. It explains that the public has a 'resevior of trust' in the Government. I think this might have been exhausted by the dishonesty about the failure to meet testing targets, failures on PPE and failure to protect care homes. This is combined with the Government's continued claims to be doing well. 

How it links to schools is that I think there is some evidence that children going to school is not a big driver of infection. The chief scientist at the WHO was on the Marr show just before Michael Gove on Sunday to talk about it. In the countries where schools have gone back already (eg Denmark) there is no evidence that this has increased the R0 number. And of the clusters associated with schools these have been linked to an adult rather than the pupils. So it seems like, although children can catch the virus, they don't appear to be spreading it. 

It seems that there is evidence to support children going back to school but the public don't believe the Government. 

manaliveits105

Looking forward to Nichola Sturgeon criticising the Ceptic fans flouting lockdown celebrating their tainted trophy but I wont hold my breath 

49 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Looking forward to Nichola Sturgeon criticising the Ceptic fans flouting lockdown celebrating their tainted trophy but I wont hold my breath 

Celtic support will always be bereft of class. Your breath? I'd hold it, they stink.

vegas-voss
13 minutes ago, felix said:

.a bit late in the day to be coming up with new 3-month restrictive strategies.

The economic & social damage is already done

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Very much this. It’s time for them to develop targeted restrictions to protect the most vulnerable but that enables the majority of us to continue with less restrictions.

This really is a sledgehammer to crack a nut right now.

My worry now is I think this is coming back in the winter and we will see another lockdown.So we need to get back to some normality now before the country is shut up again.I honestly don't think we will see a vaccine mass produced until at least 2022 and that's why scientist are coming up with these models.As always not got a clue I'm  just typing thoughts 😂

Edited by vegas-voss

vegas-voss

Enough doom going to go out a walk then enjoy the weather in the garden.

Edited by vegas-voss

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Very much this. It’s time for them to develop targeted restrictions to protect the most vulnerable but that enables the majority of us to continue with less restrictions.

This really is a sledgehammer to crack a nut right now.

I don't think the government (on all sides) knows exactly what type of hammer , weight or angle of trajectory is best, to crack this particular  nut 😔

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

My worry now is I think this is coming back in the winter and we will see another lockdown.So we need to get back to some normality now before the country is shut up again.I honestly don't think we will see a vaccine mass produced until at least 2022 and that's why scientist are coming up with these models.As always not got a clue I'm  just typing thoughts 😂

Keep these thoughts to yourself.

😄

I’m trying to enjoy the weather.

Justice Minister Robert Buckland admits that care homes were more or less abandoned  to their fate as the priority was NHS hospitals.
"I think we needed to make a choice about testing and we did decide to focus upon the NHS.
The issue with care homes is that we’ve got many thousands of different providers, different settings, there have been lots of examples of care homes that have mercifully stayed infection free, but sadly far too many cases of infection and then death."

When reminded that 40% of all deaths in the first week of May happened in care homes, he was again asked to confirm that the NHS had been prioritised over care homes.
"That’s right and I think that was essential.

Now is not the time to blame people, I think that would be wholly counter productive"

So there we have it.

Edited by Cade

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Justice Minister Robert Buckland admits that care homes were more or less abandoned  to their fate as the priority was NHS hospitals.
"I think we needed to make a choice about testing and we did decide to focus upon the NHS.
The issue with care homes is that we’ve got many thousands of different providers, different settings, there have been lots of examples of care homes that have mercifully stayed infection free, but sadly far too many cases of infection and then death."

When reminded that 40% of all deaths in the first week of May happened in care homes, he was again asked to confirm that the NHS had been prioritised over care homes.
"That’s right and I think that was essential.

Now is not the time to blame people, I think that would be wholly counter productive"

So there we have it.

I saw, what looked like the honey monster's stunt double, There's Coffey on TV yesterday trying to blame the scientists saying they have been providing the 'wrong information'.

Roll on a few hours and Dame Angela McLean on the presser is having none of that saying advisors advise, ministers decide policy.

They are wriggling like feck. 

PMQs will be good today*

*If #WHEREISBORIS actually turns up for the day job.

vegas-voss
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Its a cracking day. I’m going to walk to the shop get some beer. Fire up the BBQ and send the kids indoors to do their school work,.

Bets way to enjoy the sun😃

I like your style 👍

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Its a cracking day. I’m going to walk to the shop get some beer. Fire up the BBQ and send the kids indoors to do their school work,.

👍🍺

33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I hope it pishes down, you get fined for breaching lockdown, there's nae beer left, and your bairns run amok...:biggrin2:

5.5 hours to go before knock off...

The lessons can wait for a rainy day, enjoy your bairns in the sunshine when you can...👍 

Fair play to the car-crash PM because he probably had the upper hand on Starmer this time.    Disappointed by Starmer today.

vegas-voss
17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Fair play to the car-crash PM because he probably had the upper hand on Starmer this time.    Disappointed by Starmer today.

Been off the whole week being coached 😂

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Been off the whole week being coached 😂

:D

Certainly didn't get his barnet sorted out anyway.    

Brighton Jambo
19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think last time Kier Starmers forensic questioning style caught the PM out.  He was ready for it this time and could counter it.  Kier Starmer will need to mix his style up up a bit.  Does make for interesting watching though.

vegas-voss

That's him made another commitment though that track and trace will be fully implemented by June 1st.Two days earlier Raab wasn't confident it would be.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

That's him made another commitment though that track and trace will be fully implemented by June 1st.Two days earlier Raab wasn't confident it would be.

Don't think it's that hazardous to commit to the system being 'ready' in time or by a stated date.    When the time comes there will be a system in whatever state of readiness it exists in.    There will be about a thousand different ways to spin,  twist,  manipulate or avoid any questions regarding whether or not it was or is ready.

What is ready in this context?   Nobody knows.    Ready can mean anything.    I wonder how efficient and effective it will be.    I wonder how compliant people will be to it's purpose.

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It’s just been mentioned on LBC that the jobs have been advertised and only yesterday not taken up. 
So not necessarily true. 

Ehllhayapeh
5 hours ago, kila said:

Just how young is your ex?

Shes a primary teacher, obviously. I was half expecting that quip but expected to get away with it!

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Starmer's style doesn't make for good viewing. He's measured and forensic. He's actually pretty monotone, but he uses Johnson's and his government's claims and statements to better them over the head. 

With this mob that means a never ending supply of ammunition. 

59 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think last time Kier Starmers forensic questioning style caught the PM out.  He was ready for it this time and could counter it.  Kier Starmer will need to mix his style up up a bit.  Does make for interesting watching though.

It did catch him out last time and of course he came back this time, the only way he knows how, full of bravado, bluster and figures which tend to have a distant relationship with fact and then he pulled the classic 'why don't you stop being negative and support us? 

Because they are the opposition you banger.

48 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I think this was Starmer's game plan today. Seed Johnson for 2 weeks time. Allow him to run his mouth off about millions of this, bazillions of that but get him to put commitments on it, like he did on the test/trace/isolate commitment of 1st June. Not only will it be ready but it'll be world leading, don't you know.

The £900 million cost for immigrant health workers surcharge has already been shot down less than hour later. 

Rhetoric and noise feed Johnson and the braying donkeys, quietly picking them apart with their own lies and bullshit is far better to watch and will be far more effective long term. 

Brighton Jambo

The scotland deaths is depressingly high today.  I know it peaks after the weekend but was only 29 yesterday so thought it would be that or lower today.  

I hope it doesn’t derail plans to ease lockdown though fingers crossed it’s just a small uptick for one day.  

is there any reporting anomalies I have missed that would explain it? I can’t keep up! 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

FM took a fair pasting in FMQT today 

I saw a few minutes but wish they would drop the Nike Conference questions.  It’s like they have discovered this huge conspiracy except it isn’t and she didn’t even make the decisions on testing around it.  It’s just so repetitive now.  

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I saw a few minutes but wish they would drop the Nike Conference questions.  It’s like they have discovered this huge conspiracy except it isn’t and she didn’t even make the decisions on testing around it.  It’s just so repetitive now.  

Anyone who tries to score political goals atm is an absolute ****ing ***** and no mistake. 
You always wish people could admit mistakes but it’s the ***** trying to score political goals that stop the other ***** being able to admitting mistakes. 
We could all really try help here instead of SNP this or tory that. 
Driving me bammy.

What were the Scottish figures incidentally, haven’t seen them today?

Edited by jack D and coke

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Anyone who tries to score political goals atm is an absolute ****ing ***** and no mistake. 
You always wish people could admit mistakes but it’s the ***** trying to score political goals that stop the other ***** being able to admitting mistakes. 
We could all really try help here instead of SNP this or tory that. 
Driving me bammy.

What were the Scottish figures incidentally, haven’t seen them today?

Only headline I saw was 50 more deaths.  That was higher than I expected but don’t know if that is a reporting anomaly.  

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Only headline I saw was 50 more deaths.  That was higher than I expected but don’t know if that is a reporting anomaly.  

It is usually higher on a Wednesday. Not sure why. For reference last Wednesday was 61 and the previous Wednesday was 83. 

Tuesday this week was 29, last week 50 and the previous week 44 (I think with a bank holiday Monday?) for comparison. 

All still going in the right direction I think. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That’s the correct figure.

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, dtgj said:

It is usually higher on a Wednesday. Not sure why. For reference last Wednesday was 61 and the previous Wednesday was 83. 

Tuesday this week was 29, last week 50 and the previous week 44 (I think with a bank holiday Monday?) for comparison. 

All still going in the right direction I think. 

Thanks - yeah good news.  Trending down is key! 

7 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Thanks - yeah good news.  Trending down is key! 

Yes. Historic stats are available here - https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

I like to look at the 'percent of new tests positive' graph. Given the lag between contracting the virus and dying and the fact that still not everyone is being tested (and so there may be more new cases than reported) I think this gives the best up to date information on 'R0' from all the publicly available information. Although I'm not virologist so I might be wrong! 

It's down at around 4-4.5% of tests coming back positive. I like to think that shows the virus is petering out a bit and we'll be able to open up a bit more soon. 

Gove has a first class seat on the "everything to do with Brexit is actually due to Covid-19" train.

After confirming that there is going to be a customs border running down the middle of the Irish Sea, he immediately claimed that this did not constitute a border and that is was only there to help keep the island of Ireland disease free.

So, most certainly not anything to do with Brexit or the GFA or customs, but for public safety.

:Aye:

manaliveits105

Zero new infections in London last 24 hours 

but south coast beaches packed today apparently 

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Zero new infections in London last 24 hours 

That's really positive news.

Brighton Jambo

Just been out for a walk and clearly a whole load of people around me have abandoned lockdown.  

people in their gardens hosting friends with kids playing, the play park swamped with kids, at least twenty groups of people sitting in park paying zero attention to social distancing and loads of teenagers walking around in groups.

so ****** annoying.  

I have a mate who lives around the corner and we have discussed sneaking out to the woods near us for some socially distanced beers but to be a good citizen we haven’t done it.  So bloody tempted now.  

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Squads of fecking teenagers on mountain bikes everywhere where I live. 

It’s pisses me off as well.

vegas-voss
17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

2,400 new cases but zero in London?

Watford player tested positive so there is at least one.

Hopefully though  numbers stay low in London in a couple of weeks time though.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Watford player tested positive so there is at least one.

Hopefully though  numbers stay low in London in a couple of weeks time though.

I would be delighted to see great progress anywhere.    But 0 in London from 2,400 in the UK is surely fanciful.   London is about 12% of the UK population.   

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Squads of fecking teenagers on mountain bikes everywhere where I live. 

That was one thing I noticed today aye. Absolutely loads. 
To add with this weather was always gonna be a struggle tbh. 

Edited by jack D and coke

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic