Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nicholas Brody
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Didn’t know that, can I ask how you know this?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spellczech
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The main issue for me is the perverse,   counter-productive consequence of people chucking in the towel of social distancing.    The potential consequence,   and it's very real,   is that progress wasted today = social distancing remaining for longer than it might otherwise have to.

People jumping the gun now can all add up and multiply out to another 3 months before they get to go to the pub,   as an example.

Why not just stick with it for another sensible period?    We can all reap the benefits later this year.    Not next year. 

A second wave is beginning to look inevitable. The irresponsible behaviour will keep the pubs closed for longer...

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Nicholas Brody said:

Just daft, what’s the point they will just be back tomorrow doing the same. Here was me feeling sorry for them in their uniforms in that heat. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The main issue for me is the perverse,   counter-productive consequence of people chucking in the towel of social distancing.    The potential consequence,   and it's very real,   is that progress wasted today = social distancing remaining for longer than it might otherwise have to.

People jumping the gun now can all add up and multiply out to another 3 months before they get to go to the pub,   as an example.

Why not just stick with it for another sensible period?    We can all reap the benefits later this year.    Not next year. 

Stupid selfish *******s 

Nicholas Brody
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just daft, what’s the point they will just be back tomorrow doing the same. Here was me feeling sorry for them in their uniforms in that heat. 

Yeah, I'm firmly in the punish hard, punish once camp but I honestly think they're damned if the do damned if they don't. 

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

A second wave is beginning to look inevitable. The irresponsible behaviour will keep the pubs closed for longer...

Great, never mind the pubs if it goes on into winter there’s every chance I’ll lose my job that I’ve done all my adult life with 25 years in my current place of work. Meanwhile all the arses that are ignoring lockdown will doubtless go back to their jobs as if nothing has happened. 

edit. Sorry that sounds like I’m writing off pub workers, I’m not. But Pubs will reopen and bar jobs will be there again, sadly not soon enough for a lot of people. My industry could be wiped out. 

Edited by Tazio

52 minutes ago, Barack said:

Folk can laugh. There won't be any 2nd bailout for them, if and when it goes tits up again.

I'll be on the lookout for some nice repossession houses. Might build a portfolio.🤔

Capitalism works.

One door shuts another opens.

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

I hope not.    The unintended benefit of thousands milling about in close proximity might be that we find out that it's not as dangerous as we thought it might be.    We might not see any noticeable effect.

But yes,   the possibility is that the impatience of people will prolong the time we are not able to do things.     

Outbreaks,   clusters,   and the like can be suppressed by testing and tracing.    All the better once done from a relatively low prevalence.     A distinct second wave is a bit different.    It would result out of too radical a shift to normality on top of a higher prevalence.

Spellczech
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

I hope not.    The unintended benefit of thousands milling about in close proximity might be that we find out that it's not as dangerous as we thought it might be.    We might not see any noticeable effect.

But yes,   the possibility is that the impatience of people will prolong the time we are not able to do things.     

Outbreaks,   clusters,   and the like can be suppressed by testing and tracing.    All the better once done from a relatively low prevalence.     A distinct second wave is a bit different.    It would result out of too radical a shift to normality on top of a higher prevalence.

I cannot see track and trace being a success. The people who go to the beach when told not to will not download an app which they will see as tracking them - they'll say no due to their "rights" and "Civil liberties"

11 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Think we are past controlling it in the manner we have.

Once the majority get back to work social distancing will depend on the weather.

In a way hopefully this may prove by accident better in the long term I mean that not in the way handled.

It's hard to tell what long term effects from the virus have on young people.

Also timing of lockdowns .

It has to be said that's looked like the first minister called that sweet.

Three quarters of deaths in Scotland have been people over 75

A lock down on over 75's (even 70) would clearly help..and I mean a proper lockdown which also means giving them full support (with of course a focus on care homes)

Of course just because the deaths are higher for the over 75's it does not mean that others do not contract the virus and this can lead to a number of deaths for those under 75

Should we focus on those in the most vulnerable areas knowing this will reduce deaths ? (inc those with other illnesses)

Cases will still be recorded but in terms of death if the over 75's were not to catch the virus the majority would survive as it appears they are less vulnerable to the impact of catching the virus leading to death

Truly this would hit many of the most vulnerable even more and I would not like it but the impact may be worth it.

It may allow many to return to work if home working cannot be achieved and this would boost the economy.

There is not going to be a time when there is no risk in the near future

48 minutes ago, Barack said:

Folk have chucked it. Let the purge commence.

43 minutes ago, Barack said:

Folk can laugh. There won't be any 2nd bailout for them, if and when it goes tits up again.

I'll be on the lookout for some nice repossession houses. Might build a portfolio.🤔

Increasing your capital at the expense of the dafties? ***k aye!

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Pissses me off that I have stayed in all day in this beautiful weather whilst other folk don't give a ****. This lockdown is a joke and has been from the start. Intentions might have been there but when the authorities do **** all about people breaching the "rules" then why should mugs like me continue to?

Feel the same. Does my head in. Folk just don't give a flying ****.

4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I cannot see track and trace being a success. The people who go to the beach when told not to will not download an app which they will see as tracking them - they'll say no due to their "rights" and "Civil liberties"

Why are the roads not closed to these places ?

Why are police not straight down to Portobello Beach and the parks to move people on and give them the message that they cannot 'party in the park'

It would not take hundreds of police to walk along the beach and promenade moving people on....and the same in parks

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

It’s great parenting showing your kid’s how to break the law.

vegas-voss
9 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

They all think they are safe and secure in their own we world.Wait until the jobs start going and the houses start getting taken away.Folk think things are just going to go back to normal.Reality is still to hit home.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Why are police not straight down to Portobello Beach and the parks to move people on and give them the message that they cannot 'party in the park'

It would not take hundreds of police to walk along the beach and promenade moving people on....and the same in parks

That’s too much common sense.

16 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

17 streets lead of Portobello High Street & Abercorn Terrace, the residents would/should kick up ***k.

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

Yeah, I'm firmly in the punish hard, punish once camp but I honestly think they're damned if the do damned if they don't. 

It’s a bit late to be doing it now too.

5 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

17 streets lead of Portobello High Street & Abercorn Terrace, the residents would/should kick up ***k.

It is easy to allow residents in and we are talking about the beaches and promenade where even if they are local they should not be using it for sunbathing etc

7 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

It is easy to allow residents in and we are talking about the beaches and promenade where even if they are local they should not be using it for sunbathing etc

Talking about the beaches and prom now. Your initial question was why aren't the roads closed to these places. lets move on.

50 minutes ago, Barack said:

Missed the boat with American property, in 2008.

Don't think I'll become the Robbie Fowler, of JKB. But I fancy some Homes Under The Hammer-type jaunts.

You seem a decent guy.

Rent them out at affordable rates.

From the pictures it looks like porty was nowhere near what the usual numbers are.

Porty itself is quite densely populated if 1 in 5 people take a walk down the prom within a mile it adds up.

Again I think people in general have played the game.

4 minutes ago, jake said:

From the pictures it looks like porty was nowhere near what the usual numbers are.

Porty itself is quite densely populated if 1 in 5 people take a walk down the prom within a mile it adds up.

Again I think people in general have played the game.

I've personally not got a problem with the numbers, it's what they are doing when they get there. Exercising is allowed, sunbathing isn't. Not sure why that is, but them's the roolz.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've personally not got a problem with the numbers, it's what they are doing when they get there. Exercising is allowed, sunbathing isn't. Not sure why that is, but them's the roolz.

Been 10 weeks .

I was soaking up some Ray's myself .

Albeit remotely .

People being people.

15 minutes ago, jake said:

Been 10 weeks .

Albeit remotely .

People being people.

The word remotely is key there. To be fair it must be hell if you don't have a garden and there's loads of flats down Porty way.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, kila said:

Out for a stroll today, was busy and folk generally social distancing but it's clear the masses are losing interest in it all. The fear of someone being less than 2 metres away a month ago or so ago is gradually becoming unrecognisable now.

Testing couple of months ahead but maybe there'll be some positivity and infections will continue to slow showing immunity is prevailing.

Time for me has skewed completely. I can't believe we're almost in June... feels like a few days ago I was in the office. Just a big blur of time since.

I'm retired but can relate to at least parts of your last sentence. Feels sometimes as if I'm just watching myself age as whatever time's left to me goes battering by.

I know it wouldn't be "battering by" any slower pre-Covid, but I wouldn't have had as much time to dwell on it.

Ah ken, woe is me. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, graygo said:

The word remotely is key there. To be fair it must be hell if you don't have a garden and there's loads of flats down Porty way.

Well that's it mate.

If one person per stair takes a wander down.

And the odd person takes a wee drive.

I travelled to a bit of coastline that seems to be not fully appreciated .

On bike with wee man fishing rod barbie.

Tell ye what what a benefit to my mood.

Caught nowt as usual but the forth is a beautiful landscape.

8 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

So why weren't the police battering into the folk at Portobello beach dishing out fines? 

They were in Paisley. I witnessed2 guys on bikes being nabbed by the Polis. but I think they were pished. One of them was trying to go his bike upside doon. :D

I have to say, 2 motors for 2 half cut middle agers was a bit over the top.

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Why? They should not be going anywhere.

5 hours ago, jake said:

Been 10 weeks .

Albeit remotely .

People being people.

Keep telling yourself that. And it's been 9 weeks.

Der Kaiser

Good to see its tackled seriously in the ERI. Everyone in PPE, surfaces wiped constantly, new curtains hung up between patients moving into cubicles, over 70s all being tested

Sitting here with my ankle break I have seen folk from other wards looking for supplies so there's definitely struggles with keeping up with demand though.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Why? They should not be going anywhere.

Not even to the pharmacy or supermarket? like me, some will also be commuting.

My concern was, how can you block/police 17 streets to the prom and have the residents on side at the same time.

How's your legs?...:biggrin:

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Not even to the pharmacy or supermarket? like me, some will also be commuting.

My concern was, how can you block/police 17 streets to the prom and have the residents on side at the same time.

How's your legs?...:biggrin:

Still uneven :D

Surely locals could hire @Cade to finger point invaders off your streets.

:kirklol:

Edited by ri Alban

Unknown user
11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

So why weren't the police battering into the folk at Portobello beach dishing out fines? 

This is a delicate situation, the nation's frisky already. The last thing the governments want is conflict or the perception of over extended authority, it would be playing right into the hands of Yaxley-Lennon and his band of horrible pricks. You better believe they're ready to pounce, I guarantee the mental right groups online are utterly hoaching with activity just now.

18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Still uneven :D

Surely locals could hire Cade to finger point invaders of your street.

:kirklol:

Cade on a mission?

My street? I'm further down the coast, Scotlands golf coast allegedly. Today, we need good news from Nicola.

The Internet

The government have done the absolute bare minimum from the start. Can't be bothered to make difficult decisions. They're maybe two steps above bolsonaro out campaigning for things to stay open. All they've done is grudgingly force a half lockdown, once it became apparent that this virus was already extremely widespread here and killing folk by the day, and covered 80% of wages of people who've been forced out of work.

Now they're having to just open up without a major plan and hope for the best even though we're still at a far worse point than we were at the start of 'lockdown' (363 deaths yesterday, that number was just unthinkable when lockdown started) because it's been 10 weeks and the numbers are only now starting to come down and folk are going out anyway. What's happening elsewhere in Europe is irrelevant. Numbers will ramp up again here in a few weeks. 

Realzaragoza
30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

This probably won’t be a popular opinion here but........

The lockdown has clearly been breaking down over the last few weeks. People can only be locked up so long. That point has passed for many. 

I believe a lot of this breakdown is down to the government mismanaging its approach and poor messaging. 

The lockdown would have been adhered to better if people had been offered a bit more hope with easing of minor restrictions over the period. Lots of things could have been done with no impact to R number, yet they have consistently chosen not to. Instead they have stuck with a message that is well passed its sell by date and continually failed to offer any hope to the general population. Whilst the country has had amongst the most severe restrictions. 

This length of lockdown is a direct result of the governments failures. They have failed to address key areas and manage the message appropriately. As a result we are suffering unduly economically and socially, 

When you look at the numbers we are reporting, the fact peak passed in April, pretty much all of Europe opening up it’s really unsurprising lockdown is breaking down. What did people think would happen?

I’m sorry the time for being locked up has long passed. We are seeing people taking matters into their own hands as the government has failed to. This was always a risk and one we are seeing come to fruition.

I hope the route map today’s enables us to get back to living some form of life but people need to be offered hope and very quickly. Otherwise this things will continue to fall apart and to even greater degree. 

Lockdown is doing more damage than good now imo and we have been failed massively by our government.

Agree with this post. And it will only get worse as the different regions have different responses , opening golf courses , fishing etc. That makes it harder for folk to follow government advice/rules.

jack D and coke
45 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

This probably won’t be a popular opinion here but........

The lockdown has clearly been breaking down over the last few weeks. People can only be locked up so long. That point has passed for many. 

I believe a lot of this breakdown is down to the government mismanaging its approach and poor messaging. 

The lockdown would have been adhered to better if people had been offered a bit more hope with easing of minor restrictions over the period. Lots of things could have been done with no impact to R number, yet they have consistently chosen not to. Instead they have stuck with a message that is well passed its sell by date and continually failed to offer any hope to the general population. Whilst the country has had amongst the most severe restrictions. 

This length of lockdown is a direct result of the governments failures. They have failed to address key areas and manage the message appropriately. As a result we are suffering unduly economically and socially, 

When you look at the numbers we are reporting, the fact peak passed in April, pretty much all of Europe opening up it’s really unsurprising lockdown is breaking down. What did people think would happen?

I’m sorry the time for being locked up has long passed. We are seeing people taking matters into their own hands as the government has failed to. This was always a risk and one we are seeing come to fruition.

I hope the route map today’s enables us to get back to living some form of life but people need to be offered hope and very quickly. Otherwise this things will continue to fall apart and to even greater degree. 

Lockdown is doing more damage than good now imo and we have been failed massively by our government.

Hard to disagree with any of that. 
Golf courses and other things like social bubbles must be offered very soon, probably from today. 
The more people you speak to the more you realise how close this is to completely falling apart. 

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Some tissues for the cry babies above, please. :cry: Let me oot!

:laugh:

vegas-voss
20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hard to disagree with any of that. 
Golf courses and other things like social bubbles must be offered very soon, probably from today. 
The more people you speak to the more you realise how close this is to completely falling apart. 

Golf courses have to be the easiest to open surely so simple to social distance.Will be a wee bit gutted as have loved taking the wee man round our course every morning seeing the deers and squirrels but it's better they are open for folk.

Sooperstar
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's pretty much unenforceable when there's that many people.

They don't enforce it a Tynecastle when there are 3800 manks causing mayhem 

Disagree. Get a megaphone, tell folk that they have 10 minutes to move on before fines start getting handed out. 10 minutes later start handing out the fines. Flood the place with Police, they're doing nothing else anyway. Quieter than they have ever been.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Golf courses have to be the easiest to open surely so simple to social distance.Will be a wee bit gutted as have loved taking the wee man round our course every morning seeing the deers and squirrels but it's better they are open for folk.

Aye lovely walk round the royal in this weather we’ve had lately. I’m looking forward to playing again myself though. The courses must be in amazing condition now, not a divot or mark on a green or anything. Can’t wait to start getting those bogeys again😐

vegas-voss

UK government looking/hoping to have holidays within the UK  by July.

Things are moving fast.I really think it's to give the economy a quick boost though before this comes back in the winter but hopefully not

Everybody in England and Wales has completely given up now, and pretty much has done for the last month. every public space has been rammed for the past month and loads of shops have stopped their men on the doors making you sanitise etc. 

They may as well call the lockdown/social distancing off entirely. If Johnson cant be ****ed attending the daliy briefs, then I cant be arsed following his advice. Just open everything back up as nobody is giving a flying **** now its sunny. 

If you go out and catch it and die, well, its your own fault. 

Brighton Jambo
33 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The government have done the absolute bare minimum from the start. Can't be bothered to make difficult decisions. They're maybe two steps above bolsonaro out campaigning for things to stay open. All they've done is grudgingly force a half lockdown, once it became apparent that this virus was already extremely widespread here and killing folk by the day, and covered 80% of wages of people who've been forced out of work.

Now they're having to just open up without a major plan and hope for the best even though we're still at a far worse point than we were at the start of 'lockdown' (363 deaths yesterday, that number was just unthinkable when lockdown started) because it's been 10 weeks and the numbers are only now starting to come down and folk are going out anyway. What's happening elsewhere in Europe is irrelevant. Numbers will ramp up again here in a few weeks. 

I don’t agree, as always it seems to be people are in the government all good or all bad camps.  The reality is somewhere in the middle.  

if you think that the furlough scheme and the self employed scheme and the other financial help provided is just the ‘bare minimum’ then you are either being deliberately disingenuous or don’t really understand the complexity involved in setting up and implementing in a matter of weeks.  Look at other countries in Europe or further afield and see what they have done, barely any compare in offering.   

In the history of government never have so many employees been essentially funded by the state - 27 million in total counting furlough and benefits and public sector workers.  

Certainly they have made mistakes but to say they are two steps behind Bolsonaro in messaging is laughable.  

UK “stay home, protect the NHS, save lives” locked down for weeks allowed to leave house once a day. 

Brazil “its a hoax and nothing more than a mild flu”

jack D and coke
Just now, Lord BJ said:

Unfortunately, no lifting of restriction today. 28 May at earliest and probably more likely the 1 June according to NS earlier in week. 

She could ease things with the golf I’m in no doubt about that but don’t expect it either. She better start hoping for some bad weather imo. 
So many people I’m speaking to all about had it. A glorious weekend and potential problems I reckon. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Everybody in England and Wales has completely given up now, and pretty much has done for the last month. every public space has been rammed for the past month and loads of shops have stopped their men on the doors making you sanitise etc. 

They may as well call the lockdown/social distancing off entirely. If Johnson cant be ****ed attending the daliy briefs, then I cant be arsed following his advice. Just open everything back up as nobody is giving a flying **** now its sunny. 

If you go out and catch it and die, well, its your own fault. 

I don’t want to get political but he’s an utter joke of a PM. Farcical state of affairs he’s got there. 
The chancellor should be PM and let us be rid of that absolute halfwit. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic