Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We didn't learn much up-to-date or current info at the Scottish briefing.    Mostly due to about 6 dumbasses wasting their question and the FM's time with about 6 rewordings of the same,   previously addressed question.     

24 hour 7 days a week .

Quantity over quality .

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Still going on about masks? Jesus wept.

The reason they are being talked about is that they fecked up testing. Here, we just hit 100 deaths today and it took 79 days to get here. Masks are not needed at all and the reason for that is that the level of community transmission is extremely low. Social distancing and hand hygiene are far more effective.

Now, we probably won't be going back to the office till July given the plan for easing restrictions here. When we do, I will NOT be wearing any mask on a train because the risk of catching it here is between 1 in 200,000 and 1 in 500,000 at present. I'll buy that risk.

The point of surgical masks as opposed to the more sophisticated medical masks isn't to stop you catching the virus, it's to reduce the chance you spread it unwittingly. The jury is still out on whether it's effective or not, but that's a different argument.

Edited by fancy a brew

Ehllhayapeh
2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I hit the proverbial wall with lockdown yesterday.  I can’t put my finger on why or what was different about yesterday that triggered it but I am so so fed up with it.  All the ‘Positives’ of time with kids and wife and no commuting etc have long since stopped feeling like the offset of being stuck in the house.   I honestly don’t know how I can manage another couple of weeks which is crazy as some easing up is Now coming but I just need to get out of this damn house!!!! 

Im the opposite. After 12 weeks of isolation Ive become institutionalised to it and dont really want to go back to the office after this. Id rather work from home at least 3 days out of 5 minimum.

Then again its also because mexico is opening up despite not peaking yet. They are opening areas with little or no cases. The problem is 70% of them have not seen one test in the whole time.

I have no desire go to out at all. In my mind I wont be happy to do so until september/october when this thing shouldve passed mostly.

Weakened Offender
48 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Fairly low numbers in Scotland again especially for a Tuesday when it tends to spike.

Open up the country tomorrow :P

Those low numbers are because plebs like you have been told what to do and had your whiney protests ignored. Thanks for complying, you'll have made a real difference, despite being too glaiket to know it. 👍

Edited by Weakened Offender

9 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Im the opposite. After 12 weeks of isolation Ive become institutionalised to it and dont really want to go back to the office after this. Id rather work from home at least 3 days out of 5 minimum.

Then again its also because mexico is opening up despite not peaking yet. They are opening areas with little or no cases. The problem is 70% of them have not seen one test in the whole time.

I have no desire go to out at all. In my mind I wont be happy to do so until september/october when this thing shouldve passed mostly.

Yeh this week has been a breakthrough for me. At first I didn't mind it, weeks 6 and 7 were tough and I just couldn't wait to go back to normal, now I quite like it. Stripped of all the distraction and pressure to do 'things' is nice. There's so much more time to really pay attention to the things you are doing and enjoy them properly. 

Nucky Thompson
53 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What were the numbers today?

61 new positive cases and 29 deaths

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Those low numbers are because plebs like you have been told what to do and had your whiney protests ignored. Thanks for complying, you'll have made a real difference, despite being too glaiket to know it. 👍

Internet warrior alert

The Internet
17 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

:lol:

AlimOzturk
28 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The reason this was started up on here today is because someone heard an expert say that face masks/coverings would reduce infection by 70/75%. I'm guessing they are basing this on something other than their opinion. I didn't hear this and have no idea if it is correct or not.

Your attitude on here about this crisis had been pretty selfish throughout IMHO.

Dunno how it has been selfish as I have pretty much adhered to every rule set out. Because I have alot of doubts about many of the aspects of the lockdown doesn't make me selfish at all. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

:lol:

Aye it's pretty easy to throw insults from behind your computer screen :lol:

******s like him are ten a penny

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

The conversations over DNACPR are warranted, though not everyone can cope with those types of call. Nor are all clinicians very good at doing it.

They are, however, entirely necessary and prudent.

Guess it comes down to interpersonal skills, though some patients will complain about everything

Agree the position is not so understood.

Based entirely on individual here. But where 'policies' become controversial. 

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I could probably get myself to a stage where I could wear it for a short period of time.  For example, short bus journeys and the such. However as I have said I would rather avoid them than wear a mask anyways. Out door just walking out my house? Absolutely no chance. I would go to the doctors and get them to give me a exemption. This isn't me trying to be a rebel...if folk want to wear a mask bash on. I couldnt. 

Wasn't that far back...even on this thread folk were mocking the Chinese and that for wearing them. Now, folks are being sarcastic pricks for people who dont want to wear them. (Not aimed at you btw)

Alim, I totally get where you are coming from. I can't breathe properly through my nose and it's an issue I've had for years. I had an op years ago but the nasal canals are too narrow, which is a surprise as I have a gigantic hooter. Taken on the job at Amazon and you have to wear a mask all day covering nose and mouth. The only time you're allowed to take it off is for drinking and eating.

My mates had told me this so in the week leading up to starting I started wearing a mask for a wee while at at time. Wore it in a safe environment i.e. in the house while watching TV etc. Just a few minutes and gradually built it up wearing it when out etc

First day I was a complete basket case. Couldn't concentrate during the training and the sweat was pouring off me. Whenever I had some space around me, it was slipped to the side and I was gulping in the air so to speak. I got there though

Only you knows how bad your situation is. No one here should be preaching to you but maybe this is something that could help you?

Hope so  

35 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

How to change minds and influence people type post

😄

Nucky Thompson

170 new deaths in England. Still too many but going in the right direction. 

3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Appreciate that 👍

Im convinced it’s not Covid because they have both been so unbelievably careful with lockdown but it’s still eating away at the back of my mind.

Fingers crossed. You take care, VM.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

170 new deaths in England. Still too many but going in the right direction. 

All going the right way now. 
I wish everyone could focus on these things and stop looking to make snide remarks about one government or another. 
It’s really drained me more and more but especially during this. So many more important things to worry about going forward. 
The time for picking fault and digging out this or that one in a situation we’ve never been through before is way, way down the line for me. 

doctor jambo
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Agree the position is not so understood.

Based entirely on individual here. But where 'policies' become controversial. 

Its not really a policy

as inependent sub-contractors ( GP's)  we initiaited doing this already as a matter of good practice, we merely accelerated this due to the pandemic- ie - who has one in place? Who should have one in place?

A matter of updating records, keeping patients informed of CHOICE in such matters-

some have declined it, some accepted it.

And yes, its a brutal conversation sometimes- enormously unsuccessful, painful and traumatic.

Even in the very unlikley event that you survive an out of hospital arrest, the broken ribs/collapsed lungs/ anoxic brain damage you can be left with can seriously decrease quality of life- and theses things need explained.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

All going the right way now. 
I wish everyone could focus on these things and stop looking to make snide remarks about one government or another. 
It’s really drained me more and more but especially during this. So many more important things to worry about going forward. 
The time for picking fault and digging out this or that one in a situation we’ve never been through before is way, way down the line for me. 

Agreed. I'm just going to focus my energy on looking for positives from now on :thumb:

Politics can go on the back burner 

By far the most important stats / estimates right now are :

Prevalence of infection

Rates of new infections

As we're getting near to easing lockdown,   these things are everything.    IC cases and deaths are important of course and these numbers are reducing,   but the here and now is all about how infection is spreading.

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

By far the most important stats / estimates right now are :

Prevalence of infection

Rates of new infections

As we're getting near to easing lockdown,   these things are everything.    IC cases and deaths are important of course and these numbers are reducing,   but the here and now is all about how infection is spreading.

The rates of new infections have been really low in Scotland for the last few days. I thought it would have been a lot higher today taking into account the lag in weekend reporting

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The rates of new infections have been really low in Scotland for the last few days. I thought it would have been a lot higher today taking into account the lag in weekend reporting

Seems to be moving along quite well.   It seems to me that the SG are keen to build in as much wiggle room as possible in order to be able to absorb any increase of infection as the taps are turned on.     We'll also be in a position to monitor what happens in other countries ahead of our own actions.

I think the overly cautious way is good because the ability to react to increasing spread does not appear to be at all easy.    I could see it being difficult to react quickly enough to suppress things again.    

jack D and coke
27 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Agreed. I'm just going to focus my energy on looking for positives from now on :thumb:

Politics can go on the back burner 

👍🏼

Vlad Magic

Thanks guys

Really appreciate the positive comments.

Its definitely NOT Covid related. The hospital didn’t even test for it. Temps and breathing all normal. No other symptoms of Covid which is brilliant so I’m feeling better on that front.

The tests have shown up a problem with one of his lungs so they are keeping him in overnight and running an MRI on the lungs to try and get to the bottom of it.

It is entirely possible that our initial concerns about being DVT related are correct.

He seems chirpy enough and looking forward to getting out tomorrow.

Been a day to forget.

Wishing everyone safety and good health.

👍👍👍 

vegas-voss

Rishi painting a bleak picture of levels  of unemployment by the end of the year.

Edited by vegas-voss

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Rishi painting a bleak picture of levels  of unemployment by the end of the year.

It's going to be horrendous. Furlough is just masking what's coming.

Hopefully the bounce back will be quick, but I reckon it's going to be a painful couple of years for some

vegas-voss
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's going to be horrendous. Furlough is just masking what's coming.

Hopefully the bounce back will be quick, but I reckon it's going to be a painful couple of years for some

He doesn't seem to think it will be.At least he isnt laying out false hope though.

coconut doug
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I've been sitting for the last hour or so thinking why I feel Scot Gov have handled it differently?

You raise great points too and I'll try to answer them. 

The care home fiasco is UK wide and Scot Gov will need to face a real reckoning on this, along with the care sector private and public. 

Testing - UK Gov set themselves up to fail by setting unrealistic targets the fudging the numbers day to day. From what I've read there's an acceptance that Scotland needs to test more and it has been slow in setting up the geographical testing stations away from the central belt. 

Lockdown is a tough one as the powers were not available to anyone until the bill passed Westminster. Again something that needs addressed between WM and the devolved authorities.

Furlough/small business - I've said from the off that this is one area where there is little to criticise. Sunak has been all over this, much to his credit. 

Actually your last paragraph nails why I think it's been handled better. It's clarity of message. The confidence that breeds that they're doing it right. 

The UK Gov were out the blocks fast with the daily briefing but that has morphed into a party political broadcast and an exercise of data manipulation to obfuscate the bad news and completely over egg the good news. 

Sturgeon, to her credit, has stood up every day since the off at 12.30 and delivered the facts first and foremost. Sometimes the what she/they're doing about them has been right, sometimes wrong but everyday she fronts up and faces the music. 

I think this is even more relevant since England decided to break step with rUK by going early with lockdown relaxation. 

So to summarise, you've unearthed my deep seated mistrust of this government and their handling of this situation and up until a week past Sunday that was based on visibility of leader/minister and clarity of message, despite it often being the same. 

While i agree with almost all of this it doesn't explain why the death rate in England is about 50% higher than in Scotland. Scotland's figures are not good but why are England's so much worse. 

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Seems to be moving along quite well.   It seems to me that the SG are keen to build in as much wiggle room as possible in order to be able to absorb any increase of infection as the taps are turned on.     We'll also be in a position to monitor what happens in other countries ahead of our own actions.

I think the overly cautious way is good because the ability to react to increasing spread does not appear to be at all easy.    I could see it being difficult to react quickly enough to suppress things again.    

Down here in the Borders, we seem to have got on top of it, the infection rate seems to be negligible now, there are less than 30 people in hospital and not even a handful in ICU.   Even care homes haven't seen the same problems that other parts of the UK has seen, according to travellingtabby there has only been 3 deaths in care homes linked to covid-19 in the entire Borders region, bare in mind that the Borders has a pretty high number of elderly people who have retired to the area, so I think as a region the Scottish Borders has done really well in containing this thing. 

Of course being mainly a rural setting with a low population density has really helped us here as well.

At the BGH, they had 4 wards set aside for covid patients with a 5th as back-up, I do not believe it was needed, indeed capacity in the covid wards and ICU was never breached, that doesn't mean it didn't get any less frantic and at times scary because it did, but they managed to stay on top of things.

And now things are slowly beginning to return back to some sort of normality with wards which had been used for covid patients being returned back to their original purpose as they are no longer needed for covid.  I think the plan is to keep two wards for covid, of course others can be drafted in if needed.

So things are definitely moving in the right direction in this part of the country.

JudyJudyJudy
16 hours ago, kila said:

Potential good news for stoners:

Great news !Id read about this before. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Face covering are nothing to do with offering the wearer any protection. Wearing a mask doesn’t  make the wearer any safer, it’s more a courtesy method to prevent you spreading your germs in certain environments. Predominately when you cough, sneeze etc.

Can’t say its something I particularly want to do but if asked to wear one in shops or certain environments so be it. It is what it is.

I don’t like it but I’m doing and going to continue to be doing a lot of stuff I don’t really want to. Haven’t wanted to be locked up like I was under house arrest for 10 weeks for a start!

I do have concerns over the fear factor and measures being excessive in connection to the risk. I do think the message, particularly in Scotland, needs to be shifting.

At the beginning of the CV i was paranoid as most people wear. Cleaning like crazy , masks . plastic glasses and gloves on when out * when I did go out. However through time i've became more chilled about it all and relaxed.  I only wear my mask if going to the supermarket.  I can understand how some feel they are quite restrictive but I feel safer wearing one even if it doesn't help a massive amount. 

18 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

While i agree with almost all of this it doesn't explain why the death rate in England is about 50% higher than in Scotland. Scotland's figures are not good but why are England's so much worse. 

The reports suggest a difference, stating Scotland's behind the curve and point out different population densities. In reality I think there's not all that much  difference, and it varies  depending on region

13th May Scotland reporting 5.72 (average) deaths per 10,000. In England / Wales around  39,00 deaths from around 56 million is around 7 in every 10,000 (unless my maths is way off).  That's not 50% higher, and if you look at the worst region in Scotland (Invercclyde) the death toll is 13 per 10,000 - way higher than England.

Different geographical death rates,  point towards wealth & poverty unfortunately.

Lee_Mellon
29 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Death rates in the BAME communities are twice that of whites. England has a much higher BAME population than Scotland.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Thanks guys

Its definitely NOT Covid related. The hospital didn’t even test for it. Temps and breathing all normal. No other symptoms of Covid which is brilliant so I’m feeling better on that front.

The tests have shown up a problem with one of his lungs so they are keeping him in overnight and running an MRI on the lungs to try and get to the bottom of it.

It is entirely possible that our initial concerns about being DVT related are correct.

Been a day to forget.

👍👍👍 

Good to hear everything is reasonably fine.

I thought admissions were supposed to be tested for the virus. 

10 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I just flicked to itv this morning and caught some women saying if 70% of people wear a face covering which is 70% effective according to modelling that is sufficient to take the R number below 1 on its own. 

That can’t be right?

Anyone see it to clarify?

You are right it can't be right but still let people spout nonsense then watch other pretend its the truth and then the sheep in the population follow on

Wear masks if you want just don't start telling others they are wrong not to do so (and that is not aimed at you directly)

Q: "What's happening with the harvest, seeing as no overseas workers are coming over?"

A: "Furloughed workers can help out like it's a second job"

Do these spangles have any idea what kind of commitment it takes to work the fields at harvest time?

It's not a part time job fora bit of extra pocket money.

It's very long hours and you more or less have to live on-site.

And even after the pandemic passes and the borders are shut, how do they expect to bring in the harvest each year?

Something that was discussed a week or so ago.  Security concerns raised about the tracing app being trialled in Isle of Wight.  Also discusses the centralised (which NHS is doing) vs decentralised option and the danger that your data will be used long after you remove the app.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52725810?xtor=AL-72-[partner]-[bbc.news.twitter]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_custom4=DA1F6088-99F1-11EA-AE09-6E9B4744363C&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom2=twitter&at_medium=custom7&at_campaign=64&at_custom3=%40BBCNews

Will definitely make folk wary about using the app and subsequently the effectiveness of it.

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Cade said:

Q: "What's happening with the harvest, seeing as no overseas workers are coming over?"

A: "Furloughed workers can help out like it's a second job"

Do these spangles have any idea what kind of commitment it takes to work the fields at harvest time?

It's not a part time job fora bit of extra pocket money.

It's very long hours and you more or less have to live on-site.

And even after the pandemic passes and the borders are shut, how do they expect to bring in the harvest each year?

It won't effect their furlough money and it's a chance to earn extra cash.

Granted it won't be for everyone, but I'm sure a bit of hard work won't put loads of people off.

This is only while there's a pandemic and it's hard to move a lot of people from abroad

I don't know why you think this is a bad thing

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It won't effect their furlough money and it's a chance to earn extra cash.

Granted it won't be for everyone, but I'm sure a bit of hard work won't put loads of people off.

This is only while there's a pandemic and it's hard to move a lot of people from abroad

I don't know why you think this is a bad thing

It's not a bad thing to suggest furloughed workers can help. It is, however, utterly naive to think there'll be sufficient numbers. 

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

It's not a bad thing to suggest furloughed workers can help. It is, however, utterly naive to think there'll be sufficient numbers. 

Maybe not. The new pick for Britain website crashed moments after Eustice announced it.

I hope they do get the numbers

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Thanks guys

Been a day to forget.

👍👍👍 

Good to hear. 

The "we'll easily find enough people to go and howk tatties" thing is not new from this government.

Remember when Priti Patel claimed there were millions of workers available but she'd counted retired people, disabled people, stay at home parents and long term care providers in her gobshite figures?

They haven't got a clue how to replace the massive foreign seasonal workforce.

They'll just end up with a Yank-style slave labour prison chain gang workforce out in the fields.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

The "we'll easily find enough people to go and howk tatties" thing is not new from this government.

Remember when Priti Patel claimed there were millions of workers available but she'd counted retired people, disabled people, stay at home parents and long term care providers in her gobshite figures?

They haven't got a clue how to replace the massive foreign seasonal workforce.

They'll just end up with a Yank-style slave labour prison chain gang workforce out in the fields.

Theres over 2 million unemployed.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic