Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

30 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

It's not claimed they stop the virus, just that they reduce the spread. To use your analogy, if someone farted one inch from your face, would you prefer them to be wearing jeans?

At least the jeans would catch any solids that happened to escape!

Aw come on I'm eating man ffs

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vegas-voss
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It seems the science disputes it in quite a lot of places too. For frontline like nurses etc I can see the point, them being changed regularly and stuff but for joe public it’s a no. I don’t like the look of them tbh. Induces a paranoia of each other that I don’t like. That somehow people are carrying a plague when the chances are we’ve all been exposed to it for a few months anyway. I’d only be annoyed if someone was coughing or sneezing in proximity to people tbh. 
Not having a pop at anyone who wants to wear one but I don’t like where this is going. 

Nobody likes where it's going but folk are starting to moan about lockdown not easing ( quite entitled to in most cases on here ) so if there is something that can get us back to normal more quicker then when not do it.You never wore a scarf ?

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Chaps said:

This is bad form for Smith. This is a national broadcaster. Basically giving people the excuse to flaunt the advice and do what they want imo. 

The Internet

I liked how the Germans had the subs wearing them during the matches at the weekend. Such a token gesture :lol: probably just for awareness as they've enforced it for the public to varying degrees but still.

We can all just pull the top of our jackets or t shirts up above our mouth and noses. Literally any face covering is accepted, doesn't have to be masks. 

jack D and coke
Just now, vegas-voss said:

Nobody likes where it's going but folk are starting to moan about lockdown not easing ( quite entitled to in most cases on here ) so if there is something that can get us back to normal more quicker then when not do it.You never wore a scarf ?

Of course I have mate but personally I just don’t like where it’s going. Everyone scared of other people isn’t healthy imo. Of course you need to be sensible but there has to be a time when people don’t do this or nothing ever goes back to normal. That’s my concern. 

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I liked how the Germans had the subs wearing them during the matches at the weekend. Such a token gesture :lol: probably just for awareness as they've enforced it for the public to varying degrees but still.

We can all just pull the top of our jackets or t shirts up above our mouth and noses. Literally any face covering is accepted, doesn't have to be masks. 

Totally pointless

49 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

What, the police going to go around arresting folk for not wearing a facemask? The UK government going to supply an endless amounts of masks for folks to wear? Can't even get enough PPE for the NHS haha

This situation is getting in such a fear that they are just willing to throw away their basic freedoms. Imagine not being allowed in public because you aren't wearing a facemask ffs

Just say that out loud to yourself. 

I understand what your saying but we “throw away” basic freedoms on a daily basis. We are not allowed outside without clothes on, can’t get in to certain places without specific dress code etc. Is being made to wear a face mask in public so much more intrusive / freedom limiting than being made to wear clothes in public. 

21 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's what I mean, my wife, bless her wee cotton sock, was at the sewing machine yesterday and made her self a mask in a poka dot pattern material, cant see it being any use at all.

I’ve posted this before but might be worth a look:

https://www.virustaticshield.com

@AlimOzturk if it is specifically a mask you you are phobic of, would a snood like the one posted above be of any use? I got one through work and they are pretty breathable

vegas-voss
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Of course I have mate but personally I just don’t like where it’s going. Everyone scared of other people isn’t healthy imo. Of course you need to be sensible but there has to be a time when people don’t do this or nothing ever goes back to normal. That’s my concern. 

We just differ I can't say I'm scared of anyone in a mask actually feel better about them wearing them.

As for don't do this there is hardly anybody doing it maybe for a short time if the majority did use them things would be back to normal quicker

Edited by vegas-voss

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Not necessarily true. He refused to have his family drawn into a political argument, something he was pretty consistent about, and declined to reveal whether the youngest had had his MMR jab. 

I don't know any anti-vaxxers and haven't studied them or their arguments. Do they tend to believe (as was the case around 1999/2000) that a vaccine can have a link to another ailment? The chart about MMR was that the triple jab increased the risk of autism. Or is their thing more broad that vaccines just ain't natural? 

From what I can tell many seem to be either alt right of far left.

Then there are sort of well educated hippies.

There are some serious voices saying a lot although imnot sure how serious they are taken.

Ailments are quite severe according to the often anecdotal stiff I've seen.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

We just differ I can't say I'm scared of anyone in a mask actually feel better about them wearing them.

As for don't do this there is hardly anybody doing it maybe for a short time if the majority did use them things would be back to normal quicker

Im not scared of anyone in a mask its them that’s scared surely but if that makes them feel safer then ok. 
I don’t like it though. When do they feel safe to take it off? 

Vlad Magic

Currently sat outside A n E whilst they assess my Dad. Absolutely shitting myself.

He and mum are 70’s and high risk from previous health conditions. Both have been in complete lockdown since the very beginning but he woke this morning struggling to breathe.

Its possibly related to a previous DVT he had after a long flight but we won’t know anything till all tests are carried out and results back.

Feeling extremely upset right now.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Sound like I'm preaching don't mean to so sorry will leave the mask chat alone.

Not how I took it man. We’ve all got opinions👍🏼

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Not how I took it man. We’ve all got opinions👍🏼

When I start to feel like it's heading that way in my own head it's time to stop though 😂

The Internet
8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It's only been a couple of months and things are starting to open up around the world again. We will eventually get back to pretty much how it was before (whether that's a good thing or not is up for debate). There will be changes, mainly around how we work, and hopefully it makes for a cleaner place in general, but we'll learn to live with it, there will be treatments and with any luck a working vaccine. It's not going to just be like this forever. 

vegas-voss
2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Currently sat outside A n E whilst they assess my Dad. Absolutely shitting myself.

He and mum are 70’s and high risk from previous health conditions. Both have been in complete lockdown since the very beginning but he woke this morning struggling to breathe.

Its possibly related to a previous DVT he had after a long flight but we won’t know anything till all tests are carried out and results back.

Hopefully it is DVT.

vegas-voss

Something I don't get my brother has been off for 12 weeks.He got the letter to say so but has heard nothing about what to do in continued lockdown so is just going back to work June 2nd.Seems strange to me shield yourself then just go back everything is all right now without a word to say otherwise.He actually looks worse than before lockdown as he seems to have put on about 2 stone in weight on his face alone 😂

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

When I start to feel like it's heading that way in my own head it's time to stop though 😂

It’s a subject fairly easy to get wound up about let’s be honest😄

7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's only been a couple of months and things are starting to open up around the world again. We will eventually get back to pretty much how it was before (whether that's a good thing or not is up for debate). There will be changes, mainly around how we work, and hopefully it makes for a cleaner place in general, but we'll learn to live with it, there will be treatments and with any luck a working vaccine. It's not going to just be like this forever. 

Yeah I hope so man. I’m at the stage the lockdown has went on too long personally but maybe that’s just a natural frustration at things not being “normal”. 

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Face covering are nothing to do with offering the wearer any protection. Wearing a mask doesn’t  make the wearer any safer, it’s more a courtesy method to prevent you spreading your germs in certain environments. Predominately when you cough, sneeze etc.

Can’t say its something I particularly want to do but if asked to wear one in shops or certain environments so be it. It is what it is.

I don’t like it but I’m doing and going to continue to be doing a lot of stuff I don’t really want to. Haven’t wanted to be locked up like I was under house arrest for 10 weeks for a start!

I do have concerns over the fear factor and measures being excessive in connection to the risk. I do think the message, particularly in Scotland, needs to be shifting.

This is where I am, I really don’t want to but if it helps get back to normal quicker a price I will pay.  

if they told me I had to wear a mask to be allowed in a pub I would wear three to make sure!! 

Vlad Magic
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

If they have been isolating its very unlikely to be covid. Hopefully get the issue sorted and get him back home safe as soon as practical.

Stay strong for your folks👍

Appreciate that 👍

Im convinced it’s not Covid because they have both been so unbelievably careful with lockdown but it’s still eating away at the back of my mind.

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s a subject fairly easy to get wound up about let’s be honest😄

Yeah I hope so man. I’m at the stage the lockdown has went on too long personally but maybe that’s just a natural frustration at things not being “normal”. 

I hit the proverbial wall with lockdown yesterday.  I can’t put my finger on why or what was different about yesterday that triggered it but I am so so fed up with it.  All the ‘Positives’ of time with kids and wife and no commuting etc have long since stopped feeling like the offset of being stuck in the house.   I honestly don’t know how I can manage another couple of weeks which is crazy as some easing up is Now coming but I just need to get out of this damn house!!!! 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I just don’t see what you can base that assertion on at all.  

slow to lockdown, failure to increase testing capacity, failure to secure PPE, failure in care homes, 

all things the UK government has been rightly criticised for but which the Scottish government deserves absolutely equal criticism, they have done no better than the UK government on any of it.

I think Scottish government has done better on clarity of message and I think Sturgeon has been the most impressive minister of any party along with the chancellor.

the Uk government also developed and implemented the furlough, self employed business grant scheme etc.  This has been a success and worked well and UK government deserves real credit for that.  

other than the recent clarity of messaging and caution of exit lockdown (easier to be clear when not actually exiting lockdown) I am not sure other than sturgeons personal performance what the Scottish government have done that is better than UK government.  That isn’t a loaded question but a genuine one as to what I have overlooked. 

edit: to be fair I think Scottish government collation and use of data has been better.  

I've been sitting for the last hour or so thinking why I feel Scot Gov have handled it differently?

You raise great points too and I'll try to answer them. 

The care home fiasco is UK wide and Scot Gov will need to face a real reckoning on this, along with the care sector private and public. 

Testing - UK Gov set themselves up to fail by setting unrealistic targets the fudging the numbers day to day. From what I've read there's an acceptance that Scotland needs to test more and it has been slow in setting up the geographical testing stations away from the central belt. 

Lockdown is a tough one as the powers were not available to anyone until the bill passed Westminster. Again something that needs addressed between WM and the devolved authorities.

Furlough/small business - I've said from the off that this is one area where there is little to criticise. Sunak has been all over this, much to his credit. 

Actually your last paragraph nails why I think it's been handled better. It's clarity of message. The confidence that breeds that they're doing it right. 

The UK Gov were out the blocks fast with the daily briefing but that has morphed into a party political broadcast and an exercise of data manipulation to obfuscate the bad news and completely over egg the good news. 

Sturgeon, to her credit, has stood up every day since the off at 12.30 and delivered the facts first and foremost. Sometimes the what she/they're doing about them has been right, sometimes wrong but everyday she fronts up and faces the music. 

I think this is even more relevant since England decided to break step with rUK by going early with lockdown relaxation. 

So to summarise, you've unearthed my deep seated mistrust of this government and their handling of this situation and up until a week past Sunday that was based on visibility of leader/minister and clarity of message, despite it often being the same. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I hit the proverbial wall with lockdown yesterday.  I can’t put my finger on why or what was different about yesterday that triggered it but I am so so fed up with it.  All the ‘Positives’ of time with kids and wife and no commuting etc have long since stopped feeling like the offset of being stuck in the house.   I honestly don’t know how I can manage another couple of weeks which is crazy as some easing up is Now coming but I just need to get out of this damn house!!!! 

There isn’t really any positives imo it’s people trying to put a spin on a shit situation I reckon :lol: 

Ive been working again last couple of weeks and that has helped me massively. 
Nowhere to go, nothing to really do for that amount of time was really pushing it. Drinking too much doesn’t help at all either but there was feck all else to do most nights🍻🥳
It would be easy to be raging that NS has kept Scotland in lockdown a bit longer but I guess that will become clearer in the next few months whether it was the right or wrong thing to do. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Still going on about masks? Jesus wept.

The reason they are being talked about is that they fecked up testing. Here, we just hit 100 deaths today and it took 79 days to get here. Masks are not needed at all and the reason for that is that the level of community transmission is extremely low. Social distancing and hand hygiene are far more effective.

Now, we probably won't be going back to the office till July given the plan for easing restrictions here. When we do, I will NOT be wearing any mask on a train because the risk of catching it here is between 1 in 200,000 and 1 in 500,000 at present. I'll buy that risk.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Whatever said:

Shameful indeed.

She’s been absolutely reckt on twitter over it.

Cow.

She's a vile bitch. 

Jambo-Jimbo
31 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Face covering are nothing to do with offering the wearer any protection. Wearing a mask doesn’t  make the wearer any safer, it’s more a courtesy method to prevent you spreading your germs in certain environments. Predominately when you cough, sneeze etc.

Can’t say its something I particularly want to do but if asked to wear one in shops or certain environments so be it. It is what it is.

I don’t like it but I’m doing and going to continue to be doing a lot of stuff I don’t really want to. Haven’t wanted to be locked up like I was under house arrest for 10 weeks for a start!

I do have concerns over the fear factor and measures being excessive in connection to the risk. I do think the message, particularly in Scotland, needs to be shifting.

1. That was why the Japanese began to wear face masks years and years ago in public and at work, as a courtesy to their fellow commuters and work colleagues, that when they had a cold etc they wouldn't spread it onto to other people.  Over the years though it's sprouted arms and legs, into what it is today.

2. Airports and airlines will most probably require people to wear face coverings whilst inside the airport terminal (Manchester is doing this) and whilst onboard the aircraft, Wizz Air is doing this, and expect Easyjet, Jet2 & Ryanair to follow suit as well.

As much as I don't relish the prospect of wearing a face mask especially onboard a plane, the simple fact will be if I want to go on a plane, it looks increasingly likely I'd have to wear a face mask/covering, or I won't be allowed to get on the plane.  The UK boss of Wizz air said this very thing the other week, no mask, you won't be allowed on the plane, they will refuse you entry.

John Gentleman
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The reason they are being talked about is that they fecked up testing. Here, we just hit 100 deaths today and it took 79 days to get here. Masks are not needed at all and the reason for that is that the level of community transmission is extremely low. Social distancing and hand hygiene are far more effective.

Now, we probably won't be going back to the office till July given the plan for easing restrictions here. When we do, I will NOT be wearing any mask on a train because the risk of catching it here is between 1 in 200,000 and 1 in 500,000 at present. I'll buy that risk.

Social distancing Geoff? I nipped round to JBhifi to grab a couple of things. They had one door dedicated to ingress and the other, egress. Inside the the store folk were in each other's faces. Just as well we have have a low infection rate.

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Good post. 

I am not going to mock anyone for wearing a mask or covering their face but it isn't something I'll be doing. For reason mentioned before and also I feel it is totally unnecessary. This is my opinion but I respect the reasons others feel the need to do it. 

I also agree with what Jack D has said with regards to fear and panic. We are going to have to move on from this and face masks for me just show paranoia. Folk wearing surgical gloves as well...surely they are just spreading germs rather than helping?

AlimOzturk
43 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

There isn’t really any positives imo it’s people trying to put a spin on a shit situation I reckon :lol: 

Ive been working again last couple of weeks and that has helped me massively. 
Nowhere to go, nothing to really do for that amount of time was really pushing it. Drinking too much doesn’t help at all either but there was feck all else to do most nights🍻🥳
It would be easy to be raging that NS has kept Scotland in lockdown a bit longer but I guess that will become clearer in the next few months whether it was the right or wrong thing to do. 

How has business been mate?

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not sure if you have to register for this 

The conversations over DNACPR are warranted, though not everyone can cope with those types of call. Nor are all clinicians very good at doing it.

They are, however, entirely necessary and prudent.

Guess it comes down to interpersonal skills, though some patients will complain about everything

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

How has business been mate?

Not anything startling tbh but back doing stuff which is main thing mate. 
What about you? Had any luck?

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Fingers crossed for you and your folks, Vlad. 

50 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You could be right after reading it back. If he wasn't then I will apologise. Like you said hard to tell. 

My cousin suffers from the same phobia. Three walls of her tiny living room has murals of an open landscape, seascape and the telly wall has an infinity fantasy backdrop, the later looks like a migraine aura, but it soothes her anxiety.

I've seen first hand how debilitating this phobia can be. Sarcasm wasn't my intention, but I can see how my post could be interpreted as such, no need for apologising. In future, I'll make sure to remove any doubt from my sincere posts...:thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

You're really comparing Australia and the UK ? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

You're really comparing Australia and the UK ? 

I'm comparing in terms of handling, yes. For example, I didn't know that the UK was not quarantining all travellers until last week despite lockdown. That made no sense at all. It was the best thing Australia did. Also, the state and federal governments have been reasonably consistent and trying not to shit on each other to score points. 

AlimOzturk
15 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

My cousin suffers from the same phobia. Three walls of her tiny living room has murals of an open landscape, seascape and the telly wall has an infinity fantasy backdrop, the later looks like a migraine aura, but it soothes her anxiety.

I've seen first hand how debilitating this phobia can be. Sarcasm wasn't my intention, but I can see how my post could be interpreted as such, no need for apologising. In future, I'll make sure to remove any doubt from my sincere posts...:thumbsup:

Ah right man no worries. I'll apologise anyways shouldn't have jumped the gun. 👍

It isn't like a debilitating thing for me..for example I can go in lifts and enclosed spaces and whilst feeling uncomfortable it doesn't stop me. 

The thought of having a mask over and mouth and nose though gives me the fear. 😂

2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'm comparing in terms of handling, yes. For example, I didn't know that the UK was not quarantining all travellers until last week despite lockdown. That made no sense at all. It was the best thing Australia did. Also, the state and federal governments have been reasonably consistent and trying not to shit on each other to score points. 

I see your Barley industry is now in serious danger.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I see your Barley industry is now in serious danger.

Aye, because Winnie The Pooh doesn't like the idea of an inquiry.

Nucky Thompson

Fairly low numbers in Scotland again especially for a Tuesday when it tends to spike.

Open up the country tomorrow :P

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It looks as though the virus was already spreading quickly through communities in the UK in February, possibly even January. People travelled to Wuhan and back between Dec. and March. people travelled to and from Italy, Spain and France during this period. 5 Million people visited London alone between Dec. and Feb. Unfortunately the UK was ****ed because of its position in Europe and in a global economy. I don't believe closing the borders in March would have made any difference. Having a well resourced and rehearsed pandemic plan would have made a difference but there was always going to be a very high mortality rate.

The Internet
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What were the numbers today?

29 deaths, 59 in intensive care (decrease of 4 from yesterday). 

AlimOzturk

Looking positive now tbh. All the numbers are going in the right direction. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

It looks as though the virus was already spreading quickly through communities in the UK in February, possibly even January. People travelled to Wuhan and back between Dec. and March. people travelled to and from Italy, Spain and France during this period. 5 Million people visited London alone between Dec. and Feb. Unfortunately the UK was ****ed because of its position in Europe and in a global economy. I don't believe closing the borders in March would have made any difference. Having a well resourced and rehearsed pandemic plan would have made a difference but there was always going to be a very high mortality rate.

That is undoubtedly true and I'm not trying to be a Monday Morning Quarterback about it but at least focusing on testing would have helped and trying to slow influx to allow that to happen. Hence my point about the level of community spread in terms of an untraceable source.

2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

That is undoubtedly true and I'm not trying to be a Monday Morning Quarterback about it but at least focusing on testing would have helped and trying to slow influx to allow that to happen. Hence my point about the level of community spread in terms of an untraceable source.

Test and Trace may have helped but it was all fire fighting.

We didn't learn much up-to-date or current info at the Scottish briefing.    Mostly due to about 6 dumbasses wasting their question and the FM's time with about 6 rewordings of the same,   previously addressed question.     

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

This is where I am, I really don’t want to but if it helps get back to normal quicker a price I will pay.  

if they told me I had to wear a mask to be allowed in a pub I would wear three to make sure!! 

🍺🍺🍺👍

Hey journalists!!!  You don't have a unique insight into the Nike conference issue and you are not the chosen one to blindly stumble upon a smoking gun revelation.    How about asking a question to drill down into the details of how and when lockdown will be eased.

Like... ask something of use to the viewer.    Do your ****ing job.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic