• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, jake said:

Remember Tony Blair didnt get his kids mmr vaccines.

Not necessarily true. He refused to have his family drawn into a political argument, something he was pretty consistent about, and declined to reveal whether the youngest had had his MMR jab. 

I don't know any anti-vaxxers and haven't studied them or their arguments. Do they tend to believe (as was the case around 1999/2000) that a vaccine can have a link to another ailment? The chart about MMR was that the triple jab increased the risk of autism. Or is their thing more broad that vaccines just ain't natural? 

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

SNP can do no wrong

As always

Nope. 

They get some of it right and some of it wrong. I can see that and I'm more than happy to call them out.

During this Pandemic, and with one hand tied behind their back, they've stood head and shoulders above No.10 and the Conservative government. 

Montgomery Brewster
8 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I have SATURDAY 4th July as D Day

Drinking day for all in the UK…..I think it could be messy especially if the pubs manage to get the social distancing down to 1 metre inside the pub itself

It could be ticket only at your local...that is if your local has survived.

Unlikely in Scotland . Hotels currently gearing up for mid July reopening 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I just flicked to itv this morning and caught some women saying if 70% of people wear a face covering which is 70% effective according to modelling that is sufficient to take the R number below 1 on its own. 

That can’t be right?

Anyone see it to clarify?

I read a scientific study yesterday that said wearing facemasks can stop the spread by 75%

vegas-voss
37 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I just flicked to itv this morning and caught some women saying if 70% of people wear a face covering which is 70% effective according to modelling that is sufficient to take the R number below 1 on its own. 

That can’t be right?

Anyone see it to clarify?

If everybody wore one it would def help.Seems pointless when you see only a handful of folk wearing them in supermarkets or one or two on the bus as it's to prevent you passing it to others not to stop you getting it.

vegas-voss
34 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I read a scientific study yesterday that said wearing facemasks can stop the spread by 75%

Again it needs everybody to take it up or the vast majority anyway.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Again it needs everybody to take it up or the vast majority anyway.

They should make it compulsory for public transport and shops

vegas-voss
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They should make it compulsory for public transport and shops

I think so 

26 minutes ago, Chaps said:

She said the word enjoy was a mistake and she meant to say embrace! She said it twice yesterday, afternoon and evening. Be interesting to see how this develops.

43 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

If everybody wore one it would def help.Seems pointless when you see only a handful of folk wearing them in supermarkets or one or two on the bus as it's to prevent you passing it to others not to stop you getting it.

I feel like a bit of an eejit wearing one going to the shops when there is only 1 or 2 others using them. But I remind myself it’s for everyone else’s benefit.

AlimOzturk
54 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Folk should show some responsibility they want restrictions ended start wearing masks in public.

Isn't that easy to get facemasks and I am not wearing them anyways. I am claustrophobic and I dunno what it is about facemasks but they seem to trigger that. Dunno if it because they restrict the air i can get In or the tightness round.my face. They just sound ****ing horrible.to wear 

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Mighty Thor
23 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

She said the word enjoy was a mistake and she meant to say embrace! She said it twice yesterday, afternoon and evening. Be interesting to see how this develops.

Shitehousery from the Government Press Office (Scotchland branch).

16 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Isn't that easy to get facemasks and I am not wearing them anyways. I am claustrophobic and I dunno what it is about facemasks but they seem to trigger that. Dunno if it because they restrict the air i can get In or the tightness round.my face. They just sound ****ing horrible.to wear 

The last ten weeks locked up, you've managed your phobia, well done.

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Nope. 

They get some of it right and some of it wrong. I can see that and I'm more than happy to call them out.

During this Pandemic, and with one hand tied behind their back, they've stood head and shoulders above No.10 and the Conservative government. 

I just don’t see what you can base that assertion on at all.  

slow to lockdown, failure to increase testing capacity, failure to secure PPE, failure in care homes, 

all things the UK government has been rightly criticised for but which the Scottish government deserves absolutely equal criticism, they have done no better than the UK government on any of it.

I think Scottish government has done better on clarity of message and I think Sturgeon has been the most impressive minister of any party along with the chancellor.

the Uk government also developed and implemented the furlough, self employed business grant scheme etc.  This has been a success and worked well and UK government deserves real credit for that.  

other than the recent clarity of messaging and caution of exit lockdown (easier to be clear when not actually exiting lockdown) I am not sure other than sturgeons personal performance what the Scottish government have done that is better than UK government.  That isn’t a loaded question but a genuine one as to what I have overlooked. 

edit: to be fair I think Scottish government collation and use of data has been better.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Similar here, can't stand anything covering my nose, mouth or even around my neck, been like that since childhood.

However if it were the rules then I'd have to bite the bullet and wear a face mask whether I liked it or not.

vegas-voss
32 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Doesn't need to be a mask.

Also if it's just a bus journey or nipping into a shop.Not suggesting you go a run just for use indoor public places

Edited by vegas-voss

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I feel like a bit of an eejit wearing one going to the shops when there is only 1 or 2 others using them. But I remind myself it’s for everyone else’s benefit.

I get that then I think about the frontline workers having to wear them and visors.

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The last ten weeks locked up, you've managed your phobia, well done.

Listen, I would literally have a panick attack if I put one of those things round my face for any length of time. In a big flat with open spaces, fine. So there is literally no need for being a sarcastic prick at something I can't control. 

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Listen, I would literally have a panick attack if I put one of those things round my face for any length of time. In a big flat with open spaces, fine. So there is literally no need for being a sarcastic prick at something I can't control. 

It's probably why they are not made compulsory then but still the vast majority could use them

AlimOzturk
7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Doesn't need to be a mask 

Thought we are meant to be socially distancing once this over anyways? Surely, keeping distance in an outdoor environment washing our hands and being sensible will be enough without having to go around covering our face all the time..

I possibly get it in a enclosed environment like buses or trains. If that was compulsory I would just avoid them. 

Wearing facemasks didn't stop the spread in China so I am not convinced by it anyways. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's probably why they are not made compulsory then but still the vast majority could use them

IMO it should be made compulsory unless you have medical proof to say otherwise.

Supermarkets and public transport only.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Thought we are meant to be socially distancing once this over anyways? Surely, keeping distance in an outdoor environment washing our hands and being sensible will be enough without having to go around covering our face all the time..

Wearing facemasks didn't stop the spread in China so I am not convinced by it anyways. 

How is a mask going to stop a virus when a fart can get through a pair of Jeans?

The Internet

If facemasks are so important they should be compulsory as they are in other countries, at least in shops and public transport. I'm skeptical as to how effective they actually are but many other countries have introduced this. 

AlimOzturk
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

IMO it should be made compulsory unless you have medical proof to say otherwise.

What, the police going to go around arresting folk for not wearing a facemask? The UK government going to supply an endless amounts of masks for folks to wear? Can't even get enough PPE for the NHS haha

This situation is getting in such a fear that they are just willing to throw away their basic freedoms. Imagine not being allowed in public because you aren't wearing a facemask ffs

Just say that out loud to yourself. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

What, the police going to go around arresting folk for not wearing a facemask? The UK government going to supply an endless amounts of masks for folks to wear? Can't even get enough PPE for the NHS haha

I’ve edited my post.

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

could you not try to overcome your fear by say initially putting one on for say 10 seconds while in your flat and then gradually increase the time until you become at least partially comfortable with them? i understand that for some things like this people will not be able to do it but you might surprise yourself

Jambo-Jimbo

Is this the start of the blame game, watch the video and you decide.

This was on Sky News this morning.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

How is a mask going to stop a virus when a fart can get through a pair of Jeans?

the particle size is key, that is why for frontline medical staff they need masks with specific filters as not all are effective

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

could you not try to overcome your fear by say initially putting one on for say 10 seconds while in your flat and then gradually increase the time until you become at least partially comfortable with them? i understand that for some things like this people will not be able to do it but you might surprise yourself

I could probably get myself to a stage where I could wear it for a short period of time.  For example, short bus journeys and the such. However as I have said I would rather avoid them than wear a mask anyways. Out door just walking out my house? Absolutely no chance. I would go to the doctors and get them to give me a exemption. This isn't me trying to be a rebel...if folk want to wear a mask bash on. I couldnt. 

Wasn't that far back...even on this thread folk were mocking the Chinese and that for wearing them. Now, folks are being sarcastic pricks for people who dont want to wear them. (Not aimed at you btw)

Edited by AlimOzturk

AlimOzturk

How many times has the advice changed on facemasks anyways? First we are told they the made no difference. Then we were told the had to be a certain type of mask. Then we were told they only needed them for essential workers. Now they are saying we should all wear a mask. 

Can't keep up

AlimOzturk
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’ve edited my post.

No worries man. That your opinion. I dont agree. 

11 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

This situation is getting in such a fear that they are just willing to throw away their basic freedoms. Imagine not being allowed in public because you aren't wearing a facemask ffs

Correct, it is incredible how many people are begging for a totalitarian state. 

vegas-voss
14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Supermarkets and public transport only.

Aye I would agree with that but as Alim said certain folk have phobias but I don't think it would be a huge amount.Also once more folk wore them it would take the stigma away as folk are worried about looking a tit.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

No worries man. That your opinion. I dont agree. 

👍

vegas-voss
5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

How many times has the advice changed on facemasks anyways? First we are told they the made no difference. Then we were told the had to be a certain type of mask. Then we were told they only needed them for essential workers. Now they are saying we should all wear a mask. 

Can't keep up

They make it up in the UK to suit agenda imo.They should have been advised from the start especially when you are shopping.

You are worried about your business so what if these help prevent the virus spreading and therefore we all get back to something much more normal quicker.You wouldnt want folk to wear a covering ?

Edited by vegas-voss

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, vegas-voss said:

Aye I would agree with that but as Alim said certain folk have phobias but I don't think it would be a huge amount.Also once more folk wore them it would take the stigma away as folk are worried about looking a tit.

Mind you some would maybe look better with a mask.

Brighton Jambo
26 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Are you sure he was being sarcastic?  I read that post as supportive of coping with a phobia during lockdown.  

vegas-voss
Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

Are you sure he was being sarcastic?  I read that post as supportive of coping with a phobia during lockdown.  

So did I actually but I can't tell on jkb sometimes

21 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's not claimed they stop the virus, just that they reduce the spread. To use your analogy, if someone farted one inch from your face, would you prefer them to be wearing jeans?

At least the jeans would catch any solids that happened to escape!

22 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the particle size is key, that is why for frontline medical staff they need masks with specific filters as not all are effective

That's what I mean, my wife, bless her wee cotton sock, was at the sewing machine yesterday and made her self a mask in a poka dot pattern material, cant see it being any use at all.

AlimOzturk
11 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

So did I actually but I can't tell on jkb sometimes

11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You could be right after reading it back. If he wasn't then I will apologise. Like you said hard to tell. 

38 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

That's why they are not compulsory. The government would have to supply them. Put on a Hearts Scarf.

jack D and coke
41 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I possibly get it in a enclosed environment like buses or trains. If that was compulsory I would just avoid them. 

It seems the science disputes it in quite a lot of places too. For frontline like nurses etc I can see the point, them being changed regularly and stuff but for joe public it’s a no. I don’t like the look of them tbh. Induces a paranoia of each other that I don’t like. That somehow people are carrying a plague when the chances are we’ve all been exposed to it for a few months anyway. I’d only be annoyed if someone was coughing or sneezing in proximity to people tbh. 
Not having a pop at anyone who wants to wear one but I don’t like where this is going. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic