Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Has to be some form of social distancing or we will just get wave after wave.I suppose Spain will tell us a lot as they are about to ease restrictions.

I agree, to keep the health service from collapsing. 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I agree, to keep the health service from collapsing. 

How they going to implement it though that is the question.

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Truncheon that's disguised as a black pudding. 😀

Ecky Thump!

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic, by the way. :smile:

The latest Scottish stats are in: https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/. Around 150 new cases, 9 more deaths, although the cases stat is artificially low due to missing data from two labs.

Travelling Tabby will have the charts up by 3pm: https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Edited by redjambo

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Ecky Thump!

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic, by the way. :smile:

The latest Scottish stats are in: https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/. 150 odd new cases, 9 more deaths, although the cases stats is artificially low due to missing data from two labs.

Travelling Tabby will have the charts up by 3pm: https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Is there still a lag with weekend numbers?

Just now, vegas-voss said:

How they going to implement it though that is the question.

I have no idea! But people will need to get back to normality.

Just now, ri Alban said:

Is there still a lag with weekend numbers?

There shouldn't be now, as far as I know.

May have been posted already - official number of new UK deaths down from 917 yesterday to 727 today. These might be people who first got ill around the time the restrictions started to tighten.

Still very high, but possibly passes for good news given the way things have been going.

Thunderstruck
23 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Is there any proof this virsus originated in wuhan?. 

This is a fairly easily readable summary of what the scientists are finding (or found, many years ago) - 

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/bats-behind-the-pandemic/

It links to a number of Papers including -

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.30.015008v1.full.pdf

Read and make your own mind up. 

23 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

As an eighty five year old who. is in the high risk categories I can easily say that this is the worst thing I have seen in my life. I lived through a war of course as a child one didn't totally understand it, but there was a hope that however it was it would end. I forget the chronology but we also went through a flu epidemic, polio, TB to some extent, and smallpox,  my main memory was of the vaccine that we received an injection for. You knew when someone had just been injected because they wore a red ribbon on their treated arm, because to be bumped on that arm was extremely painful. Aids, Hiv have all passed through. This is different for me, I am not afraid of the worst outcome of death , too old to worry, I am afraid of the life of self isolation becoming the norm, low shelves at stores, line ups and limits to people entering are all more like an occupied country in wartime. In local paper today City of Vancouver mayor talking about the City facing bankruptcy, the news from china about new cases confirms statements I have heard that until there is a vaccine, and possibly even after sudden surprise outbreaks could occur, everything tells me not to be afraid, and in a way I am not, but I am apprehensive about the future for us all and that does concern me.

Sadly, China has been lying and trying to suppress news of the outbreak before it became a pandemic.  I do not trust a word of the propoganda coming out of that country, and I hope there are serious repercussions economically from the rest of the world to it after we get things under control.

50 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Yup.

I'd be willing to wager that a fair chunk of us have already had it and put it down to the usual seasonal ailments.

As with most things, teatments for the worst affected will undoubtably improve as time goes on.

Are we back to Linda Lusardi again?

Remember that the daily death numbers released are not accurate nor representative of anything.

They are figures from hospitals only.

They are figures gathered with permission of the bereaved families only.

They contain deaths from a period between one day and several weeks ago.

They ignore deaths in care homes, at home or anywhere else.

They ignore deaths not ratified by family members.

Please do not try to read anything into these figures as they really mean nothing.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Remember that the daily death numbers released are not accurate nor representative of anything.

Please do not try to read anything into these figures as they really mean nothing.

Only in England

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

We probably agree they don't literally mean nothing, although I'd been forgetting about the likelihood of a weekend lag when I mentioned reduced deaths today. 

This suggests something closer to the real number may also be being recorded, but not given as the official figure:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/07/uk/coronavirus-uk-deaths-intl-gbr/index.html

45 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yeah a lot better now mate, sadly i think we are in this for the long haul. 

We seem to be learning more about this virsus everyday, quite scary it has three strains. 

Stay safe 👍

I don’t know enough about viruses to know if three strains is common in everyday viruses or not. I suppose it would depend on how distinct from one another they are, at least to some degree.  

Glad you’re feeling a bit better👍

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Sadly, China has been lying and trying to suppress news of the outbreak before it became a pandemic.  I do not trust a word of the propoganda coming out of that country, and I hope there are serious repercussions economically from the rest of the world to it after we get things under control.

Your understanding is based from a western news outlet yes/no? Propaganda covers the entire world, and it depends on which/who you ultimately believe, on the home front we have the BBC or those from a conservative background (is there a difference?) who we 'British' are 'led' to believe. Boris Johnson, Matt Hancock, Rees Mogg, Priti Patel or Doctor 1, Nurse 2, Doctor 2, Nurse 1, Daily Mail, Sun, the Express, who do we as the human race trust? Dramatic? Probably, Maybe, but I know who I trust, do you?

19 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Is there any proof this virsus originated in wuhan?. 

It's was suggested on here earlier that it could've possibly originated in Northern Italy, maybe it louped from a slice of Salami or Mortadella to human hosts then transferred to Wuhan China. Could this be a possibility, who knows?...:biggrin:

Just now, Old Blue Eyes said:

It's was suggested on here earlier that it could've possibly originated in Northern Italy, maybe it louped from a slice of Salami or Mortadella to human hosts then transferred to Wuhan China. Could this be a possibility, who knows?...:biggrin:

Does Italy have no bats? Ok!

6 minutes ago, corkie64 said:

Your understanding is based from a western news outlet yes/no? Propaganda covers the entire world, and it depends on which/who you ultimately believe, on the home front we have the BBC or those from a conservative background (is there a difference?) who we 'British' are 'led' to believe. Boris Johnson, Matt Hancock, Rees Mogg, Priti Patel or Doctor 1, Nurse 2, Doctor 2, Nurse 1, Daily Mail, Sun, the Express, who do we as the human race trust? Dramatic? Probably, Maybe, but I know who I trust, do you?

So anyone trying to expose the pandemic in December weren't brutally supressed by the totallitarian regime, allowing the virus to spread out of control?

I really don't get what point you are trying to make but the UK government have questions to answer also over their handling of the response as do all governments.  China could have prevented the problem but chose not to.

Edited by frankblack

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So anyone trying to expose the pandemic in December weren't brutally supressed by the totallitarian regime, allowing the virus to spread out of control?

I know who I trust do you?

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Not very good at it, are they. Probably trying to control the virus spread. And why not, they have experience.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not very good at it, are they. Probably trying to control the virus spread. And why not, they have experience.

China waited a month to act after major events took place in Wuhan.  Their approach before that was to censor the doctors trying to warn of the outbreak.

That was criminal negligence facilitating the virus to spread out of control.

Edited by frankblack

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

China waited a month to act after major events took place in Wuhan.  Their approach before that was to censor the doctors trying to warn of the outbreak.

That was criminal negligence facilitating the virus to spread out of control.

The last paragraph sounds /looks familiar...

Outbreak hits China December.

WHO advises global vigilance and preparedness in January.

Trump told to start social distancing in February.

Nobody in the West lifts a finger until thousands of people start dying in March.

Play the blame game all you like.

25 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t know enough about viruses to know if three strains is common in everyday viruses or not. I suppose it would depend on how distinct from one another they are, at least to some degree.  

Glad you’re feeling a bit better👍

One is very flu like ( fever  shits bad gut etc as well as the cough  ) and one is  thats the fever and cough symptoms not sure what the other is but there is 3 definitely confirmed ones.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

One is very flu like ( fever  shits bad gut etc as well as the cough  ) and one is  thats the fever and cough symptoms not sure what the other is but there is 3 definitely confirmed ones.

Thanks for info

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Thanks for info

One of them also has Conjunctivitis symptoms that are like an early warning sign you have caught it.

3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

One of them also has Conjunctivitis symptoms that are like an early warning sign you have caught it.

Could easily get confused with hay fever at this time of year. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Aye, I've had bad hayfever from tree pollen thus last few days.

32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Does Italy have no bats? Ok!

Italy has bats, I'm not surprised you had to ask. Italy doesn't have wet markets chopping up bats for human consumption.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

What, if anything, are or will China do about the wet markets?

Nothing - at least until the follow-up reaction from the U.S. hits them when this dies down.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye I know just what I read from some of the cases in the US

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Aye I know just what I read from some of the cases in the US

Could potentially be fairly dangerous. You think you’ve got hay fever then go to supermarkets, work etc and spread coronavirus about. 

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye, I've had bad hayfever from tree pollen thus last few days.

I feel for you, it’s nippy as ****. I used to get it every year, then suddenly about ten years or so ago, it just stopped bar very mild and occasional dry eyes during summer. 

Just now, Natural Orders said:

When do we think it will be safe and possible to travel abroad again? This year?

I'd imagine holiday travel will be pretty much a non starter as I think countries that get the virus under control will introduce quarantine measures.

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I feel for you, it’s nippy as ****. I used to get it every year, then suddenly about ten years or so ago, it just stopped bar very mild and occasional dry eyes during summer. 

When I was wee, we were told that hay fever came and went in seven year cycles.  Seven on, seven off.

Could have been a load of nonsense but, looking back, that’s maybe exactly what happened to me.

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, frankblack said:

I'd imagine holiday travel will be pretty much a non starter as I think countries that get the virus under control will introduce quarantine measures.

Ah fair enough I suppose!!

i have family members who were planning a trip to Australia in November but not sure it is wise to go ahead with that yet 

Just now, Natural Orders said:

Ah fair enough I suppose!!

i have family members who were planning a trip to Australia in November but not sure it is wise to go ahead with that yet 

Yeah - I would advise waiting as you will need one hell of an annual leave allocation if you get quarantined on arrival and return!

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I'm taking a stale black pudding with me. :)

Trying not to be a dick here.

Is there fares available, I would have thought drivers were finding fares way down as we go on. Seems to me, a wrong place to go looking for work.

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

When I was wee, we were told that hay fever came and went in seven year cycles.  Seven on, seven off.

Could have been a load of nonsense but, looking back, that’s maybe exactly what happened to me.

Never heard that before. Interesting. I’ve heard of folk getting it then not getting it for a while then suddenly getting it again. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Trying not to be a dick here.

Is there fares available, I would have thought drivers were finding fares way down as we go on. Seems to me, a wrong place to go looking for work.

Fares will be down but loads of folk don’t have cars and taxis would, I’d imagine, be safer than buses. I get a taxi back from my weekly shop now, whereas before I’d just get things every day or two. Could be some drivers don’t want to work because of health risk as well. 

Edited by GinRummy

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic