Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, corkie64 said:

Definitely going doolally or legitimately worried, ri Alban?

I think full lockdown is coming, no exercise, one trip to the shops a week, Polis will love this shit. We just need to accept it, but make sure it's lifted once it's over. No if or buts!

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I think full lockdown is coming, no exercise, one trip to the shops a week, Polis will love this shit. We just need to accept it, but make sure it's lifted once it's over. No if or buts!

Agreed, it seems to have been the ploy of the Tory cabinet from the start, and they've been caught short by the overall population's compliance, especially us jocks! We (Scots) need to keep a level head and let others lose control...so to speak. 

Edited by corkie64

5 minutes ago, corkie64 said:

Agreed, it seems to have been the ploy of the Tory cabinet from the start, and they've been caught short by the overall population's compliance, especially us jocks! We (Scots) need to keep a level head and let others lose control...

I need to get back to work as my health is starting to fail me. Osteoarthritis. I'm gonnae have to go back to Taxi work. Roof Slater/tiler/roughcast we trade, but needs must. No-one in the passenger seat, which is good, tho. 

Possible no one will be working in a week, at all.

Keep your chin up and stay safe. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

just caught the end of a news item that new cases in China with some deaths reported. 108 new cases 2 deaths.

They have now introduced a 28 day quarantine in the Provence affected. 

These type of measures were always going to be the case. The international travel that we all took for granted is going to take a serious dent as other countries adopt similar measures to prevent infection rates rising again 

5 hours ago, bobsharp said:

just caught the end of a news item that new cases in China with some deaths reported. 108 new cases 2 deaths.

Yes, and this is what the future holds until we get a vaccine sorted out and probably after that too. Minor sporadic outbreaks, just like flu. We'll just get used to it, get efficient at combatting it, and it will become background noise. In my opinion, anyway.

The Internet
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yes, and this is what the future holds until we get a vaccine sorted out and probably after that too. Minor sporadic outbreaks, just like flu. We'll just get used to it, get efficient at combatting it, and it will become background noise. In my opinion, anyway.

Agree with that. Although you do sort of wonder what level of surveillance will needed to combat it efficiently. 

I P Knightley
23 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Do we just leave people stuck in New Zealand or India or Peru or wherever.

There was a poster on here whose daughter I think it was was also stuck in New Zealand and he was frantic in getting her back, 

I know we've had a reply from the poster in question but, right now, I would be quite happy for my family to be stuck in NZ. Strong, sensible, compassionate leadership rather than the bungling, heartless folks were have here. 

19 hours ago, redjambo said:

I know, stats and all that, but the daily increase in the number of total deaths worldwide is still on a downwards trend:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graph

You're looking at percentages, Red. 

As the numbers get bigger and bigger, the growth percentages get smaller due to division. We need/ want them to be zero. Less than one per cent would be encouraging. 

19 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

On the changing government narrative, I see the new tack being provided by Dom, from his isolation man cave, is the line spouted by the vile Priti Patel yesterday and followed up by Robert '**** the lockdown I'm going for 150 mile jaunt' Jenrick on today's talking head slots

"I'm sorry you feel that way" or "we're sorry you feel that way"

Not enough PPE? oh I'm sorry you feel that way. 

1000 deaths a day? Oh we're sorry you feel that way.

Phrasing we use when we're saying, "I don't know what you're getting upset about, I've done nothing wrong. You'll have to live with it." 

Callous b45tards

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Is there anyone that can tell us what the death rate for 2020 is so far compared to 2019/18/17 for all deaths?

I can't find it anywhere, but surely this will give us an indication of what the virus is actually doing.

Also those who are suggesting on this thread that the numbers of deaths are misleading as many are dying with not because of COVID19 should perhaps consider the number of deaths of medical staff who are treating the patients as an indicator as to how deadly the virus is.

Travelling Tabby has a section just below the Deaths by age and sex, where there is a graph comparing deaths over the last 5  years.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Don't know how accurate it is, but if he's got it, the info will be out there somewhere.

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I know we've had a reply from the poster in question but, right now, I would be quite happy for my family to be stuck in NZ. Strong, sensible, compassionate leadership rather than the bungling, heartless folks were have here. 

NZ seems one of the better places to be right now.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Travelling Tabby has a section just below the Deaths by age and sex, where there is a graph comparing deaths over the last 5  years.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Don't know how accurate it is, but if he's got it, the info will be out there somewhere.

Looks like he may have pulled it from here: https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/covid19/covid-deaths-report-week-14.pdf

57 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Is there anyone that can tell us what the death rate for 2020 is so far compared to 2019/18/17 for all deaths?

I can't find it anywhere, but surely this will give us an indication of what the virus is actually doing.

Also those who are suggesting on this thread that the numbers of deaths are misleading as many are dying with not because of COVID19 should perhaps consider the number of deaths of medical staff who are treating the patients as an indicator as to how deadly the virus is.

In extremely simplistic terms the flat line average deaths in the UK is 1600 per day.

The 10000 hospital and tested covid19 deaths are on top of that figure but do not inlcude care home or community deaths.  We will know on Wednesday the up to date suspected cases with symptoms in Scotland but not tested.  Week past Sunday there was c.130 deaths on top of the hospital testes number (220).

However, some of these people may have died anyway dependent upon whether it was covid19 or some other severe respiratory health they either had already or their illness led to, i.e pneumonia.  

Then unfortunately there is the still to be determined downstream impacts on mental health and abuse that may lead unfortunately to additional suicide or domestic murder.

Then there is murder, murder which appears to be diminishing just now (the same with other deaths e.g road traffic) but again could spike as people become more agitated with lockdown, the economic impacts of the lockdown or how we act when we come out of it.

There is going to be a whole load of data analysis completed before we can say.  And due to lack of testing, a hell of a load of further assumptions.

Edited by DETTY29

"They would have died anyways"

"Dying with covid-19 is different from dying of covid-19"

These and other pathetic whataboutery statements are just a pathetic attempt to downplay the seriousness of the situation and force the death rates down so we can all get back to work and bash on with herd immunity.

Taking a look at the number of doctors, nurses, care workers, bus drivers and other front line staff dying just goes to show how bad this would get if every restriction was lifted and we just tried to get back to normal.

People STILL don't get it. Public, or politicians.

Edited by Cade

13 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Thats what a proper caring prime minister did. Our PM and his mob are just killing off the weak and elderly. If you voted for the tories, hang your head in shame! Herd immunity my arse!

9D2E31F0-B753-4ECE-B053-E06B0D9BB36E.jpeg

Francis Albert
13 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

This is WHO update from the 12th of January. The 3rd paragraph (copied below) hardly exudes urgency. By that time the virus was well beyond the borders of China. 

https://www.who.int/csr/don/12-january-2020-novel-coronavirus-china/en/

DD7D15D2-34A9-4765-BB5D-F57F32DB3B02.jpeg

The World Health Organisation swallowed whole the Chinese government's lies and continues to do so. Just a few weeks ago the Director General of that organisation (who got the job with the help of Chinese support) praised the Chinese handling of the outbreak as a great example of dealing with an epidemic. A judgement based on no real knowledge of the facts and to say the least premature.

At least 116 people in South Korea have tested positive again after being cleared of having covid-19.

Authorities are scrambling to work out if this means the tests that came back negative after treatment were faulty; whether a heavy viral load can re-infect; or whether the virus is mutating.

28 minutes ago, Cade said:

These and other pathetic whataboutery statements are just a pathetic attempt to downplay the seriousness of the situation and force the death rates down so we can all get back to work and bash on with herd immunity.

Taking a look at the number of doctors, nurses, care workers, bus drivers and other front line staff dying just goes to show how bad this would get if every restriction was lifted and we just tried to get back to normal.

You have done nothing but criticise folks reaction to this but I haven't actually read a suggestion from you. What is it you think we should do because the world can't stop forever. People are social beings and can't be locked away indefinitely. 

I am no ways suggesting herd immunity is an ideal solution but at this moment in time is there any other option which allows the world to find some semblance of normalty? There's no cure in sight and testing kits don't seem to be completely reliable. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I am no ways suggesting herd immunity is an ideal solution but at this moment in time is there any other option which allows the world to find some semblance of normalty? There's no cure in sight and testing kits don't seem to be completely reliable. 

Short of a miracle vaccine, herd immunity is the only way out.

31 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Thats what a proper caring prime minister did. Our PM and his mob are just killing off the weak and elderly. If you voted for the tories, hang your head in shame! Herd immunity my arse!

9D2E31F0-B753-4ECE-B053-E06B0D9BB36E.jpeg

Cummings denies he ever said that TBF

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

The office of national statistics provides comprehensive data for England and Wales. Provides a variety of breakdowns in relation to a number of factors, age, region, cause. It published data on deaths where covid 19 is mentioned on the death certificate. However it will usually be a few weeks behind due to registering of deaths, reporting etc and figures are provisional. Gives you a good overview.

14 hours ago, BlackJAC? said:

Nice try but just read the first few pages of this very thread.  People were being called bed wetters, people using the now infamous "it's just flu" retort etc etc because they were reading others stating it was going to be bad. Folk being mocked because they were warning people.  This very thread is a good representation of what it was like.  Folk can claim they were caught unawares, but they really weren't.  If randoms like us were spouting it, I highly suspect those who have dedicated the best part of their working life to monitoring these very things were also warning what was gonna happen. 

Now people have changed tact "But no one knew.  NO ONE!!!"  If you think you needed a crystal ball to see the shitstorm that was coming, then I dunno what to say to you.  You win I suppose.

Mid November a British English teacher and a few associates in Wuhan succumbed to this pathogen. This super-fit guy on BBC Radio 2 mid March, gave a personal account of what he'd recently endured, he very nearly became a statistic. This story shocked me, wrong side of 50 see!

18 weeks ago, super-fit-guy contracts this virus in Wuhan, add the potential incubation period, looks like this virus may have entered his body in October...20 weeks ago, shocking eh?  Who knows (there's a contradiction right there, World Health Organisation knew ***k all, thanks to China's pathetic inaction) when this virus allegedly jumped from animal to human in Wuhan's notorious wet market, September maybe? Shockingly scary now eh?

IMO, China and the WHO are the main catalysts for the Wests unpreparedness. It was described as a viral tsunami, we all know how lethal they are, none more so than His Royal Highness Prince Charles taking refuge on higher ground at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, we're all in this together...dinae, just please dinae!

For reasons best known to China, we've not been afforded the information that would've best prepared the UK, Europe, USA and the rest of the world. 

Given the shitty contaminated hand we were dealt, could the fist we are making of another countries negligence be bettered?  

PS, 15 minutes until opening time, I'm off to get hammered...:mj_zivili:

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

19 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You have done nothing but criticise folks reaction to this but I haven't actually read a suggestion from you. What is it you think we should do because the world can't stop forever. People are social beings and can't be locked away indefinitely. 

We have to buy time.

If we all go back to normal too soon, infections will skyrocket, then hospitals will become overwhelmed and we'll have to go down the route of triage, chosing who gets treatment and who is left to die then we end up with hundreds of thousands dead.

Infection rates have to be slowed to a rate at which the medical services can cope.

As we ramp up production and distribution of PPE and ventilators as well as opening more emergency hospitals, capacity will rise and it may be possible to relax restrictions.

This new contact tracing app may also allow more freedom of movement, even though conventional wisdom says that it's far too late for contact tracing.

A vaccine may take until the end of the year to be developed, and if this is anything like malaria or aids, we won't get a vaccine at all.

Properly accurate tests and expansion of the medical service are our best hope and things that are actually possible.

They just take time and that time has to be bought by the general populace staying at home.

We've only done three or four weeks of lockdown. 

We'll need at least that long again.

55 minutes ago, Cade said:

Absolutely.

Covid19.  Everyone dying with it is dying prematurely and at one point the government was considering wiping out around up to 1% of the population in a short period until the impact on NHS was fully understood.  And its not just the NHS, it would overwhelm.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Cummings denies he ever said that TBF

I'm sure he does. 

Boris will come to regret his cosy chat with Holly on ITV too.

Herd immunity always was and still is the plan. 

If it wasn't we'd be testing the shit out of everyone and running contact tracing. We're not. 

The narrative is changing, the numbers are being fudged and you can bet your arse that the only reason we haven't had an announcement of an extension of lockdown is solely down to the fact that the government is desperately hoping to see a 'plateau' in the death numbers before Thursday when they have to commit, based on their SAGE advice.

Watch out for some bullshit around rate of infection drop offs, which of course you will get if you don't test anyone and don't count deaths in the community. 

Contrast all that with the brutal honesty of New Zealand's PM.

People dying now got the virus before the lockdown.

Its another week before we would just be starting to see affects of the lockdown.

An example from Wales

Edited by Mikey1874

If you look at countries who did lockdown earlier its positive about what lockdown can achieve.

Ireland much lower rate of deaths from starting lockdown earlier. That is positive though obviously more questions for UK Government response. 

And more testing

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

In Scotland the *first week of April number was up 700 on the average last 5 years.

*Edited

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

My friend is a senior nurse on one of the Covid wards in ARI she is in tears every night at the stress and strain and scared shitless about the virus. 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm sure he does. 

Boris will come to regret his cosy chat with Holly  on ITV too.

Herd immunity always was and still is the plan. 

If it wasn't we'd be testing the shit out of everyone and running contact tracing. We're not. 

The narrative is changing, the numbers are being fudged and you can bet your arse that the only reason we haven't had an announcement of an extension of lockdown is solely down to the fact that the government is desperately hoping to see a 'plateau' in the death numbers before Thursday when they have to commit, based on their SAGE advice.

Watch out for some bullshit around rate of infection drop offs, which of course you will get if you don't test anyone and don't count deaths in the community. 

Contrast all that with the brutal honesty of New Zealand's PM.

We are stuck in a bit of a quandry as it will happen exactly as you say - for economic reasons lockdown cannot go on forever, but we do not have the testing data to support any change. We're going to have to come out blind and risk another wave that could overcome the NHS, thus negating the cost and effect of this lockdown...

IF there is such a thing as immunity then it could be that herd immunity will happen, but it is just going to be totally and utterly unmanaged and fortuitous if it happens. From my own perspective, my family's main worry is my father who is 81 and is on statins for hypertension - basically if he gets Covid he is dead - who is isolated with my 75 year old mother who is fit and active. I cannot see an exit for them that doesn't guarantee death for at least one of them...

Dr Fauci confirms the story in the New York Times that Trump was advised to begin social distancing measure in February but ignored that advice.

Trump now very close to firing Fauci.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, flogel41 said:

The office of national statistics provides comprehensive data for England and Wales. Provides a variety of breakdowns in relation to a number of factors, age, region, cause. It published data on deaths where covid 19 is mentioned on the death certificate. However it will usually be a few weeks behind due to registering of deaths, reporting etc and figures are provisional. Gives you a good overview.

The only numbers I have seen so far relate to January and February, before Coronavirus took off, are on total deaths. Compared to last year they showed 3000 fewer deaths in January and 3000 more in February (or the other way round)  meaning that Coronavirus deaths are still statistically masked by "normal" variability in rates of death. I also think " mentioned on the death certificate" may be misleading. If someone in the late stages of terminal lung  cancer dies, has he died of Coronavirus or of lung cancer?

Despite the certainty some people express about the course of the pandemic and the way out of it there is still a hell of a lot we won't know for a very long time, if ever. 

Edited by Francis Albert

33 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If you look at countries who did lockdown earlier its positive about what lockdown can achieve.

Ireland much lower rate of deaths from starting lockdown earlier. That is positive though obviously more questions for UK Government response. 

And more testing

I get what she is trying to say, but every negative test is a wasted test. A negative test just means you don't have it yet. A positive test also means nothing if there is no immunity from reinfection...

43 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

People dying now got the virus before the lockdown.

Its another week before we would just be starting to see affects of the lockdown.

An example from Wales

So same for England and Ireland for Cheltenham.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Dr Fauci confirms the story in the New York Times that Trump was advised to begin social distancing measure in February but ignored that advice.

Trump now very close to firing Fauci.

Thats his way. Trump is right and everyone else is wrong & if you dont agree...youre fired!

He controls the narrative that his sycophantic followers lap it up and if anyone deviates from his word, then he just shuts them down. 

He’s almost like a dictator!

Edited by Pans Jambo

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Thats his way. Trump is right and everyone else is wrong & if you dont agree...youre fired!

He controls the narrative that his sycophantic followers lap up and if anyone deviates from his word, then he just shuts them down. 

He’s almost a dictator!

it helps that he has his lapdogs at fox news agreeing with everything he says and does

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Does he really?

Well Downing Street denied it on his behalf in response to the FT story.

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

it helps that he has his lapdogs at fox news agreeing with everything he says and does

Billionaires all in it together. 

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I get what she is trying to say, but every negative test is a wasted test. A negative test just means you don't have it yet. A positive test also means nothing if there is no immunity from reinfection...

Negative test means if you have symptoms you can go about your daily activities so in Health, Social Care this is helpful.  Well temporarily until you get them again.

Testing is at its most helpful if you have an approach aligned to say South Korea. 

But yep, until we can guarantee immunity or change our testing approach, then its the death numbers....

Edited by DETTY29

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

We are stuck in a bit of a quandry as it will happen exactly as you say - for economic reasons lockdown cannot go on forever, but we do not have the testing data to support any change. We're going to have to come out blind and risk another wave that could overcome the NHS, thus negating the cost and effect of this lockdown...

IF there is such a thing as immunity then it could be that herd immunity will happen, but it is just going to be totally and utterly unmanaged and fortuitous if it happens. From my own perspective, my family's main worry is my father who is 81 and is on statins for hypertension - basically if he gets Covid he is dead - who is isolated with my 75 year old mother who is fit and active. I cannot see an exit for them that doesn't guarantee death for at least one of them...

Both my parents are mid 70s. One with type 1 diabetes amongst a shopping list of other ailments and the other ain't much better. 

If either catch it then sadly they're gone. I'm in my 50s and relatively fit/healthy and I don't fancy it much either.

Lockdown can't go on for ever, that's for sure, however decisions must be made based on good information and the UK simply doesn't have any. 

We've no testing data. No antibody data and we're gaming the death toll. That's not a sound basis to make decisions which jeopardise the health of tens of thousands of our citizens IMO.

Whenever we do resurface wave 2 will be just around the corner, sadly that's the reality until such times as this virus mutates away to irrelevance or we find a vaccine. 

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

The thing about this is that people keep citing someone else's paraphrase as if it were a direct quote, making it easier for Cummings to deny.

It would be interesting to know what he actually said.

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Its happening all over the world. Him, Boris, Trump the lot of them.

Say something heinous that the right wing will lap up then back-track with the denials, “post-truth” bullshit and make out youre actually a human!

I just hope that after all this has passed we remember who the odious *******s are and what they said/did (or didnt do).

Edited by Pans Jambo

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

And the evangistical  nut jobs, NRA gun totting nut jobs and the racists...

So around half the population.

If.Faucci is sacked surely to god even Fox say enough is enough.

Edited by DETTY29

I think Faucci would have resigned months ago but stayed on to save lives and try and get Trump to see common sense.

Infinity times the patriot Trump will ever be.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I struggle to see how herd immunity doesn’t happen automatically. 

This thing is loose all over the world, it’s not going away. Even now a section of the population is building up a immunity to it. Lockdowns don’t make this go away, its merely a management strategy. We can’t remain in lockdown too long as the damage that will cause will become worse than that of the actual virus.

We will need to return to some form of ‘normality’ and herd immunity will be a byproduct of that.

Herd Immunity is still the policy but it is a 'slowed down' herd immunity.  Don't want everyone to catch it all at once as the health service would crumble.  

Obviously this is subject to people getting some kind of immunity to the virus which we still don't know for certain.

To me it looks like they are expecting most people to catch the virus and they are just wanting the deaths spread out as much as possible, whilst doing our best to try and shield the most vulnerable if we can. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic