• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Belgium is having a particularly tough time of it with 260 deaths  / million population (the UK is at 118, France 187, Italy 302, Spain 339).

They've also determined that 40% of deaths in the country have taken place in care homes (source for the latter: Le Soir).

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Belgium is having a particularly tough time of it with 260 deaths  / million population (the UK is at 118, France 187, Italy 302, Spain 339).

They've also determined that 40% of deaths in the country have taken place in care homes (source for the latter: Le Soir).

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1267414/coronavirus-deaths-in-UK-care-homes-official-figures-latest-news-updates

Our figures might look very different if care home deaths were included (I understand France includes them)

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

'Bad dog' was a bit harsh at the end.

Yeah, poor Olive, kick the poor thing while she's down.

Just now, scott herbertson said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1267414/coronavirus-deaths-in-UK-care-homes-official-figures-latest-news-updates

Our figures might look very different if care home deaths were included (I understand France includes them)

Indeed. It seems bizarre that Scotland contributes this info into the UK figure, but England doesn't (I don't know about the other nations).

I know it was a few pages back when the WHO were getting a tough time for allegedly ignoring advise from Taiwan. The thing is, governments and organisations like this have to be very careful with Taiwan. The Chinese generally have a policy that anyone who even acknowledges Taiwan as a state gets ostracised. It may have been a case that the Chinese would have refused to offer any advice, data or help should the WHO have acted on Taiwan's info. 

WHO has also come under attack from Trump, who's threatening to withhold funding.

They're being used as a political football.

4 hours ago, graygo said:

Almost all flights are now cargo only or are for repatriation purposes.

Why would anyone want to come to the UK? We've got it just as bad if not worse than everywhere else.

Also, why should the rules for testing be different for anyone coming into the country? Anyone showing symptoms should self isolate, nobody is coming here for a jolly mate.

Out of interest I just had a look at the Alitalia website. There are no less than three flights from Heathrow to Rome tomorrow available for booking - and 4 coming back on Sunday. Can there really be that many "essential" journeys being made at this stage of the lockdown in both countries? It just doesn't seem right to me. There also still appear to be quite a few transatlantic passenger flights operating.  

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

True though mate we all have to go at some time, I have been scared of this fact for over three weeks now. 

I can't live in a state of fear for the rest of my life that's not healthy, we don't know who has or who hasn't go it?. 

What i meant was if you survive from getting it you are extremely lucky, sorry just seen that 👍

We shouldn't dwell on the negative things in life, difficult as that might be at times.

Wars are fought and people die.  Diseases strike and people die. Airliners crash sometimes. Innocent people die in traffic accidents every day.  Focusing on those things could drive a person crazy, so it's best to focus on something else.

All wars end eventually.  All pandemics end eventually. Good times are ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

WHO has also come under attack from Trump, who's threatening to withhold funding.

They're being used as a political football.

Not just threatening it, he's put a hold on it.

He said the US contributes around $420milliin while China pays around $40million and WHO seem to always back China.

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

NHS doctor who pleaded for PPE dies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52242516

We had better have an extensive public enquiry after this is over, with the availability of PPE being one of the subjects that takes centre stage, imo.

I feel like I recognise that Doctor/Name.

Would he have been on one of those Hospital programmes or was he prominent in the news before?

6 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Out of interest I just had a look at the Alitalia website. There are no less than three flights from Heathrow to Rome tomorrow available for booking - and 4 coming back on Sunday. Can there really be that many "essential" journeys being made at this stage of the lockdown in both countries? It just doesn't seem right to me. There also still appear to be quite a few transatlantic passenger flights operating.  

I can't do anything else other than keep posting this link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52098430

Do you really think people are flying to and from Italy unless essential?

5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

We shouldn't dwell on the negative things in life, difficult as that might be at times.

Wars are fought and people die.  Diseases strike and people die. Airliners crash sometimes. Innocent people die in traffic accidents every day.  Focusing on those things could drive a person crazy, so it's best to focus on something else.

All wars end eventually.  All pandemics end eventually. Good times are ahead. 

Hopefully 👍

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

To bring some light heartedness to the thread again, I posted these on the dog thread but most folk would probably enjoy them;

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrAndrewCotter/status/1243539675031232519

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrAndrewCotter/status/1248313303270596610

I'll say that it's on topic because the person likely wouldn't have done them without the lockdown.... 

Very clever. :thumb:

4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I feel like I recognise that Doctor/Name.

Would he have been on one of those Hospital programmes or was he prominent in the news before?

I don't know to be honest. There are a few Chowdhurys (and variants) about.

Maybe thinking of the Leicester player Hamza Choudhury (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamza_Choudhury)?

dobmisterdobster
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not just threatening it, he's put a hold on it.

He said the US contributes around $420milliin while China pays around $40million and WHO seem to always back China.

Another UN organisation with bloodthirsty dictators on it's board. Perhaps?

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I can't do anything else other than keep posting this link.

Do you really think people are flying to and from Italy unless essential?

Well I suppose it comes down to what "essential" means. I struggle to see how there are hundreds of people that need to make "essential" journeys this weekend between the UK and Italy within the meaning of the government orders in both countries. The lockdowns have been in place in both countries for weeks now.  

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Heard it mentioned numerous times by Brits trying to get back to the UK, that they book flights, only for the flight to get cancelled a few hours or a day or two later, some have spent thousands of pounds on flights which turn out to get cancelled and that's including flights from Europe.

There are still some, very few, commercial flights in Europe, the reason they are still operating is for people who need/want to get back to their home country, this is why the Government won't put on flights from Europe to bring people back, because they can, albeit with limited availability get a commercial flight back to the UK.

Where there are no commercial flights operating directly or via other locations, that's when the Government put on chartered flights to bring Brits back home, such as the 3 or 4 flights from Peru in the last week or so, and the 12 flights being laid on for the 3000 or so Brits who are stuck in India.

Jambo-Jimbo
21 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Well I suppose it comes down to what "essential" means. I struggle to see how there are hundreds of people that need to make "essential" journeys this weekend between the UK and Italy within the meaning of the government orders in both countries. The lockdowns have been in place in both countries for weeks now.  

Hundreds? 

There could be a dozen or two if that.

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

What i meant was if you survive from getting it you are extremely lucky, sorry just seen that 👍

Its the other way around.  If you die from getting it then you are extremely unlucky, try and relax a bit. 

Screenshot_2020-04-01-20-26-45.jpg

Edited by Shanks

Malinga the Swinga
6 hours ago, Taffin said:

Despite clarification yesterday, we've got police in Cambridgeshire policing the 'non-essential' aisles in a Tesco. They're absolutely determined to drive a divide between the authorities and the public at a time when we most need cooperation.

With the reduction of people actually going out, it is good to see the police now feel safe enough to set foot outside their offices and from behind phones. As soon as this is over, they will scurry away again and get back to doing paperwork and monitoring speed of cars.

Listened to a couple of Chief Constables on the news and these guys are loving the attention they are getting. While other emergency services are stepping up to the mark, plod are not.

The Mighty Thor
11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Heard it mentioned numerous times by Brits trying to get back to the UK, that they book flights, only for the flight to get cancelled a few hours or a day or two later, some have spent thousands of pounds on flights which turn out to get cancelled and that's including flights from Europe.

There are still some, very few, commercial flights in Europe, the reason they are still operating is for people who need/want to get back to their home country, this is why the Government won't put on flights from Europe to bring people back, because they can, albeit with limited availability get a commercial flight back to the UK.

Where there are no commercial flights operating directly or via other locations, that's when the Government put on chartered flights to bring Brits back home, such as the 3 or 4 flights from Peru in the last week or so, and the 12 flights being laid on for the 3000 or so Brits who are stuck in India.

Again in reply to @graygo and your good self, to suggest that there's no regular commercial flights into the UK is plainly not true. Check Heathrows arrivals website of a morning, there are 10-12 regular scheduled flights arriving into Heathrow from North America every day. Not repatriation flights but BA, AA, Delta regular services. 

Why? 

Potentially thousands of people rocking up every single day. 

****ing lunacy. 

36 minutes ago, stirlo said:

But you're prepared to believe there are hundreds of people making the journey without it being essential?

The Internet
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

It's actually worrying me more than the virus, without a word of a lie. 

What is? 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

With the reduction of people actually going out, it is good to see the police now feel safe enough to set foot outside their offices and from behind phones. As soon as this is over, they will scurry away again and get back to doing paperwork and monitoring speed of cars.

Listened to a couple of Chief Constables on the news and these guys are loving the attention they are getting. While other emergency services are stepping up to the mark, plod are not.

What a load of utter shite. 

The Old Tolbooth
5 hours ago, graygo said:

Almost all flights are now cargo only or are for repatriation purposes.

Why would anyone want to come to the UK? We've got it just as bad if not worse than everywhere else.

Also, why should the rules for testing be different for anyone coming into the country? Anyone showing symptoms should self isolate, nobody is coming here for a jolly mate.

Up until about two days ago mate, there were plenty people coming and going, I didn't believe it at first as I thought it can't be true, but folk entering the country are just being allowed to walk straight in and mix and it's severely pissing off the airport staff, in New Zealand, you have to go to a special unit to be tested and possibly quarantined until you're safe to be "let loose" if you like, have a look at this flight tracker which is live time, it's not exactly dead in the air. 

https://www.flightradar24.com/53.57,2.01/6

21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hundreds? 

There could be a dozen or two if that.

The fact there are three or four flights each day this weekend would suggest it's more than dozens. While it's true that many flights are being cancelled at a relatively late stage, a look at flight tracking sites tells you that there are still hundreds of these passenger flights that are still operating over the skies of western Europe. As for the US, the number of flights operating is incredible. 

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Again in reply to @graygo and your good self, to suggest that there's no regular commercial flights into the UK is plainly not true. Check Heathrows arrivals website of a morning, there are 10-12 regular scheduled flights arriving into Heathrow from North America every day. Not repatriation flights but BA, AA, Delta regular services. 

Why? 

Potentially thousands of people rocking up every single day. 

****ing lunacy. 

Read the highlighted part in my post above, then tell me that you have picked up what I said wrong. 👍

AlphonseCapone
17 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Its the other way around.  If you die from getting it then you are extremely unlucky, try and relax a bit. 

Screenshot_2020-04-01-20-26-45.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51979654

Adding a link to the article where this comes from because I think it's quite informative in terms of understanding excess deaths from the virus, even if the numbers aren't a certainty just now. Key points are;

* around 2/3 of those that die from cornavirus (estimate) may have died this year irregardless, just that deaths will be happening in a shorter window rather than spread out over the year

* however, excess deaths due to lockdown from suicide, heart issues and the economic downturn need to also be factored in

None of this is means deaths are any less tragic or we that we should someone be content with any of it. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, stirlo said:

The fact there are three or four flights each day this weekend would suggest it's more than dozens. While it's true that many flights are being cancelled at a relatively late stage, a look at flight tracking sites tells you that there are still hundreds of these passenger flights that are still operating over the skies of western Europe. As for the US, the number of flights operating is incredible. 

Nothing to what is operating over China.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that those 3 or 4 flights get condensed into one flight and the other 3 will get cancelled.

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

But you're prepared to believe there are hundreds of people making the journey without it being essential?

I just find it fairly incredible that we are all being told to stay in our houses and only go to the supermarket for essential shopping (which by the way I don't disagree with) - yet anyone can go on the internet and book a flight from Heathrow to Rome tomorrow - with a choice of three flights - as long as the person themselves deems the journey to be essential.  

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Read the highlighted part in my post above, then tell me that you have picked up what I said wrong. 👍

I picked up what you said wrong 👍

My apologies.

10 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Adding a link to the article where this comes from because I think it's quite informative in terms of understanding excess deaths from the virus, even if the numbers aren't a certainty just now. Key points are;

* around 2/3 of those that die from cornavirus (estimate) may have died this year irregardless, just that deaths will be happening in a shorter window rather than spread out over the year

* however, excess deaths due to lockdown from suicide, heart issues and the economic downturn need to also be factored in

None of this is means deaths are any less tragic or we that we should someone be content with any of it. 

Yea I posted the article up here a few days ago, it did make me stand back a bit and understand what is going on.  If you read the news and see reports of mass graves etc in New York it is making folk panic.  

Yes it is horrific what is happening and this virus is going to effect us all, people do need to know though that the chances of dieing from it are still small.  No use in people getting themselves in a state over it. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I just find it fairly incredible that we are all being told to stay in our houses and only go to the supermarket for essential shopping (which by the way I don't disagree with) - yet anyone can go on the internet and book a flight from Heathrow to Rome tomorrow - with a choice of three flights - as long as the person themselves deems the journey to be essential.  

Why would anybody want to go to Rome (for example) and to do what, nothing is open, no hotels no sites no shops, nothing is open, you can't even walk the streets without the Police asking to see your papers and why you are out.

The only people who will be going to Rome is people who live there and certainly have somewhere to stay as it's not like they can go and book into a hotel, therefore the numbers of people wanting to return to Rome now, who haven't already done so, will be few in number, I can't imagine it will be in the hundreds, maybe a month or so ago flights may have been fairly full, but now, can't see it.

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I picked up what you said wrong 👍

My apologies.

Easily done, no worries. 👍

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Why would anybody want to go to Rome (for example) and to do what, nothing is open, no hotels no sites no shops, nothing is open, you can't even walk the streets without the Police asking to see your papers and why you are out.

The only people who will be going to Rome is people who live there and certainly have somewhere to stay as it's not like they can go and book into a hotel, therefore the numbers of people wanting to return to Rome now, who haven't already done so, will be few in number, I can't imagine it will be in the hundreds, maybe a month or so ago flights may have been fairly full, but now, can't see it.

Ordinarily there's a good chance I would have been there at this very time (I'm half Italian myself and have family in Rome and other parts of Italy). There are a lot of people in my situation, with family members in Scotland/the UK and family in Italy. My understanding is that in terms of the lockdown we are supposed to have decided where we are living and not to move from there - this applies as much to within the UK as internationally i.e. someone who lives in Edinburgh with family in London should either be living in Edinburgh or London and not going from one to the other. Again I suppose it all comes down to the meaning of essential. I just find it incredible I can go on the internet and have a choice of three flights from Heathrow to Rome tomorrow. 

The Mighty Thor

Today's presser is a shocker.

Biggest number of deaths recorded and its all about baw jaws and how they're moving plastic aprons around the country.

Where's the plan? 

Where's the actions that will get us out of this?

They're lost. Absolutely clueless. They're riding the back of it and hoping for the best.

36 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Up until about two days ago mate, there were plenty people coming and going, I didn't believe it at first as I thought it can't be true, but folk entering the country are just being allowed to walk straight in and mix and it's severely pissing off the airport staff, in New Zealand, you have to go to a special unit to be tested and possibly quarantined until you're safe to be "let loose" if you like, have a look at this flight tracker which is live time, it's not exactly dead in the air. 

https://www.flightradar24.com/53.57,2.01/6

Flights are reduced by about 95% mate, all that's left is cargo and repatriation.

No point testing folk coming in, they could be clear then catch it 5 minutes after leaving the airport.

"We started out with zero infrastructure and zero capacity for PPE but we're trying to catch up on the last ten years of brutal cutbacks as fast as we can"

32 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That graph is irrelevant to me. It doesn't include a factor which at least currently can't be quantified. What would the graph look like if no measures had been taken? If life had just carried on as normal?

33 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I'll ask you again, how many people do you think are going to book a flight anywhere that isn't essential?

22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hallefeckinlulleah!!!

Someone gets it.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I'll ask you again, how many people do you think are going to book a flight anywhere that isn't essential?

I have absolutely no idea. 

Fitzroy Pointon
46 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

What is? 

The powers that the police seem to have been given.  The loss of our freedom. The fact that what started out as "guidance" has now become law. These jumped up police chiefs holding press conferences telling us to be good little people this weekend or we will be arrested (Actually he said that that would be left to the discretion of individual police, something I'm not comfortable with). 

The whole thing worries me more than the virus. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic