Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Got to admit my handful of dealings with the police (mainly because of pals being arses, and me calming down, of course ;) ) is if you are respectful and not smart is that they just ask you to be sensible and be on your way.

It's how you respond back.

It;s the same with folk going on about why some and some are not getting fined.  If you taking the advice and get on your way ok, back chat, fine process starts.

The advice can’t vary from one police officer to another. It’s too difficult for the police to decide what is the right thing and what isn’t imo. 

I’m sure the overwhelming majority are doing a great job but the gutter press and media are going to pounce on the odd story, such as the police officer today telling people their children couldn’t play in their garden.

The government are hanging the police out to dry.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apologies if mentioned but can't see it but Jason Leitch was quite clear on exercise via recreation.

You should be out of the house once a day for 30 minutes to an hour.  Going mountain biking etc is recreation and not allowed.

Bit like you can walk round Arthurs Seat but really shouldn't be climbing it (Michael Stewart note if you are looking in  ;) )

Means I'll need to cut down my daily walk significantly but others have it a lot worse.

Francis Albert
41 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

and if people dont stick to it we will end up having a lockdown like italy and spain have. if that happens the same people will complain that the police did not do enough before it to stop it happening

We have a lockdown similar  Italy and Spain already. Not the same but similar and the trend in cases and deaths suggest the impact is similar too. In Spain hairdressing was deemed an essential service, which it probably is for the morale of a large part of half the population. I have seen pictures of crowded street scenes in Naples … hardly surprising to anyone who has visited that city. Reports from Paris suggested a noticeable increase in numbers in the streets after a couple of weeks of lockdown, and I doubt it was ever strictly enforced in the suburbs beyond the Peripherique where police rarely venture.  The UK and the British are not exceptional.

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The advice can’t vary from one police officer to another. It’s too difficult for the police to decide what is the right thing and what isn’t imo. 

I’m sure the overwhelming majority are doing a great job but the gutter press and media are going to pounce on the odd story, such as the police officer today telling people their children couldn’t play in their garden.

Bit like the journalist asking today why the CMO wasn't fined.

Most of us got it at the start of the week.

It is her fault of course but  the journalist pretty much wasted his question and 2 or 3 minutes of time when he could have asked something else.

Edited by DETTY29

Jambo-Jimbo
25 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

A flight landed today from Madrid without any checks and folk are worried about people buying alchohol from the supermarket. 

If the government can't even get the above right then what ****ing chance do we have. 

People need revaluate the direction of their anger. The authorities are getting this horribly wrong. 

And do you know how many people were on board?

Just because a plane landed doesn't mean there was hundreds of people on board, there might have just been a handful.

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Maybe Aldi could have a centre-aisled basket full of those special scarf bunnets the African ladies wear when they're carrying water home to their families.  Shopping bag in each hand and two 24-packs atop yer noggin.  :thumbsup:

I can see the African version of Comic Relief now. 

“This is Kevin he’s been in lockdown for 3 whole weeks. Nothing to keep him entertained but the 50 inch plasma telly he got on tic (and the tv signal he doesn’t pay a license fee for). Now he must walk 2 miles each day to get a 24 pack of special brew. For just two billion Zimbabwe dollars a month you could help get direct plumbing from the brewery to his front room. Please help Kevin get his essentials, he needs to get mad wi it.”

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Bit like the journalist asking today why the CMO wasn't fined.

Most of us got it at the start of the week.

It is her fault of course but  the journalist pretty much wasted his question and 2 or 3 minutes of time when he could have asked something else.

Agree with that. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If that particular situation wasn't in the advice given to officers by the police force in question then I personally would hold that police force to account for that. The police need to be given pretty precise instructions on what they should or shouldn't take exception to, and that would seem to be one of the obvious ones to me.

Of course, in this day and age, all it takes is one officer to do the wrong thing and it's all over the media and we're all jumping up and down doing our witch-hunt thing. All in all, they seem to be doing ok, despite the number of real dicks that are about.

17 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

So many people with so much faith in our government and police force. 

You’re completely right. Not nearly enough people have died yet. Anything the government(s) and police do to keep that figure down is reprehensible. ‘Mon the Covid!

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

If that particular situation wasn't in the advice given to officers by the police force in question then I personally would hold that police force to account for that. The police need to be given pretty precise instructions on what they should or shouldn't take exception to, and that would seem to be one of the obvious ones to me.

Of course, in this day and age, all it takes is one officer to do the wrong thing and it's all over the media and we're all jumping up and down doing our witch-hunt thing. All in all, they seem to be doing ok, despite the number of real dicks that are about.

Agree. The police are walking the tightrope of public opinion.  

ArcticJambo
5 minutes ago, gjcc said:

I can see the African version of Comic Relief now. 

“This is Kevin he’s been in lockdown for 3 whole weeks. Nothing to keep him entertained but the 50 inch plasma telly he got on tic (and the tv signal he doesn’t pay a license fee for). Now he must walk 2 miles each day to get a 24 pack of special brew. For just two billion Zimbabwe dollars a month you could help get direct plumbing from the brewery to his front room. Please help Kevin get his essentials, he needs to get mad wi it.”

Well, at least Kevin is doing the grunt work and no his jaked burd!

Agree. The police are walking the tightrope of public opinion.  

Now that's a nice expression. :) 

31 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

People banging on about how the police have our best interests, give me a break. 

Just the other night there my neighbour and her boyfriend rocked up outside in a taxi pissed , an argument started and things got quite heated, the police rocked up and went inside the house. 

Two of them stood there and waited for back up to come, as the guy was chucking stuff and destroying the house. 

It took 8 officers in total to get him out the house and restrain him, after he was put in the van, they stood for 30 minutes outside all chatting away to each other no social distancing or feck all.

I was amazed at what I was seeing then at 3.30 am, they chapped the door and asked if had heard anything the police officer was virtually in my house as soon as I opened the door, I said excuse me for a starters I'm self isolating, and secondly i take it you haven't heard about social distancing. 

He apologised and stepped backwards. 

Seems to me one rule set for some and a different for others. 

I know a lot of good cops that play a fair game, but also know a few that as soon as they put that uniform on they think they are Mr unstoppable. 

The majority are corrupt. 

On top of that the request of the guy that got lifted, they opened the back of the van up and before they left, went back into the house to get his bottle of buckfast, opened the back door and let him finish it before heading off. 

You had to see this to believe it, i opened the window and said as they put the the empty bottle on the pavement, you can't be fecking serious they went what i said really?.

There answer to that was close your window and get back inside, it doesn't concern you, I turned around and said aye well next time don't go chapping people doors, at 3.30am bawbag and closed the window. 

The bottom line is that people should be able to choose what they want to buy, the way this is going and it's maybe the wrong attitude to have, but with this virsus kicking about and them having no cure for it. 

Whether people like it or not, we are set up to die if you don't get it you are extremely lucky, if you survive you are extremely lucky. 

Surely if you are destined to be on the way out, the least we can give to people is the things that they enjoy before they sadly pass away, especially if they aren't being a nuisance to society and can handle there drink?. 

If the government we're really bothered about us do you not think, they would have us on lockdown like China. 

China had everyone staying in doors with food deliverys three time's a week, and one family member allowed to go out twice to get other necessities. 

We are set up to fail this ain't going away anytime soon, so it's best to enjoy what time we have left, I've been so miserable and felt like shit the last 3 weeks because of this. 

You drunk mate?

There's a whole lot of pish in a single thread there but the bit in bold just beggars belief.

AlphonseCapone
33 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the WHO (the font of all wisdom to some) has said that international air travel is not a significant risk. I have no idea how they could come to that conclusion. An airplane, where washing and toilet facilities are inadequate, air is recirculated, and social distancing is impossible seems a perfect environment for spreading the virus.

Yes and no;

https://www.who.int/ith/mode_of_travel/tcd_aircraft/en/

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Oi, Bongo, no! :D Sorry to say this, but you do really need to take a step back, imo. It's completely understandable that you might be panicking, we all have different reactions to stress, but also trying to get everyone else panicking when the best approach to all this is just to be cool-headed and get through it is not particularly constructive.

Keeps alluding to some crazy conspiracy but never quite describes what it is or why. Although he's clearly struggling with this topic I do get the impression that before all this he probably believed reptiles in human suits crashed into the world trade centres. 

Oi, Bongo, no! :D Sorry to say this, but you do really need to take a step back, imo. It's completely understandable that you might be panicking, we all have different reactions to stress, but also trying to get everyone else panicking when the best approach to all this is just to be cool-headed and get through it is not particularly constructive.

What i mean by that mate is i truly believe our leaders and government have failed us, I'm passed the stage of caring tbh whatever will be. 

I'm not trying to get everyone else panicking, my advice is for everyone to stay safe and enjoy life, because it can be over at any time. 

The best chance we had was trying to contain this virsus, like other countries have like South Korea, Germany etc. 

We have failed massively in my opinion, a country the size of ours should be able to do community testing. 

We couldn't even test our nhs staff during the outbreak of this, as we speak there is no solution on how to eradicate this virsus. 

How do you get the world running back normal again? You can't have sporting events of any high attendance, will risk people catching it.  Even just normal life how can you expect people, to go out and potentially risk there life with all of this herd Immunity pish. 

What solution do they have to make things go back to Normal?. 

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

You drunk mate?

There's a whole lot of pish in a single thread there but the bit in bold just beggars belief.

True though mate we all have to go at some time, I have been scared of this fact for over three weeks now. 

I can't live in a state of fear for the rest of my life that's not healthy, we don't know who has or who hasn't go it?. 

What i meant was if you survive from getting it you are extremely lucky, sorry just seen that 👍

Edited by Bongo 1874

Mac_fae_Gillie
19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We have a lockdown similar  Italy and Spain already. Not the same but similar and the trend in cases and deaths suggest the impact is similar too. In Spain hairdressing was deemed an essential service, which it probably is for the morale of a large part of half the population. I have seen pictures of crowded street scenes in Naples … hardly surprising to anyone who has visited that city. Reports from Paris suggested a noticeable increase in numbers in the streets after a couple of weeks of lockdown, and I doubt it was ever strictly enforced in the suburbs beyond the Peripherique where police rarely venture.  The UK and the British are not exceptional.

In truth the only way out is a vaccine or "herd immunity" so a constant flow of infections below enuff to swamp the health service is probably a good thing, of course a test to see who has had the virus is required too.

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

True though mate we all have to go at some time, I have been scared of this fact for over three weeks now. 

I can't live in a state of fear for the rest of my life that's not healthy, we don't know who has or who hasn't go it?. 

As usual, the poorest are the hardest hit. 

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Exactly.  Please try and contain your feelings of anxiety about this virus and not projecting it to other forum readers. Yes we all are worried and anxious but that particular statement only induces more anxiety for everyone and is no way helpful. 

8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

What i mean by that mate is i truly believe our leaders and government have failed us, I'm passed the stage of caring tbh whatever will be. 

I'm not trying to get everyone else panicking, my advice is for everyone to stay safe and enjoy life, because it can be over at any time. 

The best chance we had was trying to contain this virsus, like other countries have like South Korea, Germany etc. 

We have failed massively in my opinion, a country the size of ours should be able to do community testing. 

We couldn't even test our nhs staff during the outbreak of this, as we speak there is no solution on how to eradicate this virsus. 

How do you get the world running back normal again? You can't have sporting events of any high attendance, will risk people catching it.  Even just normal life how can you expect people, to go out and potentially risk there life with all of this herd Immunity pish. 

What do you think the end game is?

Here's some possible outcomes in my opinion.

1. We try to contain the spread as much as possible until a vaccine is found or we all have immunity.

2. We accept it will always be here so develop treatments to minimise the fatalities.

3. The virus mutates into a less fatal strain and we all get on with our lives.

4. We continue in lockdown for ever.

5. We all die from it eventually 

Edited by graygo

AlphonseCapone

What's with all the aggro the last two pages? 

Seems like on one minority end of the spectrum you have people that think the police and authorities are always up to no good and are working to some crazy conspiracy. At the other minority end of the spectrum you have the people that come across like they'd accept authoritarianism no bother as soon as things get a little scary in the world. And then there's the vast majority of people that recognise times are unprecedented so some aspects of life will naturally be more regulated but also that doesn't mean accepting absolutely everything without question it. 

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We've had pandemics before and bounced back. Resilience is one of the reasons the human race is where it is. We'll bounce back from this one too. The important thing for us to do is to minimise the loss of human life and learn our lessons so that we can react promptly and efficiently the next time.

Life on this wee planet of ours was never meant to be easy. At least, touch wood, we don't have an asteroid hurtling at us.

AlphonseCapone
Just now, graygo said:

What do you think the end game is?

Here's some possible outcomes in my opinion.

1. We try to contain the spread as much as possible until a vaccine is found.

2. We accept it will always be here so develop treatments to minimise the fatalities.

3. The virus mutates into a less fatal strain and we all get on with our lives.

4. We continue in lockdown for ever.

5. We all die from it eventually 

On point 3, there's also a natural trade off for viruses. The more deadly it is then the higher chance it kills off potential hosts. If isolating is done well then the more deadly strains, if there are such a thing, are more likely to be killed off as they kill their hosts. While the less deadly strains will pass around the population more but won't kill the hosts.

From a natural selection point of view, the less deadlier strains are more likely to stick around than the more deadly forms, if we do isolation properly. 

If we don't do it properly then we are more likely to go to point 5....

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Yes and no;

https://www.who.int/ith/mode_of_travel/tcd_aircraft/en/

Keeps alluding to some crazy conspiracy but never quite describes what it is or why. Although he's clearly struggling with this topic I do get the impression that before all this he probably believed reptiles in human suits crashed into the world trade centres. 

On that topic what are your beliefs on the world trade towers? Pm if you want 👍

I'm alluding to it because i can't understand when people give you a direct warning, not just once but three  times, that the people running us just say feck it just the flu, no big deal and decide to keep things as they are, to then backtrack on it. 

Seriously needs questioning don't you think?. 

Surely It would of made sense to stop the virsus right at an earlier stage, herd Immunity what a load of fecking garbage, they don't even know if you can be infected twice. 

Incompetent fools. 

I'm alluding to it because i can't understand when people give you a direct warning, not just once but three  times, that the people running us just say feck it just the flu, no big deal and decide to keep things as they are, to then backtrack on it. 

Surely It would of made sense to stop the virsus right at an earlier stage, herd Immunity what a load of fecking garbage, they don't even know if you can be infected twice. 

Incompetent fools. 

You can get it twice. It’s likely a rare occurrence though. 

You can get it twice. It’s likely a rare occurrence though. 

Seen that as well 👍. But there is no conclusive evidence you have had it twice, who put it down to people getting a false negative. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Incompetent fools. 

Occam's razor. Forget conspiracy theories - this is the most likely answer. Fortunately there are often enough competent smart folk, normally (although not exclusively) non-politicians, around when the shit actually does hit the fan.

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Think we should do the 9/11 discussion in here rather than hiding through pm. 

Not on this thread though, please. :)

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

😀

Occam's razor. Forget conspiracy theories - this is the most likely answer. Fortunately there are often enough competent smart folk, normally (although not exclusively) non-politicians, around when the shit actually does hit the fan.

Just think personally how it has been handled, when they were giving plenty warning is disgraceful. 

We all seen what was happening in China but for some reason didn't pick up on it?. 

9 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

No chance, I'm out of tin foil and the polis will lift me if I try to get some from the shops.

AlphonseCapone
10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Incompetent fools. 

A lot of people are idiots or willfully selfish. That's the simplistic and most likely answer for me. 

That includes Governments btw. Too often people give Governments significantly more credit than they deserve when they attribute things to conspiracy theories.

In my experience, and without going into details that's more than most people in this particular area, Government decisions that look like they've been done with malevolent intentions or they've ignored advice too long or completely, is almost always due to sheer incompetence or bureaucratic processes. 

P. S. getting into 9/11 would probably break us both mentally at this particular period in time 😆

AlphonseCapone
12 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

125.jpg

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

No chance, I'm out of tin foil and the polis will lift me if I try to get some from the shops.

Outed! Anyone who was a *real* tin foil hat wearer would most certainly have stockpiled enough tin foil to last a nuclear winter or two.

Outed! Anyone who was a *real* tin foil hat wearer would most certainly have stockpiled enough tin foil to last a nuclear winter or two.

To be fair I thought I had plenty but between here and Facebook I've been through more tin foil than toilet roll.🙁

AlphonseCapone

To bring some light heartedness to the thread again, I posted these on the dog thread but most folk would probably enjoy them;

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrAndrewCotter/status/1243539675031232519

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrAndrewCotter/status/1248313303270596610

I'll say that it's on topic because the person likely wouldn't have done them without the lockdown.... 

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

To bring some light heartedness to the thread again, I posted these on the dog thread but most folk would probably enjoy them;

I'll say that it's on topic because the person likely wouldn't have done them without the lockdown.... 

:gok: Seen that earlier. Superb.

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's brilliant.  :rofl:

17 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

:lol: brilliant 

On 09/04/2020 at 11:59, Homme said:

For those that wished my Mrs well last week, she had her appointment at the breast clinic this morning and the ultrasound showed that whatever she does have is non cancerous. 

Huge relief for us both. Thanks to you all for your concern and good wishes. 

Sorry, I only just noticed this.

That is fantastic news mate. Over the moon for you both :)

32 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

'Bad dog' was a bit harsh at the end.

14 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Sorry, I only just noticed this.

That is fantastic news mate. Over the moon for you both :)

Thanks Ian. 

Hope you and your wife are holding up well in this difficult time for you both. 

1 minute ago, Homme said:

Thanks Ian. 

Hope you and your wife are holding up well in this difficult time for you both. 

We’re doing fine mate thanks. The wife is dealing well with it. Just hard for her as she can’t get down to see her family (they’re in Luton/London).

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

'Bad dog' was a bit harsh at the end.

:D He was just joking around. I suspect he overlaid the commentary afterwards anyway.

Fitzroy Pointon
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Thank **** I am not the only one who doesn't trust the police or government to do what is right or not use this opportunity to not exploit the situation.

It's actually worrying me more than the virus, without a word of a lie. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic