Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, gjcc said:

Do they not need to buy normal groceries like the rest of us? Or do the solely live on fags and booze?

Depends on their financial position I suppose. If you’re addicted to something money could well be tight. If it’s a choice between bread and milk or a can of super lager what would an addict choose?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dagger Is Back
6 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Love it Dagger, got some more coming tomorrow, if you order 8 torps it gives you 32 pints for roughly £70. 

That’s a seriously good price. Mind you I think I’d be in some nick after 3 or 4 pints!

Enjoy Tambo

Edited by Dagger Is Back

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

So they are just assuming folk are going to break the law?

Abuse of power. Police are good that. 

They do the exact same with folk going equipped for housebreaking. Would you rather you’re house was broken into even though the police saw the guy tooled up but decided they didn’t want to infringe on his “rights.”

I have to say that I am uneasy about police patrolling the aisles of supermarkets, if that is happening. If a supermarket is open and allowed to sell everything, then folk should be allowed to buy anything they want from it. If there are restrictions on the amount of any one good or type of goods that need to be enforced, then that can be "policed" by the supermarket in the normal way.

The police should realise that the only way they are actually able to enforce law is with the support of the general public - they should not be endangering that situation.

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Depends on their financial position I suppose. If you’re addicted to something money could well be tight. If it’s a choice between bread and milk or a can of super lager what would an addict choose?

They’d choose their addiction over the lives of other folk, clearly. 

These kind of redundant notions only make things harder for the police.   The ultimate destination of mass scepticism of the police is a outright ban on alcohol sales.    Nobody wants that.

Let the police do their job and get a grip.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Ridiculous.    It's a central part of police duties to prevent laws being broken,   especially when there's good reason to believe it is likely.

Try not being a baby.

Not acting like a baby.  Just don't want the police to try and use the limited power the they have on this issue and abuse it. 

Boris said nothing about what people can and can't buy. 

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

They're not doing that.   They're being proactive to prevent abuse of the social distancing laws.    It's called crime prevention.    It's part and parcel of the duties of the police.

But they are apparently standing in what they class as non essential aisles. What has that got to do with social distancing? 

Don’t get me wrong though if they were actually doing what you described then they’ll have to build more prisons never mind hospitals.  

1 minute ago, gjcc said:

They’d choose their addiction over the lives of other folk, clearly. 

Because they’re addicts. It’s not up to the police to decide what’s essential is my real point. Just stop selling non essential items. Trying to police it is going to be an absolute disaster. 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

These kind of redundant notions only make things harder for the police.   The ultimate destination of mass scepticism of the police is a outright ban on alcohol sales.    Nobody wants that.

They won't ban alchohol sales unless they want folk to rebel against the lockdown procedures in protest. 

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The police can’t do their job if their job is to decide what are essential and non essential items. Surprised you don’t realise that. 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

They won't ban alchohol sales unless they want folk to rebel against the lockdown procedures in protest. 

Well done.   You're almost there.    Let the police do their job.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I have to say that I am uneasy about police patrolling the aisles of supermarkets, if that is happening. If a supermarket is open and allowed to sell everything, then folk should be allowed to buy anything they want from it. If there are restrictions on the amount of any one good or type of goods that need to be enforced, then that can be "policed" by the supermarket in the normal way.

The police should realise that the only way they are actually able to enforce law is with the support of the general public - they should not be endangering that situation.

Correct, I don't care what anyone says there is more to this coronavirus, than what is coming out.  Martial law? 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

The police can’t do their job if their job is to decide what are essential and non essential items. Surprised you don’t realise that. 

Surprised you're so ignorant.   That's not what they're doing.    

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

They do the exact same with folk going equipped for housebreaking. Would you rather you’re house was broken into even though the police saw the guy tooled up but decided they didn’t want to infringe on his “rights.”

It is decades since housebreaking was policed in any serious way.

But it is crap analogy anyway. There is no law against buying say beers and Easter eggs  ton top of a loaf of bread. Or indeed buying any "non-essential" item (which term has not been defined in any law) in any shop allowed to open. Off licences are open.

Just now, Victorian said:

Well done.   You're almost there.    Let the police do their job.

Nice swerve. They can’t do their job if their job is to decide what items are essential or not. That makes their job impossible and is going to lead to a PR disaster. The gutter press are already on the case. 

Thailand have banned alcohol sales for 11 days in Bangkok to stop folk getting pissed and breaking social distancing rules. Don't rule it out.

Surprised you're so ignorant.   That's not what they're doing.    

They’re planning to police aisles in some supermarkets already. That’s completely unacceptable. 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Thailand have banned alcohol sales for 11 days in Bangkok to stop folk getting pissed and breaking social distancing rules. Don't rule it out.

that is because they are just starting some national annual celebration

Just now, GinRummy said:

They’re planning to police aisles in some supermarkets already. That’s completely unacceptable. 

got a link proving that?

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It was ONE force that said they would do it and they withdrew the remark about an hour later. It was a ridiculous remark well outside the scope of the law and no force will be doing it unless the law is ramped up to cover it. Even then it would be up to supermarkets to withdraw non essential items from the shelves

Edited by JimmyCant

Acceptable to me.    It's obvious what they're doing.    I'll be thanking them for their efforts as I put some beer in my trolley.   

I think the police patrolling the supermarkets is to make sure social distancing is being enforced and be there to deal with any arseholes given the increased likelihood one will kick off.

Supermarkets feel a lot like airports now.

Acceptable to me.    It's obvious what they're doing.    I'll be thanking them for their efforts as I put some beer in my trolley.   

Fair enough. 

ArcticJambo

Now Cambridgeshire might well just have the one Tesco and they're solely intent on stopping 18/19 yr olds from buying  a couple of 24-pack Black Labels, whcih isn't probably such a bad thing but surely if you enter an establishment with the intent of buying such products and are met with the Old Bill, you'll just go elsewhere to quench your desires.  We likely know what the consequences of those actions could be, in such unprecedented times.  Not sure it's such a wise use of resources, tbqh.

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Correct, I don't care what anyone says there is more to this coronavirus, than what is coming out.  Martial law? 

Extremely unlikely, Bongo, We don't have enough troops left to enforce it for a starter. ;)

Seriously though, it's just a virus. We're not living in a dystopian science-fiction film.

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Now Cambridgeshire might well just have the one Tesco and they're solely intent on stopping 18/19 yr olds from buying  a couple of 24-pack Black Labels, whcih isn't probably such a bad thing but surely if you enter an establishment with the intent of buying such products and are met with the Old Bill, you'll just go elsewhere to quench your desires.  We likely know what the consequences of those actions could be, in such unprecedented times.  Not sure it's such a wise use of resources, tbqh.

there is also a quote from cambridge police

'For clarification, the force position, in line with national guidance, is that we are not monitoring what people are buying from supermarkets,' it said.

Just now, ArcticJambo said:

It is a bad thing. It’s not up to the police to stop people buying things out of shops that are still open. It will lead to a poorer relationship with the police and the public. It’s ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They're identifying suspicious purchases for illegal gatherings.    

The end.

Why are you buying that barbacue? Why are you buying those pringles? Why are you buying that case of beer?  Why are you buying that bottle of vodka? 

Person buying most likely having a barbacue in his back garden with his family but Is being grilled by PC power hungry plod. 

If you can't see the issue with that then you are just a fool. One step in the direction of a police state.

Edited by AlimOzturk

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It is decades since housebreaking was policed in any serious way.

But it is crap analogy anyway. There is no law against buying say beers and Easter eggs  ton top of a loaf of bread. Or indeed buying any "non-essential" item (which term has not been defined in any law) in any shop allowed to open. Off licences are open.

You’ve clearly not been watching police interceptors. 😎

The idea is to reduce the number of times folk are out of their homes. If people want to visit an off license while out for their weekly shop, fine. 

Have they defined “essential travel” in law, if not, why was the CMO lambasted?

Just now, milky_26 said:

'For clarification, the force position, in line with national guidance, is that we are not monitoring what people are buying from supermarkets,' it said.

That’s half a quote. They then said they may question of someone’s journey was essential. It’s the same thing 

WoolfordsHearts
10 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

drF.gif

🤣🤣🤣

I'm finding this waayyyyy funnier than I probably should be mate.

🤣🤣🤣

Anyway,I'm away down to the local      co-op with the shirt off now.

When this all ends one day and PC Plod sticks his big sweaty hooter in my shopping trolley... I promise to be all libertarian and empowered and spray paint ACAB on the nearest patrol car.

The Internet
Just now, GinRummy said:

It is a bad thing. It’s not up to the police to stop people buying things out of shops that are still open. It will lead to a poorer relationship with the police and the public. It’s ridiculous. 

They're not doing that though? Read articles instead of headlines and you'll see. 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Why are you buying that barbacue? Why are you buying those pringles? Why are you buying that case of beer?  Why are you buying that bottle of vodka? 

Person buying most likely having a barbacue in his back garden with his family but Is being grilled by PC power hungry plod. 

If you can't see the issue with that then you are just a fool. Once step in the direction of a police state. 

Ok.

Just now, GinRummy said:

That’s half a quote. They then said they may question of someone’s journey was essential. It’s the same thing 

so if someone is stopped driving on a motorway they should not ask if the journey is essential?

or those idiots who will try and go to places like the lake district camping?

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

They're not doing that though? Read articles instead of headlines and you'll see. 

I did read the article. The guy from Cambridgeshire police said words to the effect of. We aren’t deciding what are essential or non essential goods but we may question if that journey was essential. It amounts to the same thing. 

If you can't see the issue with that then you are just a fool. Once step in the direction of a police state. 

One step in the direction of keeping thousands of people alive. 

You do realise this is temporary don’t you?

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

so if someone is stopped driving on a motorway they should not ask if the journey is essential?

or those idiots who will try and go to places like the lake district camping?

No. It was said in relation to shopping. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Glad you agree with me. 

I don't.    I just replied ok to your pants on the head rant.     You're a ranting mess.

Ok.

Just now, gjcc said:

One step in the direction of keeping thousands of people alive. 

You do realise this is temporary don’t you?

and if people dont stick to it we will end up having a lockdown like italy and spain have. if that happens the same people will complain that the police did not do enough before it to stop it happening

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It was ONE force that said they would do it and they withdrew the remark about an hour later. It was a ridiculous remark well outside the scope of the law and no force will be doing it unless the law is ramped up to cover it. Even then it would be up to supermarkets to withdraw non essential items from the shelves

Ok, thanks for the context, Jimmy.

A further look into it shows that one force threatened it while another implied that they were monitoring the purchasing of non-essential items. Both backtracked later on.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/10/police-now-deciding-count-essential-aisles-supermarkets-12537589/

Edited by redjambo

I did read the article. The guy from Cambridgeshire police said words to the effect of. We aren’t deciding what are essential or non essential goods but we may question if that journey was essential. It amounts to the same thing. 

No it doesn’t. You could have got the items at the same time of your weekly shop, making this trip unnecessary. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No. It was said in relation to shopping. 

not in the link you posted it wasn't, there was nothing about asking people about if their journey was essential

"For clarification, the force position, in line with national guidance, is that we are not monitoring what people are buying from supermarkets,' it said.

'This message was sent with good intentions by an over exuberant officer who has been spoken to since this tweet was published.'

The force added that while it has had to issue a small number of fines to those ignoring lockdown guidance, none of these were in relation to shopping or supermarket visits."

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I don't.    I just replied ok to your pants on the head rant.     You're a ranting mess.

Ok.

Not ranting at all. Just surprised at how easily folk will bend over and let their rights be abused. Don't care of it is in the middle of pandemic or not the police can't be allowed to abuse their powers. 

ArcticJambo
7 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Ahh, I see they've retracted, (or rather clarified) their statement.

While I understand not all folks will be on holiday, and indeed some I assume are getting Easter off, I really don't see how this weekend is any different from any other in these unusual times, and why there's seemingly a need to get blitzed and roll down a wee grassy knoll with your kids and the easter eggs!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic