Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Surely folk realise you shouldn't be going to the shops to buy just booze? You will have to make a repeat journey to buy your actual food shop.  People should be trying to limit their visits to the shops so just buy it all together in one visit, that then lowers yours and others exposure to potential virus. 

The problem is the goverment  have assumed a level of common sense amongst the idiots in our country.  Can imagine some people will going out their way to break the rules just so they look 'hard' :lol:  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

No it doesn’t. You could have got the items at the same time of your weekly shop, making this trip unnecessary. 

It’s not up to the police to decide if someone going back out to buy an extra case of beer is essential or not. It’s completely impossible for the police to be fair and even handed in deciding what people are allowed to shop for and when and how often. It’ll vary from one police officer to another never mind from force to force. 

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Ahh, I see they've retracted, (or rather clarified) their statement.

While I understand not all folks will be on holiday, and indeed some I assume are getting Easter off, I really don't see how this weekend is any different from any other in these unusual times, and why there's seemingly a need to get blitzed and roll down a wee grassy knoll with your kids and the easter eggs!

It's what Jebus would want us to do.

1 minute ago, Shanks said:

Surely folk realise you shouldn't be going to the shops to buy just booze? You will have to make a repeat journey to buy your actual food shop.  People should be trying to limit their visits to the shops so just buy it all together in one visit, that then lowers yours and others exposure to potential virus. 

The problem is the goverment  have assumed a level of common sense amongst the idiots in our country.  Can imagine some people will going out their way to break the rules just so they look 'hard' :lol:  

What about people without cars? 

Is it not obvious why the police are patrolling the supermarkets?

They are the only thing that's open and an essential supplier for surviving lockdown. Folk are having to queue for 20 mins or longer on their own while remaining 2m away from others. Most folk will find that queue a break from being isolated inside, others might get agitated and frustrated. Some might turn up drunk and want in right away...

The place where something will kick off and require police involvement is supermarkets. Having them on site with a visible presence will help, not only those feeling vulnerable but stop the clowns acting out or locking them up if they do.

We could have another 3 months of this... supermarkets are holding society together right now and need protecting.

Mr Adderley later attempted to clarify his remarks, tweeting: 'To be clear on the shopping trolley issue: This is about essential and necessary journeys, not what's in your trolley. I have been clear that we will not be judge and jury on what is an essential item or not, but we may now probe the purpose of the journey

Mr Adderley from Northamptonshire police. 

Edited by GinRummy

ArcticJambo
8 minutes ago, gjcc said:

No it doesn’t. You could have got the items at the same time of your weekly shop, making this trip unnecessary. 

Assuming you have the means too (I agree), however I'm sure there are many folks who don't have a car, and indeed who are being advised to come along to shop alone, without assistance to carry stuff home (not seen a tartan-styled shopping trolley in yrs :D ) so in all likelihood some homes probably have to do their shops in shifts or more frequently.  It's not ideal but probably a reality for quite a few.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Is it not obvious why the police are patrolling the supermarkets?

They are the only thing that's open and an essential supplier for surviving lockdown. Folk are having to queue for 20 mins or longer on their own while remaining 2m away from others. Most folk will find that queue a break from being isolated inside, others might get agitated and frustrated. Some might turn up drunk and want in right away...

The place where something will kick off and require police involvement is supermarkets. Having them on site with a visible presence will help, not only those feeling vulnerable but stop the clowns acting out or locking them up if they do.

We could have another 3 months of this... supermarkets are holding society together right now and need protecting.

Well if that's the case then supermarket should stop selling booze then. Or the government should ban alchohol sales. 

But neither will happen so until that time the police have no right to intervene. None what so ever. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Mr Adderley later attempted to clarify his remarks, tweeting: 'To be clear on the shopping trolley issue: This is about essential and necessary journeys, not what's in your trolley. I have been clear that we will not be judge and jury on what is an essential item or not, but we may now probe the purpose of the journey

Mr Aderrley from Northamptonshire police. 

Precisely.    So all the nappy soiling was unnecessary.

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Well if that's the case then supermarket should stop selling booze then. Or the government should ban alchohol sales. 

But neither will happen so until that time the police have no right to intervene. None what so ever. 

Are they intervening?

The wine shop on Slateford Road is still open, won't get folk buying their groceries in there...

It’s not up to the police to decide if someone going back out to buy an extra case of beer is essential or not. It’s completely impossible for the police to be fair and even handed in deciding what people are allowed to shop for and when and how often. It’ll vary from one police officer to another never mind from force to force. 

So just end the lockdown then? If nobody can police what’s essential it’s meaningless.
Might nip out to get myself some Haribo. 

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

They do have the right to determine whether or not someone is making an "essential journey". But that shouldn't be happening in the supermarkets, imo. If the government is worried about folk making trips just to buy booze then they should be encouraging the supermarkets to introduce rules that any alcohol purchased should have a value less than a certain percentage of the total spend on that trip.

Edited by redjambo

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Precisely.    So all the nappy soiling was unnecessary.

No. It is exactly the same thing. The police are being asked to decide if it’s necessary to shop for some items but not others. That is a recipe for disaster. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

No. It is exactly the same thing. The police are being asked to decide if it’s necessary to shop for some items but not others. That is a recipe for disaster. 

Nope.   You'll get there eventually though.    

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Assuming you have the means too (I agree), however I'm sure there are many folks who don't have a car, and indeed who are being advised to come along to shop alone, without assistance to carry stuff home (not seen a tartan-styled shopping trolley in yrs :D ) so in all likelihood some homes probably have to do their shops in shifts or more frequently.  It's not ideal but probably a reality for quite a few.

You really need to re-evaluate your life if you can be bothered carrying a crate of beer 2 miles home. :lol: 

One of my colleagues got one of them recently on the back of this(early 20’s). He said it’s changed his life. He realises the need to limit the times he’s out and about. 

2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

So just end the lockdown then? If nobody can police what’s essential it’s meaningless.
Might nip out to get myself some Haribo. 

I never said to end the lockdown. What I am saying is you can’t police what people buy even if they dress it up as a non essential journey to buy booze. It’s just not possible. 

JudyJudyJudy

People need to remember that some people do not have cars so cant bulk buy stuff in one visit to a supermarket.  Irrespective of what they are buying  Also some people may not have a freezer so can only buy a limited amount of food to put in their fridge before it goes off.  Therefore i means they may have to go to the shops several times in one week.  And one final point  Surely at times like this alcohol can be viewed as " essential   "?  People want to forget this nightmare at least for one night. ! 

Just now, Victorian said:

Nope.   You'll get there eventually though.    

The quote was in relation to shopping. The police can dress certain shopping up as non essential travel all they like but it amounts to the same thing. The police must then decide which shopping journeys are essential and which are not. That is impossible to police.

I never said to end the lockdown. What I am saying is you can’t police what people buy even if they dress it up as a non essential journey to buy booze. It’s just not possible. 

It’s pointless if it’s that easy to circumvent. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You can, but only through rules applied at supermarkets and other outlets. You can't have police searching bags, cars, till receipts, shopping trolleys or whatever - the loss of trust that will engender in the public is too high a price to pay.

Edited by redjambo

A flight landed today from Madrid without any checks and folk are worried about people buying alchohol from the supermarket. 

If the government can't even get the above right then what ****ing chance do we have. 

People need revaluate the direction of their anger. The authorities are getting this horribly wrong. 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

A flight landed today from Madrid without any checks and folk are worried about people buying alchohol from the supermarket. 

If the government can't even get the above right then what ****ing chance do we have. 

People need revaluate the direction of their anger. The authorities are getting this horribly wrong. 

Which flight was that?

Just now, redjambo said:

You can, but only through rules applied at supermarkets and other outlets. You can't have police searching bags, cars, shopping trolleys or whatever - the loss of trust that will engender in the public is too high a price to pay.

Exactly. Leaving things up to the interpretation of individual police forces is a recipe for disaster. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

The quote was in relation to shopping. The police can dress certain shopping up as non essential travel all they like but it amounts to the same thing. The police must then decide which shopping journeys are essential and which are not. That is impossible to police.

Getting colder again.   Keep at it though.    Try thinking about the intended purpose of certain purchases.     I'll be waiting here with your prize.    A giant Easter Toblerone bar.

Getting colder again.   Keep at it though.    Try thinking about the intended purpose of certain purchases.     I'll be waiting here with your prize.    A giant Easter Toblerone bar.

I hope you bought a loaf and a pint of milk when you bought that Tobelrone. 

The police can’t decide what the intended use of purchases are. That’s impossible to police as well. 

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I'm on repeat here but the only people coming to the UK from Madrid are being repatriated. If they have the virus then the rules are the same as they are for everyone else, go home and self isolate. Why would they be tested?

Francis Albert

I think the WHO (the font of all wisdom to some) has said that international air travel is not a significant risk. I have no idea how they could come to that conclusion. An airplane, where washing and toilet facilities are inadequate, air is recirculated, and social distancing is impossible seems a perfect environment for spreading the virus.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

😆 Since when did the police get given the power to go around shopping malls asking folk what is essential and not essential to their daily lives? 

They'll get telt tae :bolt:

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, GinRummy said:

I hope you bought a loaf and a pint of milk when you bought that Tobelrone. 

The police can’t decide what the intended use of purchases are. That’s impossible to police as well. 

Yes they can.   I hope they're doing it as well.    

The alternative is ban all alcohol sales.    If that becomes necessary then we really are a society of babies.     

People banging on about how the police have our best interests, give me a break. 

Just the other night there my neighbour and her boyfriend rocked up outside in a taxi pissed , an argument started and things got quite heated, the police rocked up and went inside the house. 

Two of them stood there and waited for back up to come, as the guy was chucking stuff and destroying the house. 

It took 8 officers in total to get him out the house and restrain him, after he was put in the van, they stood for 30 minutes outside all chatting away to each other no social distancing or feck all.

I was amazed at what I was seeing then at 3.30 am, they chapped the door and asked if had heard anything the police officer was virtually in my house as soon as I opened the door, I said excuse me for a starters I'm self isolating, and secondly i take it you haven't heard about social distancing. 

He apologised and stepped backwards. 

Seems to me one rule set for some and a different for others. 

I know a lot of good cops that play a fair game, but also know a few that as soon as they put that uniform on they think they are Mr unstoppable. 

The majority are corrupt. 

On top of that the request of the guy that got lifted, they opened the back of the van up and before they left, went back into the house to get his bottle of buckfast, opened the back door and let him finish it before heading off. 

You had to see this to believe it, i opened the window and said as they put the the empty bottle on the pavement, you can't be fecking serious they went what i said really?.

There answer to that was close your window and get back inside, it doesn't concern you, I turned around and said aye well next time don't go chapping people doors, at 3.30am bawbag and closed the window. 

The bottom line is that people should be able to choose what they want to buy, the way this is going and it's maybe the wrong attitude to have, but with this virsus kicking about and them having no cure for it. 

Whether people like it or not, we are set up to die if you don't get it you are extremely lucky, if you survive you are extremely lucky. 

Surely if you are destined to be on the way out, the least we can give to people is the things that they enjoy before they sadly pass away, especially if they aren't being a nuisance to society and can handle there drink?. 

If the government we're really bothered about us do you not think, they would have us on lockdown like China. 

China had everyone staying in doors with food deliverys three time's a week, and one family member allowed to go out twice to get other necessities. 

We are set up to fail this ain't going away anytime soon, so it's best to enjoy what time we have left, I've been so miserable and felt like shit the last 3 weeks because of this. 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

People need to remember that some people do not have cars so cant bulk buy stuff in one visit to a supermarket.  Irrespective of what they are buying  Also some people may not have a freezer so can only buy a limited amount of food to put in their fridge before it goes off.  Therefore i means they may have to go to the shops several times in one week.  And one final point  Surely at times like this alcohol can be viewed as " essential   "?  People want to forget this nightmare at least for one night. ! 

I’m not challenging people buying alcohol. I’m challenging the folk ONLY buying alcohol. Not only does it mean an unknowing carrier of Covid-19 could infect dozens of people just to get beers in, it means that peoples queuing time is needlessly elongated. 

I like a drink, haven’t had one since lockdown started despite working “on the frontline.”

A group of would-be holidaymakers who flew in a private jet from London to the Côte d’Azur in France have been turned back by police.

Seven men and three women arrived on the chartered aircraft to Marseille-Provence airport, where helicopters were waiting to fly them on to Cannes, where they had rented a luxury villa.

The men, aged 40-50, and women, aged 23-25, were refused permission to enter France and ordered by police to fly back to the UK.

The helicopter pilots were told to return to their base and were fined for breaking the French lockdown rules.
Nine of the jet passengers returned to the UK and the 10th chartered a private jet to Berlin.

:ruiner:

Edited by Cade

Fitzroy Pointon
31 minutes ago, gjcc said:

One step in the direction of keeping thousands of people alive. 

You do realise this is temporary don’t you?

You really sure about that? 

The alternative is ban all alcohol sales.    If that becomes necessary then we really are a society of babies.     

It’ll become a circular argument. We’ll see how things go. I hope you’re right and they only intervene when there are clear signs someone is shopping for an illegal gathering etc. I have doubts but see how it pans out. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

It’ll become a circular argument. We’ll see how things go. I hope you’re right and they only intervene when there are clear signs someone is shopping for an illegal gathering etc. I have doubts but see how it pans out. 

We'll see.   

Just now, gjcc said:

Nah, you’re right mate, it’s forever. 

Probably not but I think what he is getting at is that this might give the authorities some idea as to how easily controlled folk are. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

I’m not challenging people buying alcohol. I’m challenging the folk ONLY buying alcohol. Not only does it mean an unknowing carrier of Covid-19 could infect dozens of people just to get beers in, it means that peoples queuing time is needlessly elongated. 

I like a drink, haven’t had one since lockdown started despite working “on the frontline.”

I wasnt clear . I would assume people would buy alcohol as part of their main shopping and not just go to shops for that. 

The Internet
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Probably not but I think what he is getting at is that this might give the authorities some idea as to how easily controlled folk are. 

What so they'll just release a killer virus every so often to stop us going to work? 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Away and gie yersel peace. People can buy what they like for the house and garden. Whether they have events that are out of line with the lockdown is a different matter. You need to calm yer jets a wee bit. 

Edited by ri Alban

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Why is that the alternative and why alcohol?

I am told that it is impossible to buy the stuff women (mainly) use to touch up their roots because it is sold out everywher. Is that essential?  (I don't know but it may contain alcohol). Individual policemen making decisions about what is essential and what is not is just plain crazy.

You’re right. Forgot this was Germany in the 1930’s. Mein fehler. 

30 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Fallen Brewery in Stirling are doing free deliveries within about 36 hours.

No cheap at £1.70 to £4.95 for a 330ml can

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

You’re right. Forgot this was Germany in the 1930’s. Mein fehler. 

Or China in 2020?

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

So many people with so much faith in our government and police force. 

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Why is that the alternative and why alcohol?

I am told that it is impossible to buy the stuff women (mainly) use to touch up their roots because it is sold out everywher. Is that essential?  (I don't know but it may contain alcohol). Individual policemen making decisions about what is essential and what is not is just plain crazy.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Away and gie yersel peace. People can buy what they like for the house and garden. Whether they have events that are out of line with the lockdown is a different matter. You need to calm yer jets a wee bit. 

Thank **** I am not the only one who doesn't trust the police or government to do what is right or not use this opportunity to not exploit the situation.

55 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Why are you buying that barbacue? Why are you buying those pringles? Why are you buying that case of beer?  Why are you buying that bottle of vodka? 

Person buying most likely having a barbacue in his back garden with his family but Is being grilled by PC power hungry plod. 

If you can't see the issue with that then you are just a fool. One step in the direction of a police state.

Got to admit my handful of dealings with the police (mainly because of pals being arses, and me calming down, of course ;) ) is if you are respectful and not smart is that they just ask you to be sensible and be on your way.

It's how you respond back.

It;s the same with folk going on about why some and some are not getting fined.  If you taking the advice and get on your way ok, back chat, fines process starts.

Edited by DETTY29

ArcticJambo
21 minutes ago, gjcc said:

You really need to re-evaluate your life if you can be bothered carrying a crate of beer 2 miles home. :lol: 

One of my colleagues got one of them recently on the back of this(early 20’s). He said it’s changed his life. He realises the need to limit the times he’s out and about. 

Maybe Aldi could have a centre-aisled basket full of those special scarf bunnets the African ladies wear when they're carrying water home to their families.  Shopping bag in each hand and two 24-packs atop yer noggin.  :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Whether people like it or not, we are set up to die if you don't get it you are extremely lucky, if you survive you are extremely lucky. 

Oi, Bongo, no! :D Sorry to say this, but you do really need to take a step back, imo. It's completely understandable that you might be panicking, we all have different reactions to stress, but also trying to get everyone else panicking when the best approach to all this is just to be cool-headed and get through it is not particularly constructive.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic