Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Has Robert Jenrick resigned yet?

why should he?

i drive a 40 mile round journey to deliver shopping to my parents as they are over 70 and staying at home. I drop it off at their door and then drive home again. It is allowed. 

He went to live with his family at their family home. Also allowed.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

why should he?

i drive a 40 mile round journey to deliver shopping to my parents as they are over 70 and staying at home. I drop it off at their door and then drive home again. It is allowed. 

Aye, ok. If that's how you see it. But I'm sure you were spitting Corona at the TV when the CMO did the same. Hypocrisy.

5 minutes ago, Hasselhoff said:

why should he?

Did ye, aye?

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, ok. If that's how you see it. But I'm sure you were spitting Corona at the TV when the CMO did the same. Hypocrisy.

She didn't do the same thing though. She went to her second home. 

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

She didn't do the same thing though. She went to her second home. 

So did he. His first home is elsewhere. So it's identical. His parents neighbours have been delivering to his parents oh and a fellow cabinet member has called him an idiot. 

Hopefully mister 👮 will pay him the same visit the CMO received. The Hypocrite!

Edited by ri Alban

16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So did he. His first home is elsewhere. So it's identical. His parents neighbours have been delivering to his parents oh and a fellow cabinet member has called him an idiot. 

Hopefully mister 👮 will pay him the same visit the CMO received. The Hypocrite!

His family was in the other house so rather than move them he has went and lived with them instead. Maybe the neighbors couldn't bring his dad his medication and shopping anymore. You don't know the reasons for doing so. 

Think your allowing you political leaning here cloud your opinion over this matter. This guy had genuine justifiable excuses when the CMO didn't. 

FWIW I think the reaction to what the CMO did was completely OTT

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Old Tolbooth
13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

We're hardly isolated though in the same way they are. 22 minutes away from mainland Europe by train. 

But even as of yesterday, we were still letting flights into the country from all over the shop and no one is being tested, we had a choice to make ourselves a more isolated island and chose not to take that choice, New Zealand done the exact opposite. 

12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

His family was in the other house so rather than move them he has went and lived with them instead. Maybe the neighbors couldn't bring his dad his medication and shopping anymore. You don't know the reasons for doing so. 

Think your allowing you political leaning here cloud your opinion over this matter. This guy had genuine justifiable excuses when the CMO didn't. 

FWIW I think the reaction to what the CMO did was completely OTT

Do he stayed in London for a week, then goes 150 away to be with family, maybe even with Coronavirus. He's a member of the cabinet who has just broken the lock down rules. I know you don't like complying with this , so I'll take your opinion with extreme bias. 👍.  

Oh and I didn't know he was a pharmacist.

And the CMO was rightly removed.

Edited by ri Alban

15 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

But even as of yesterday, we were still letting flights into the country from all over the shop and no one is being tested, we had a choice to make ourselves a more isolated island and chose not to take that choice, New Zealand done the exact opposite. 

It is incredible that on the one hand we are all being asked to stay in our homes yet at the same time flights are still operating from one virus hotspot to another with absolutely no checks on arrival. At this stage there can only be a tiny number of people making a journey from Madrid to London or vice versa that is genuinely "essential".

Edited by stirlo

Toxteth O'Grady
10 hours ago, redjambo said:

Sweden has carried out 54,700 tests, i.e. 5,416 per million population.

Norway has carried out 121,034 tests, i.e. 22,326 per million population.

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Ceteris paribus, the Norwegian approach appears to have been more successful.

Maybe it is partly down to Geography - Ive been to Norway a few times - lots of towns and villages are pretty isolated and people are well scatttered 

7 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Take with a pinch of salt as Mailonline but article below says 80% of us will get it and no more at risk at home rather than work.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8206409/Coronavirus-Scientific-adviser-Government-says-no-risk-work-home.html

No more at risk than at home ? Well on it’s own that’s a stupid thing to say and no wonder we have idiots roaming about without a care in the world. 🙄

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Do he stayed in London for a week, then goes 150 away to be with family, maybe even with Coronavirus. He's a member of the cabinet who has just broken the lock down rules. I know you don't like complying with this , so I'll take your opinion with extreme bias. 👍.  

Oh and I didn't know he was a pharmacist.

And the CMO was rightly removed.

And he plans to go back to Westminster “when he is needed”, moving home again. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

No more at risk than at home ? Well on it’s own that’s a stupid thing to say and no wonder we have idiots roaming about without a care in the world. 🙄

Yea they are not really getting their message straight and is not helping !!

Despite clarification yesterday, we've got police in Cambridgeshire policing the 'non-essential' aisles in a Tesco. They're absolutely determined to drive a divide between the authorities and the public at a time when we most need cooperation.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Despite clarification yesterday, we've got police in Cambridgeshire policing the 'non-essential' aisles in a Tesco. They're absolutely determined to drive a divide between the authorities and the public at a time when we most need cooperation.

Seems reasonable to me.    Shoppers with a trolley full of groceries putting in beer and wine.    No problem.    Shoppers with an empty trolley loading up a large quantity of beer,  etc.    Quite right to ask questions.

Aye there's no harm in picking up some sweets or booze if you have a trolley full of essentials as well.

Only going in for bevvy should be questioned.

Was in the local shop yesterday and was in the line at the checkout.Guy at the front who was no more than 23 is chatting away to the girl behind the checkout ( has those visor things up ) when he wipes over his whole face with his hand oblivious to what he had done.30 secs or something later he shouts out **** I have just wiped my face with my hands.

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Almost all flights are now cargo only or are for repatriation purposes.

Why would anyone want to come to the UK? We've got it just as bad if not worse than everywhere else.

Also, why should the rules for testing be different for anyone coming into the country? Anyone showing symptoms should self isolate, nobody is coming here for a jolly mate.

1 hour ago, stirlo said:

It is incredible that on the one hand we are all being asked to stay in our homes yet at the same time flights are still operating from one virus hotspot to another with absolutely no checks on arrival. At this stage there can only be a tiny number of people making a journey from Madrid to London or vice versa that is genuinely "essential".

Your last point is absolutely correct unless you think there's hundreds of infected Spaniards coming over for a wee holiday.

Any flights are virtually empty apart from cargo and people returning home.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

To be fair I feel safer at my work than when I have to go to the supermarket.  Even when you are at home it's nearly impossible to bring your exposure down to zero.

It will come to a point where they will have to ease the lockdowns, we will all end up catching this virus but it's about spreading the deaths out so the hospitals aren't too overwhelmed.  

4 minutes ago, Shanks said:

To be fair I feel safer at my work than when I have to go to the supermarket.  Even when you are at home it's nearly impossible to bring your exposure down to zero.

It will come to a point where they will have to ease the lockdowns, we will all end up catching this virus but it's about spreading the deaths out so the hospitals aren't too overwhelmed.  

I don’t disagree with that, Supermarkets are doing their best but some shoppers are still behaving like utter arseholes. Normally the fannys jumping about with masks on thinking they are invincible. 

Edited by Dazo

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, graygo said:

Almost all flights are now cargo only or are for repatriation purposes.

Why would anyone want to come to the UK? We've got it just as bad if not worse than everywhere else.

Also, why should the rules for testing be different for anyone coming into the country? Anyone showing symptoms should self isolate, nobody is coming here for a jolly mate.

They are not. 

There are still passenger carrying flights arriving daily into UK airports. No quarantine. No checks.

Where the **** is the home secretary?

46 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Seems reasonable to me.    Shoppers with a trolley full of groceries putting in beer and wine.    No problem.    Shoppers with an empty trolley loading up a large quantity of beer,  etc.    Quite right to ask questions.

The government have already stated that shops identified as allowed to be open are also allowed to sell their normal range of stock. If you were buying a case of beer you'd put it in the trolley first, not on top of all your groceries.

I've no issue with them being at checkouts questioning those who have only bought non-essential items and finding out why they've done it. Could be something they forgot to buy and have nipped back in for it. But roaming up and down the booze aisles is stupid. Also if were saying people can only buy essential goods why not just prepackage boxes of meat and vegetables and only sell those to stop people milling around a supermarket...99% of their product range is non essential.

14 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Possibly but shows they had no excuses re equipment etc.

They should never have excuses for that

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They are not. 

There are still passenger carrying flights arriving daily into UK airports. No quarantine. No checks.

Where the **** is the home secretary?

Smirking under a rock

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm beginning to think that we've been had.  But surely no one would pull a sick stunt like that.

I wouldnt put it past them mate . Not at all. 

57 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Your just so happy to roll over and allow the authorities to tickle your belly. There is reasonable steps the police can take but telling folk what they can and can't buy is taking the *****. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Your just so happy to roll over and allow the authorities to tickle your belly. There is reasonable steps the police can take but telling folk what they can and can't buy is taking the *****. 

So what you’re basically saying is...

GET OUT - GET THE BEERS IN - **** THE NHS

The Mighty Thor

Apologies if already posted, but I couldn't see it.

A follow up or extension of yesterday's rammy over passport office staff being told to go back to work,  however this time with the context of an insight into the government's strategic thinking, which would appear to be that they don't give a shit about the 'collateral damage' 

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/leaked-home-office-call-reveals-uk-government-wants-economy-to-continue-running-as-we-will-all-get-covid-19-anyway/

15 minutes ago, gjcc said:

So what you’re basically saying is...

GET OUT - GET THE BEERS IN - **** THE NHS

No, what I am saying is the police can't tell you what to  buy or not to buy. Folk might have went and got medicine from Asda or needed toilet roll and thought, I'll have a few beers in my house tonight. **** all to do with the police. 

If they catch said people drinking in a park or having house parties then different. 

Just because there is a virus floating about doesn't give the police the right to abuse their powers. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

32 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I don’t disagree with that, Supermarkets are doing their best but some shoppers are still behaving like utter arseholes. Normally the fannys jumping about with masks on thinking they are invincible. 

I use Morrisons at the gyle and they've got a pretty good set up, as you say it's the walloper shoppers that are the problem.  I feel really anxious at the shops as it feels like I don't have much control. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Quote from that article 

"But former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith said he believed the lockdown should be ended soon for the sake of the economy."   He really is vile.  

16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The government have already stated that shops identified as allowed to be open are also allowed to sell their normal range of stock. If you were buying a case of beer you'd put it in the trolley first, not on top of all your groceries.

I've no issue with them being at checkouts questioning those who have only bought non-essential items and finding out why they've done it. Could be something they forgot to buy and have nipped back in for it. But roaming up and down the booze aisles is stupid. Also if were saying people can only buy essential goods why not just prepackage boxes of meat and vegetables and only sell those to stop people milling around a supermarket...99% of their product range is non essential.

Whatabouttery.

It's not a question of being exact regarding essential and non-essential items.   It's about trying to be sensible.   People going about reasonable and normal shopping have nothing to worry about.    It will be pretty obvious to the police as to who they're trying to prevent from making non-essential trips.     They'll be trying to identify purchases likely to be for leisure activities like trips away,   social bbqs,   parties,   etc.

It's absolutely reasonable.    The reasons for it could not be clearer or more important.    People need to get a grip and not fixate on normal standards of civil liberty.

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

No, what I am saying is the police can't tell you what to ****ing buy or not to buy. Folk might have went and got medicine from Asda or needed toilet roll and thought, **** it I'll have a few beers in my house tonight. **** all to do with the police. 

Or they could be sitting at home with a fridge full of necessities and think “fek it I’m going to get some non-essential items in so I can get pissed”

People aren’t arsed if you’re already out and about getting essentials and buy non-essential items. But going out solely for that is imbecile behaviour. 
Those that “might have went and got medicine from Asda” will have no problem proving that if asked. 

19 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Nonsense.   It's obvious what they're trying to achieve.     

Fire_At_The_Disco

I’ve got a Heineken sub beer machine, I order the 4 pint “torps” from beerwolf. It’s an absolute godsend the now... pints at home. 😀

C4AA087E-5492-4378-8C02-B17283A76B1D.jpeg

FB5F0AF5-4A88-4BF3-9318-C34950711E31.jpeg

2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Or they could be sitting at home with a fridge full of necessities and think “fek it I’m going to get some non-essential items in so I can get pissed”

People aren’t arsed if you’re already out and about getting essentials and buy non-essential items. But going out solely for that is imbecile behaviour. 
Those that “might have went and got medicine from Asda” will have no problem proving that if asked. 

😆 Since when did the police get given the power to go around shopping malls asking folk what is essential and not essential to their daily lives? 

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

I’ve got a Heineken sub beer machine, I order the 4 pint “torps” from beerwolf. It’s an absolute godsend the now... pints at home. 😀

C4AA087E-5492-4378-8C02-B17283A76B1D.jpeg

FB5F0AF5-4A88-4BF3-9318-C34950711E31.jpeg

La Rossa is a lovely tipple

😆 Since when did the police get given the power to go around shopping malls asking folk what is essential and not essential to their daily lives? 

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

They're not doing that.   They're being proactive to prevent abuse of the social distancing laws.    It's called crime prevention.    It's part and parcel of the duties of the police.

11 minutes ago, gjcc said:

What about people reliant on alcohol or tobacco products?

Edited by GinRummy

Fire_At_The_Disco
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

La Rossa is a lovely tipple

Love it Dagger, got some more coming tomorrow, if you order 8 torps it gives you 32 pints for roughly £70. 

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

They're not doing that.   They're being proactive to prevent abuse of the social distancing laws.    It's called crime prevention.    It's part and parcel of the duties of the police.

So they are just assuming folk are going to break the law?

Abuse of power. Police are good that. 

See if bought..cheese and milk with my beers is that classed as an essential journey as, honestly I cant live without my cup of tea and cheese on toast in the mornings. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

What about people reliant on alcohol or tobacco products?

Do they not need to buy normal groceries like the rest of us? Or do the solely live on fags and booze?

Do you want the police to be furloughed too and then everyone can riot in the streets and do what they like?

Ridiculous.    It's a central part of police duties to prevent laws being broken,   especially when there's good reason to believe it is likely.

Try not being a baby.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic