Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

😂

I thought it was quite impressive myself. 

Try getting pizza delivered at 8 every Thursday. :lol: 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

If being tested will have been in a "suspected" ward not a "normal" ward...

Was what was relayed, was that he was put into a normal DME ward then transfered after testing positive.

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I had to tell someone off on Facebook today who was stating that the lockdown would probably be happening for another 3 months.  Yes that might be true i noted but be sensitive to peoples anxieties about the whole lockdown so posting what " might" happen doesnt really help people . It only creates more anxiety and distress Im certainly not a head in the sand type of person but lets try and post the truth and not rumours , suppositions etc based on ones own knowledge . 

But I heard it could last a year!

;)

Spot on, James. :thumb:

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, gjcc said:

Try getting pizza delivered at 8 every Thursday. :lol: 

That's probably more realistic than getting yer shopping delivered to be fair. 

Have you tried getting a delivery slot or even a click n collect?

The next available slot is like 2 weeks later.

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, Space Pirate said:

Try 3 weeks more like.

JudyJudyJudy
53 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Boris on the mend - good news

a miracle recovery at Easter where have I heard that before ?

Yep its an incredible "story" ...almost blblical...almost as if someone thought it up..

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Try 3 weeks more like.

Was at the supermarkets the day. stood in a cue for 10 minutes for home bargains, went to go to sainbury's, just seeing them all standing there like lemons put me off, went to to go to asda and the cue was from one end of the building to the other.

It all led to me ending up on here talking to you with a dominos. 

Edited by Space Pirate

2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

So I’ve heard! Haven’t bothered looking myself. I’d rather someone old and/or vulnerable had my slot since I’ve no problem getting to the shop. 

maroondevo52

Royal Mail Relay will be delivering Test Kits throughout the uk and collecting Kits and dropping them off at Testing centres.

24 hours per day 7 days per week.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

But I heard it could last a year!

;)

Spot on, James. :thumb:

Cheers ! 

43 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

Apologies if already posted

This was on my timeline earlier on.

Interesting in that it seems that the authorities were well aware of the possible outcome of any pandemic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Cygnus

Edit to say new to me but seems like relatively well known

not much detail there but I can bet the hypothetical flu was nowhere near as infectious as this one is. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Was at the supermarkets the day. stood in a cue for 10 minutes for home bargains, went to go to sainbury's, just seeing them all standing there like lemons put me off, went to to go to asda and the cue was from one end of the building to the other.

It all led to me ending up on here talking to you with a dominos. 

Yeah i always look in my local Sainsbury before going in. I wont go in if its busy. Yesterday it was very quiet so went in

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, gjcc said:

So I’ve heard! Haven’t bothered looking myself. I’d rather someone old and/or vulnerable had my slot since I’ve no problem getting to the shop. 

I totally agree, 

I'm just greetin cos i only just got into the whole click n collect thing about a month before all this shit started, i even got 1 months free delivery. 

now i cannae even get a slot cos folk are dying! selfish *******s. 

28 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Why are you devastated? You have already told everyone on here you think you had virus but have now recovered, so if that is the case, you should be positive. Failing that, what exactly are you hoping to achieve being so negative every single post.

Get of Internet , read a book, do some exercise or something to get blood moving. Failing that, get some help.

Gutted that there isn't going to be any football for ages mate, I think I had it can't confirm I did. 

And there is nothing to stop me if I did have it getting it again?.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Gutted that there isn't going to be any football for ages mate, I think I had it can't confirm I did. 

Mate, we've no seen any football in years anyway. 

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The Swedish may be less sociable (£10 a pint) than us Brit's, hence their lower contagion. Please be aware of that wee word "may". You missed it in my first reference to TOT's post or maybe you were just being your predictable omniscient self.   

Your use of the word may did not make your point any less wrong. Omniscience wasn't required to point that out.

Antarctica and Greenland  have a much larger  ratio of land mass to population than Sweden but that has nothing to do with the relatively low incidence of Caronavirus in either place. Not even "may not".

Edited by Francis Albert

1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

Mate, we've no seen any football in years anyway. 

Well you could be right about that 😂, just shows you should never take the small things in life for granted. 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Nah. We'll have something on the go before August. Now which division we'll be in, that's a different question.

Don't listen to all the negative news. Some folk have agendas to make us all feel scared or down. At the moment, believe it or not, we've fairly got the measure of the virus. It could have been very much worse.

I wish you were right mate, but how can you watch football, in a stadium that holds over 20 thousand people. 

Just don't think it's going to happen the only way out of it is a vaccine, and that could take until the end of the year. 

AlphonseCapone
15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Maybe, but maybe not;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/04/08/can-you-get-sick-with-coronavirus-again-after-youve-already-had-it-new-research-continues-to-emerge-but-the-jury-is-still-out/

20 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

not much detail there but I can bet the hypothetical flu was nowhere near as infectious as this one is. 

Possibly but shows they had no excuses re equipment etc.

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Are Scotland counting deaths in care homes, along with hospital deaths?. 

NRS figures released on Wednesday that cover deaths up to Sunday just past covered community deaths, including care homes. 

Minister for Housing, Communities and Local Government, Robert Jenrick,  has been caught flouting the lockdown rules by travelling to visit his parents.

This is despite him being on the telly telling people not to do just that.

I eagerly await for the calls for him to resign.

Over to you, JKB.

48 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Your use of the word may did not make your point any less wrong. Omniscience wasn't required to point that out.

Antarctica and Greenland  have a much larger  ratio of land mass to population than Sweden but that has nothing to do with the relatively low incidence of Caronavirus in either place. Not even "may not".

Point 1:- Sweden has a land mass is 2.5 greater than the UK. Point 2:- Sweden has 1/6th of the population of the UK, both correct.

I can use may to indicate that something will possibly happen or be true in the future, but I can't be certain, so apart from the above, I made no other point.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

dobmisterdobster
9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Minister for Housing, Communities and Local Government, Robert Jenrick,  has been caught flouting the lockdown rules by travelling to visit his parents.

Over to you, JKB.

Delivering medicines to his elderly father.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Surely someone more local could have delivered the medicines, instead of Jenrick driving 40 miles to deliver them.

dobmisterdobster
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Surely someone more local could have delivered the medicines, instead of Jenrick driving 40 miles to deliver them.

I don't know his circumstances but I do similar stuff for my father-in-law. Essential travel and all that.

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I don't know his circumstances but I do similar stuff for my father-in-law. Essential travel and all that.

I'd have thought his Father would be getting his medicines from his local chemist, not one 40 miles away.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Francis Albert
21 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Point 1:- Sweden has a land mass is 2.5 greater than the UK. Point 2:- Sweden has 1/6th of the population of the UK, both correct.

I can use may to indicate that something will possibly happen or be true in the future, but I can't be certain, so apart from the above, I made no other point.

Ok but neither of your points supported the view that Sweden may be different on those grounds. Which I thought maybe wrongly that that was what your were suggesting. Apologies if I misunderstood.

From the Beeb

Sweden is one of the few European countries to avoid a full lockdown. While social distancing is in place, schools remain open across the country, as do bars and restaurants. You can read more about it here.

That approach has come in for some criticism, at home and abroad. On Thursday the assistant director of Norway’s Directorate of Health, Espen Rostrup Nakstad, said the Swedish plan was “completely wrong”.

He told newspaper VG that countries that initially adopted a “braking strategy” would have to quickly switch to stronger measures to contain any spread.

But Anders Tegnell, the chief epidemiologist at Sweden’s Public Health Agency, has defended his country’s efforts.

“Norway chose the general strategy of closing as much as possible… to gain some respite,” he told Norway’s public broadcaster NRK.

“We are trying to do the same, but have accepted that closing the community is not the solution.”

As of Thursday, Sweden has reported 793 dead in total – rising from 687 on Wednesday – with over 9,000 confirmed cases in all. Norway has reported 88 deaths and 6,160 confirmed cases.

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep its an incredible "story" ...almost blblical...almost as if someone thought it up..

Correct 

sufficiently unwell to go into icu. 

in reality all these jokers work almost 24/7 - all he was needing was a good rest.

Edited by Montgomery Brewster

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Correct 

sufficiently unwell to go into icu. 

in reality all these jokers work almost 24/7 - all he was needing was a good rest.

He’s had three holidays this year already and is widely regarded as an ill informed slacker.

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

From the Beeb

Sweden is one of the few European countries to avoid a full lockdown. While social distancing is in place, schools remain open across the country, as do bars and restaurants. You can read more about it here.

That approach has come in for some criticism, at home and abroad. On Thursday the assistant director of Norway’s Directorate of Health, Espen Rostrup Nakstad, said the Swedish plan was “completely wrong”.

He told newspaper VG that countries that initially adopted a “braking strategy” would have to quickly switch to stronger measures to contain any spread.

But Anders Tegnell, the chief epidemiologist at Sweden’s Public Health Agency, has defended his country’s efforts.

“Norway chose the general strategy of closing as much as possible… to gain some respite,” he told Norway’s public broadcaster NRK.

“We are trying to do the same, but have accepted that closing the community is not the solution.”

As of Thursday, Sweden has reported 793 dead in total – rising from 687 on Wednesday – with over 9,000 confirmed cases in all. Norway has reported 88 deaths and 6,160 confirmed cases.

It seems to suit them better, for now anyway.

44 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

my brother in law delivers food to his parents, my parents his aunt and his brother who all have to self isolate. that takes him over east lothian and down to i think near dumfries

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

From the Beeb

Seems an odd discrepancy between confirmed cases and deaths.

Toxteth O'Grady
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Seems an odd discrepancy between confirmed cases and deaths.

Depends on how many people are tested - the stats are not comparable.

6 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Sweden has carried out 54,700 tests, i.e. 5,416 per million population.

Norway has carried out 121,034 tests, i.e. 22,326 per million population.

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Ceteris paribus, the Norwegian approach appears to have been more successful.

Francis Albert
18 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I don't think any of the stats are cmparable

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Why not try and see it from the angle that IF you did have it, it MAY make you immune in the future. Surely better than constantly looking at it from the other perspective. (and I'm as "chicken" as they come)

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I'm beginning to think that we've been had.  But surely no one would pull a sick stunt like that.

Edited by ri Alban

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm beginning to think that we've been had.  But surely no one would pull a sick stunt like that.

Hi Ri

What are you up to?

Did you manage to get another job?

19 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hi Ri

What are you up to?

Did you manage to get another job?

Nothing yet, I've not really tried , deciding whether to risk using my taxi badge, tho. 

What about yersel, Tam? 

Tommy Brown
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nothing yet, I've not really tried , deciding whether to risk using my taxi badge, tho. 

What about yersel, Tam? 

I'm ok.

I work permanently from home with my job.

I'm high risk, actually going through chemo  in the western since Monday., it's went well, staff are tremendous. Will get home this morning.

Being able to work to work from is huge, really appreciate how furrloghed must hate lock down. It's worrying the mental health aspect to this, families not getting on, etc.

Stick in bud.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm ok.

I work permanently from home with my job.

I'm high risk, actually going through chemo  in the western since Monday., it's went well, staff are tremendous. Will get home this morning.

Being able to work to work from is huge, really appreciate how furrloghed must hate lock down. It's worrying the mental health aspect to this, families not getting on, etc.

Stick in bud.

Look after yourself Tommy. 👍 Hopefully not much longer for everyone to deal with this.

If it wasn't for the wife id be in trouble.

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I was thinking the same this morning. If he gets out of hospital on Sunday it will make me even more suspect. Mind you, maybe I'm just too cynical.

6 minutes ago, superjack said:

I was thinking the same this morning. If he gets out of hospital on Sunday it will make me even more suspect. Mind you, maybe I'm just too cynical.

I'm very cynical at the best of times. But I just have to keep faith in people. 

Edited by ri Alban

The Mighty Thor
12 hours ago, graygo said:

Also percentage increase gives a false picture.

If you've got £1 and I give you 20p that's 20%.

If I've got 10p and you give me 5p that's 50%.

Yet you got 4 times what I got.

I'd imagine if community deaths are added in by PH England, then the numbers will look much worse and they're already up at 800-900 per day. 

10 hours ago, Cade said:

Over to you, JKB.

10 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

10 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Potentially could depend if people are on the 12 week must stay at home list who should be covered by food and medicine deliveries which England were due to complete mailing by 29 March and then get logistics in place.

Scotland have been sending texts to some folk but haven't sent finalised letters yet, or logistics.

Sorry missed DMDs quote about travelling 40 miles to deliver his father's medicine.  This shouldn't be happening in any of the 4 nations - local health boards by now or at very least miles further down the line.

I do know that my dad has received a call from his local council to ensure that he can get everything that he needs. 

Well over 70 but looks like he won't be on the 200k (although could be included in the delay) of Scots formally told he must stay at home.  So he's on once a week pensioners supermarket visit and has a month supply of meds.  Luckily lives rural on outskirts of a small town so gets outs every second day for a country walk and barely sees a soul

Edited by DETTY29

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic