Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Can't see that not being the case.    Would not be surprised if the next 7 day total exceeds 12,000.    We're on course for a much higher toll than Italy and Spain.

Fact they have said they won't know if this lockdown is working until next week is telling it ain't getting better anytime soon

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Why will we be the worst hit exactly? 

In terms of the death toll i meant. Just the way the numbers are going.

21 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yeah i noticed that. Belgium seem to wracking up the numbers as well :(

Thanks for that update Gordon, did you enjoy your run?

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Fact they have said they won't know if this lockdown is working until next week is telling it ain't getting better anytime soon

The back end is starting to show some progress but,   as we all now know,   it takes weeks for it to translate through to the front end.     It's those sort of figures for 7-14 days then.    Horrific.

8 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Thanks for that update Gordon, did you enjoy your run?

Gordon? Not sure what your getting at there

Actually the run was ****ing terrible. I fell a ****er and scraped my knee and elbow and pretty much wrecked my newish phone. Thankfully insured. No sign of Covid 19 though

Maybe my own doing for being a smart arse earlier  😐

Edited by AlimOzturk

The tables i posted last night where wrong as i started my tables from the first death reported. I learnt last night that all the official tables start from 10+ total deaths. The new table shows that we are already well ahead of Italy before reaching Italy's peak.

Date Deaths D/Deaths Deaths D/Deaths Date Diferance
  Italy     UK    
26-Feb 12 #VALUE! 10 21 14-Mar -9
27-Feb 17 5 14 35 15-Mar -18
28-Feb 21 4 20 55 16-Mar -34
29-Feb 29 8 16 71 17-Mar -42
01-Mar 34 5 33 104 18-Mar -70
02-Mar 52 18 40 144 19-Mar -92
03-Mar 79 27 33 177 20-Mar -98
04-Mar 107 28 56 233 21-Mar -126
05-Mar 148 41 48 281 22-Mar -133
06-Mar 197 49 54 335 23-Mar -138
07-Mar 233 36 87 422 24-Mar -189
08-Mar 366 133 41 463 25-Mar -97
09-Mar 463 97 115 578 26-Mar -115
10-Mar 631 168 181 759 27-Mar -128
11-Mar 827 196 260 1019 28-Mar -192
12-Mar 1015 188 209 1228 29-Mar -213
13-Mar 1266 251 180 1408 30-Mar -142
14-Mar 1441 175 381 1789 31-Mar -348
15-Mar 1809 368 563 2352 01-Apr -543
16-Mar 2158 349 569 2921 02-Apr -763
17-Mar 2503 345 684 3605 03-Apr -1102
18-Mar 2979 476 708 4313 04-Apr -1334
19-Mar 3405 426 621 4934 05-Apr -1529
20-Mar 4032 627 439 5373 06-Apr -1341
21-Mar 4825 793 786 6159 07-Apr -1334
22-Mar 5476 651 938 7097 08-Apr -1621
23-Mar 6077 601     09-Apr  
24-Mar 6820 743     10-Apr  
25-Mar 7503 683     11-Apr  
26-Mar 8215 712     12-Apr  
27-Mar 9134 919     13-Apr  
28-Mar 10023 889     14-Apr  
29-Mar 10779 756     15-Apr  
30-Mar 11591 812     16-Apr  
31-Mar 12428 837        
01-Apr 13155 727        
02-Apr 13915 760        
03-Apr 14681 766        
04-Apr 15362 681        
05-Apr 15887 525        
06-Apr 16523 636        
07-Apr 17127 604        
08-Apr 17669 542        

Edited by flecktimus

J.T.F.Robertson
42 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Great stuff.

Nice to see a story like that amidst all the gloom

Saved me typing. (although it hasnae, really :mw_rolleyes:)

7 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Saved me typing. (although it hasnae, really :mw_rolleyes:)

:wink: 

Jambo-Jimbo

I was totally unaware of this until I heard a guest on Sky News mentioned it.

Seemingly Taiwan warned the WHO on the 31 December that there was evidence of human to human transmission.
WHO ignored the warnings because Taiwan isn't a member of the WHO because China has blocked their entry.

In mid January WHO said that there might be limited human to human transmission.

But It wasn't until 20 January that China finally admitted that there was confirmed human to human transmission.

3 weeks of vital time was lost by the WHO, 3 weeks when millions of Chinese could have been travelling all over the World spreading the virus as they go, and WHO for political reasons ignored the warnings.

https://www.ft.com/content/2a70a02a-644a-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

Walter Bishop

We will be coming into the period now where anyone at Cheltenham, last football matches, concerts, last week before lockdown etc will be falling ill based on the 3-4 weeks it takes to get seriously ill. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Everyone ignored the warnings about this. No one in the western world took it seriously.

The WHO played down the warnings. 

Well that's what you get after 10 years of Tory rule and gobshite "austerity"

Edited by Cade

18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Gordon? Not sure what your getting at there

Actually the run was ****ing terrible. I fell a ****er and scraped my knee and elbow and pretty much wrecked my newish phone. Thankfully insured. No sign of Covid 19 though

Maybe my own doing for being a smart arse earlier  😐

It isn't necessary that you get it. Mind how you go on your future runs, sounds nasty and a bit careless. 

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

If the Daily Mail is right then even if Boris makes it he ought to be taken out back to a firing squad...

image.thumb.png.66b7d68d6545a4f3618e6e8f55ffc0ae.png

That's mind blowing, i cant believe we will hit those numbers.

scott herbertson
Just now, flecktimus said:

I also think the Italian, French and Spanish numbers look too low - only 1700 more deaths in Italy - no chance - they had over 500 yesterday alone

4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No no no i don't agree with that one bit, when as a nation are we going to get our fingers out of our arse, they are basing people in hospital with suspected or confirmed, there is nothing to say they haven't had different complications, or when they go to hospital they end up picking up the virus. 

What a fecking shambles our country is an utter fecking shambles, the amount of community testing that could be done with everyone sitting at home, with there thumbs up there ass. 

It's driving me fecking crazy we can't even test out front line nhs staff properly, jesus tonight chicken and fecking rice. 

I tell you what guys the longer this goes on, and the less inactivity we get as human beings, it's not going to matter how much exercise you do a day, people are going to be admitted on other stuff. 

There is no solution on a way out of this basically it's a case of counting down the days, and hoping you don't get it. 

If you believe that last bit to be true then why is our country a shambles?

2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I also think the Italian, French and Spanish numbers look too low - only 1700 more deaths in Italy - no chance - they had over 500 yesterday alone

Daily Mail. We will leave it at that :)

We could have something like those numbers but as a running total later in the year,   or after a second wave after lockdown.    We're well on the way towards that.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

If you believe that last bit to be true then why is our country a shambles?

Because like other countries we didn't take it seriously, see the consequences. Edit 

Say we slowly go back to how it was, where does that leave elderly people, and people at high risk will we just allow them to come out again, or are they on house arrest for the rest of there life's?.

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

We could have something like those numbers but as a running total later in the year,   or after a second wave after lockdown.    We're well on the way towards that.

My thoughts have now sort of turned to the second wave.Watching China very closely.

3 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

My thoughts have now sort of turned to the second wave.Watching China very closely.

Yeah. 

17 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

I wonder if they have come up with those numbers because of the lack of beds we have compared to other big nations

Walter Bishop
32 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

If the Daily Mail is right then even if Boris makes it he ought to be taken out back to a firing squad...

That's from IMHE they predict we will have 60,000 by end of this month. 

scott herbertson
Just now, vegas-voss said:

I wonder if they have come up with those numbers because of the lack of beds we have compared to other big nations

I believe it was more on the basis that we did not lock down early enough (see also Sweden)

35 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Beds available that's the 'criminal' figure

Now what would be handy would be comparison from end Thatcher era through to now.

Edit - if that figure is reliable as I'm not convinced on the others as it is.

Edited by DETTY29

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-path-speci-idUSKBN21P1VF

If this article is true, it's a damning article ...

Some of the stuff that leapt out at me ...

Two days later, China put the city of Wuhan, where the outbreak began, into a complete lockdown. Hubei, the surrounding province, would follow. But already, 17 passenger flights had flown directly from Wuhan to Britain since the start of 2020, and 614 flights from the whole of China, according to FlightRadar24, a flight-tracking service. That meant thousands of Chinese, some of them potential carriers, had come to Britain. On April 5, scientific adviser Ferguson said he estimated only one-third of infected people reaching Britain had been detected

“We had milder interventions in place,” said Edmunds, because no one thought it would be acceptable politically “to shut the country down.” He added: “We didn’t model it because it didn’t seem to be on the agenda. And Imperial (College) didn’t look at it either.” The NERVTAG committee agreed, noting in its minutes that tough measures in the short term would be pointless, as they “would only delay the UK outbreak, not prevent it.”

By the end of January, the government’s chief medical adviser, Whitty, was explaining to politicians in private, according to at least two people who spoke to him, that if the virus escaped China, it would in time infect the great majority of people in Britain. It could only be slowed down, not stopped. On Jan 30, the government raised the threat level to “moderate” from “low.

Unbelievably there was 9 flights into Heathrow before 10.30am today from the current epicentre of the global pandemic the good ol US of A.

No quarantine. No checks. 

2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I believe it was more on the basis that we did not lock down early enough (see also Sweden)

A comparison of the relative lockdown dates in the different European countries:

_111648245_european_countries_lockdown_cv_640-3x-nc.thumb.png.ac27458ce012eb6ab971bb6d5fae38f7.png

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Unbelievably there was 9 flights into Heathrow before 10.30am today from the current epicentre of the global pandemic the good ol US of A.

No quarantine. No checks. 

South Korea you are taken away and tested immediately.  And then quarantined if need be.

The South Koreans are shaking their heads at notably ours and the USAs approach.

Of course, President Bawbag announced that countries including South Korea were ringing him up to congratulate him and taking the best approach.

It's all about travel.   China's second wave will be driven by inward travel.   They have a 1.7bn population to transmit and incubate it to a tremendous level.   Then everyone else will get clobbered by inward travel from China and secondary epidemics elsewhere.

Unless we have the gumption to keep on top of it.    Confident?    Me neither.

9 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

That's from IMHE they predict we will have 60,000 by end of this month. 

Probably - Daily Mail is a Tory tabloid. I don't know about the other countries but those UK shortfalls are shocking...

9 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Aye Sweden and Netherlands but they are still nothing compared to the numbers predicted for UK deaths

23 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Because like other countries we didn't take it seriously, see the consequences. Edit 

Say we slowly go back to how it was, where does that leave elderly people, and people at high risk will we just allow them to come out again, or are they on house arrest for the rest of there life's?.

What's your solution then? Lockdown until a vaccine is found?

If we had acted as soon as the first case was recorded how do you think things would play out?

Just now, graygo said:

If we had acted as soon as the first case was recorded how do you think things would play out?

I'm hoping that we have enough data after all this that we can run through various models and see exactly what would have happened in that case.

And of course we need to have the mother of all public inquiries.

On a related point, I would also hope at the very least that all those in Government circles who promoted herd immunity through infection at the start of all this will no longer be in positions of power once it finished.

I do wonder if the policy making of western countries would have been different if it had not been the initial belief that this would mostly affect a nett wealth recipient demographic.    

Economies need their wealth creators and their taxpayers.    More so than the ones being rewarded for their years of creating wealth and paying tax.

If we'd quarantined infected persons, run contact tracing then localised mass testing on everybody they'd come into contact with then it could have been contained or slowed to a crawl.

Instead, our idiots in Downing St chose to let it run wild so "herd immunity" could be reached.

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

There's no magic solution but we should surely have taken the opportunities to slow the initial spread and buy the time to get proper PPE and more ICU beds and more respirators. We could also have had much more extensive testing of key staff to maximise capacity and also utilise best who had had it already. All those measures would have bought us more time before a vaccine is found

Ehllhayapeh
12 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Take any reports from China with a silo full of salt.

Ive lived in China (Guangzhou) and I would go as far as to say dont take even with a barn full of salt. It will be bs, it will be unreliable and it will be designed to downplay any suggestion of non perfection by the party.

We had a number of incidents towards the end of our time where GZ had a few days of the kinds of pollution levels Beijing usually had. Officially in china, it was at 105 in GZ. In my chest it was a pain to breathe and via VPN I discovered overseas reporting of air to be at 210 which would close schools and result in lockdown. This didnt happen as the chinese number was the official one used.

There is no way I trust a single thing that country ever says. Qatar is about the same. 50c shuts things down and its perpetually 49c even when the thermometer says 55c.

Just now, Cade said:

If we'd quarantined infected persons, run contact tracing then localised mass testing on everybody they'd come into contact with then it could have been contained or slowed to a crawl.

Instead, our idiots in Downing St chose to let it run wild so "herd immunity" could be reached.

To be fair,   a really,  really good contain stage like that does save lives but it also shields the majority from exposure.    Later on,   those people still have to be exposed at some point.     It's unavoidable unless every single case is treated and it is eradicated.    

Germany and other places seem to have done much better at contain and delay.    But they all need to take their chances with this virus at some point.    Contain and delay gives a better chance for people at the sharp end.    That's really all.

Jambo-Jimbo
29 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Beds available that's the 'criminal' figure

Now what would be handy would be comparison from end Thatcher era through to now.

Edit - if that figure is reliable as I'm not convinced on the others as it is.

Not sure what they are classing as 'beds available', because England alone has over 127,000 hospital beds available.

Scotland has over 13,000 acute care hospital beds.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/25/hospital-beds-at-record-low-in-england-as-nhs-struggles-with-demand

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-uk-nhs-beds

So I don't know where they are getting that the UK has only 17,000 available beds from.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Germany and other places seem to have done much better at contain and delay.    But they all need to take their chances with this virus at some point.    Contain and delay gives a better chance for people at the sharp end.    That's really all.

We did not do Contain at all. By the time they were even talking about "Contain" we'd had flights coming in from China for weeks and Italy for a fortnight without any checks whatsoever. It is a joke to even suggest there  even was a "Contain" stage in the UK...A week after they first mentioned contain we were in Lockdown!

It is not even accurate to say they dithered. They plain and simple threw us to the wolves!

17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

To be fair,   a really,  really good contain stage like that does save lives but it also shields the majority from exposure.    Later on,   those people still have to be exposed at some point.     It's unavoidable unless every single case is treated and it is eradicated.    

Considering the shite state of our health service, we needed to buy as much time as we could to ramp up PPE, ventilators and other gear for the NHS; not pursue some insane drivel about herd immunity and let it run wild across the country for the best part of a month.

I agree with both.    There is no magic outcome but we certainly should have been much better prepared and attempted to contain.     

Jambof3tornado
28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Germany werent counting old folk that died who clearly had covid19 related issues!!

Getting the contain right is all about opinions, I think we nearly got it right.

Contact tracing is obviously good but you can't do total contact tracing.    Some workers are still coming into contact,  to some degree,  with lots of strangers throughout the day.    Shop workers,  etc.    Unlimited capacity to repeatedly test will have more benefit with some people.    

40 minutes ago, Cade said:

40 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

There's no magic solution but we should surely have taken the opportunities to slow the initial spread and buy the time to get proper PPE and more ICU beds and more respirators. We could also have had much more extensive testing of key staff to maximise capacity and also utilise best who had had it already. All those measures would have bought us more time before a vaccine is found

Sounds great but where are all these test kits coming from?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic