Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

I P Knightley

Having been found out, there was no other option but for the CMO to go. 

Nothing political in that, and it's not about expecting perfection but she was the medical expert dishing out the advice during a medical crisis. By ignoring her own advice, she completely undermined it and, in doing so, undermined her own credibility. 

Picture what may have happened if she had stayed in post and new advice had been something like,  "don't eat chocolate" or "refrain from sexual intercourse". A large chunk of the population would believe that, behind closed doors, she would be getting rogered senseless while tucking into a 1kg bar of Dairy Milk. Her advice would not be taken seriously. 

She won't lose out big style. She's done nothing to undermine her credentials as a gynaecologist, so she can still keep her hand in. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

but she resigned after NS tried to keep her on.

in the midst of this. 

wtf

It's done. Give it rest. 

The UK PM and other ministers have/had Coronavirus and you're/you've not criticising them.  You're only point scoring on your doomed quest for SNP destruction. 

Edited by ri Alban

Has Boris resigned, has matt resign, has the chancellor resigned, has Cummings resigned, no? But surely they must, as they haven't keep to their advice. 

Awanbileyerheid! 

Has the Queen abdicated, meaning now, has George(Charles) abdicated. 

Edited by ri Alban

13 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I've resigned to, whatever you call this. 

If that helps. 

Have you watched last week's PMQs at the end, where the UK government team hug, after telling us all to keep 2m apart. No I didn't think so. 

This is my last political post on this thread. 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Nothing political in that, and it's not about expecting perfection but she was the medical expert dishing out the advice during a medical crisis. By ignoring her own advice, she completely undermined it and, in doing so, undermined her own credibility. 

Picture what may have happened if she had stayed in post and new advice had been something like,  "don't eat chocolate" or "refrain from sexual intercourse". A large chunk of the population would believe that, behind closed doors, she would be getting rogered senseless while tucking into a 1kg bar of Dairy Milk. Her advice would not be taken seriously. 

She won't lose out big style. She's done nothing to undermine her credentials as a gynaecologist, so she can still keep her hand in. 

:oohmatron:

spirt of 98
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Gynaecologist  Keeping her hand in 😂😂

Edited by spirt of 98

The Internet

Kind of comforting that people are pat-dabbing at each other and whinging over politics again. Life slowly but surely getting back to normal. 

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Kind of comforting that people are pat-dabbing at each other and whinging over politics again. Life slowly but surely getting back to normal. 

Agreed. Big than to @ri Alban 😀

Expect to hear the phrases 'persistent symptoms', 'routine tests', 'continues to lead the Government' and 'being kept up to date' a lot today.

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is this ok? She deleted the tweet.

8BCEFC2F-FB39-4DB1-A4A2-6C23993385E0.jpeg

E5671402-0BB8-4CD0-AD6B-78810203FFC6.jpeg

No it's not. The rules are very simple. You should avoid meeting people from other households. You shouldn't be out in groups of more than two. 

Edit: just seen the date. Not sure what the guidance was back then.

Edited by Sooperstar

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

:laugh:

Professionals with prominent positions within government should naturally be guided by this National Emergency. Unfortunately, CC didn't command enough common sense and was totally unaware of the repercussions her amateurish decisions would attract. By resigning, she did the right thing, sacking her would've been harsh.

The Internet

She does remind me of Suzanne Cryer's character in silicon valley. Robotic and not really aware of how important she is or how her actions will affect other people. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

Gynaecologist  Keeping her hand in 😂😂

The old ones, it seems, go right over the heads of those who insist on having an, "it is;  it isnae; it is; it isnae..." squabble. 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The old ones, it seems, go right over the heads of those who insist on having an, "it is;  it isnae; it is; it isnae..." squabble. 

Naw they dinnae

Why are care home residents getting blamed for carers getting Ill. They don't leave the homes, the workers do.

Edited by ri Alban

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Boris is on oxygen. Definitely having issues with his lungs

That's not good. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Cant find any news on this? where you reading that about mate?

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

That's not good. 

Or the opposite. Oxygen can really make a difference and is all that’s needed when you are struggling. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Or the opposite. Oxygen can really make a difference and is all that’s needed when you are struggling. 

Not after listening to Dr Chris Smith. But I hope you're right.

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

Not after listening to Dr Chris Smith.

Didn’t catch what he has said I’m just going on what nurses on the ward are saying and actual close personal experience last week. 

Jambof3tornado
16 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Given he has tested positive, having issues with his lungs is clearly a given. He may simply be on supplementary O2 to maintain his oxygen saturation levels.

Thousands of people in hospital are on O2. That news alone is no need to be concerned.

9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Didn’t catch what he has said I’m just going on what nurses on the ward are saying and actual close personal experience last week. 

👍

Sure Boris will be fine. He is in the right place and getting the best treatment. Oxygen will be a precaution IMO. 

Worry would be that he developes Pneumonia as he has had a constant high temperature for ten days now. 

Calderwood should have been sacked, that Sturgeon allowed her to resign is shocking. I'm a sure that a nice package was agreed between them. 

Middle class wankers like her make me sick. You can imagine how she's been told since she was a little girl how much more clever and special she was than everyone else. This promotion, that promotion. Nice big house in the Grange and a second one in Morningside-on-Sea. Rules don't apply to her.

Irresponsible silly woman.

Not class specific by any means, see footballers and dafties having lock-ins in pubs etc. 

Still the message is that he is in charge.

I'm sure it is just token words and he isn't doing anything but to me, similar to what our CMO did, just sends out the wrong message to the wider public.

He should be concentrating on getting better.  A doctor was on 5Live and the best thing to stop him moving to the next serious stage i.e pneumonia, is complete rest.

We need the wider public to be heeding medical and scientific advice, not just carrying on regardless, especially if you believe that in some way because of your own position, you are above that advice.

50 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Sure Boris will be fine. He is in the right place and getting the best treatment. Oxygen will be a precaution IMO. 

Worry would be that he developes Pneumonia as he has had a constant high temperature for ten days now. 

Oxygen is never given as a precaution. It's given when patients are hypoxic - i.e. their oxygen levels on room air are less than they should be. 

But that doesn't necessarily mean Boris is in dire straits. Supplemental oxygen goes from <2 litres/min to 15 litres/min and beyond. It's a very wide spectrum. 

19 minutes ago, pablo said:

Calderwood should have been sacked, that Sturgeon allowed her to resign is shocking. I'm a sure that a nice package was agreed between them. 

Middle class wankers like her make me sick. You can imagine how she's been told since she was a little girl how much more clever and special she was than everyone else. This promotion, that promotion. Nice big house in the Grange and a second one in Morningside-on-Sea. Rules don't apply to her.

Irresponsible silly woman.

Not class specific by any means, see footballers and dafties having lock-ins in pubs etc. 

You do realise employment laws apply to government officials as well?

Just because you are FM or PM doesn't mean you can be trigger happy.

9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Still the message is that he is in charge.

I'm sure it is just token words and he isn't doing anything but to me, similar to what our CMO did, just sends out the wrong message to the wider public.

He should be concentrating on getting better.  A doctor was on 5Live and the best thing to stop him moving to the next serious stage i.e pneumonia, is complete rest.

We need the wider public to be heeding medical and scientific advice, not just carrying on regardless, especially if you believe that in some way because of your own position, you are above that advice.

Cannot be easy for a prime minister in the middle of a complete health and economic meltdown to be out the game for so long. He is the man that is meant to be leading the charges bit the very thing he is fighting against is making him sick. Your right, he needs to heed the advice however hard that may be. Would be the best thing in his current situation to lead by example. 

3 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

You do realise employment laws apply to government officials as well?

Just because you are FM or PM doesn't mean you can be trigger happy.

Doesn't gross negligence allow employers to dismiss employees immediately and without notice?

5 minutes ago, pablo said:

Doesn't gross negligence allow employers to dismiss employees immediately and without notice?

I don't think sacking her immediately without notice would have been reasonable. I'm also not sure it would stand up to legal scrutiny either. Resigning was the best and fairest route to take.

Undoubtedly, there would have been people calling the FM reckless had she done what you suggest, claiming she plunged herself into a crisis with no plan.

CC is gone though and that is that. Time to get back to concentrating on protecting and saving lives.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

This.

Just obey the rules. This is the 24th day I’ve been indoors apart from three trips

to the supermarket a four minute walk away. It’s not been a three weeks I’d recommend to anyone. 

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Debenhams appoints administrators for the 2nd time this year.

Mike Ashley will be nursing a semi.

Cath Kidston too. Arcadia apparently looking to walk away from its leases too. 

1 minute ago, jambogaza said:

I don't think sacking her immediately without notice would have been reasonable. I'm also not sure it would stand up to legal scrutiny either. Resigning was the best and fairest route to take.

Undoubtedly, there would have been people calling the FM reckless had she done what you suggest, claiming she plunged herself into a crisis with no plan.

CC is gone though and that is that. Time to get back to concentrating on protecting and saving lives.

I think that an argument of Calderwood's actions endangered the lives of others would stand. Given the position of responsibility she held. 

Sturgeon hadn't put a foot wrong before this. Strong, concise, compassionate when needed. She's been absolutely first class during this.

She's made a mistake in not taking the opportunity to hammer home the seriousness of CC's mistake(s).

But as you say, we need to get on with doing the right thing and follow the advice we're given. All of us.

I think she tried to manage a transitional exit for Calderwood for continuity,   in the context of how important the job is.    Then realised it had to be more decisive and immediate.     I think the benefit of doubt can be given.

If the media drags out the attention beyond today then they're blithering idiots.    It's unimportant compared to the task at hand.

Stats for the daily number of new deaths in Spain and Italy. Fingers crossed, I'm liking the way those graphs are going.

Spain.png.af8b9dc208a10551f50007ec67e4f2d1.png

Italy.png.6418a17a46f2981c9b9faaa69ed4d9e4.png

Francis Albert
18 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Didn't she initially offer to resign and Nicola refused to accept it ?. Sacking her immediately wasn't necessary although if it had been done it would have been viewed as absolutely reasonable in the event of any "legal scrutiny". 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think she tried to manage a transitional exit for Calderwood for continuity,   in the context of how important the job is.    Then realised it had to be more decisive and immediate.     I think the benefit of doubt can be given.

If the media drags out the attention beyond today then they're blithering idiots.    It's unimportant compared to the task at hand.

This.

Sturgeon herself said this morning she isn't interested in political spin right now, which media outlets and others seem to be obsessed by.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Stats for the daily number of new deaths in Spain and Italy. Fingers crossed, I'm liking the way those graphs are going.

Spain.png.af8b9dc208a10551f50007ec67e4f2d1.png

Italy.png.6418a17a46f2981c9b9faaa69ed4d9e4.png

Going as they predicted, thank feck for that. 👍

I was beginning to think that all the experts were just guessing like the rest of us.

Coronavirus: Pastor who decried 'hysteria' dies after attending Mardi Gras

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52157824

Excerpt:

Pastor Spradlin was one of those who became ill, but tested negative for Covid-19. Even as he was sick, he posted on social media about "hysteria" surrounding the virus.

On the 13th of March Pastor Spradlin shared on Facebook a misleading post comparing swine flu and coronavirus deaths. It suggested that Barack Obama and Donald Trump respectively had been treated very differently by the media and that it was a politically motivated ploy to harm President Trump. Earlier the very same day, the president himself had insinuated something very similar at a news conference...

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, Peebo said:

Indeed. A gynecologist by trade, I believe. Her role was about advising the government on public health matters, and also helping conveying messages and policy to the public. She failed in her duty massively on the latter part. 

That made me laugh " a gynecologist to trade" ,  I cant imagine she is asked what her " trade " is when shes at a dinner party in the New town ...LOL 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

No it's not. The rules are very simple. You should avoid meeting people from other households. You shouldn't be out in groups of more than two. 

Edit: just seen the date. Not sure what the guidance was back then.

Social distancing was still in place back then, it wasn’t the brightest thing to do but he is an idiot.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic