Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Excellent speech by Queen. Pretty sure, although not 100%, that she must be the only reigning monarch who was about during WW2, and thought she captured what was required extremely well. 

I know now she has detractors on here, but her words will still have an impact with the older population and encourage them to get through this.

Yes.  Good job by Liz.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
32 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

regarding your earlier reply - I agree there are much more unknowns about covid19 so maybe in 1-2-3 years absolutely who knows

regarding what u posted which inferred death rates for Covid was already higher - I was meaning in the uk (that Italy figure looks ridiculously dubious btw)

i think in 2014 28000 died of/with flu in the uk - I’m not sure what the excess deaths were within that figure but I think an accepted figure is around 8000 (although 2014 was a heavier year) 

we dont know the excess deaths from Covid so far (have heard it estimated as a third)

so my original question was when Covid death rates surpassed flu - I don’t know if they have btw and given unknowns in the data not sure how I could easily work it out so it’s a genuine question

As you say and I totally agree, it's going to be a few years before direct comparisons can be made with any accuracy.

I am also in the camp of thought that many of the deaths would have probably occured within the next 6 to 12 months anyway, covid-19 has just hastened their deaths.  But again it'll be a few years until this is known for sure.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Or enough of the population gets infected and becomes immune to whatever degree of immunity being infected provides, if any.

People are putting a lot of faith in a vaccine, but there isn't any guarantee that they'll be able to develop one, and even if they do, how long will it last, a lifetime, a year a few months, it might be a new one is needed every year because the immunity wears off, this is something nobody knows right now.

In an ideal World all that would be needed is a dose of a vaccine and that'll be the end of Covid-19, that would be the best case scenario, but it rarely ever works out that way, unfortunately.

No guarantee people are immune to it mate, to me that's a very dangerous ball game to play and is totally unfair on older people that are likely to get Ill from it. 

With all the money that is in this world and the amount of scientists we have, I have faith someone will find a solution. 

The world can't continue to run the way it is at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Immunity passport is baws.

Even if you have antibodies in your system, a heavy viral load will still re-infect you.

Correct this virsus needs to be destroyed. 

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

BoJo has been taken to hospital for tests.

When I read he still had a fever it set alarm bells ringing. From my limited knowledge I assumed that wasn’t good.

:( 

John mcCartney
55 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Excellent speech by Queen. Pretty sure, although not 100%, that she must be the only reigning monarch who was about during WW2, and thought she captured what was required extremely well. 

I know now she has detractors on here, but her words will still have an impact with the older population and encourage them to get through this.

Yep,good on her for that speech.
Poignant stuff.

gashauskis9

Starting to think Boris is ****ed.  Admitted to hospital tonight with further virus symptoms.  Feel for his pregnant girlfriend.  He’s put them both massively at risk with his initial naivety around all of this.  

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

Starting to think Boris is ****ed.  Admitted to hospital tonight with further virus symptoms.  Feel for his pregnant girlfriend.  He’s put them both massively at risk with his initial naivety around all of this.  

However its not the time or circumstances to be hammering him

God knows I think he is a disaster but I can't wish this thing on anyone especially in my own family circumstances

gashauskis9
Just now, CJGJ said:

However its not the time or circumstances to be hammering him

God knows I think he is a disaster but I can't wish this thing on anyone especially in my own family circumstances

Fair comment.  

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Taffin said:

Worrying stuff about Boris. Hope he gets himself on the mend as soon as possible.

It doesn't sound good at all. 

He looked RAF the other day on his twitter video. 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No guarantee people are immune to it mate, to me that's a very dangerous ball game to play and is totally unfair on older people that are likely to get Ill from it. 

With all the money that is in this world and the amount of scientists we have, I have faith someone will find a solution. 

The world can't continue to run the way it is at the moment. 

Speaking from a position as one of those who could very likely get very ill or even die from this virus, I fully understand what is at stake here.

I agree though, the World can't just stop for any extended period of time, but without a vaccine nor even an effective treatment, what do you do.

There are no good choices here, certainly not in the short term.

They say it's just as a precaution but with NHS currently getting battered I'm not convinced I believe that. I reckon he's struggling

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Speaking from a position as one of those who could very likely get very ill or even die from this virus, I fully understand what is at stake here.

I agree though, the World can't just stop for any extended period of time, but without a vaccine nor even an effective treatment, what do you do.

There are no good choices here, certainly not in the short term.

Have to sit it out in the hope someone finds a vaccine, or a treatment that stops mass deaths. 

That's what the world is banking on, for example how could you host large attendanced football games, that would be a recipe for disaster. 

This isn't going away until we find something to destroy it. 

To think this could of all been avoided if we had taken it more seriously along with other countries, that's February the 1st, now look at us honestly. 

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

Boris latest. I'm no fan at all but I do hope he gets better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52177125

In the meantime if he's too I'll to work, I believe Dominic Raab takes charge.

We've both been highly critical of him SJ but you're absolutely right. Hope he pulls through and gets back safe and well to his girlfriend

Shanks said no

Get well soon Boris

Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, I believe before anyone asks

18 October 1865

7 times before

2 hours ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

After 3months the lockdown for those less at risk must be lifted as general production needs to restart, holding schools shut and pubs/cinemas again fine. AS for unknown time on immunity we have 1 major advantage..China.. they are 6weeks ahead so that will give us an early warning of expected length of immunity as long as they are honest and forthcoming.

You mean a China that's not followed a single other curve of infection across the world isn't honest with their figures?

There are zero cures or immunizations for coronavirii and none look likely.  The fact that drug testing on potential cures has skipped almost every safeguard tells a story. 

Also If we are close to a cure then common cold would have been cured years ago.... look at economic impact that has.

I fear for my kids growing up with threat of this, I fear for my wife (NHS frontline) having to deal with this directly, I fear for my parents struggling with dementia and locked in their house for their own good.  

If the whole world went 21 day total lockdown - zero leaving house for anything - then we could get rid of it.  

Government's 17.5million blood spot tests could be only 50-60% reliable according to scientists.

Well, that's not great, is it?

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Government's 17.5million blood spot tests could be only 50-60% reliable according to scientists.

So they will potentially get half of them wrong. That's useless. 

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Sorry mate what does that mean?. 

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Have to sit it out in the hope someone finds a vaccine, or a treatment that stops mass deaths. 

That's what the world is banking on, for example how could you host large attendanced football games, that would be a recipe for disaster. 

This isn't going away until we find something to destroy it. 

Exactly what I've been saying, no end anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly what I've been saying, no end anytime soon.

Sadly the truth mate, we need every bit of money available, to go to equipment for the NHS and to be handed to companys developing vaccines. 

That should be the goal these are desperate times, the army could deliver all food needed for family's to survive or drop them out the air, like care packages everyone needs to stay in doors. 

Or I'm afraid to say this isn't going away, China seem to think they are over it just wait and see what happens trust me. 

All banning on flights into the uk, the only way flights happen is through the army picking up medical equipment etc. 

Border closed let us deal with our problem, while England deals

with there's. 

The only thing getting past borders medical stuff and food delivery's. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

SwindonJambo
9 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

We've both been highly critical of him SJ but you're absolutely right. Hope he pulls through and gets back safe and well to his girlfriend

Apparently she's in isolation too, displaying symptoms but no positive test as far as we know. And she's pregnant.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Scottish CMO has now resigned.

Away to buggery! Has she? What brought that on the?

The Internet

Social media outrage wins again.

In other news, a tiger at the bronx zoo has tested positive.

Toxteth O'Grady
4 hours ago, Jap Jambo said:

Absolutely outrageous that the CMO hasn't resigned or indeed been fired. Not sure I can remember such a piece of blatant hypocrisy from a public official.

This - she has told 5 million people to stay at home while she has been away to her holiday home TWICE - she is an utter disgrace

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

90f.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry mate what does that mean?. 

It means your tax money just got spunked up the wall on millions of tests that hadn't been properly vetted.

Can't believe so many people are gloating about Boris (not aimed at this forum btw).  I despise his politics, but on a human level, there's simply no need.  No need at all. 

Just now, Cade said:

It means your tax money just got spunked up the wall on millions of tests that hadn't been properly vetted.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Hardly. Absolutely the correct decision in this case. 

That's the CMO resigned

Oops Barack got in there first.  I was too busy getting myself some ice cream

Edited by neilnunb

7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Huh?  She stood daily telling everyone what they can and shouldn't be doing. Rules that she helped pen, yet failed to adhere to them herself.  Not just once, but twice. If you want folk to take this seriously, then you really do have to lead from the front. Her remaining risked people shrugging their shoulders and telling them to stick their rules. They're already struggling to keep people in line. 

When those at the top begin to flout their own rules it begins to smack of authoritarian. Especially when we're all couped up in in homes. She needed to go. Not lose her job completely, but moved elsewhere.

Edited by BlackJAC?

Toxteth O'Grady
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

What was said earlier 

She is an utter piece of shit who should be nowhere government - she has been  on TV every day telling 5 million of us to stay at home while swanning off for a weekend away with her family TWICE.   

annushorribilis III
9 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Top trolling. 

dobmisterdobster
13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Scottish CMO has now resigned.

She had no choice. It was becoming a big problem for the Scot gov.

7 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

Can't believe so many people are gloating about Boris (not aimed at this forum btw).  I despise his politics, but on a human level, there's simply no need.  No need at all. 

I wouldn't wish this on any politician. Even ones I dislike.

When it came out  Catherine Calderwood had flouted the rules two weeks in a row, she was toast, and should have been emptied before the press conference. Not nice to see anyone lose their job, especially when it turns out they've got two mortgages to pay.

Edited by fancy a brew

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Hypocrisy is something we all indulge in from time to time.

Moral outrage and desire for punishment, I believe is counterproductive in the fight against Coronavirus.

Despite, her resignation I hope she is retained in some way to ensure minimise disruption in the efforts to combat COVID.

There's hypocrisy and then there is total disregard and responsibility. It kept being said today that she made a mistake. It wasn't a mistake, or human error. It was complete shunning of the rules millions of us need to stand by that she felt she was above, or able to self justify.

I think if she hadn't done it last weekend she could maybe have survived, but the signs suggest that she was treating it like a little getaway on the weekend.

AlphonseCapone

10 pm on a Sunday night is interesting timing. I wonder if it was originally scheduled for tomorrow morning until other events tonight made it better timing if you want to bury some news ... 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Hypocrisy is something we all indulge in from time to time.

Moral outrage and desire for punishment, I believe is counterproductive in the fight against Coronavirus.

Despite, her resignation I hope she is retained in some way to ensure minimise disruption in the efforts to combat COVID.

And this is one of those times when you shouldn't if you're holding the public health dept together in a pandemic most people walking the earth have never witnessed.  Now, had she been preaching about why people should be quitting smoke, whilst having a cig herself, that would have been different. Because like you say, we all indulge in a bit of hypocrisy and will continue to do so long after this.  However, current events being what they are, she completely and utterly ****ed up twice. No way folk were gonna keep listening to her.

Footballfirst
31 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

There are zero cures or immunizations for coronavirii and none look likely.  The fact that drug testing on potential cures has skipped almost every safeguard tells a story. 

Also If we are close to a cure then common cold would have been cured years ago.... look at economic impact that has.

Well said.

A lot of people don't understand the reality of viral infections. There are no cures for any of them. Vaccines can prevent you becoming ill in some cases and certain drugs can reduce their impact, but cures .... no.

This article from a medical website describes that reality pretty well. 

Viruses are very tiny germs. They are made of genetic material inside of a protein coating. Viruses cause familiar infectious diseases such as the common cold, flu and warts. They also cause severe illnesses such as HIV/AIDS, smallpox, and Ebola.

Viruses are like hijackers. They invade living, normal cells and use those cells to multiply and produce other viruses like themselves. This can kill, damage, or change the cells and make you sick. Different viruses attack certain cells in your body such as your liver, respiratory system, or blood.

When you get a virus, you may not always get sick from it. Your immune system may be able to fight it off.

For most viral infections, treatments can only help with symptoms while you wait for your immune system to fight off the virus. Antibiotics do not work for viral infections. There are antiviral medicines to treat some viral infections. Vaccines can help prevent you from getting many viral diseases.

Edited by Footballfirst

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic