Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

This is what I don't get. Take N Ireland for example, they would have been better joining with the south and having a unified system as they are all part of one island. The same here with us and Wales all connected to England by land border so why all three couldn't get together and have  consistent rules throughout.

Yes this is my issue. We are a small area geographically so any restrictions in differing countries were probably less effective. It didnt make sense really. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Th SG is planning a new framework of measures of living with Covid.  I expect it to include measures that they will introduce should there be a new virus, variant or spike that is worse than Omicron/Delta/Alpha.

I believe that certification will form part of any response.

I've adapted my views on the effectiveness of certain measures as the pandemic has progressed.  If we have a highly transmissible variant (like Omicron), then measures short of a full lockdown or tinkering at the edges will have little impact.  With less transmissible variants, then there may be a case for doing nothing, or reducing risks in certain settings through mask wearing or certification.

What do you think the SG should do in the event of a new virus, variant or spike?  Do nothing and let it rip, regardless?

Depends how virulent and transmissible it is. Should they act until they know those answers? Yes, but it should be a pre-determined playbook and not a sit on you're hands, then panic and follow what somewhere like China does.

If it's another Omicron, then yes, do nothing imo.

That's of course based on them investing in the NHS to have sufficient equipment and staff, and having a coherent strategy for freeing up beds that aren't actually required and also having a national strategy to improve the health of the nation in general.

As others have noted, those actions must also be targeted at those they are relevant to. Broad brush actions are damaging too and imo fall into the category of doing more harm that good to those people.

Edited by Taffin

Ex member of the SaS

In the event of a different virus then the first thing they should do is close the borders and anyone entering the country should isolate until tested clear. Hard drastic measures to stop it entering the country in the first place is better than closing down the economy and ruining businesses.

Recently we put countries under the red list but people got around that by coming in from a different country, we also closed borders from places like Pakistan but not India, India had much higher cases but because Boris was going there for a trade deal they didn't want to upset them.

Stop it getting in is a big part of stopping it breaking out here. 

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Depends how virulent and transmissible it is. Should they act until they know those answers? Yes, but it should be a pre-determined playbook and not a sit on you're hands, then panic and follow what somewhere like China does.

If it's another Omicron, then yes, do nothing imo.

That's of course based on them investing in the NHS to have sufficient equipment and staff, and having a coherent strategy for freeing up beds that aren't actually required and also having a national strategy to improve the health of the nation in general.

The thing is they built hospitals and dismantled them unused, so they had capacity but no staff. The NHS has been underfunded for years and even the money they did get went to managers and not health staff. If a fraction of the money spent on track and trace was given to health boards they could recruit enough staff.

The Real Maroonblood
47 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Exactly the approach that England will be taking. It will be dragged out up here though 

:laugh2:

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

The thing is they built hospitals and dismantled them unused, so they had capacity but no staff. The NHS has been underfunded for years and even the money they did get went to managers and not health staff. If a fraction of the money spent on track and trace was given to health boards they could recruit enough staff.

Has the NHS been underfunded or is it's scope too wide? I'm in the latter camp and would certainly narrow the scope but have deeper coverage but that's just my opinion.

Equally they can invest in it and staff it appropriately to match. That may remain a struggle due to availability of trained staff in no part thanks to Brexit. It's what people voted for though I guess.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I agree with the need for more staff and investment, if only to get waiting lists for most treatments down to weeks rather than months or years.

However, it takes years to train new doctors and nurses, so throwing money at it wasn't a practical solution in the early stages of the pandemic, unless you were prepared to recruit experienced health care professionals from overseas.  The desire of the UK government to limit immigration would appear to scupper that option too.

Ex member of the SaS
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Has the NHS been underfunded or is it's scope too wide? I'm in the latter camp and would certainly narrow the scope but have deeper coverage but that's just my opinion.

Equally they can invest in it and staff it appropriately to match. That may remain a struggle due to availability of trained staff in no part thanks to Brexit. It's what people voted for though I guess.

I see what you are getting at with the scope thingy and I agree to an extent. However if you class ( for example ) gender reassignment as out side their scope, what does it do to their mental health. basically what I am getting at is refusing certain operations only causes more cases in another field. so you have to be careful what you wish for.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I agree with the need for more staff and investment, if only to get waiting lists for most treatments down to weeks rather than months or years.

However, it takes years to train new doctors and nurses, so throwing money at it wasn't a practical solution in the early stages of the pandemic, unless you were prepared to recruit experienced health care professionals from overseas.  The desire of the UK government to limit immigration would appear to scupper that option too.

True, which is why I'd look at the scope as an option.

If you can't increase the numbers carrying out treatments you need to reduce those treatments. That can be achieved by:

- doing less of the same treatments (improving health of the nation by other means)

- doing more of certain treatments but doing less variety and a net reduction

A little from pot A and a little from pot B would be my completely unqualified opinion. It's the approach I'd use to solve a resourcing issue in areas that I do have knowledge in...it's not easy though as it's a very emotive subject.

33 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Th SG is planning a new framework of measures of living with Covid.  I expect it to include measures that they will introduce should there be a new virus, variant or spike that is worse than Omicron/Delta/Alpha.

I believe that certification will form part of any response.

I've adapted my views on the effectiveness of certain measures as the pandemic has progressed.  If we have a highly transmissible variant (like Omicron), then measures short of a full lockdown or tinkering at the edges will have little impact.  With less transmissible variants, then there may be a case for doing nothing, or reducing risks in certain settings through mask wearing or certification.

What do you think the SG should do in the event of a new virus, variant or spike?  Do nothing and let it rip, regardless?

Yes let it rip whilst advising the vulnerable to shield. 

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I see what you are getting at with the scope thingy and I agree to an extent. However if you class ( for example ) gender reassignment as out side their scope, what does it do to their mental health. basically what I am getting at is refusing certain operations only causes more cases in another field. so you have to be careful what you wish for.

I don't know what it does to their mental health. I guess you'd need to look historically at how many mental health issues were caused due to a lack of gender reassignment procedures carried out by the NHS and balance that against the cost (both monetary and resource) and arrive at whatever has is least disruptive to the overall service.

Ex member of the SaS
21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't know what it does to their mental health. I guess you'd need to look historically at how many mental health issues were caused due to a lack of gender reassignment procedures carried out by the NHS and balance that against the cost (both monetary and resource) and arrive at whatever has is least disruptive to the overall service.

Don't get me wrong I am kinda in the don't do them side but it was the first example I thought of when typing the reply. I have two friends who have been waiting on knee replacements and feel these type of ops should have priority over someone changing sex.

I am sure there are many more examples too.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Measures lifted.

yep but not until next Monday still good news though was hoping for immediately so i could stand at the bar tonight before the match will be a struggle getting a seat

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Boab said:

Covid certification still in place.

Thought the 50% would be lowered.

agree i would have thought 10% would be reasonable.

Just now, **** the SPFL said:

agree i would have thought 10% would be reasonable.

Or “ a reasonable amount ! “

No biggie, clubs will do what they can.

Restaurants, pubs and nightclubs will be happy.

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, Boab said:

Or “ a reasonable amount ! “

No biggie, clubs will do what they can.

Restaurants, pubs and nightclubs will be happy.

:toasting:

Fxxx the SPFL

Now Hamsters are causing transmission of Covid

Hong Kong plans to cull some 2,000 hamsters and other small mammals over a Covid-19 outbreak linked to a pet shop in the city.

An outbreak of the Delta variant linked to a worker in the shop prompted officials to test hundreds of animals there - with 11 hamsters positive.

Unlike many other places, Hong Kong has maintained a "zero Covid" strategy focused on eliminating the disease.

Officials said it may be an example of animal-to-human Covid transmission.

Only the hamsters at the pet shop seemed to be affected, with negative results for other animals there such as rabbits and chinchillas. But as a "preventative measure", 2,000 hamsters and other small mammals will be killed.

Nucky Thompson

They told us a couple of weeks ago that Christmas mixing will have a negative effect on positive cases, now it's wait for the return to work and school :rofl:

Fecking brass neck of the woman trying to claim her restrictions made a difference to the outcome of the Omicron wave :lol:

Looks very unlikely that vaccine passport will be extended to pubs and restaurants.  Continually threatened but the cat's out the bag now that it's never happening unless there's a significant wave.

So the restrictions which weren't needed have mostly been withdrawn. Excuse me if I dont do a celebratory jig . 

Still clinging on to vaccine passports. Dearie me.

Let it go hen. Its ok. 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

So the restrictions which weren't needed have mostly been withdrawn. Excuse me if I dont do a celebratory jig . 

Still clinging on to vaccine passports. Dearie me.

Let it go hen. Its ok. 

Yup. She was totally found out when England left everything open and weren't any worse off.

In fact Wales were in the worst position in the UK and had the toughest restrictions :lol:

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yup. She was totally found out when England left everything open and weren't any worse off.

In fact Wales were in the worst position in the UK and had the toughest restrictions :lol:

Boris is the only ***** found out . And England has the worst numbers. But keep talking shite. 👍

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes let it rip whilst advising the vulnerable to shield. 

Would you start washing your messages again? Or has this pandemic meant you won't take any future pandemic seriously?

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Boris is the only ***** found out . And England has the worst numbers. But keep talking shite. 👍

:spoton:

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, kila said:

Would you start washing your messages again? Or has this pandemic meant you won't take any future pandemic seriously?

:lol:

1 minute ago, kila said:

Keep up with the times. Message washing finished around May 2020.. Never do that again. Are you desperate on another pandemic.? I honestly think you lot are livid that things are improving. I really do.  i

image-23-10-21-06-55-5.gif

20 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yep publicly humiliated really. However nae humility or owt from her really.  She was  not  bothered that  she has ruined many a business over the last month or so. Cold and heartless. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Keep up with the times. Message washing finished around May 2020.. Never do that again. Are you desperate on another pandemic.? I honestly think you lot are livid that things are improving. I really do. 

:laugh:

It's you that is obsessed with the pandemic, this thread and everything related to it James ;) You'll probably forever bump this thread with a silly meme or SNP bad post even if everyone else has moved on.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, kila said:

:laugh:

It's you that is obsessed with the pandemic, this thread and everything related to it James ;) You'll probably forever bump this thread with a silly meme or SNP bad post even if everyone else has moved on.

:spoton:

Lord Montpelier

Looks like from today's sermon I should be able to go back inside and play 5s with my mates again. Hoorah. Thankyou Supreme Leader.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They told us a couple of weeks ago that Christmas mixing will have a negative effect on positive cases, now it's wait for the return to work and school :rofl:

Fecking brass neck of the woman trying to claim her restrictions made a difference to the outcome of the Omicron wave :lol:

It’s quite unbelievable isn’t it.

She is unbelievable. 
she’s made no difference, only pain and misery on businesses and the public.  Bloody disgrace so she is. 
the dentist , her and that idiot health Secretary will be counting down the days they can play god again

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Looks like from today's sermon I should be able to go back inside and play 5s with my mates again. Hoorah. Thankyou Supreme Leader.

👍

Touche. 

Getting covid changes one perspective about it all. 

Woo hoo. Happy as larry. 

The thread will hopefully die out asap really. 

But panic merchants, " new variant " strains  l and stat stalkers like you and a few others  will bump it up more than i ever will. 

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

She is unbelievable. 
she’s made no difference, only pain and misery on businesses and the public.  Bloody disgrace so she is. 
the dentist , her and that idiot health Secretary will be counting down the days they can play god again

and her fan club too. This sums her up 

Lord Montpelier
2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

She is unbelievable. 

For a Health Secretary in a pandemic, he's almost been invisible, hasn't he. Almost as though Sturge knows he's a liability. Or maybe he has something on her. Who knows

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm talking about the omicron wave :thumbsup:

Boris kept his cool and made the other two clowns look stupid.

Shutting down football while England had full houses singing and dancing at the darts :rofl:

Lord Montpelier
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Screenshot_20220118-164433.thumb.png.77be2d369bde855ab86307cc1458b9b8.png

Ah, some stats, solid numbers with zero context. Once you've found something that is adjusted to show the impacts of the number of major urban conurbations, population density within them, and other factors such as underlying health problems, poverty, education levels, income, on infection rates please come back and show us.

Until then, any attempts to portray Scotland or any other country in a positive or negative light is simplistic. For comparative purposes a standard grade maths student would tell you these are useless. 

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Keep up with the times. Message washing finished around May 2020.. Never do that again. Are you desperate on another pandemic.? I honestly think you lot are livid that things are improving. I really do.  i

image-23-10-21-06-55-5.gif

You really think that some people here want the pandemic to continue?

Really?  The people who engage with you and indulge you no matter your hypocrisy and uncountable volte-faces?  Wow.

(Fatuous gif in place of considered response incoming in 3 … 2… 1….)

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

She is unbelievable. 

The pandemic and devolved health matters just shows us how much of a kiddy on, ramshackle administration we have up here.

2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

You really think that some people here want the pandemic to continue?

Really?  The people who engage with you and indulge you no matter your hypocrisy and uncountable volte-faces?  Wow.

(Fatuous gif in place of considered response incoming in 3 … 2… 1….)

I think they have enjoyed chief mammy looking after their every need during the last couple years. Serious case of Stockholm syndrome , so will struggle when they have to leave the cocoon of the couple years. 

Ok if you insist regarding a gif

image-23-10-21-11-03.gif

The blind guess and Captain Hindsight approach will yield the occasional veneer of gratification but it might not always.  Let's hope there will be no need for any more blind guesses.  If there is then some of you crystal ball gazers will leap in feet first again and you might not get the same gratification.

Edited by Victorian

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )