• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It's nice to know you know more than the guy who rote this:

Jared Auclair, who is an associate teaching professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Northeastern, leads the Biopharmaceutical Analysis Training Lab, and runs the university’s COVID-19 testing facility, the Life Sciences Testing Center in Burlington, Massachusetts.  

I didn't suggest that I know more than anyone.  It's been debunked by a volume of equally and greater qualified people.

Finding one thing that tends to support a position and then ceasing to inform yourself further will not gain you much knowledge and understanding.  It greatly depends on your motives.  Learn about stuff or make arguments for arguments sake.

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I didn't suggest that I know more than anyone.  It's been debunked by a volume of equally and greater qualified people.

Finding one thing that tends to support a position and then ceasing to inform yourself further will not gain you much knowledge and understanding.  It greatly depends on your motives.  Learn about stuff or make arguments for arguments sake.

OK standard reply for here. Post a link to those equally or greater qualified proving him wrong.

5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

OK standard reply for here. Post a link to those equally or greater qualified proving him wrong.

Only interested in arguing for arguings sake then.  I'm more interested in learning about stuff.  

If you want to learn more,  go and learn.  I'm not here to spoon feed you.

5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

C'mon Roxy FFS. You need to get this chip of your shoulder when it comes to England.

They done the right thing when it came to the omicron variant, maybe more luck than anything else, but that's a different story

Don't have a chip on my shoulder bud. I like England and have family and friends there. I just can't stand the way arguments are framed to make Scotland look bad. I'm not sure if England took the right steps. 

From the very beginning there was always going to be a stick to beat Nippy Krankie, all planned for propaganda purposes. Call me paranoid! 🤣

36 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Covid deemed the primary cause 10,828. How many of them were tested for flu? and how many died of FLU but were counted as covid? As I understand it from a doctor in the USA you need to test further to find out if it's covid or flu. IF this is the case, how many were fully tested?

You can manipulate figures to say virtually anything. My main point is the fake reporting by the media that are still using the 28 day period as counting as a covid death. As I said, tested positive 28 days ago and by current standards you are clear after 7 or 5 days depending on who you quote, so if you then die of stroke how can that possibly be quoted as a covid death?

Sorry you clearly don't have a clue. Covid tests are to show Covid, they do not show if you have the flu. I'll leave you to it as if FF can't get through to you I'm not going to try again

30 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Covid deemed the primary cause 10,828. How many of them were tested for flu? and how many died of FLU but were counted as covid? As I understand it from a doctor in the USA you need to test further to find out if it's covid or flu. IF this is the case, how many were fully tested?

You can manipulate figures to say virtually anything. My main point is the fake reporting by the media that are still using the 28 day period as counting as a covid death. As I said, tested positive 28 days ago and by current standards you are clear after 7 or 5 days depending on who you quote, so if you then die of stroke how can that possibly be quoted as a covid death?

This is incorrect. The Covid19 PCR is Covid19-specific. We've covered this already on the thread, probably multiple times.

https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/pcr-test-recall-can-the-test-tell-the-difference-between-covid-19-and-the-flu

https://www.fda.gov/media/139745/download

Effectively the multiplex test provides results for both Covid19 and flu, but individually, not as an overall result that could mean one or the other.

Ex member of the SaS
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Only interested in arguing for arguings sake then.  I'm more interested in learning about stuff.  

If you want to learn more,  go and learn.  I'm not here to spoon feed you.

No your the wise ass that keeps trying to rubbish others opinions so either put up or shut up as they say.

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

No your the wise ass that keeps trying to rubbish others opinions so either put up or shut up as they say.

Abuse wont make up for your ignorance.  Everything is available at your fingertips.  Either educate yourself or not.  Your choice.  I am not here to inform the lazy.  Nor am I here to win petty arguments or give the appearance of winning them.

Ex member of the SaS
6 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Sorry you clearly don't have a clue. Covid tests are to show Covid, they do not show if you have the flu. I'll leave you to it as if FF can't get through to you I'm not going to try again

Great because if you can't read and understand what is being said then I can't educate you.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The folk you see on those marches are mostly scruffy, hippy, tree hugging types

From what's been written about them online, shaved heads and bomber jackets might be more their type. 

Seems they're not only anti-lockdown but also anti-immigration. 

3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Great because if you can't read and understand what is being said then I can't educate you.

That's not the reason you can't educate him, what are you on about with these tests?

Ex member of the SaS
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Abuse wont make up for your ignorance.  Everything is available at your fingertips.  Either educate yourself or not.  Your choice.  I am not here to inform the lazy.  Nor am I here to win petty arguments or give the appearance of winning them.

Neither am I stupid or lazy, You on the other hand have a tendency to rubbish everyone's posts and don't have the balls to back up what you say.

I will leave you to hide in your wardrobe while I and the rest of us get back to normal living.

Ex member of the SaS
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's not the reason you can't educate him, what are you on about with these tests?

Which tests are you questioning?

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Neither am I stupid or lazy, You on the other hand have a tendency to rubbish everyone's posts and don't have the balls to back up what you say.

I will leave you to hide in your wardrobe while I and the rest of us get back to normal living.

I am getting on as normal and not hiding anywhere.  If that's the limit of your thinking then nobody can help you.  You're an abrasive fool who understands nothing.

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, Smithee said:

The one which you reckon might be flu

A doctor in the USA stated that many patients were being put down as having Covid when in fact they had flu, and to determine where they had flu or not they required a further test, which they were not doing and simply writing down covid.

Where are the numbers of flu victims in the last two years? In the past there were thousand died with flu and others with flu and complications ( similar to the figures being quoted for covid ) The numbers being quoted in the media every one of them is covid so are they trying to claim they have cured flu and no one has died of it in the last two years?

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I am getting on as normal and not hiding anywhere.  If that's the limit of your thinking then nobody can help you.  You're an abrasive fool who understands nothing.

Well the posts you put up all appear to be a covid scared cat. Hoping restrictions continue and frightened to go about living. Making assumptions about people you don't know when you ( probably )  and most everyone you know were happy I ( and others like me ) was there in your time of need. 

17 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

A doctor in the USA stated that many patients were being put down as having Covid when in fact they had flu, and to determine where they had flu or not they required a further test, which they were not doing and simply writing down covid.

Where are the numbers of flu victims in the last two years? In the past there were thousand died with flu and others with flu and complications ( similar to the figures being quoted for covid ) The numbers being quoted in the media every one of them is covid so are they trying to claim they have cured flu and no one has died of it in the last two years?

And that's been debunked. 

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And that's been debunked. 

FFS not another one. Put me on ignore so I don't have to deal with anymore BS.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

That principle has been widely challenged and debunked.  This virus,  like some others,  gains no reproductive advantage via becoming less deadly.  It performs it's reproductive cycle regardless of how ill it makes it's host.  It infects... it replicates... it transmits onwards... all entirely independently of subsequent illness.

if a virus kills the host the second it infects them how does it get transmitted other than via the person who finds them dead and undertakers - wouldn’t it be better killing them on day 3 and giving the host a couple of days to spread it around

wasnt that a weakness with sars that made it easier to contain in that it made people genuinely ill quite quickly so naturally made them isolate quite quickly - again a touch less severe would have created more transmission opportunities ?

dont know the answer but intuitively there is a case to be made for a virus benefitting from weakening as per the examples above 

15 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

FFS not another one. Put me on ignore so I don't have to deal with anymore BS.

While in Holland I worked for IDEXX Europe BV in hoofddorp, feel free to look them up. They make lab equipment for testing bodily fluids for medical diagnostic. I was in tech support for some of the expensive ones, but also for snap tests, which are very similar to tests we've seen through this.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but safe to say that having been trained by a multi billion pound company on the subject, I am compared to you. You'll no doubt know more about the SAS than me.

Tests that detect covid do not detect flu, tests that detect flu do not detect covid. They detect different things, it's quite an important part of testing.

Both tests may be present in one kit but they will be displayed separately.

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

While in Holland I worked for IDEXX Europe BV in hoofddorp, feel free to look them up. They make lab equipment for testing bodily fluids for medical diagnostic. I was in tech support for some of the expensive ones, but also for snap tests, which are very similar to tests we've seen through this.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but safe to say that having been trained by a multi billion pound company on the subject, I am compared to you. You'll no doubt know more about the SAS than me.

Tests that detect covid do not detect flu, tests that detect flu do not detect covid. They detect different things, it's quite an important part of testing.

Both tests may be present in one kit but they will be displayed separately.

Your explanation makes sense and is much better than your generic put down. Had you made these points rather than a simple,  that's been debunked type BS, then perhaps people would respect your posts more.

I on the other hand was simply posting what I read and assumed a doctor in the USA would have at least some better knowledge than a poster on here.

12 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

if a virus kills the host the second it infects them how does it get transmitted other than via the person who finds them dead and undertakers - wouldn’t it be better killing them on day 3 and giving the host a couple of days to spread it around

wasnt that a weakness with sars that made it easier to contain in that it made people genuinely ill quite quickly so naturally made them isolate quite quickly - again a touch less severe would have created more transmission opportunities ?

dont know the answer but intuitively there is a case to be made for a virus benefitting from weakening as per the examples above 

Not if it is already completing it's reproductive cycle.  The subsequent illness it causes is immaterial to the virus continuing to find new hosts.  This virus transmits onwards well before it causes acute illness.

There is a circumstance when a virus stands to gain a reproductive advantage by becoming more virulent.  Sometimes there can be multiple strains thriving at the same time and can cause a co-infection of 2 or more.  One strain can evolve to gain an advantage by being able to find new hosts and deprive other strains of doing likewise by making the host very ill before the other strains can perform their reproductive cycle.

It's all very,  very complicated stuff.  Far removed from the simple belief that viruses inherently weaken in order to survive.

16 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Your explanation makes sense and is much better than your generic put down. Had you made these points rather than a simple,  that's been debunked type BS, then perhaps people would respect your posts more.

I on the other hand was simply posting what I read and assumed a doctor in the USA would have at least some better knowledge than a poster on here.

I couldn't be arsed writing a dissertation on something that's easily looked up, sue me.

"It's been debunked" is a perfectly reasonable reply which you overreacted to.

Nucky Thompson

81k positive cases today, the lowest since 15th December. 

We're most certainly over the peak now and following along the same trajectory as South Africa

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Nobody counts how many people in Britain have flu - they never have.

The numbers being quoted in the media are the numbers the governments are publishing of people who tested positive for Covid. The PCR tests identify the covid virus, not flu. One doctor saying the opposite is a minority (of one) view)

If you want a contradiction to what you are suggesting here is a link which might explain some of the seemingly contradictory statements and makes it clear that the PCR tests are NOT falsely identifying flu cases as COVID

https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/pcr-test-recall-can-the-test-tell-the-difference-between-covid-19-and-the-flu

Edited by scott herbertson

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Not if it is already completing it's reproductive cycle.  The subsequent illness it causes is immaterial to the virus continuing to find new hosts.  This virus transmits onwards well before it causes acute illness.

There is a circumstance when a virus stands to gain a reproductive advantage by becoming more virulent.  Sometimes there can be multiple strains thriving at the same time and can cause a co-infection of 2 or more.  One strain can evolve to gain an advantage by being able to find new hosts and deprive other strains of doing likewise by making the host very ill before the other strains can perform their reproductive cycle.

It's all very,  very complicated stuff.  Far removed from the simple belief that viruses inherently weaken in order to survive.

finding new hosts can become difficult if they are all dying

theoretically - a virus with a 100% mortality rate will kill all its potential host within a finite time period

a virus with a lighter mortality rate within a population which can re-produce (like humans) all other things being equal could continue to find host infinitely and in time kill more hosts than the severe virus while even then still being able to find more hosts after surpassing that milestone

so the weaker virus in top trump world (for those who remember) score lower on mortality rate but scores higher on longevity (much higher) and scores higher on body count (much higher)

so the more severe virus virus could be seen to benefit from transitioning to the less severe one?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

i wouldn’t necessarily buy that anyway mate

you can be a total expert in one part of any complex business and know absolutely jack about lots of other parts of the business or be missing a key bit of knowledge in an other area which completely changes the reality to what you perceive it to be

18 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

finding new hosts can become difficult if they are all dying

theoretically - a virus with a 100% mortality rate will kill all its potential host within a finite time period

a virus with a lighter mortality rate within a population which can re-produce (like humans) all other things being equal could continue to find host infinitely and in time kill more hosts than the severe virus while even then still being able to find more hosts after surpassing that milestone

so the weaker virus in top trump world (for those who remember) score lower on mortality rate but scores higher on longevity (much higher) and scores higher on body count (much higher)

so the more severe virus virus could be seen to benefit from transitioning to the less severe one?

Not quite.  The virus gains evolutionary advantages to become dominant and to be able to find hosts and transmit on to other hosts.  But it has no intelligence to enable it to think about running out of hosts.  It doesn't work like that.

If the weakening virus theory was anywhere near to being a thing then it would have been observed by now.  But there are no such examples known.  What has been seen is the effects of viruses diminishing due to immunisation.  Some very old viruses of the past still exist in the same form they were when they caused pandemics of the past.  But they don't cause any harm because of immune defences and memory that has built up.  

Nucky's link above suggests that Omicron is less severe,  even after adjusting for prior immunisation.  It needs to be confirmed and studied more but it would be more or less new when it comes to human viruses.  That in itself is not some kind of impossible thing.  Scientific discoveries occur.  Perhaps it might even add a bit more weight to the theory that this virus is too unusual to be absolutely natural.  

Edited by Victorian

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not quite.  The virus gains evolutionary advantages to become dominant and to be able to find hosts and transmit on to other hosts.  But it has no intelligence to enable it to think about running out of hosts.  It doesn't work like that.

If the weakening virus theory was anywhere near to being a thing then it would have been observed by now.  But there are no such examples known.  What has been seen is the effects of viruses diminishing due to immunisation.  Some very old viruses of the past still exist in the same form they were when they caused pandemics of the past.  But they don't cause any harm because of immune defences and memory that has built up.  

Nucky's link above suggests that Omicron is less severe,  even after adjusting for prior immunisation.  It needs to be confirmed and studied more but it would be more or less new when it comes to human viruses.  That in itself is not some kind of impossible thing.  Scientific discoveries occur.  Perhaps it might even add a bit more weight to the theory that this virus is too unusual to be absolutely natural.  

if the mortality rate is 100% of all hosts whatever type they will be then unless there is an assumption of an infinite amount of new hosts (which there isn’t in this model or lots of these models :) ) then the hosts will eventually become exhausted or be separated from each other so that the virus can’t transmit - there is an end point

a less severe virus may have no end point

the mortality rate doesn’t need to be 100% either the time period just get stretched but the tortoise virus will eventually win in lots of runs of the model

the tortoise virus can win and the hare virus could benefit from transitioning to a tortoise

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

81k positive cases today, the lowest since 15th December. 

We're most certainly over the peak now and following along the same trajectory as South Africa

1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Bloody Westminster!! Am I doing this right? She’s a disgrace, plain and simple. 

Yep

57 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

i wouldn’t necessarily buy that anyway mate

you can be a total expert in one part of any complex business and know absolutely jack about lots of other parts of the business or be missing a key bit of knowledge in an other area which completely changes the reality to what you perceive it to be

Quantitive tests are for levels of substance that are present and they're more open to interpretation. High cortisol levels suggest stress, for example, further tests might help.

Qualitative testing is different though, it detects the presence of very specific substances. Covid 19 and the flu aren't the same thing, so they aren't detected in the same way.

This is about the CDC tests that were questioned by fox

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/cdc-test-cant-differentiate-between-covid-and-the-flu-thats-wrong/

"In fact, the CDC’s test was developed to look for the presence of a nucleic acid found only in the COVID virus," said Kelly Wroblewski, director of infectious disease programs at the Association of Public Health Laboratories.

“It is not remotely accurate that the CDC test doesn’t differentiate between flu and SARS-CoV-2. It doesn’t detect influenza. It only detects SARS-CoV-2,” said Wroblewski. “If flu and COVID are both circulating, you would be able to detect only SARS-CoV-2 and not flu.”

"How the PCR test (or any other PCR test) works," Wroblewski said, "is that primers, which are little bits of a genetic material, are used to identify specific viruses. In this case, the primer is built to identify a nucleic acid found only in the COVID virus.

"If the COVID virus is present in the sample, the primer will attach to the virus’s nucleic acid and make many copies of it. A chemical in the test will then fluoresce, which the polymerase chain reaction, or PCR, machine will interpret as a positive result. If the COVID virus is not present, the primer will have nothing to attach to."

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Quantitive tests are for levels of substance that are present and they're more open to interpretation. High cortisol levels suggest stress, for example, further tests might help.

Qualitative testing is different though, it detects the presence of very specific substances. Covid 19 and the flu aren't the same thing, so they aren't detected in the same way.

This is about the CDC tests that were questioned by fox

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/cdc-test-cant-differentiate-between-covid-and-the-flu-thats-wrong/

"In fact, the CDC’s test was developed to look for the presence of a nucleic acid found only in the COVID virus," said Kelly Wroblewski, director of infectious disease programs at the Association of Public Health Laboratories.

“It is not remotely accurate that the CDC test doesn’t differentiate between flu and SARS-CoV-2. It doesn’t detect influenza. It only detects SARS-CoV-2,” said Wroblewski. “If flu and COVID are both circulating, you would be able to detect only SARS-CoV-2 and not flu.”

"How the PCR test (or any other PCR test) works," Wroblewski said, "is that primers, which are little bits of a genetic material, are used to identify specific viruses. In this case, the primer is built to identify a nucleic acid found only in the COVID virus.

"If the COVID virus is present in the sample, the primer will attach to the virus’s nucleic acid and make many copies of it. A chemical in the test will then fluoresce, which the polymerase chain reaction, or PCR, machine will interpret as a positive result. If the COVID virus is not present, the primer will have nothing to attach to."

is that out your training guide from the Dutch company or something sourced from the internet?

are these fact-check sites ever themselves fact-checked or are they just accepted to be the only version of the truth?

I made a general point about transferable knowledge the specifics of the discussion I wasn’t even aware of

InternationalJambo

So, are the few weeks we had to wait to see if the ‘protections’ put in place are working up now? Or should I check back in another few weeks? 

Edited by InternationalJambo

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

are these fact-check sites ever themselves fact-checked or are they just accepted to be the only version of the truth?

I made a general point about transferable knowledge the specifics of the discussion I wasn’t even aware of

Well, there was the time that the Tories pretended to be an independent fact-checking outlet and got found out:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/19/tories-tweet-anti-labour-posts-under-factcheckuk-brand

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

is that out your training guide from the Dutch company or something sourced from the internet?

It was in response to your point rather than in reply to you, I just added further weight to my explanation as a result of you saying you wouldn't necessarily buy it.

Do with it what you will

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Well, there was the time that the Tories pretended to be an independent fact-checking outlet and got found out:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/19/tories-tweet-anti-labour-posts-under-factcheckuk-brand

yeah so like everything else they are not 100% reliable - especially pretend Tory ones :)

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
30 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It was in response to your point rather than in reply to you, I just added further weight to my explanation as a result of you saying you wouldn't necessarily buy it.

Do with it what you will

:cornette_dog:

1 hour ago, InternationalJambo said:

So, are the few weeks we had to wait to see if the ‘protections’ put in place are working up now? Or should I check back in another few weeks? 

The dentist claims the tusnami will last till at least Feb ! ( someone might need to have a word with him. 👍

InternationalJambo
58 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The dentist claims the tusnami will last till at least Feb ! ( someone might need to have a word with him. 👍

Guess I’ll check back in halfway through February to check if folk still are in favour of messing up peoples livelihoods. 

I do see the goalposts have changed from my post a few weeks ago though. Posters on here now changing their stance in favour of us now ‘having to live with it’.

Edited by InternationalJambo

11 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Guess I’ll check back in halfway through February to check if folk still are in favour of messing up peoples livelihoods. 

I do see the goalposts have changed from my post a few weeks ago though. Posters on here now changing their stance in favour of us now ‘having to live with it’.

Yeah well their lords and masters (snp)   Are almost saying  that now , so they are following suit .  . Scared to be disloyal to them I suppose . Me and a few others on this have been saying live with it for a very long time . 

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

The dentist is one of these types that loves the drama of all the covids you can just tell he wants more variants more lockdowns and more spouting of hot air telling people how to live their life's and he's probably making a fortune out of it working from home 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

7 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

The dentist is one of these types that loves the drama of all the covids you can just tell he wants more variants more lockdowns and more spouting of hot air telling people how to live their life's and he's probably making a fortune out of it working from home 

👍

1 hour ago, The Maroon Pound said:

He is an absolute rocket. Publicity loving **** 

18 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok I may be wrong here but I though the generally accepted theory was viruses get weaker as more strains come along. Leitch needs to be put out to pasture along with Sturgeon. Both have over stepped their authority and it's time for them to go.

If that was the cae, then there would be no more flu, correct?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )