Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, Norm said:

If that's the case, thay we're already at 200,000 a day, and hospitals aren't already bursting at the seams, then that seems a good sign to me. 

As I said.

It's a very interesting little bit of info.  At that volume and with the predicted doubling time,  this wave could pass very quickly indeed.

200,000 becomes about 20 million in a fortnight with a 2 day doubling rate.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malinga the Swinga

Perhaps, and not sure how well it would go down, Edinburgh should cancel it's street party. After all, although it is outdoors, it isn't really a must have event and dragging folk from all over into centre of town is hardly what is required at this moment.

That is unless they want people to spread it about and go for immunity on the quiet.

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Victorian said:

As I said.

It's a very interesting little bit of info.  At that volume and with the predicted doubling time,  this wave could pass very quickly indeed.

The knock on for workplace and services will be pretty severe. Especially with everyone in households having to isolate where there is a positive result. 

10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Back it up with evidence or else it's just groundless gossip 

Pretty sure thats not how it would work in a criminal case. Prob best to let it go and accept it did happen. Im sure you accept that several long established posters having confirmed it , at the very least shows you its not gossip or as you posted below kangaroo court. Iv no doubt if ya had the time to trawl twitter you’d find mention too as its been mentioned many times on there over the years as has his other proclivity. Nevermind the poster their-self  earlier stating every bloke surely gets off on the Britney “Spiers” image….

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm really not that bothered. People can believe it or not, it's no skin off my nose. It's massively off topic now so that's my last say on the matter. 

Indeed Norm , Probably best left , it will rear its head again soon it does art least 4 or 5 times a year without fail. The circle will continue , poster noises someone , called out , poster defends action , poster distracts , poster disappears.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Only if witnesses were reliable and believable. That hasn't been proven either. For what it is worth, I wouldn't normally care, but this is press ganged kangaroo court and I don't like that at all.

Not sure press ganging is the correct term

Kangaroo Court def isn’t

Can we get back to covid now though 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Perhaps, and not sure how well it would go down, Edinburgh should cancel it's street party. After all, although it is outdoors, it isn't really a must have event and dragging folk from all over into centre of town is hardly what is required at this moment.

That is unless they want people to spread it about and go for immunity on the quiet.

Is there not a push toward immunity in the way its now dealt with. Vaccines to calm the effect get it through everyones system

Nucky Thompson
16 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

I'm not sure that's correct. 

My wife has all the Edinburgh school holiday dates pinned on the kitchen cupboard and I just had a look.

You're right, I was 1 day out, Edinburgh schools were originally meant to break up on Thursday 23rd December.

They sent out an e-mail a couple of months ago, saying that it had been brought forward to Friday 17th December

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

The knock on for workplace and services will be pretty severe. Especially with everyone in households having to isolate where there is a positive result. 

I posted about this a fair bit.  But if the majority of infections are flying under the radar to that sort of degree,  perhaps not as much.

9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Only if witnesses were reliable and believable. That hasn't been proven either. For what it is worth, I wouldn't normally care, but this is press ganged kangaroo court and I don't like that at all.

Couldn’t care less if you like it or not. 😂 It happened. Deal with it.

This thread has simply added another noun to the long list that can be used to describe i8. He’s also now a confirmed liar.

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I suspect it will be cancelled.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

My wife has all the Edinburgh school holiday dates pinned on the kitchen cupboard and I just had a look.

You're right, I was 1 day out, Edinburgh schools were originally meant to break up on Thursday 23rd December.

They sent out an e-mail a couple of months ago, saying that it had been brought forward to Friday 17th December

That email didn't go out a couple of months ago. 

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Pretty sure thats not how it would work in a criminal case. Prob best to let it go and accept it did happen. Im sure you accept that several long established posters having confirmed it , at the very least shows you its not gossip or as you posted below kangaroo court. Iv no doubt if ya had the time to trawl twitter you’d find mention too as its been mentioned many times on there over the years as has his other proclivity. Nevermind the poster their-self  earlier stating every bloke surely gets off on the Britney “Spiers” image….

Indeed Norm , Probably best left , it will rear its head again soon it does art least 4 or 5 times a year without fail. The circle will continue , poster noises someone , called out , poster defends action , poster distracts , poster disappears.

Not sure press ganging is the correct term

Kangaroo Court def isn’t

Can we get back to covid now though 👍🏻

:spoton:

Enough of i8 and his self-declared proclivities. This is a Covid thread 👍🏻

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They will but we're back to the fact the knock on effect is not directly caused by the virus but the government's response to it.

Whether that's justified or not is another question. 

Edited by Hmfc1965

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

As I said.

They seem to be expecting a spike in the next couple of days in hospitalisations. Even if serious illness is much less likely than Delta you’d expect it if 200,000 cases is accurate.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Savage Vince said:

It definitely got sent to my Mrs a couple of months ago.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Email or not, website confirms they shut this Friday.

1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

They will but we're back to the fact the knock on effect is not directly caused by the virus but the government's response to it.

That’s where the main decision comes in: manage the effect or let the virus choose it’s effect? I’d prefer the former tbh.

Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

They will but we're back to the fact the knock on effect us not directly caused by the virus but the government's response to it.

:agree:

This is worth keeping an eye on.  They're not likely to take the leap of faith to bin testing and isolation as an official policy,  but it could be a thing as a covert move.  

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

If it was changed, and I'm not saying it wasn't, it was changed around the start of this year. It wasn't changed after June. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

That’s where the main decision comes in: manage the effect or let the virus choose it’s effect? I’d prefer the former tbh.

The problem is we don't know what the effect is at the moment so the default seems to be to assume the worst.

I keep falling out with people over this but on this logic do we lock down every year to avoid a flu epidemic?

3 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

They seem to be expecting a spike in the next couple of days in hospitalisations. Even if serious illness is much less likely than Delta you’d expect it if 200,000 cases is accurate.

Then we might see a new phase for the graphs.  Up until now,  the hospitalisations were reasonably predictable in line with infections further back on the timeline.  Might we now see hospitalisations at scale in real time.  Presentations arising out of undetected virus and the positive result only being confirmed upon presentation?

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You need to have word with your wife. Tell her she's wrong cause the experts on here said so. I mean, why believe her when she's got so much to gain by lying!

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:agree:

This is worth keeping an eye on.  They're not likely to take the leap of faith to bin testing and isolation as an official policy,  but it could be a thing as a covert move.  

They might need to revert to test and release as the current full household lockdowns will cripple the country if cases rise exponentially 

The problem is we don't know what the effect is at the moment so the default seems to be to assume the worst.

I keep falling out with people over this but on this logic do we lock down every year to avoid a flu epidemic?

In what way ? Just get jabbed, wear  a mask , download a Covid passport and get your freedom back. Do that and we can all lead much more of a normal life but so many people just won't do it. 

If so many people refuse to get jabbed etc , what do you think is going to happen every winter - cos at this rate we're going to have mutation after mutation. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

They might need to revert to test and release as the current full household lockdowns will cripple the country if cases rise exponentially 

I hinted at this yesterday and before.  That something radically different might be required in order to basically staff everything we need.  The entire economy and supply chain.

Could it be there already by stealth?  Or about to be,  if they can evaluate the clinical picture in time?

5 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

You need to have word with your wife. Tell her she's wrong cause the experts on here said so. I mean, why believe her when she's got so much to gain by lying!

Noone is accusing anyone of lying, bubblehead. 

Psychedelicropcircle
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

In what way ? Just get jabbed, wear  a mask , download a Covid passport and get your freedom back. Do that and we can all lead much more of a normal life but so many people just won't do it. 

If so many people refuse to get jabbed etc , what do you think is going to happen every winter - cos at this rate we're going to have mutation after mutation. 

Id rather we built & staff new hospitals long before we erode freedom of choice in this country. I’m ****ed if my freedom every winter should be measured in beds.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I hinted at this yesterday and before.  That something radically different might be required in order to basically staff everything we need.  The entire economy and supply chain.

Could it be there already by stealth?  Or about to be,  if they can evaluate the clinical picture in time?

1st of January, UK has to implement the long overdue SPS border checks. The stuff I'm seeing on Twitter (and this was weeks ago, before the spectre of Omicron) from peole in the industry is genuinely worrying. Guys who know their stuff are predicting major issues which will impact the supply chain - and badly.  If we get a double whammy of that and Omicron impacting manpower in the haulage industry...

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

1st of January, UK has to implement the long overdue SPS border checks. The stuff I'm seeing on Twitter (and this was weeks ago, before the spectre of Omicron) from peole in the industry is genuinely worrying. Guys who know their stuff are predicting major issues which will impact the supply chain - and badly.  If we get a double whammy of that and Omicron impacting manpower in the haulage industry...

They’ll suspend the border checks I reckon.

7 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Id rather we built & staff new hospitals long before we erode freedom of choice in this country. I’m ****ed if my freedom every winter should be measured in beds.

Fair enough. But you say that knowing very well there isn't going to be the required investment in the NHS, so your "freedom" choices actually result in less freedom. 

As the old saying goes , you'd rather be right than happy. 

Footballfirst
25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's quite eye catching that it's being estimated at 200,000 a day already.  That indicates there's possibly now a majority of infections that aren't coming to light or coming forward for testing.  It seems to offer a bit of a positive and negative.  Negatively,  there could be a large volume of people continuing to mix and spread infection around.  Not much good for trying to slow it down.  Positive in the sense that the process is under way that population exposure and immunity is steadily built up.

If it's really true that the powers that be believe that as much as 75% of infections could be going undetected and they're not making a frenzied leap for the big red lockdown button,  that indicates to me that they're content,  for now,  for a certain amount of unsuppressed infection to carry on.  

It's still going to take a bit of time to adequately evaluate the likely rate of hospitalisations,  critically in accordance with predicted healthcare workers absences.  If it does become more likely that hospitalisations will be at a lower rate,  the more it will become desirable to tolerate free running infections.  

Politically, financially and in terms of public compliance/opposition, the imposition of any more significant restrictions is highly unlikely, except as a last resort.  It is a much easier sell to the public to promote boosters, even if their efficacy is reduced, and reinforce good hygiene messaging, rather than bear the costs of business support and furlough payments for any sectors of the economy forced to close down.

This is what living with Covid looks like. There will be bumps in the road going forward, but with good progress on vaccinations, treatments and a fair wind with new variants, the bumps should become less frequent and less pronounced. 

The current measures e.g. mask wearing or showing vaccination/test status are little more than an inconvenience for everyone bar the fervent libertarians or government critics.  Even if the benefits are not significant, they does keep public awareness of the continuing existence of the virus at a high level.

4 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

They’ll suspend the border checks I reckon.

Clownshoes will have no choice but he's already had an extension and would need EU agreement obviously. 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Clownshoes will have no choice but he's already had an extension and would need EU agreement obviously. 

Article 16 😉

Why does Keir Starmer think its patriotic to support public health measures? Absolute weirdo behaviour, appeasing the flagshaggers all the time. 

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

This is what living with Covid looks like. There will be bumps in the road going forward, but with good progress on vaccinations, treatments and a fair wind with new variants, the bumps should become less frequent and less pronounced. 

Sometimes it hits me that life has changed permanently in some regards and will never go back to the way it was. Pre-pandemic I worked in an office full of people and all the banter and camaraderie that came with it. Been working from home for 20 months now and will be until at least April. After that it’ll be a hybrid model. Pretty much gone are those office days and all the social benefits that came with them. 🥲 

12 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The government/s have been slaughtered for not locking down earlier in March '20, then slaughtered again for delaying action against the Delta variant, and are now being slaughtered in some quarters for acting swiftly this time.

One thing's for sure, I'm glad I'm not having to make the decisions the authorities are having to make.

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Politically, financially and in terms of public compliance/opposition, the imposition of any more significant restrictions is highly unlikely, except as a last resort.  It is a much easier sell to the public to promote boosters, even if their efficacy is reduced, and reinforce good hygiene messaging, rather than bear the costs of business support and furlough payments for any sectors of the economy forced to close down.

The current measures e.g. mask wearing or showing vaccination/test status are little more than an inconvenience for everyone bar the fervent libertarians or government critics.  Even if the benefits are not significant, they does keep public awareness of the continuing existence of the virus at a high level.

I agree with pretty much all of that.  By an irony which will be lost on many,  their desired state of living with it / getting on with it will be delayed and/or made insecure as a result of not enough people observing the basics for a while longer.

25 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I am double jabbed and get the booster this week  

I wear a mask where required. 

And yet it would appear there will be more restrictions because of this mutation 

If we have mutation after mutation it seems like an endless loop  

And yet it would appear there will be more restrictions because of this mutation 

It can be influenced , vaccination will help, greatly,  but the UK stopped talking about it when there was no propaganda value/Johnson got bored with it and now we're miles behind Europe and the rest of the world. 

My reply wasn't intended as a personal attack. 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It can be influenced , vaccination will help, greatly,  but the UK stopped talking about it when there was no propaganda value/Johnson got bored with it and now we're miles behind Europe and the rest of the world. 

My reply wasn't intended as a personal attack. 

Fair enough but our vaccination stats seem to compare favourably to anywhere else.

But here we are again  

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Sometimes it hits me that life has changed permanently in some regards and will never go back to the way it was. Pre-pandemic I worked in an office full of people and all the banter and camaraderie that came with it. Been working from home for 20 months now and will be until at least April. After that it’ll be a hybrid model. Pretty much gone are those office days and all the social benefits that came with them. 🥲 

Worked in either branches or office for over 38 years and on rare occasions I worked from home, I didn't like it and far preferred sitting in office. Far preferred being in 5 days a week, dressing for work and being professional. Made me concentrate more and felt it divided work/home balance.

Last day I was there properly was Thursday March 12th 2020. 

Now, almost 2 years later I've been back twice for 1 day each time. First was day on Oct when we met up and primarily worked outside digging as a day to get together. Other was a couple of weeks ago when I needed to empty locker. I was only one in area that holds 300 people.

Now, as I face last year's of work, I know I will never go back. Will only be there for work I can't do from home or for team building meets. These will be 2 or 3 days a year at most. Fair enough, I'm in late 50's, married and have enjoyed working life.

As for younger people, they are missing so much. The impromptu conversations, the last minute socials, the absolutely stupid and unrepeatable conversations that would make your head turn, and building up contacts who prove invaluable throughout your working life.

Great way to meet and develop personal friendships, meet potential partners and just enjoy your day.

Working from home while living alone could prove soul destroying and will impact on people's personal health for years to come.

Don't know solution but for once I'm glad to of be older.

11 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Guy from the WHO on Sky News just now saying lockdowns are not the answer and never were. As we know, they just delay and suppress temporarily and cause bigger waves later. Don't think there  is any chance of even reduced hospitality opening,  never mind lockdowns. 

Had they truly expected tsunami/tidal wave of galloping Omicron then large sporting events would have been cancelled at the weekend. 

Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

Fair enough but our vaccination stats seem to compare favourably to anywhere else.

But here we are again  

Last time I looked we were 7th in Europe (just above Austria and with the old Eastern  bloc trailing well behind) and 17th globally . But wherever the UK ranks now, it has been a lost opportunity and it could/should be a lot better.   

And to reaffirm the importance of vaccinations , just been watching C4News as I type this and the message is - we can get out of this, vaccines will play a key role and there is confidence we'll see less of a "breakthrough" as the general population builds up antibodies. 

Worked in either branches or office for over 38 years and on rare occasions I worked from home, I didn't like it and far preferred sitting in office. Far preferred being in 5 days a week, dressing for work and being professional. Made me concentrate more and felt it divided work/home balance.

Last day I was there properly was Thursday March 12th 2020. 

Now, almost 2 years later I've been back twice for 1 day each time. First was day on Oct when we met up and primarily worked outside digging as a day to get together. Other was a couple of weeks ago when I needed to empty locker. I was only one in area that holds 300 people.

Now, as I face last year's of work, I know I will never go back. Will only be there for work I can't do from home or for team building meets. These will be 2 or 3 days a year at most. Fair enough, I'm in late 50's, married and have enjoyed working life.

As for younger people, they are missing so much. The impromptu conversations, the last minute socials, the absolutely stupid and unrepeatable conversations that would make your head turn, and building up contacts who prove invaluable throughout your working life.

Great way to meet and develop personal friendships, meet potential partners and just enjoy your day.

Working from home while living alone could prove soul destroying and will impact on people's personal health for years to come.

Don't know solution but for once I'm glad to of be older.

Totally agree with all that 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Last time I looked we were 7th in Europe (just above Austria and with the old Eastern  bloc trailing well behind) and 17th globally . But wherever the UK ranks now, it has been a lost opportunity and it could/should be a lot better.   

And to reaffirm the importance of vaccinations , just been watching C4News as I type this and the message is - we can get out of this, vaccines will play a key role and there is confidence we'll see less of a "breakthrough" as the general population builds up antibodies. 

I'm not denying the importance of vaccinations.

As I said I've had mine and have the booster in a couple of days  

We'll see what tomorrow brings but if it's more restrictions some at least are going to question the point. 

21 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Guy from the WHO on Sky News just now saying lockdowns are not the answer and never were. As we know, they just delay and suppress temporarily and cause bigger waves later. Don't think there  is any chance of even reduced hospitality opening,  never mind lockdowns. 

Had they truly expected tsunami/tidal wave of galloping Omicron then large sporting events would have been cancelled at the weekend. 

I think they genuinely do expect or highly suspect a very large wave of infections.  Tsunami / tidal wave stuff is tedious and irrelevant tbh.

I think they're currently hoping that the wave wont cause too big an issue for hospitals.  The scientific community will never assume or guess upon or roll the dice on theories about milder illness / greater volume of mild symptoms.  They quite rightly require and are entitled to a certain amount of more reliable data to that existing right now.  Therefore preparing for some of the less favourable cases is justified.

Being in a position to scrape by through this wave without anything akin to a lockdown is highly desirable.  It would yield an enormous net benefit because it should be very quick.  Locking this one down looks very dangerous.  The numbers and characteristics of it + a policy to prevent all harms possible would result in a lengthy lockdown or a number of waves lasting many,  many months.

If this is just about possible to handle by the seat of our pants,  a lockdown wont happen.  If the numbers just don't allow a lighter touch then into lockdown we go.  But it would need to be an expedient lockdown of limited duration.  

Edited by Victorian

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Fair enough. But you say that knowing very well there isn't going to be the required investment in the NHS, so your "freedom" choices actually result in less freedom. 

Furlough every year or hospitals which is cheaper ?

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Furlough every year or hospitals which is cheaper ?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic