Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

So you call someone a paedophile and you "don't think you need to prove anything".  Sums you up.

I assume you had a prior user name on here.  Always find it bizarre when people change their user names especially to that of a 10 year old boy.

I think those slurs are disgraceful and a clear breach of the rules. 

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Nicola is a TV!

Well this is breaking news. Not overly shocked tbf.

Hey.  She would never get a gig on Rupauls Drag Race. Crackerjack maybe.   :) 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Only if witnesses were reliable and believable. That hasn't been proven either. For what it is worth, I wouldn't normally care, but this is press ganged kangaroo court and I don't like that at all.

Yes its deeply unpleasant . Just awful. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Worked in either branches or office for over 38 years and on rare occasions I worked from home, I didn't like it and far preferred sitting in office. Far preferred being in 5 days a week, dressing for work and being professional. Made me concentrate more and felt it divided work/home balance.

Last day I was there properly was Thursday March 12th 2020. 

Now, almost 2 years later I've been back twice for 1 day each time. First was day on Oct when we met up and primarily worked outside digging as a day to get together. Other was a couple of weeks ago when I needed to empty locker. I was only one in area that holds 300 people.

Now, as I face last year's of work, I know I will never go back. Will only be there for work I can't do from home or for team building meets. These will be 2 or 3 days a year at most. Fair enough, I'm in late 50's, married and have enjoyed working life.

As for younger people, they are missing so much. The impromptu conversations, the last minute socials, the absolutely stupid and unrepeatable conversations that would make your head turn, and building up contacts who prove invaluable throughout your working life.

Great way to meet and develop personal friendships, meet potential partners and just enjoy your day.

Working from home while living alone could prove soul destroying and will impact on people's personal health for years to come.

Don't know solution but for once I'm glad to of be older.

The old organisation theory stuff is now proving that people are actually more efficient working from home. They spend too much time gabbing around the photo copier really and other mindless office culture activities. 

Fitzroy Pointon

Is it common for their to be absolutely no available appointments when you try to book online? Got my booster letter through today and check everything within say 15miles and not one available appointment for the next two weeks. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Guy from the WHO on Sky News just now saying lockdowns are not the answer and never were. As we know, they just delay and suppress temporarily and cause bigger waves later. Don't think there  is any chance of even reduced hospitality opening,  never mind lockdowns. 

Had they truly expected tsunami/tidal wave of galloping Omicron then large sporting events would have been cancelled at the weekend. 

Yes well luckily she has her hands tied behind her back as Boris is unwilling to shake his magic money tree to allow furlough.  I think people also need to remember is that furlough is unpaid debt.  Someone has to pay it back.  That someone being present day tax payers and their  working  children and  working grand children. It isn't " free" money as some seem to think is in abundance in Scotlandia. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59643714

EB1A7471-9E1C-418D-81D8-5CBA4CD3C8AE.jpeg.bdd7f37423b77e1d2e164ed9ea2b648b.jpeg

Forty-two Premier League players and staff tested positive for Covid-19 in the past week - the most recorded in the league over a seven-day period.

It is the highest number since 40 cases were reported in January.

That week, 2,295 tests were carried out, while 3,805 tests were done in the latest round from 6-12 December.

Brighton, Tottenham, Leicester, Manchester United, Aston Villa and Norwich have all confirmed cases, with United's game at Brentford in doubt.

Edited by Alex Kintner

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Snuffles. 

Footballers. You'll be lucky if they've even got the sniffles.

24 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Is it common for their to be absolutely no available appointments when you try to book online? Got my booster letter through today and check everything within say 15miles and not one available appointment for the next two weeks. 

Very common. 

I managed to book my booster before this latest shit storm really kicked off. 

Try phoning. I've heard that even though online shows nothing, phoning might get you one earlier. Did for a friend anyway !

26 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I went to book mine last week and couldn’t get nothing till 7th January. 
Well I could have got any time I wanted on New Year’s Eve but stuff that 

Malinga the Swinga
30 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The old organisation theory stuff is now proving that people are actually more efficient working from home. They spend too much time gabbing around the photo copier really and other mindless office culture activities. 

Not buying that for a second. At the start, it might have been true. Now we have people who are unavailable for meetings/calls as they are doing household chores, watching TV, put for walks, golfing in summer, looking after kids, making meals, all while supposedly working.

Then there's the 5 minute chat over photo copier that saves a half hour official call later in day. The 5 minute coffee chat that enables new colleagues to make contacts with peers from other teams.

You can't replicate it at home, it just doesn't work.

Social media skills are okay, but younger folk can't cope with face to face challenges and it's going to get worse.

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Footballers. You'll be lucky if they've even got the sniffles.

Makes good headlines though and keeps the mass hysteria going in real life and threads like this. 

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not buying that for a second. At the start, it might have been true. Now we have people who are unavailable for meetings/calls as they are doing household chores, watching TV, put for walks, golfing in summer, looking after kids, making meals, all while supposedly working.

Then there's the 5 minute chat over photo copier that saves a half hour official call later in day. The 5 minute coffee chat that enables new colleagues to make contacts with peers from other teams.

You can't replicate it at home, it just doesn't work.

Social media skills are okay, but younger folk can't cope with face to face challenges and it's going to get worse.

I can see both sides tbh. I would say I am more productive working at home. The two main reasons for that are the 90 minutes I save in commuting time and the fact I can still deal with emails etc while in a virtual meeting. However, working from home definitely has the social negatives you mentioned before and also the ability to quickly and easily deal with something by walking five yards and having a 2 min convo 👍🏻

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

In what way ? Just get jabbed, wear  a mask , download a Covid passport and get your freedom back. Do that and we can all lead much more of a normal life but so many people just won't do it. 

If so many people refuse to get jabbed etc , what do you think is going to happen every winter - cos at this rate we're going to have mutation after mutation. 

The last 2 mutations have happened the other side of the world.

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's being reported that two jabs should still slash your risk of dying from covid by 84%

Tom they will probably be saying two jags doesn’t protect you from omicron. 

Now if they are saying that two jags doesn’t protect you anymore from omicron and need a 3rd jag then why are they going to bring in this passport rule down south that we have already? 

They are saying you need to be double jagged to get into places but on other hand are saying two jags isn’t enough to protect you anymore so need another one so what’s the point in a passport to proof your double jagged🤷‍♀️

I honesty don’t think they have a bloody clue 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

You don't even have to open that to know it's horseshit.  The 'best' case scenario of those presented to the government DID assume severity of illness at 50% of Delta.

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Cheers.

I watched it as well, but never heard him say it. I heard him say that he thought cases were at 200,000k a day though

We’ve heard that shite before. 

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You don't even have to open that to know it's horseshit.  The 'best' case scenario of those presented to the government DID assume severity of illness at 50% of Delta.

So you haven’t read it all ? But it’s “horseshit “ ? Ok 👍 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Bit like not watching someone do a press conference but still passing judgment on it :whistling:

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Correct.  It's horseshit.  The modelling did take consideration of a scenario with less severity of illness.  

3 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Bit like not watching someone do a press conference but still passing judgment on it :whistling:

Yawn 

Edited by JamesM48

Fitzroy Pointon
36 minutes ago, Boab said:

Very common. 

I managed to book my booster before this latest shit storm really kicked off. 

Try phoning. I've heard that even though online shows nothing, phoning might get you one earlier. Did for a friend anyway !

35 minutes ago, theshed said:

I went to book mine last week and couldn’t get nothing till 7th January. 
Well I could have got any time I wanted on New Year’s Eve but stuff that 

Cheers guys. I'll maybe give them a phone tomorrow and see if there's anything before Christmas (doubtful I know). Failing that I'm prepared to wait until into the new year. 

Took my partner last night for her booster and even at 7pm on a Sunday night it was really busy. 

@jonesy might be interested to know that the BBC News bulletin at 10 has a piece about the South Africa situation.

Not suppressed by the government,  it seems,  perhaps.  ;)

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Correct.  It's horseshit.  The modelling did take consideration of a scenario with less severity of illness.  

6BB3171A-45D5-42AB-8548-78CD9D7103E6.gif

Nucky Thompson

South Africa’s omicron Covid outbreaks may already be running out of steam (telegraph.co.uk)

With the delta variant, around 3% of reported infections-1 in 33-were resulting in death, but now that figure has slumped to 0.5%-1 in 200-the lowest it has been throughout the pandemic in South Africa and 10 times lower than in September last year

The infection to death lag in South Africa is only 10 days because most cases are only picked up by the time they arrive in hospital, when many are already severe. It means Omicron should be visible in the death data by now

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

:lol:

19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

South Africa’s omicron Covid outbreaks may already be running out of steam (telegraph.co.uk)

With the delta variant, around 3% of reported infections-1 in 33-were resulting in death, but now that figure has slumped to 0.5%-1 in 200-the lowest it has been throughout the pandemic in South Africa and 10 times lower than in September last year

The infection to death lag in South Africa is only 10 days because most cases are only picked up by the time they arrive in hospital, when many are already severe. It means Omicron should be visible in the death data by now

Sounds positive.👍🏻

Interesting but elusive.  The S.A. doctor cited a change from 67% of hospital presentations leading to severe illness down to 25%.  Add that to the rough estimate of total infections leading to deaths changing from 3% to 0.5%.  South Africa has a different age profile though.  Much fewer older people and quite a bit of a younger average age.  Less vaccine coverage but seemingly a larger percentage who have had a recent natural infection.

Very hard to draw any firm conclusions,  unless you're shopping for evidence to suit a drawn conclusion.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Interesting but elusive.  The S.A. doctor cited a change from 67% of hospital presentations leading to severe illness down to 25%.  Add that to the rough estimate of total infections leading to deaths changing from 3% to 0.5%.  South Africa has a different age profile though.  Much fewer older people and quite a bit of a younger average age.  Less vaccine coverage but seemingly a larger percentage who have had a recent natural infection.

Very hard to draw any firm conclusions,  unless you're shopping for evidence to suit a drawn conclusion.

They also think 'T' cells are doing a good job

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Pointless question. 

It’s not pointless to me who is five figure down with no end in sight. 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They also think 'T' cells are doing a good job

That probably forms the majority part of our protection.  Certainly here compared to South Africa.  It would be even more interesting if there's high levels of T cell protection there because it's only acquired through prior immunisation.  Vaccine or infection.  Their vaccine coverage is low and their prior infection volume is probably higher than than the UK.  Possibly indicative of long term persistence of T cell protection.

"It's not about money for me,  it's about the mental health of my staff" said the celebrity chef on Newsnight.  Before then going on to talk about her financials,  lost bookings and lack of government support.. and no further mention of her staff.

The Tory MP appeared to evaluate the severity of omicron by citing his own infection of a month ago not requiring him to "bother a doctor".

Right mate.  Submit a research paper on it.

Edited by Victorian

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

"It's not about money for me,  it's about the mental health of my staff" said the celebrity chef on Newsnight.  Before then going on to talk about her financials,  lost bookings and lack of government support.. and no further mention of her staff.

The Tory MP appeared to evaluate the severity of omicron by citing his own infection of a month ago not requiring him to "bother a doctor".

Right mate.  Submit a research paper on it.

Total facepalms for both of them. Phillipa Whitford set out the bare facts of the situation and the likely impact and they just blethered on regardless. :facepalm:

Malinga the Swinga
8 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

Worrying comments from GPs today about the impact of Project Booster on normal GP services ☹️

Before pandemic, it was almost impossible to get doctors appointment. During pandemic, it was impossible to get appointment.

Project booster won't make any difference except for some of these GP's, they may have to actually see a patient face to face.

I know that's a shock to their system and they'd prefer to sit cosied away from everyone and leave nasty things like patients to nurses whilst they sit writing out prescriptions and dream up ways to spend their money, but national emergency and all that.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Before pandemic, it was almost impossible to get doctors appointment. During pandemic, it was impossible to get appointment.

Project booster won't make any difference except for some of these GP's, they may have to actually see a patient face to face.

I know that's a shock to their system and they'd prefer to sit cosied away from everyone and leave nasty things like patients to nurses whilst they sit writing out prescriptions and dream up ways to spend their money, but national emergency and all that.

And they get about £12 for every jag the administer.

no wonder they won’t see normal patients.

Raking it in!!!!! 

10 hours ago, Ked said:

The last 2 mutations have happened the other side of the world.

In parts of the world where the vaccination rate is low. That's why it's important for developed countries to step up and support developing countries in their vaccination efforts.

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

That doctor also said that those in hospital had other issues that contributed/caused them to be hospitalised. Is it really hard to draw any firm conclusions regarding this variant ? 

Leaving aside the issue mass infection this variant will potentially cause on the working population can we at least conclude this is a mild virus. Yes people will die but the percentages especially among the fit, well and vaccinated must be ****ing minuscule. 

15 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

from SG website -    You can take your day 2 PCR test on or before day 2.

folk are just arranging to have on day of arrival or doing at home and get result next day - you dont have to wait till day 2 - its in black and white .

They must've changed th rules. Was certainly the case when I returned in March, May adn October this year (although I think they changed the requirements 2 days AFTER i returned in october).

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic