Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

J.T.F.Robertson
2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

He was comparing how complex ventilators are.

He is going on about how slow some in the US were to react to the virus. How it’s not just a flu. How it’s very serious.

I might be remembering things wrong, but I’m thinking he was going on about the number of deaths from flu, as compared to Coronavirus, weeks ago, to downplay the seriousness of this virus. 
His early emphasis seemed to be on preventing, what he considered, an unnecessary hit on the US economy. Now that the brown stuff is about to hit the fan, he’s making out that he always knew how serious the virus could be for the US, and he was telling people this all along.

How the Americans can’t see through him is an indication of how easily they can be manipulated by propaganda.

Cheers. I have CNN on in the background and missed the beginning of his ramble.

Aye, I know what he said/did when it was originally kicking off and what he's said/done during his magnificently beautiful Presidential tenure. 

He's sidetracking back to his impeachment now. Correction, now slagging off Cuomo in NY.   

He's about to duplicate his hissy fit yesterday, and at the same CNN reporter. Go on Jim, wind the simpleton up. :)

Hypocrisy, along with a slew of other undesireable characteristics, thy name is Trump.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, from one hot spot to another.

81747F7E-98BD-463C-A81E-C6CDC0B90281.jpeg

Have a look at Heathrow’s arrivals due tomorrow!

On the face of it WTAF?

12 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

On the face of it WTAF?

I think they are still pursuing herd immunity...I understand that if a country has an hub airport it is difficult to shut it down, but letting whole flights of people in from NYC whilst saying we cannot drive alone to the hills for a walk????

Fair chance the US could collapse into anarchy in my view. You're going to have a toxic mix of millions of ill, no food, guns everywhere and an insane useless president. I remember the late Kenneth Clarke when discussing the collapse of Rome stated civilisation is a fragile thing and can vanish overnight. We might be seeing it 

30 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

On the face of it WTAF?

They claim that the flights are for repatriation of Brits and transfer of important cargo.

I don't believe them.

Edited by graygo

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

On the face of it WTAF?

It’s an absolute joke to be honest.

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

They claim that the flights are for repatriation of Brits and transfer of important cargo.

I don't believe them.

Any particular reason you don’t?

President Hunch ("I think it will be like a mild flu") has blown it big time.  He downplayed the virus from the get-go, was slow to react, was slow to recognise the danger even 'though the warning signs were clear. Now the White House is predicting somewhere between 100,000 - 240,000 American deaths. Other models are suggesting American deaths could be in the millions.

You wanted the job, Trump, you got the job, and you've ****ed it up, and America is going to be devastated for years by your babbling incompetence. 

BTW, how's MAGA coming along?

You can't buy hand sanitizer in the store any more, but you can easily make your own and it is every bit as effective as the store-bought stuff, and it's inexpensive.

You need:

- plain alcohol, or the cheapest vodka on the shelf, as long as it's 40% alcohol
- hand cream. Once again, the cheapest available is good enough.

Mix the alcohol with the hand cream to the proportion 2/3 alcohol to 1/3 hand cream.

You're done.  Use it often, use it every time you touch anything. Use it every time you think about it.

Doctor FinnBarr
5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:
You can't buy hand sanitizer in the store any more, but you can easily make your own and it is every bit as effective as the store-bought stuff, and it's inexpensive.

You need:

- plain alcohol, or the cheapest vodka on the shelf, as long as it's 40% alcohol

Mix the alcohol with the hand cream to the proportion 2/3 alcohol to 1/3 hand cream.

You're done.  Use it often, use it every time you touch anything. Use it every time you think about it.

Sorry Ron but that vodka ain't going anywhere apart from down my neck, I can still wash my hands with soap though.

indianajones
10 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

You need:

Wrong I believe. 

Alcohol needs to be minimum 60%.

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Sorry Ron but that vodka ain't going anywhere apart from down my neck, I can still wash my hands with soap though.

Be sure to drink the vodka BEFORE you mix it with the hand cream. :wink:

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Wrong I believe. 

Alcohol needs to be minimum 60%.

You're right. 60% or higher is better, but where can you buy that?  I think my recipe is good in situations where you can't wash your hands ... out in the car, for example.

Trump conceding a minimum 100,000 to 200,000 will die by virus in the next few weeks. And given his known detachment from truth I feel we might regard that as a massive under estimate. Might even be the half million dead the experts have predicted as a worst case scenario.

I don't see how this nation littered with tens of million who can't even visit a GP due to lack of health insurance far less get hospital treatment can expect to face anything but the worst case scenario.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

You're right. 60% or higher is better, but where can you buy that?  I think my recipe is good in situations where you can't wash your hands ... out in the car, for example.

We can get 60% vodka? Come on Barbie lets go party

Brighton Jambo

The inconsistency of people’s views on here is irritating and reeks of political point making.

WHO say  test, test, test: 

people on here (rightly) screaming why don’t the government listen to WHO and test more.  

WHO - international travel at this stage of pandemic/transmission makes no difference and impact of banning it is more harmful not than banning it.

People on here:  why doesn’t government ignore WHO and ban all flights

Edited by Brighton Jambo

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The inconsistency of people’s views on here is irritating and reeks of political point making.

people on here (rightly) screaming why don’t the government listen to WHO and test more.  

WHO - international travel at this stage of pandemic/transmission makes no difference and impact of banning it is more harmful not than banning it.

Mirror! Mirror! on the wall?

Brighton Jambo
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Mirror! Mirror! on the wall?

Are you calling me the fairest of them all, stop it you make me blush! 

and actually on this thread I have purposely deleted my posts that I felt have are political (See yesterday for example) and have tried to be balanced and fair.  I am saving my political leanings for the other threads!  This one is too important to be derailed by politics point scoring.

Edited by Brighton Jambo

The Internet

America is about as ****ed as it's possible to be from this thing. Absolute worse case scenario has hit over there and there's no way back now, won't peak for ages and is just going to decimate the country for months to come. I used to think the UK was just a mini US with the inept leaders only caring about making the rich richer but we live in a utopia compared to that lot. Literally nothing matters except money over there. 

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

President Hunch ("I think it will be like a mild flu") has blown it big time.  He downplayed the virus from the get-go, was slow to react, was slow to recognise the danger even 'though the warning signs were clear. Now the White House is predicting somewhere between 100,000 - 240,000 American deaths. Other models are suggesting American deaths could be in the millions.

You wanted the job, Trump, you got the job, and you've ****ed it up, and America is going to be devastated for years by your babbling incompetence. 

BTW, how's MAGA coming along?

Amazingly he still has huge approval ratings and people think he's handling the crisis well.

You need:

60% alcohol they say you need here

35 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I'm no expert but how on earth can that be correct? On the one hand governments all over Europe are telling their populations to stay at home and only leave their houses under very limited circumstances to stop the spread. On the other hand one can go online, book a plane ticket, turn up at an airport and fly from one virus hotspot to another.

While the number of flights in Europe is greatly reduced, I cannot believe that all the flights that are still operating are exclusively repatriating expats.

20 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

America is about as ****ed as it's possible to be from this thing. Absolute worse case scenario has hit over there and there's no way back now, won't peak for ages and is just going to decimate the country for months to come. I used to think the UK was just a mini US with the inept leaders only caring about making the rich richer but we live in a utopia compared to that lot. Literally nothing matters except money over there. 

Totally if there is a rich guy and two poor guys but one of the poor has a little more than the poorest guy he will side with the rich guy is the mentality there.

Governor Tarkin
6 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I think they are still pursuing herd immunity...I understand that if a country has an hub airport it is difficult to shut it down, but letting whole flights of people in from NYC whilst saying we cannot drive alone to the hills for a walk????

Of course they are. Short of a miracle vaccine in record time it's probably the only realistic way out. They're just trying to spread out the pain as best they can.

We're already getting used to seeing the horrific death toll rolling in from here and other countries. It's becoming normalised. Strap yersels in, folks.

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Amazingly he still has huge approval ratings and people think he's handling the crisis well.

The power of Fox news

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, stirlo said:

I'm no expert but how on earth can that be correct? On the one hand governments all over Europe are telling their populations to stay at home and only leave their houses under very limited circumstances to stop the spread. On the other hand one can go online, book a plane ticket, turn up at an airport and fly from one virus hotspot to another.

While the number of flights in Europe is greatly reduced, I cannot believe that all the flights that are still operating are exclusively repatriating expats.

It was on the news again yesterday, when transmission is in the community the view is that some people coming in with the virus doesn’t materially increase the risk and actually the societal issues of having millions of people stranded all over the world and the economic impacts will cause more harm.  I am sure they weren’t advocating flights as normal but that’s clearly isn’t happening in any case.  

clearly in the early stages and later stages when the virus is nearly under control (I.e. South Korea now) much stricter controls are needed.  At this stage it doesn’t seem to make much difference

i saw a good article on this posted on Facebook from the ‘economist’ from about two weeks ago if anyone has a subscription but I can’t find the post.  It was really interesting and like you seemed totally contrary to common sense but they were quite clear.  

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

When out in the car, you're never far away from a high concentration of Ethylene Glycol (screen wash). Your :clap: might then fall off...sorted. :biggrin:

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

You need:

one issue, that the govt can sort (assuming it hasn't been sorted) is the duty on the alcohol produced. a few weeks ago i read an article about a distillery that had changed from making whisky/gin to making hand sanitiser for i think care homes. the problem was that even though it was not for drinking they had to pay duty on the alcohol content of the sanitiser which worked out the cost of the sanitiser to be around £25 per litre. from that distilleries could produce vast quantities of hand sanitiser. they only need to look out for the jakies trying to drink it

You need:

Wrong, needs to be 80% alcohol to be useful. Your advice would mean it was less than 30%. 

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I'm not trusting anyone just now plus a quick look at BA's website shows that they are still selling seats from JFK to LHR for travel now.

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Is it not possible to think that an organisation can be doing the right thing sometimes but not all the time without it being political?

davemclaren
23 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm not trusting anyone just now plus a quick look at BA's website shows that they are still selling seats from JFK to LHR for travel now.

Fair enough. Would certainly be interesting to know the make up of flights.  

Robbo-Jambo

Article today saying that ASOS the clothes company have a warehouse in Barnsley that has 4000 workers with 500 working at any one time. 

The employees saying that there is no way they can keep the 2 metres safe distancing rule and are quite rightly worried about catching the virus and spreading it. 

This company is not on the governments list to close down and is on the exemption list. 

So this means that a clothes company is classed as an essential business to keep open. 

Absolutely bloody farcical and an unnecessary danger imo 😏

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Article today saying that ASOS the clothes company have a warehouse in Barnsley that has 4000 workers with 500 working at any one time. 

The employees saying that there is no way they can keep the 2 metres safe distancing rule and are quite rightly worried about catching the virus and spreading it. 

This company is not on the governments list to close down. 

So this means that a clothes company is classed as an essential business to keep open. 

You could argue a case for this kind of thing and undoubtedly many other examples,   added to the nebulous nature of the 'rules' regarding 'essential' workplaces feeds very neatly into an insidious policy of herd immunity.

Also,    turning a blind eye to as much business continuing to operate = less of a draw down on the workers retention scheme.    

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Is it not possible to think that an organisation can be doing the right thing sometimes but not all the time without it being political?

For most people yes, for some posters on here no.  Literally every few days they find something to get furious about and start throwing about very hyperbolic language l.  

indianajones

Probably better than nothing!

Aberlour A'bunadah is quite often bottled at over 60%. Think the one i have is 60.3%. Bollocks wasting that godly water on my hands though! 

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It was on the news again yesterday, when transmission is in the community the view is that some people coming in with the virus doesn’t materially increase the risk and actually the societal issues of having millions of people stranded all over the world and the economic impacts will cause more harm.  I am sure they weren’t advocating flights as normal but that’s clearly isn’t happening in any case.  

clearly in the early stages and later stages when the virus is nearly under control (I.e. South Korea now) much stricter controls are needed.  At this stage it doesn’t seem to make much difference

i saw a good article on this posted on Facebook from the ‘economist’ from about two weeks ago if anyone has a subscription but I can’t find the post.  It was really interesting and like you seemed totally contrary to common sense but they were quite clear.  

Interesting but I wonder about the "materially increase the risk" point (by the way, I'm not doubting that your representation of the theory is correct). In some countries (such as Italy) train travel across the country is now severely limited to stop spread from one area to another - and I find that very difficult to square with the idea that it's OK to get on a plane and fly from one country to another. But I also think there is a wider societal point here too. For me there is something wrong about allowing people to get on a plane and fly across borders (apart from absolutely necessary travel) when the rest of us are being told to stay at home.

The more this crisis goes on, the clearer it becomes that the west was utterly unprepared for this situation not only in the logistical sense, but actually at a theoretical level i.e. what is the best way to tackle a pandemic. There are so many conflicting theories around even amongst the 'experts' that it really is difficult to know what to make of it all.  

31 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

This company is not on the governments list to close down and is on the exemption list. 

For an owner who just lost his three children in the Sri Lankan terror attacks less than a year ago you would think he would understand the importance of health and family. 

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Interesting but I wonder about the "materially increase the risk" point (by the way, I'm not doubting that your representation of the theory is correct). In some countries (such as Italy) train travel across the country is now severely limited to stop spread from one area to another - and I find that very difficult to square with the idea that it's OK to get on a plane and fly from one country to another. But I also think there is a wider societal point here too. For me there is something wrong about allowing people to get on a plane and fly across borders (apart from absolutely necessary travel) when the rest of us are being told to stay at home.

The more this crisis goes on, the clearer it becomes that the west was utterly unprepared for this situation not only in the logistical sense, but actually at a theoretical level i.e. what is the best way to tackle a pandemic. There are so many conflicting theories around even amongst the 'experts' that it really is difficult to know what to make of it all.  

I do agree with you, it didn’t make much sense to me either which I think is why it really caught my attention.

i also agree about the how to tackle a pandemic point.  South Korea seems best prepared because it has been through this in the recent past and so had a plan but also had citizens willing to comply as they knew the longer term consequences if they didn’t.  

I pray we never have to go through this again but if it did happen at least we will all know what to do and what not to do without even being told.  Social distancing, not going out and about to pubs etc would happen naturally if it looked like a repeat was happening (for most people not all!!) 

8 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Probably better than nothing!

Aberlour A'bunadah is quite often bottled at over 60%. Think the one i have is 60.3%. Bollocks wasting that godly water on my hands though! 

you would be looking at any cask strength whisky to get 60%

Robbo-Jambo
31 minutes ago, Homme said:

For an owner who just lost his three children in the Sri Lankan terror attacks less than a year ago you would think he would understand the importance of health and family. 

Exactly 

WTF is wrong with the editors of AOL.co.uk's email front page?

It highlights the closing of a service that will inevitably create another panic buy. is this deliberate?

AOL's chiefs (arseholes) should be severely reprimanded for this type of scaremongering.

Dagger Is Back
9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I get the repatriation and cargo flights Dave but 7 flights from Montreal arrived at HR at 630am from 7 different airlines this morning. There are loads of other examples. Can’t possibly be simply for the two reasons above

Flight radar shows a shed load of flights and China and USA looks like any normal day according to my learned friend  

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

WTF is wrong with the editors of AOL.co.uk's email front page?

It highlights the closing of a service that will inevitably create another panic buy. is this deliberate?

AOL's chiefs (arseholes) should be severely reprimanded for this type of scaremongering.

Sorry what have they done?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic