Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s what I meant by clear guidance. Asking to see inside people’s shopping bags or going into grocery stores and telling them to remove Easter eggs is over the top. I’m sure this isn’t widespread by the police and I’m sure these incidents will stop.

There are always a few who let a wee bit of power or a wee bit more power go to their heads, has always been like that, same with the jobs worth's.

Fortunately few and far between, but as always, it's only the extremes which make the news stands, nobody mentions the vast vast vast majority of Police who are applying common sense.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What about the Italy v Scotland six Nations game, 55,000?

That was a concern at the time for me as my sister and her man were at the game, tested negative when they got home thankfully.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There are always a few who let a wee bit of power or a wee bit more power go to their heads, has always been like that, same with the jobs worth's.

Fortunately few and far between, but as always, it's only the extremes which make the news stands, nobody mentions the vast vast vast majority of Police who are applying common sense.

Agree with all of that. 

Just now, graygo said:

That was a concern at the time for me as my sister and her man were at the game, tested negative when they got home thankfully.

Couldn't believe they allowed it to go ahead.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What about the Italy v Scotland six Nations game, 55,000?

And the Scotland-France game. Despite the coronavirus being well under way, and France being one of the most affected countries in Europe, we went ahead with that game. In fact, the first patient to die from the coronavirus in Scotland was a French rugby fan who had come over for the game. Madness. The SRU should be ashamed of its tardy response.

Just heard news that a good Jambo passed away today. Was pretty ill for a week or so and eventually lost all appetite and had a high temperature. 

Called NHS 24 and they told him he was dehydrated. 12 hours later he passed. Hard time for everybody in these circumstances. RIP Tam.

Edited by hughesie27

Just now, redjambo said:

And the Scotland-France game. Despite the coronavirus being well under way, and France being one of the most affected countries in Europe, we went ahead with that game. In fact, the first patient to die from the coronavirus in Scotland was a French rugby fan who had come over for the game. Madness. The SRU should be ashamed of its tardy response.

Mid edit, about to bring this up. Money grabbing, is my only answer.

42 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

WHO have said it has mutated but not by much from the original strain, so that's a non starter I'm afraid.

Correct, and mutations can also become weaker.

Just now, Old Blue Eyes said:

Indeed, and one of the best hopes that we have that the virus will not "meet its potential".

Just now, Old Blue Eyes said:

Almost always.    A virus wants to survive and needs to have a supply of new hosts to live in.    If it becomes dangerous enough to kill everyone then.. no more hosts.   

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Almost always.    A virus wants to survive and needs to have a supply of new hosts to live in.    If it becomes dangerous enough to kill everyone then.. no more hosts.   

Clever wee b*st*rds eh?

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

But it isn't killing everyone.

There's also talk of it transferring from Human to Ape.

Edited by ri Alban

So, what's the opinions on folk who display cold symptoms (runny nose, sore throat, congestion) and a cough? No fever. Is that a household lockdown or just someone with a cold? 

In true zombie bite receiver style, asking "for a friend"..... 

Edited by Normthebarman

Do viruses "think big" like that? That doesn't sound right, if you don't mind me saying.

I would imagine that mutations are generally random, as our friend Darwin suggested.

It is more the case, I would imagine, that if a virus mutates to the point that it is extremely pathogenic then it will start killing its hosts before it has had time to spread and therefore will die out. Not a case of "killing everyone" but killing individuals too quickly.

4 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Clever wee b*st*rds eh?

Probably more clever than some of the creatures intent on spreading it around.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

But it is killing everyone.

It's not though, is it? Leaves the young and fit, in general, alone, allowing them to make more people for it to infect. 

1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

So, what's the opinions on folk who display cold symptoms (runny nose, sore throat, congestion) and a cough? Is that a household lockdown or just someone with a cold? 

In true zombie bite receiver style, asking "for a friend"..... 

Check your symptoms here: https://www.nhsinform.scot/self-help-guides/self-help-guide-coronavirus-covid-19

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

But it is killing everyone.

No it is not. What are you all about?

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Do viruses "think big" like that? That doesn't sound right, if you don't mind me saying.

I would imagine that mutations are generally random, as our friend Darwin suggested.

It is more the case, I would imagine, that if a virus mutates to the point that it is extremely pathogenic then it will start killing its hosts before it has had time to spread and therefore will die out. Not a case of "killing everyone" but killing individuals too quickly.

Obviously not.   It's an 'intelligence' in their RNA / DNA.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Seemingly according to the scientists, the mutations which have happened have been slow as well, the virus is very effective at being transmitted from host to host so it is under no evolutionary pressure to change and mutate.

This slow mutation could in fact become it's main weakness.

3 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

It's not though, is it? Leaves the young and fit, in general, alone, allowing them to make more people for it to infect. 

Oops, I meant to write isn't. Sorry.

Bindy Badgy
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seemingly according to the scientists, the mutations which have happened have been slow as well, the virus is very effective at being transmitted from host to host so it is under no evolutionary pressure to change and mutate.

This slow mutation could in fact become it's main weakness.

Slow mutation rate is part of the reason why we managed to get rid of smallpox. 

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No it is not. What are you all about?

Again, I meant isn't. My bad.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Probably more clever than some of the creatures intent on spreading it around.

Nae probs about it, defo more clever. I've replaced creatures with cretins inside my heid.

8 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Clever wee b*st*rds eh?

Obviously not.   It's an 'intelligence' in their RNA / DNA.

Let's not anthropomorphise here. Viruses aren't intelligent, nor are they clever.

They are however very efficient at what they do, and natural mutations help them to do this.

Just now, redjambo said:

Let's not anthropomorphise here. Viruses aren't intelligent, nor are they clever.

They are however very efficient at what they do, and natural mutations help them to do this.

Humans are both intelligent and very efficient.

Just now, redjambo said:

No need to fixate on the literal definition of the word.    We all know what is meant.     

Just now, redjambo said:

Thanks teach, appreciated.

1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Yeah, it's the 3 coughing episodes in a day part that's got me. I mean, what's an episode? Is it just a cough? 3 coughs? A minute? 

Uncontrollable multiple coughing perhaps, from my non-medical viewpoint. If in any doubt, self-isolate.

Even when we win this battle against the coronavirus, it will have exacted a great toll on us. I would say we have to up both our levels of intelligence and efficiency to ensure that this isn't the case when the next virus comes along.

Bloody hell, that's a bit of a sweeping statement, you'd soon change your mind if you to deal with some of the erses I have to🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤣

Just now, Homme said:

Mrs Homme has been given one, single use mask. 

A small blessing, but one at least. Hopefully a temporary measure, and one to be repeated, until multiuse masks have been sourced?

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Even when we win this battle against the coronavirus, it will have exacted a great toll on us. I would say we have to up both our levels of intelligence and efficiency to ensure that this isn't the case when the next virus comes along.

Yes, but I meant as a virus, and good god we can most definitely be a virus to this plant at times.

Edited by ri Alban

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Bloody hell, that's a bit of a sweeping statement, you'd soon change your mind if you to deal with some of the erses I have to🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤣

See my next post.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A small blessing, but one at least. Hopefully a temporary measure, and one to be repeated, until multiuse masks have been sourced?

It's certainly better than no face mask! 

Some have been given more thankfully, but in her particular size they had stock issues.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No need to fixate on the literal definition of the word.    We all know what is meant.     

No, we don't, if you don't mind me saying. Many people don't have that same level of awareness and will literally think that viruses are wee intelligent gremlin-like creatures smacking their lips and grinning while they infect their hosts. It's best to call a spade a spade when we can so that folk aren't misled.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Uncontrollable multiple coughing perhaps, from my non-medical viewpoint. If in any doubt, self-isolate.

It's cleared up as the morning has gone on, the cough part anyway. Still have a runny nose and a sorish throat, though. According to the website, I should be fine. 

Just now, Normthebarman said:

It's cleared up as the morning has gone on, the cough part anyway. Still have a runny nose and a sorish throat, though. According to the website, I should be fine. 

Good news, Norm. :thumb:

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They have already, they're called 'single use' masks.  :whistling:

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No, we don't, if you don't mind me saying. Many people don't have that same level of awareness and will literally think that viruses are wee intelligent gremlin-like creatures smacking their lips and grinning while they infect their hosts. It's best to call a spade a spade when we can so that folk aren't misled.

I was talking about here.    

20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Nah, Sun subscribers/ogler's need pictures, make Cv-19 as ugly and nastie as possible, every little helps.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

12 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Nah, Sun readers need pictures, make Cv-19 as ugly and nastie as possible, every little helps.

Like the old Askit adverts...

276272-00002.png

9 minutes ago, Zico said:

Like the old Askit adverts...

276272-00002.png

Worse, much worse, fangs, horns,  green slime and a huge dick.

Someone from an Easter Road terracing might fit the bill.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic