• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Just live with the damn thing. A message that I'm sure will be appreciated by all of the poor sods in hospitals all around the world.

We live with cancer and lots of other illnesses. 

19 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm afraid that you are not comparing like for like.  Most UK figures quoted, are 18+, 16+ or 12+. It is unusual for the percentage of the whole population to be used when giving the high level figure.  The 82% figure for Scotland is the percentage of the 12+ population that has been double dosed.

The 64% you quote for Austria is the double dosed proportion of the whole population.

The same figure for Scotland is 71.8% and the UK is 68.6%.

The Austria and UK percentages explain part of the story, but I think you also have to factor in the level of immunity across the UK population gained from in excess of 9.5m confirmed cases.  Certainly the current level of infections being reported among unvaccinated or part vaccinated younger people will be increasing the general level of immunity. 

That's a good point and always worth keeping in mind, FF. It's maximum effective immunity within the population that countries are or should be aiming for, and you can either do that through immunisation or infection, or indeed both. You could easily argue that immunisation is the least damaging and more controllable of those two routes, as long as you are not fearful of course that the Covid vaccines are untested, dangerous, or developed in order to control our minds or wipe us out.

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

Exactly. So what's your point?

That its insensitive to say 'just live with the damn thing' when many people, including people on this thread, have lost loved ones who died with the damn thing.

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

We live with cancer and lots of other illnesses. 

Was unaware there was a vaccine for cancer.

Or that it spreads from person to person.

:cornette:

Edited by Alex Kintner

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Was unaware there was a vaccine for cancer.

Or that it spreads from person to person.

:cornette:

Nobody was talking about vaccines though. 

We live with loads of diseases that kill and hospitalise people that don't have vaccine protection.

Natural infection population immunity will eventually have to replace vaccine+natural infection population immunity.  There's not a cat's chance in hell that a high level of vaccine take-up will persist beyond this booster round.  Even this booster will be lucky to see a high take-up in the younger ages (16 to 50).  Hopefully the advent of self administered anti-virals will enable a certain level of 'living with it' over the course of this and maybe the next couple of waves.  

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Nobody was talking about vaccines though. 

We live with loads of diseases that kill and hospitalise people that don't have vaccine protection.

Is there an alternative to living with cancer or any of those other diseases?

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That its insensitive to say 'just live with the damn thing' when many people, including people on this thread, have lost loved ones who died with the damn thing.

Behave yourself. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

Is there an alternative to living with cancer or any of those other diseases?

Yeah in the general case more healthy lifestyles

11 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Yeah in the general case more healthy lifestyles

Isn’t that classed as living with them? We do checks on our testicles and get our prostates checked. Women get smears and check their breasts for lumps. Preventative actions that have become a way of life. Why shouldn’t Covid preventions become a way of life?

Edited by Alex Kintner

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
41 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Isn’t that classed as living with them? We do checks on our testicles and get our prostates checked. Women get smears and check their breasts for lumps. Preventative actions that have become a way of life. Why shouldn’t Covid preventions become a way of life?

I think most people inherently agree that some level of covid prevention should exist - it’s the degree that most of the debate is around - like we could do more including via mandating stuff to reduce the risk of those others diseases in addition to the examples you’ve given

7 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I think most people inherently agree that some level of covid prevention should exist - it’s the degree that most of the debate is around - like we could do more including via mandating stuff to reduce the risk of those others diseases in addition to the examples you’ve given

That’s why I don’t get the “we should just get on with living with Covid ffs” argument. Those who get vaccinated are taking the required prevention to “get on living with it”. Those who refuse to get vaccinated are ironically the ones limiting their own life.

Dagger Is Back
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Booster booking portal opened up.  Everyone can choose from the 0 appointments available in the Lothians clinics.  Don't all rush at once.

Well that was fun. Twice I’d selected an appointment and twice it had gone before I pressed confirm.

Very few appointments at Ingilston before 28/11 and none after that date?

Bathgate had good availability. 

10 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I see Austria vaccine rates have shot up, looks like the lockdown threat has had an impact. 

Don’t think it’s a threat. Starts today I believe.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I see Austria vaccine rates have shot up, looks like the lockdown threat has had an impact. 

Good news.

4 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Don’t think it’s a threat. Starts today I believe.

But the rates started shooting up(pun not intended) a couple of weeks ago, presumably because they knew the lockdown was happening. 

And before our resident pant wetters jump on my post this is not me wanting, or even suggesting, lockdowns for Scotland. That will never happen again imo

Edited by XB52

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Booster booking portal opened up.  Everyone can choose from the 0 appointments available in the Lothians clinics.  Don't all rush at once.

Managed to get appt for week on Sunday. Will be 6 months, 1 week since 2nd jab, si not too bad. First time I checked there were no appts and then two popped up. Guess you just need to keep trying and they'll appear in tranches.

Good luck.

We take measures to lower the risk of cancer, but it isn't virulent.

Covid is virulent so the measures we have to take are different and impinge more on our lives - I can't catch cancer from you sitting next to you on the bus. 

Footballfirst
23 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Booster programme extended to over 40s 👍🏻

JCVI also recommending second doses for 16-17 year olds.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We take measures to lower the risk of cancer, but it isn't virulent.

Covid is virulent so the measures we have to take are different and impinge more on our lives - I can't catch cancer from you sitting next to you on the bus. 

Yeah that was written on about page 50 - while that’s true it was also written on about page 51 that people not looking after themselves in general will require more of the nhs scarce resource and will also impinge on others lives

the degree to which either affect others would be be quite complex calculation I would imagine but little doubt people will have strong opinions on it

6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Yeah that was written on about page 50 - while that’s true it was also written on about page 51 that people not looking after themselves in general will require more of the nhs scarce resource and will also impinge on others lives

the degree to which either affect others would be be quite complex calculation I would imagine but little doubt people will have strong opinions on it

And it's still getting mentioned on page 1908.

We don't use asbestos any more, cigarettes aren't advertised, things are done to lower risk, and this is how we can just live with the damn thing.

Different steps are needed for covid, it's new so we're still finding where the line between risk and normal life is.

The "Just live with the damn thing" patter is just foot stamping.

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

There a loads fo Public Health measures and restrictions that are designed to make us take better care of our health and protect others around us- see smoking restrictions for example. Indeed there are public health incentives to get people to improve their health and these are very widely criticised in the same media that belated on about restrictions.

There are a few different arguments at play here - those that think the under 40/30s don't need a vaccination - those that think restrictions on those unvaccinated are wrong/don't work/against personal freedoms etc. I think it is clear some young people can still need treatment for Covid so in case numbers go up they should get vaccinated, for me if we do use VPs then the Austria model is more likely to work than the one we currently have.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Good stuff. Are you in Lothian as it was quite easy here in Dunblane ?

I take it you didn't get a letter like me. 

In Edinburgh. No letter, tried app and got lucky.

I always feel that entering this thread is like entering a pub , looking around and either staying or leaving depending who’s there ! The discourse and support of Austria’s “ response “ ………….

7B966A08-C67C-41DE-AAF0-9AAB45B8F0E6.gif

17 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Got my booster / flu jab booked for 23rd. Exactly 6 months 1 day after my 2nd vaccine. 

I'm in the Forth Valley area and got it booked quite easily although it was slow on the portal. 

My wife gets her jabs later this week after getting a letter. I didn't get a letter even though I'm older than she is. No idea why I didn't get a letter but as I was able to book online this morning I very much doubt a letter was even sent to me.

🤷‍♂️

You're telling me. I'm just wading through the treacle now...

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
18 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And it's still getting mentioned on page 1908.

We don't use asbestos any more, cigarettes aren't advertised, things are done to lower risk, and this is how we can just live with the damn thing.

Different steps are needed for covid, it's new so we're still finding where the line between risk and normal life is.

The "Just live with the damn thing" patter is just foot stamping.

none of this is new

why aren’t cigarettes / alcohol banned or in limited by law on volume etc could be the view of people determined to reduce the long term stress on the nhs

some want the unvaccinated locked down which is a valid view as is wanting people not looking after themselves properly to be much strongly encouraged to do so

personally knowing that people have many variables in their individual lives I would try to be a bit more understanding of why they do what they do rather than just assuming I know why or how to fix it

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
22 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

There a loads fo Public Health measures and restrictions that are designed to make us take better care of our health and protect others around us- see smoking restrictions for example. Indeed there are public health incentives to get people to improve their health and these are very widely criticised in the same media that belated on about restrictions.

There are a few different arguments at play here - those that think the under 40/30s don't need a vaccination - those that think restrictions on those unvaccinated are wrong/don't work/against personal freedoms etc. I think it is clear some young people can still need treatment for Covid so in case numbers go up they should get vaccinated, for me if we do use VPs then the Austria model is more likely to work than the one we currently have.

not sure there’s anything new here other than your opinion on on what might happen and vps which is a valid view which many will agree/disagree with

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I always feel that entering this thread is like entering a pub , looking around and either staying or leaving depending who’s there ! The discourse and support of Austria’s “ response “ ………….

7B966A08-C67C-41DE-AAF0-9AAB45B8F0E6.gif

Wait, what?

You've actually been rationing your posts on this thread? 

wow-ok.gif

I'm able to get an appointment at a local location which would suit me fine. However only on a date that is not quite the 182 days after my second jag, it's 8 days before that mark. Has anyone any experience of booking a booster jab slightly under the 6 months' mark and actually getting it rather than being turned away?

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm able to get an appointment at a local location which would suit me fine. However only on a date that is not quite the 182 days after my second jag, it's 8 days before that mark. Has anyone any experience of booking a booster jab slightly under the 6 months' mark and actually getting it rather than being turned away?

In Scotland,  24 weeks is used for the 6 month figure, so you should be ok.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vaccine/the-vaccines/coronavirus-covid-19-booster-vaccination

The booster dose can be offered any time at least 6 months (24 weeks) after your second dose and will help reduce the risk of you needing to go to hospital due to coronavirus this winter.

Picked one Forth Valley and one Glasgow venue at random.  Plenty of appointments on some days.  Not one appointment open in Lothian.  You have to laugh.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

In Scotland,  24 weeks is used for the 6 month figure, so you should be ok.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vaccine/the-vaccines/coronavirus-covid-19-booster-vaccination

The booster dose can be offered any time at least 6 months (24 weeks) after your second dose and will help reduce the risk of you needing to go to hospital due to coronavirus this winter.

You're a star. Thanks, FF!

32 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

none of this is new

why aren’t cigarettes / alcohol banned or in limited by law on volume etc could be the view of people determined to reduce the long term stress on the nhs

some want the unvaccinated locked down which is a valid view as is wanting people not looking after themselves properly to be much strongly encouraged to do so

personally knowing that people have many variables in their individual lives I would try to be a bit more understanding of why they do what they do rather than just assuming I know why or how to fix it

I didn't say it was new, I'm posting because of people coming out with "Just live with the damn thing, we live with cancer"

It's not that simple, that's all I'm saying.

9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

It was through this thread that I became aware that we could do it from today. 

I'm nearly 65 and I called the helpline last week as had expected a letter the same time as my wife. Apparently a few not getting letters together 

Anyway all sorted now. Good luck red 👍

Thanks, Jonno. I've just got an appointment booked. I was very surprised to see a small centre was being set up 10 minutes walk away from me so nabbed it while I could. Knowing officialdom, and with a bad experience of the shoddy organisation of my flu jab last year, I fully expect hiccups (figuratively), but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. If I walk out of that appointment with a booster jab in one arm and my flu jab in the other, I'll be a happy bunny.

Edited by redjambo

1 hour ago, Beni said:

Wait, what?

You've actually been rationing your posts on this thread? 

wow-ok.gif

image-23-10-21-07-02-8.jpeg

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
59 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I didn't say it was new, I'm posting because of people coming out with "Just live with the damn thing, we live with cancer"

It's not that simple, that's all I'm saying.

yeah agreed - it’s not that simple never has been

yet people’s views on the degree to which we live with it are akin to stamping their feet 🤷‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, cheetah said:

Good stuff, not got to read the link you posted but can only assume it’s news there’s now a vaccine for all cancers. Wonderful news and looking forward to my vaccine appointment coming through the post 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

yeah agreed - it’s not that simple never has been

yet people’s views on the degree to which we live with it are akin to stamping their feet 🤷‍♂️ 

"Just live with the damn thing" is stamping the foot, pure frustration talking.

I never said the degree to which it's lived with is, are there any other angles you'd like to try?

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I never said the degree to which it's lived with is, are there any other angles you'd like to try?

👍🏻

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

unsurprisingly I read that post completely differently but accept I don’t know exactly how the poster was feeling - fairly sure he’s vaccinated etc from previous posts so seems to agree with not just living with it

its not that simple as we agree on so i’ll maybe leave it open as to how the poster was feeling - seems pretty clear to you how he’s feeling tho which is good 👍

It's all foot stamping really.

"Just live with it" is foot stamping, as is "everyone should get the vaccine" or "people should wear masks"

It's all just people wanting others to take their line of thought.

I'm for living with it, but if others don't want to then that's up to them. More power to their elbow and I hope they succeed in eradicating it.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic