Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

When did you check? I just logged on, after checking a few times during the week and now have an appointment, which I've now rescheduled. Might be worth checking again.

Yes, I just checked online this morning and have got an appointment for the 28th...6 months and 6 days after the 2nd jab.

Not taking the flu jab though, certainly not at the same time as the booster.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I just checked online this morning and have got an appointment for the 28th...6 months and 6 days after the 2nd jab.

Why not?

1 hour ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I suppose much of it depends on your definition of Coped - this thread is full of tales of Covid being the only thing in town and all other ailments not being treated or diagnosed correctly. 

I think it is pretty obvious hospitals are going to be very bust over the next few months, cases of Covid and Flu are very likely to go up significantly, THE best way for us to avoid some kind of restrictions on our lives is for everyone to get vaccinated.

There is no indication, other than speculation,  that flu will be an issue this year. 

I spoke to my Uncle in Adelaide earlier this week and it wasn't prevalent there during the winter. May just be the NHS doing what the NHS does every winter.

Just now, Dennis Denuto said:

Why not?

Never had it in my life. Certainly don't want 2 together.

I encouraged my parents to get their jabs separately too and they suffered minor side effects. 

I, personally,  would avoid getting them together.  

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

When did you check? I just logged on, after checking a few times during the week and now have an appointment, which I've now rescheduled. Might be worth checking again.

Thanks for your message. Glad to hear you’ve got your appointment. I’ve checked a few times during the week but I’ll just start looking daily. 

👍

Dennis Denuto
35 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Never had it in my life. Certainly don't want 2 together.

I encouraged my parents to get their jabs separately too and they suffered minor side effects. 

I, personally,  would avoid getting them together.  

I have not seen anything to suggest there is any problem getting them together, I personally am not worried about it.

My Mum got them both at the same time and suffered zero side effects.

I would encourage you to get the vaccine, they have called you for one for a reason, I can't really think of a good reason not to get it.

Dennis Denuto
40 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There is no indication, other than speculation,  that flu will be an issue this year. 

I spoke to my Uncle in Adelaide earlier this week and it wasn't prevalent there during the winter. May just be the NHS doing what the NHS does every winter.

I was not meaning to 'scaremonger' about some massive Flu epidemic this winter, just that there will be cases as there always is and this always puts a strain on the NHS add in Covid and the strain gets bigger.  Covid cases are likely to rise in the winter as they did last year, but to what extent we don't know and they may not rise.

Thankfully we have vaccines to help control both viruses so if everyone takes up the offer for them we'll be fine and we can lift the remaining restrictions.

46 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I have not seen anything to suggest there is any problem getting them together, I personally am not worried about it.

My Mum got them both at the same time and suffered zero side effects.

I would encourage you to get the vaccine, they have called you for one for a reason, I can't really think of a good reason not to get it.

Yes, that's fair enough Dennis. I'm sure there's no risk as such, just that I want to reduce the chance of side effects.

But yes, I will end up getting it at some point, for the very good reasons that you cite.

Glad to hear your Mum didn't suffer any side effects.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Never heard about either of them yet . Not in any rush to get either,  either ! For what it’s worth the flu jab delivery seems very late this year . Think I got mine mid October last year . 

Footballfirst
33 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Never heard about either of them yet . Not in any rush to get either,  either ! For what it’s worth the flu jab delivery seems very late this year . Think I got mine mid October last year . 

I think the flu vaccine was available within the same timescales as last year, but I'm sure that the Health Boards took a decision, for efficiency reasons, to couple the Covid and Flu vaccinations together, with the hope that it would encourage a higher take up of the flu vaccine.

The six month gap since the 2nd Covid dose is therefore the scheduling constraint for most people.  My flu jag was six weeks later than last year for that reason.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think the flu vaccine was available within the same timescales as last year, but I'm sure that the Health Boards took a decision, for efficiency reasons, to couple the Covid and Flu vaccinations together, with the hope that it would encourage a higher take up of the flu vaccine.

The six month gap since the 2nd Covid dose is therefore the scheduling constraint for most people.  My flu jag was six weeks later than last year for that reason.

I'm roughly the same, got my flu jab end of September last year, but won't get it until this coming Wednesday when I get my booster.

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Ok thanks for that explanation. . I’m not due till December then . 

Just a wee note that I'm going to stop compiling and posting the Covid stats. For those who are still interested in following the data, the daily headline stats are posted by the SG at https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/ while John at Travelling Tabby produces excellent representations of the data at https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/.

Many thanks to all those who have taken an interest and showed their support over the last few months - very much appreciated. Also of course to @The Real Maroonblood who has provided thumbs up for the stats all this time, and now can enjoy a quiet drink in the afternoon unhindered by having to come on to JKB and check if I have posted them. 🙂

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Just checked online and I have an appointment for the 24th November at Sighthill health centre. Perfect for me

👍

I check online nearly every day and I  was  down for Ingliston.

Managed to change it to Sighthill for tomorrow.

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just a wee note that I'm going to stop compiling and posting the Covid stats. For those who are still interested in following the data, the daily headline stats are posted by the SG at https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/ while John at Travelling Tabby produces excellent representations of the data at https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/.

Many thanks to all those who have taken an interest and showed their support over the last few months - very much appreciated. Also of course to @The Real Maroonblood who has provided thumbs up for the stats all this time, and now can enjoy a quiet drink in the afternoon unhindered by having to come on to JKB and check if I have posted them. 🙂

Thanks for your daily information. 

It has been much appreciated even as I sit here having a refreshment.

👍🍺

46 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Thanks for your daily information. 

It has been much appreciated even as I sit here having a refreshment.

👍🍺

:toasting:

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Good work, red, I feel the figures are going to remain what they are for a good time to come.

A good a time as any to leave the daily update.

👍

16 minutes ago, Boab said:

Good work, red, I feel the figures are going to remain what they are for a good time to come.

A good a time as any to leave the daily update.

👍

Cheers, Boab. :thumb:

Two brothers from Kendal who tried to buy a gun online to protect themselves, as they believed that the covid vaccine was a plot by the 'elite' to inject people with a substance which would kill the 'god particle' in humans and turn them into 'unthinking beings'.

Well they have been jailed, one for 24 months and the other for 30 months, even their own defence called them 'immature'.

The shit some people will believe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-59274090

Nucky Thompson
15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Two brothers from Kendal who tried to buy a gun online to protect themselves, as they believed that the covid vaccine was a plot by the 'elite' to inject people with a substance which would kill the 'god particle' in humans and turn them into 'unthinking beings'.

Well they have been jailed, one for 24 months and the other for 30 months, even their own defence called them 'immature'.

It's mental. I didn't realise how many unhinged people are walking the streets

willie wallace
7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Well done red This was my go to place for Covid info.

Will be sorely missed.

All the best.

27 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Well done red This was my go to place for Covid info.

Will be sorely missed.

All the best.

:thumb:

8 hours ago, redjambo said:

Well done Red. Excellent effort over those long months. Thanks for all your hard work. 👍

9 hours ago, redjambo said:

Thank you for your updates. They have been really appreciated.

scott herbertson
10 hours ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for all your work Red Jambo - it was appreciated (by most!) 

I can see why you are not going to do it any more- stats getting hard to interpret due to the data issues, but also it seems to have levelled off so there is no visible trend

10 hours ago, redjambo said:

Cheers Red, appreciate the considerable effort.  🐒  :whistling:

Dennis Denuto
20 hours ago, redjambo said:

Some would say that you have built a reputation on the back of somebody else's idea...........

Not me though, I appreciate all the hard work it takes to produce those numbers every day, well done.

Thanks to you all. One of the most important things I have ever learned is that all decisions, no matter how big or small, are made by weighing up the costs and the benefits of the decision (and ignoring historic sunk costs, but that's another matter). This extends to whether to impose lockdowns, vaccine passports, or vaccine mandates, whether to wear a mask during the pandemic of a respiratory virus, or indeed whether to spend my time each day compiling and posting the stats here. Of course we all have our differences as to the costs and benefits of any decision, and how much weight should be applied to each of these, and that has effectively been the brunt of all our discussions over the last year and a half. The most important thing however is to properly research the data behind the costs and the benefits, the facts so to speak, so that the best cost-benefit decisions can be made. And often that data may be difficult to obtain. I've just tried to pass on a wee piece of the puzzle, although it wasn't all altruistic as I was genuinely interested in the way things were trending.

However, we may indeed have entered the "new normal". Unless a new variant emerges, the chances of surges appear diminished. We'll have flare-ups from time to time, probably localised, but hopefully our vaccines and other treatments will get better over time and in the end Covid will become like the flu in its prevalence and our handling of it. It's not going to happen overnight though, and it's going to be a long hard slog to get to that point. It's a pity because I honestly thought all these months ago that although we couldn't wipe Covid out, we could eventually get to the stage where it virtually didn't exist. The only way to do that however would be long-terms lockdowns, and for various reasons that's not a goer (another decision that has been made with consideration of the wider costs and benefits).

As for me, I've enjoyed compiling the stats, but it has also been a burden. Gradually, the costs have been exceeding the benefits, and now I have no longer the energy or enthusiasm to do so. As I mentioned before, however, the bulk of the information I posted is available elsewhere so those who are interested can find it.

On a side note, I have been pleasantly surprised to see somewhat of a rapprochement recently on this thread between adversaries of old. Long may it continue. I think we've always wanted the same outcome, it's just that we've had different views on how to get there. And now that we've reached the "new normal", or at least the one before the next one, we're all starting to see what this pandemic entails. There are less unknowns now than there were, and it's always when there are significant unknowns that disputes arise.

Anyone wishing to purchase a second-hand, slightly soiled, stat monkey costume, please let me know.

12 hours ago, jonesy said:

Well, M. Rouge, we've had our differences on this thread, but appreciate the work you've put in for quite some time on this. A well deserved rest (or you've been hired by the SG to run their stats dept?)!

For you:

Thanks, jonesy. I missed that one!

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Austria have announced that from tomorrow, everybody who is not fully vaccinated against Covid-19 will be placed in lockdown, it will be policed by spot checks. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/14/europe/austria-lockdown-unvaccinated-intl/index.html

Austria orders nationwide lockdown for unvaccinated people (msn.com)

was just about to post similar. This will be worth keeping a close eye on...

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

Thanks to you all. One of the most important things I have ever learned is that all decisions, no matter how big or small, are made by weighing up the costs and the benefits of the decision (and ignoring historic sunk costs, but that's another matter). This extends to whether to impose lockdowns, vaccine passports, or vaccine mandates, whether to wear a mask during the pandemic of a respiratory virus, or indeed whether to spend my time each day compiling and posting the stats here. Of course we all have our differences as to the costs and benefits of any decision, and how much weight should be applied to each of these, and that has effectively been the brunt of all our discussions over the last year and a half. The most important thing however is to properly research the data behind the costs and the benefits, the facts so to speak, so that the best cost-benefit decisions can be made. And often that data may be difficult to obtain. I've just tried to pass on a wee piece of the puzzle, although it wasn't all altruistic as I was genuinely interested in the way things were trending.

However, we may indeed have entered the "new normal". Unless a new variant emerges, the chances of surges appear diminished. We'll have flare-ups from time to time, probably localised, but hopefully our vaccines and other treatments will get better over time and in the end Covid will become like the flu in its prevalence and our handling of it. It's not going to happen overnight though, and it's going to be a long hard slog to get to that point. It's a pity because I honestly thought all these months ago that although we couldn't wipe Covid out, we could eventually get to the stage where it virtually didn't exist. The only way to do that however would be long-terms lockdowns, and for various reasons that's not a goer (another decision that has been made with consideration of the wider costs and benefits).

As for me, I've enjoyed compiling the stats, but it has also been a burden. Gradually, the costs have been exceeding the benefits, and now I have no longer the energy or enthusiasm to do so. As I mentioned before, however, the bulk of the information I posted is available elsewhere so those who are interested can find it.

On a side note, I have been pleasantly surprised to see somewhat of a rapprochement recently on this thread between adversaries of old. Long may it continue. I think we've always wanted the same outcome, it's just that we've had different views on how to get there. And now that we've reached the "new normal", or at least the one before the next one, we're all starting to see what this pandemic entails. There are less unknowns now than there were, and it's always when there are significant unknowns that disputes arise.

Anyone wishing to purchase a second-hand, slightly soiled, stat monkey costume, please let me know.

👏👏👏

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

A disgusting move. 

82% of Scotland are double dosed while only 64% are in Austria.

Though I much prefer their brothel's method of 30 mins free sexy time if you get jagged (and they are offering jags in the brothels).

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Only % vaccinated and cases shooting up, what else do they do?

Live with the damn thing, like we're doing here in the UK.

The cases here have been round about 30k for months now

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It should have said 65% vaccinated, it is not going to be great living with it at that low level of vaccination, they need people to get vaccinated so that they can live with it.

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Exactly 

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Aye, until you open the wrong door and you find big hairy Wolfgang oiled up and ready to “double jab” you.

931F1486-8102-45F8-BE0E-D3B5F6F49BC1.gif

18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Aye, until you open the wrong door and you find big hairy Wolfgang oiled up and ready to “double jab” you.

If it’s free though…

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Anyone with the Flight Radar app might have seen a rainbow-coloured blur depart from Edinburgh in the last few moments, making a beeline towards Vienna.

E6A9F434-F00B-4A43-AEED-4913A6CAD430.gif

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Austria have announced that from tomorrow, everybody who is not fully vaccinated against Covid-19 will be placed in some form of lockdown, it will be policed by spot checks. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/14/europe/austria-lockdown-unvaccinated-intl/index.html

Interesting move by the Austrians.

1 hour ago, Dennis Denuto said:

It should have said 65% vaccinated, it is not going to be great living with it at that low level of vaccination, they need people to get vaccinated so that they can live with it.

This. We're only able to "live with it" because of our high rate of vaccination in this country. A quick check of https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/austria/ shows that cases are increasing very steeply in Austria at the moment - they need to find a way to arrest that surge, and the only effective solution to do that, and to make it stick, is to increase vaccination take-up.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Austria have announced that from tomorrow, everybody who is not fully vaccinated against Covid-19 will be placed in some form of lockdown, it will be policed by spot checks. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/14/europe/austria-lockdown-unvaccinated-intl/index.html

Understandable given their situation. Also good to read that the public were informed a couple of months ago that this would be happening if Covid rates reached a certain level. Important that big decisions aren’t taken lightly or quickly.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

We can only live with the damn thing if enough people do the right thing and get vaccinated. Only 65% in Austria. 

On 13/11/2021 at 16:42, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Turn them into "unthinking beings?".....

I think that ship has long since sailed for that pair.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, kila said:

82% of Scotland are double dosed while only 64% are in Austria.

Though I much prefer their brothel's method of 30 mins free sexy time if you get jagged (and they are offering jags in the brothels).

I'm afraid that you are not comparing like for like.  Most UK figures quoted, are 18+, 16+ or 12+. It is unusual for the percentage of the whole population to be used when giving the high level figure.  The 82% figure for Scotland is the percentage of the 12+ population that has been double dosed.

The 64% you quote for Austria is the double dosed proportion of the whole population.

The same figure for Scotland is 71.8% and the UK is 68.6%.

The Austria and UK percentages explain part of the story, but I think you also have to factor in the level of immunity across the UK population gained from in excess of 9.5m confirmed cases.  Certainly the current level of infections being reported among unvaccinated or part vaccinated younger people will be increasing the general level of immunity.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic