Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We don't need more restrictions yet.  Only if the underlying trend of increases becomes worse.

Agreed.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

We could perhaps round them up and stick 'em on some kind of reservation?

Or perhaps some form of 'camp' where they could 'concentrate' on their misdeeds? Mind you, with gas prices as they are, that's not a viable solution.

Hide contents

Yes, I know, Godwin's law and all that... but there is something disturbing about singling out people within a society and restricting their access to it.

👍

23 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Austria are days away from locking down the unvaccinated. They won't be able to leave the house except for work, shopping and stretching their legs. Basically what everyone had to endure last year.

If that doesn't boost the vaccination uptake, nothing will

Imagine the reaction if they bring that in here?  Riots  

Dennis Denuto
18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Or perhaps some form of 'camp' where they could 'concentrate' on their misdeeds? Mind you, with gas prices as they are, that's not a viable solution.

Hide contents

Yes, I know, Godwin's law and all that... but there is something disturbing about singling out people within a society and restricting their access to it.

I suppose the motivation for it would mitigate for some restrictions only applying to certain people.

I am very surprised you seem to consider we live in some sort of fair society where there are different levels of 'equality' already........

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Our society is what it is, for better or for worse. Placing people hesitant to take a relatively new vaccine under house arrest is only making things worse.

I see it a different way, I am far more concerned with levelling up society than some short term restrictions for some unvaccinated people.

For me VPs only work if you have the balls to go all in and make the restrictions much tougher than they currently are. Austria need tough measures as they have a low take up of the vaccines, here it is not such a big problem.

The Real Maroonblood
39 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Austria are days away from locking down the unvaccinated. They won't be able to leave the house except for work, shopping and stretching their legs. Basically what everyone had to endure last year.

Sounds a plan.

34 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hide contents

There’s a big leap from restricting access to public events to people who are happy to pass on a potentially deadly disease over to people who were imprisoned and/or murdered simply due to their religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity.

4 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

There’s a big leap from restricting access to public events to people who are happy to pass on a potentially deadly disease over to people who were imprisoned and/or murdered simply due to their religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity.

:spoton:

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fair point, which is why I jokingly put in the Godwin's law spoiler. However, it's the thin end of the wedge, as far as I can see. Micro-managing behaviours in order to create time-bound politically expedient outcomes doesn't sit comfortably with this cat. However, I can see how those who are more comfortable with extensive government interference/influence may not see it that way.

👍👍

SuperstarSteve
45 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Imagine the reaction if they bring that in here?  Riots  

Doubt it. Majority if not all who are jabbed up will agree. 

personally would only make sense to me if the vaccine stopped spread effectively and it simply doesn’t. So locking people out of the world is a step too far for me but many will disagree am sure of it. 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The hypocrisy from those who would see unvaccinated people restricted from accessing basic elements of modern society is off-the-scale. They banged on for long enough about those who were so 'selfish' due to their living their lives as they saw fit during the massive overreach project that was lockdown, while now they demand that everyone else lives their lives as they want them to. 

I think people’s views on this will be quite heavily influenced by how Covid has impacted them directly more than their views on state intervention. For me personally I’ve lost a family member and a family friend to Covid and a friend lost his dad at a relatively young age to it. I’ve had a pretty scary experience with it myself and was really glad I had the antibodies there to fight it.

I have parents who are classed as elderly and but both very active and I want them to be as safe as possible when out and about. If everyone they come into contact with is fully vaccinated then they’ll be as safe as they can be.

I see a UK safety agency has issued advice after the first documented case of covid in a dug was announced !
” Don't share food bowls with your pet...”
:tlj:

Edited by Boab

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The hypocrisy from those who would see unvaccinated people restricted from accessing basic elements of modern society is off-the-scale. They banged on for long enough about those who were so 'selfish' due to their living their lives as they saw fit during the massive overreach project that was lockdown, while now they demand that everyone else lives their lives as they want them to. 

It tends to be the same people who are againat compulsory vaccinations for NHS/care home staff. Go figure!

Apparently, the fear of losing staff trumps the safety concerns of vulnerable patients. They're better off without a frontline NHS worker that does not want vaccinated - medical reasons excepted - as they are quite clearly not suitable people to be working in that role.

Apart from the risk to the patient,  they also risk infecting staff and causing them to have to self-isolate. Get the jab or find another job!

Nucky Thompson

Pretty high vaccination levels in the UK yesterday.

1st doses.. 119,188

2nd doses.. 47,766

Boosters.. 532,238

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yep - fair point, understand how our stances are all subjectively influenced. It's human nature. Also sorry to hear about your losses.

I've got four key workers in my immediate family who have been working in 'high-risk' situations throughout. Only one has knowingly caught it and has subsequently made a full recovery.

On the other hand, I had seen a neighbour, a friend's father and a colleague's mother all suffer and ultimately pass away partly due to government-mandated restrictions. There's also an argument over a family member not receiving treatment early enough due to CV19 being given priority over 'normal' pathogens and dying recently.

Yes, if everyone is vaccinated there's less probability of suffering, but I don't understand the judgement and negativity to those who don't when there are dangerous, selfish behaviours being exhibited on a daily basis that many of the same 'restrict the selfish *******s' cheerleaders not only tolerate but are actively involved in, not least of which involve the burning of fossil fuels and irrecoverable mining of the earth's resources which, appallingly, will not have much on an impact on themselves or their elders, but rather on their children, grandchildren and future generations.

Yeah I totally get the other side too. Had a friend whose mum passed from cancer recently and while we can’t be sure I’m fairly certain the delays to her treatments contributed. 

In terms of other selfish people, I’m all for lifetime bans for drink drivers etc 👍🏻

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Nicola will be monitoring this.

😏

:D Don't rile them up. They're riled up enough as it is already.

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There is more than Austria planning to make life harder for the unvaccinated, maybe not as extreme as Austria but the unvaccinated will still find things different for them compared to the vaccinated population. 

According to travelling tabby England now less new cases per 100k this week than Scotland...yet people still ask for more restrictions rather than less.

Weird imo 

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

According to travelling tabby England now less new cases per 100k this week than Scotland...yet people still ask for more restrictions rather than less.

Weird imo 

We must have took our masks off last week. 🙄

I Remember the glee when England had a raised period of cases. It was all because of those masks. 😂

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

I Remember the glee when England had a raised period of cases. It was all because of those masks. 😂

There will be more to it than that:

Less vulnerable people left in England maybe due to high deaths earlier 

Better weather 

Healthier populace 

More cases and thus more resilient populace 

All thinking out loud suggestions and guesses to what the other factors may be.

Certainly doesn't look (in the UK context anyway) at this stage in the pandemic that more restrictions results in better outcomes when comparing NI, Wales, Scotland and England.

2 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Doubt it. Majority if not all who are jabbed up will agree. 

personally would only make sense to me if the vaccine stopped spread effectively and it simply doesn’t. So locking people out of the world is a step too far for me but many will disagree am sure of it. 

Not a chance they will bring that in here.  It would be lockdown for everyone or nothing.   

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Pretty high vaccination levels in the UK yesterday.

1st doses.. 119,188

2nd doses.. 47,766

Boosters.. 532,238

It was due to a backlog down South.

Vaccinations in England includes delayed reports

There was a technical issue from 9 to 10 November 2021 that affected the numbers of vaccinations in England reported by NHS England. Some vaccinations recorded on those days could not be counted in the figures until today. The increase in vaccinations reported for 10 November 2021 therefore appears higher than increases on previous days.

3 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

I think people’s views on this will be quite heavily influenced by how Covid has impacted them directly more than their views on state intervention. For me personally I’ve lost a family member and a family friend to Covid and a friend lost his dad at a relatively young age to it. I’ve had a pretty scary experience with it myself and was really glad I had the antibodies there to fight it.

I have parents who are classed as elderly and but both very active and I want them to be as safe as possible when out and about. If everyone they come into contact with is fully vaccinated then they’ll be as safe as they can be.

It is a very subjective thing about ones own response to covid. I don't know anyone who has been seriously ill with it. or has been in hospital or died from it. 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

There will be more to it than that:

Less vulnerable people left in England maybe due to high deaths earlier 

Better weather 

Healthier populace 

More cases and thus more resilient populace 

All thinking out loud suggestions and guesses to what the other factors may be.

Certainly doesn't look (in the UK context anyway) at this stage in the pandemic that more restrictions results in better outcomes when comparing NI, Wales, Scotland and England.

More obese  people in Scotland too.  More drinkers and drug users per capita too which probably hasnt helped either. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There is more than Austria planning to make life harder for the unvaccinated, maybe not as extreme as Austria but the unvaccinated will still find things different for them compared to the vaccinated population. 

" the unvaccinated" term reminds me so much of the 1980s and how the " infected " and " dirty"  needed to be separated from the uninfected. ( people with AIDS/ HIV ) 

Nucky Thompson
26 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It was due to a backlog down South.

Vaccinations in England includes delayed reports

There was a technical issue from 9 to 10 November 2021 that affected the numbers of vaccinations in England reported by NHS England. Some vaccinations recorded on those days could not be counted in the figures until today. The increase in vaccinations reported for 10 November 2021 therefore appears higher than increases on previous days.

Even taking that into account, it's still pretty high, particularly 1st doses

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Even taking that into account, it's still pretty high, particularly 1st doses

I think that England is finally making some progress with take up among the youngest age groups.

Scotland has pretty well stalled with first doses, at just under 56% of 12-15s and just over 76% of 16-17s

The corresponding figures in England (including today's) are 35.5% and 63%, so they have scope to significantly increase uptake.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You are correct. The Netherlands recorded a record number of cases today (over the whole pandemic) and is looking to re-impose some restrictions or even a partial lockdown, e.g. restricting hospitality hours, possibly closing some venues and events as well as increasing the range of places that require Corona Passes (vaccine passports).

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/dutch-experts-recommend-western-europes-first-lockdown-since-summer-2021-11-11/ 

The Dutch have double vaccinated around 85% of adults, but they are concerned about the increasing number of hospitalisations, and in particular among the unvaccinated. 

Edited by Footballfirst

39 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

" the unvaccinated" term reminds me so much of the 1980s and how the " infected " and " dirty"  needed to be separated from the uninfected. ( people with AIDS/ HIV ) 

Specifically what steps were ever taken to separate the HIV+ community from the mainstream. What, if any, legal restrictions were imposed upon them or upon the community at large ?

10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Specifically what steps were ever taken to separate the HIV+ community from the mainstream. What, if any, legal restrictions were imposed upon them or upon the community at large ?

Its the stigmatising term " the unvaccinated" which i find offensive. There might not have been many legal restrictions around HIV and AIDS but plenty moral and judgemental attitudes to those people infected. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Its the stigmatising term " the unvaccinated" which i find offensive. There might not have been many legal restrictions around HIV and AIDS but plenty moral and judgemental attitudes to those people infected. 

And your suggesting people who haven’t been vaccinated will be subjected to a similar level of vitriol that HIV infected people had to endure ?

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

And your suggesting people who haven’t been vaccinated will be subjected to a similar level of vitriol that HIV infected people had to endure ?

Well who knows what will happen in the future ? Its not impossible. 

4 hours ago, Dazo said:

Yip, the case numbers in England have not increased from the level prior to all restrictions being lifted, at any point since. Removing mandated mask wearing,evidentially, has not caused an increase in cases.

Scotland should be following that lead not reverting to the flawed default of more restrictions. 

Just reading up more on Austria and their possible plans . I’m wondering how they are going to Ensure that those unvaccinated are staying at home if forced to ? Seriously how will they do this ? The only logical way is to make sure those vaccinated have Sone form of visual identification on them such as an arm band of some sort ? Police can’t check everyone outside all of the time ? So this seems the practical thing to do ? Not stirring it . Just genuinely wondering how they may implement it . ? 

9 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yip, the case numbers in England have not increased from the level prior to all restrictions being lifted, at any point since. Removing mandated mask wearing,evidentially, has not caused an increase in cases.

Scotland should be following that lead not reverting to the flawed default of more restrictions. 

Well our sensible, slow and steady approach to lifting restrictions took us to the highest rates in Europe at one point so I can see why she will want to tighten things up again. I’m sure when she’s finished looking through the windows at cop26 she’ll be back to her usual dourfaced self. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Well our sensible, slow and steady approach to lifting restrictions took us to the highest rates in Europe at one point so I can see why she will want to tighten things up again. I’m sure when she’s finished looking through the windows at cop26 she’ll be back to her usual dourfaced self. 

4/10

7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Just reading up more on Austria and their possible plans . I’m wondering how they are going to Ensure that those unvaccinated are staying at home if forced to ? Seriously how will they do this ? The only logical way is to make sure those vaccinated have Sone form of visual identification on them such as an arm band of some sort ? Police can’t check everyone outside all of the time ? So this seems the practical thing to do ? Not stirring it . Just genuinely wondering how they may implement it . ? 

Yeah I was thinking the same. Possibly random checks and spot fines.

I’m assuming your suggestion of armbands was tongue in cheek.

8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Sadly this will be true . 

5 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Yeah I was thinking the same. Possibly random checks and spot fines.

I’m assuming your suggestion of armbands was tongue in cheek.

It will be “ random” checks apparently . No I wasn’t joking about the armbands as it’s easier to see at a glance who “ the unvaccinated “ are . 

7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

It will be practically impossible to enforce this in Austria. Most of the checks will be getting done by people who don’t give a **** anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Fake teachers don’t actually get to mark homework Alex. 

:lol:

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

It will be practically impossible to enforce this in Austria. Most of the checks will be getting done by people who don’t give a **** anyway. 

:lol:

Exactly it’ll be like the vaccine passport checks here in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic