Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

James wait until you wake up to how this all actually works. It'll blow your mind.

You see the government only ever had a suite of really blunt instruments to deal with the pandemic, making you stay at home, restricting travel etc, that's all they could realistically control. The only people who could really control the virus spread has always been the individual, through good hygiene, mask wearing, social distancing and ultimately vaccine take up.

It's like the time not long ago the government still mandated mask wearing in indoor spaces, to try to control the spread of airborne particles, fairly sound logic (or not depending in which twitter/Facebook page you read). The day you 'sashayed' past the minimum wage security guard at St James centre sans mask, you weren't 'getting one up the government' you were actually making their blunt strategy fail and making it more likely that we would all have to go back under restrictions again. 

You see if you, applying your supreme critical thinking skills, decide to not wear a mask, I can't wear two to cover for you not wearing yours, or if you didn't keep 2 metres away from others, me standing 4 metres away would make no difference. It doesn't work like that. It's the collective actions of individuals. It always has been. 

So when you read about the government thinking about a fire break or something else, ask yourself why, it's not the government's fault any more, they've given the advice (the card carrying commies in public health that is), they've procured the vaccines and got them into arms and most importantly they've opened everything back up and said over to you, the individual. If it goes sideways now it'll be because individuals made it go sideways. 

:spoton:

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

James wait until you wake up to how this all actually works. It'll blow your mind.

You see the government only ever had a suite of really blunt instruments to deal with the pandemic, making you stay at home, restricting travel etc, that's all they could realistically control. The only people who could really control the virus spread has always been the individual, through good hygiene, mask wearing, social distancing and ultimately vaccine take up.

It's like the time not long ago the government still mandated mask wearing in indoor spaces, to try to control the spread of airborne particles, fairly sound logic (or not depending in which twitter/Facebook page you read). The day you 'sashayed' past the minimum wage security guard at St James centre sans mask, you weren't 'getting one up the government' you were actually making their blunt strategy fail and making it more likely that we would all have to go back under restrictions again. 

You see if you, applying your supreme critical thinking skills, decide to not wear a mask, I can't wear two to cover for you not wearing yours, or if you didn't keep 2 metres away from others, me standing 4 metres away would make no difference. It doesn't work like that. It's the collective actions of individuals. It always has been. 

So when you read about the government thinking about a fire break or something else, ask yourself why, it's not the government's fault any more, they've given the advice (the card carrying commies in public health that is), they've procured the vaccines and got them into arms and most importantly they've opened everything back up and said over to you, the individual. If it goes sideways now it'll be because individuals made it go sideways. 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Indeed. :thumb:

The Old Tolbooth
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Brilliant post, agree with every word, and if I could still offer kudos for using the word "sashayed", then I would, top work sir! :clap:

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I've got a feeling there'll be a few who offer a rebuttal...

The bookies aren't even taking odds on who they will be either :rolleyes:

The NHS also had a responsibility to ensure effective infection control procedures were in place. The Govt also had responsibility to ensure positive patients were not moved into care home settings. Both failed.

You're correct on some points but overplay the effectiveness of masks, collectively or individually worn.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The NHS also had a responsibility to ensure effective infection control procedures were in place. The Govt also had responsibility to ensure positive patients were not moved into care home settings. Both failed.

You're correct on some points but overplay the effectiveness of masks, collectively or individually worn.

He hasn't overplayed the effectiveness of masks because he hasn't made any claims regarding the extent to which masks prevent infection.  They are merely one mitigation that contributes to reducing infection.  

0AAE401C-9DB4-4059-AD76-E329AD494EC2.gif

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

He hasn't overplayed the effectiveness of masks because he hasn't made any claims regarding the extent to which masks prevent infection.  They are merely one mitigation that contributes to reducing infection.  

He has overplayed it. He actually stated that one person sashaying through a shopping centre without a mask "was making the Govt strategy fail".

2 hours ago, escobri said:

James is a bad lad, his sashay has doomed us all 🙈 whereas the government's and their lieing, thieving, corrupt, power grabbing ****'s have done all they can to look after our health and wellbeing throughout. Good morning all,let's enjoy the ride as its just warming up still. All aboard.

8AE59B4F-7B54-4C22-B6E3-DA1CFB3C9A44.gif

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. :thumb:

27 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Brilliant post, agree with every word, and if I could still offer kudos for using the word "sashayed", then I would, top work sir! :clap:

26 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

The bookies aren't even taking odds on who they will be either :rolleyes:

B0B6D393-7D6E-43D1-A1D2-9FD06C1EBBDE.gif

9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He has overplayed it. He actually stated that one person sashaying through a shopping centre without a mask "was making the Govt strategy fail".

I know Jesus wept . Just call me Typhoid Mary ! 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I know Jesus wept . Just call me Typhoid Mary ! 

It is actually chilling to watch footage from Parliament now and see the opposition benches, muzzled in unison. Scary stuff.

Although, arguably, it improves the standard of discourse.🤣

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It is actually chilling to watch footage from Parliament now and see the opposition benches, muzzled in unison. Scary stuff.

Although, arguably, it improves the standard of discourse.🤣

👍👍

21 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Nope.  That's an illustrative point,  not offered as a literal point of fact.  You're merely misrepresenting his post.  You're good at that.

Just now, Victorian said:

Nope.  That's an illustrative point,  not offered as a literal point of fact.  You're merely misrepresenting his post.  You're good at that.

Give him a break, the poor wee lamb has been traumatised by seeing people wearing masks on the telly. Chilled to the core so he is. :sob: 

Konrad von Carstein
25 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hmmm... No.

The point he was making while addressing James was that everyone sashayed* as James had done THEN there would be issues. You knew that though :)

*wouldn't be me but,  as my hips would pop oot their sockets if I was to sashay anywhere for prolonged periods.

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Give him a break, the poor wee lamb has been traumatised by seeing people wearing masks on the telly. Chilled to the core so he is. :sob: 

Think he was making an illustrative point like the kind he misrepresented from another guy's post.  :)

The Mighty Thor
55 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I cannot and will not argue the care home fiasco. Head should roll for that.

The NHS, through their clinical and public health people did what they could to put effective infection control procedures in place. They advised you to wash your hands, they advised you to wear a mask, to avoid gatherings, to socially distance and then the NHS played their trump card, they offered you a vaccine.  I'm not really sure what else they could do other than send someone round to bed bath your hands for you?

You've been chuntering on for 18 months about big government intervention and how you could critically think for yourself and yet lapse into the classic 'somebody (the NHS) should do something'. You're right somebody should and that somebody is you. If you take the precautions and mitigations and everyone else does then et voila the virus is under control. 

The virus is still running at high case levels. I'll tell you who has failed?

Us. 

19 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Hmmm... No.

The point he was making while addressing James was that everyone sashayed* as James had done THEN there would be issues. You knew that though :)

*wouldn't be me but,  as my hips would pop oot their sockets if I was to sashay anywhere for prolonged periods.

Sashaying away isn’t just a physical act it’s an attitude ! “ confidence , self love and knowing yourself “ ! 😎

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The NHS, through their clinical and public health people did what they could to put effective infection control procedures in place. They advised you to wash your hands, they advised you to wear a mask, to avoid gatherings, to socially distance and then the NHS played their trump card, they offered you a vaccine.  I'm not really sure what else they could do other than send someone round to bed bath your hands for you?

You've been chuntering on for 18 months about big government intervention and how you could critically think for yourself and yet lapse into the classic 'somebody (the NHS) should do something'. You're right somebody should and that somebody is you. If you take the precautions and mitigations and everyone else does then et voila the virus is under control. 

Us

I suggested this many months ago and was rounded on.  But you're spot on.  

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Us. 

I find it difficult to argue with you on this Mighty. 

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Sashaying away isn’t just a physical act it’s an attitude ! “ confidence , self love and knowing yourself “ ! 😎

😳

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
17 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Us. 

last paragraph

that assumes that it is possible other than in the short-term to control a virus such as this

some scientists from day 1 said they didn’t think it was possible and pretty-much everyone living any semblance of a normal life would at some stage get it over time

they also predicted that when this played out it would be suggested that plan A hadn’t failed it just hadnt been done well enough

8 minutes ago, indianajones said:

He's a slavering numpty thats making an arse of himself in his short time as president. 

Better than Trump

anyone with half a brain will know this 

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I find it difficult to argue with you on this Mighty. 

We're two sides of the same coin underneath it all 👍

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Better than Trump

anyone with half a brain will know this 

According to Biden you can't catch the virus if you're vaccinated, so what the problem?

Just now, Taffin said:

According to Biden you can't catch the virus if you're vaccinated, so what the problem?

Where did he say that exactly?

6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

last paragraph

that assumes that it is possible other than in the short-term to control a virus such as this

some scientists from day 1 said they didn’t think it was possible and pretty-much everyone living any semblance of a normal life would at some stage get it over time

they also predicted that when this played out it would be suggested that plan A hadn’t failed it just hadnt been done well enough

Yes the clue is in the word “ virus “ it’ll never go away 

Oliver Dowden says that vaccine passports will almost certainly be needed in nightclubs in England.  He must have Douglas Ross wailing in his ear "aye but what's a nightclub likes?".

Edited by Victorian

From the PHE week 36 report.

Interpretation of the data

These data should be considered in the context of vaccination status of the populationg groups shown in the rest of this report. The vaccination status of cases, inpatients and deaths is not the most appropriate method to assess vaccine effectiveness and there is

a high risk of misinterpretation. Vaccine effectiveness has been formally estimated from a number of different sources and is described earlier in this report.

In the context of very high vaccine coverage in the population, even with a highly effective vaccine, it is expected that a large proportion of cases, hospitalisations and deaths would occur in vaccinated individuals, simply because a larger proportion of the population are vaccinated than unvaccinated and no vaccine is 100% effective. This is especially true because vaccination has been prioritised in individuals who are more susceptible or more at risk of severe disease. Individuals in risk groups may also be more at risk of hospitalisation or death due to non-COVID-19 causes, and thus may be hospitalised or die with COVID-19 rather than because of COVID-19.

Edited by Footballfirst

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

B540C9D0-8D0A-47ED-95F6-94768C59A637.jpeg

If that's the best you can come up with, and that saying has been around for ages, then you're struggling.

Do I like wearing mask - no, not really, but it isn't the biggest inconvenience so if that's what it takes, then fair enough.

All these crusaders worried about their personal freedoms being stolen and fighting for everyone else's rights. Just desperate for attention.

We all have to live within rules, and sometimes these rules change. Get over it.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

last paragraph

Some scientists would appear to be right. It does look like one would do very well to dodge Covid the way it is going. 

I can't comment on whether plan A has worked or not. My opinion is that it was necessary, if sometimes poorly executed, to get us to the point of having a vaccine solution which is keeping the current hospitalisations and ICU levels relatively low despite the virus apparently ripping though the community at present. 

Would that be a measure of some success?

The flaw in the plan for me has been the rhetoric that having two jabs makes you bullet proof. It has meant a lot of people have just stopped thinking about the other stuff, the hand washing, face covering in certain situations and personal space. 

At the end of the day, we can only really control what we do personally and be aware of what the impacts of those actions has on ourselves or others.

32 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Some scientists would appear to be right. It does look like one would do very well to dodge Covid the way it is going. 

I can't comment on whether plan A has worked or not. My opinion is that it was necessary, if sometimes poorly executed, to get us to the point of having a vaccine solution which is keeping the current hospitalisations and ICU levels relatively low despite the virus apparently ripping though the community at present. 

Would that be a measure of some success?

The flaw in the plan for me has been the rhetoric that having two jabs makes you bullet proof. It has meant a lot of people have just stopped thinking about the other stuff, the hand washing, face covering in certain situations and personal space. 

At the end of the day, we can only really control what we do personally and be aware of what the impacts of those actions has on ourselves or others.

Yes I think Enzo and myself have argued that from the beginning . Making a “ Personal risk assessment” taking responsibility 

37 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Agreed. I've spoken to a fair number of folk who have believed this (until I've put them right of course in my own inimitable dour fashion).

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Sashaying away isn’t just a physical act it’s an attitude ! “ confidence , self love and *knowing yourself “ ! 😎

*My condolences.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Agreed. I've spoken to a fair number of folk who have believed this (until I've put them right of course in my own inimitable dour fashion).

Aye, quite right, it's fecking jags. 😡

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic