Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm confused, Thor. What mask wearing relaxations have come in to place in Scotland???

In England, apart from the posturing,  opposition pygmies in the House of Commons, nobody wears masks. Case numbers have not shifted.

In Scotland,  they are still mandatory, yet cases have increased?

Don't tell me the mask wearing myrh has been busted.🤣

Spot on Enzo. For 2 months now, nobody has been wearing them in England, except labour and the SNP benches in the house of commons :lol:

Cases there have been lower than Scotland for about a month now. 

Go figure 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm confused, Thor. What mask wearing relaxations have come in to place in Scotland???

In England, apart from the posturing,  opposition pygmies in the House of Commons, nobody wears masks. Case numbers have not shifted.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Spot on Enzo. For 2 months now, nobody has been wearing them in England, except labour and the SNP benches in the house of commons :lol:

Cases there have been lower than Scotland for about a month now. 

Go figure 

Yes surely the experts on this can give us their view why Scotland is so well ahead of England with infections despite masks and other restrictions still in place ? 

Dennis Reynolds

If you go back a few pages folk were on here telling everyone that the good people in England where continuing to wear masks even though they weren't legally obliged to. The government had done the right thing in letting the people decide. Personal responsibility was said quite a lot.

Now nobody has been wearing them? Cool.

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

This is not the case. I've spent the last week in England and before going had assumed that it was mask free, but it is far from the case. Almost every indoor place recommends face masks and I'd estimate that about 30% of people wear them voluntarily in shops, for example, with a much higher percentage of staff doing likewise. Obviously people are left to make their own choices, but I observed many elderly wear them as a matter of course and I was particularly surprised by how many people in their late teens and early twenties that did likewise. 

I quite liked it. I found myself putting on a mask as and when I felt there were issues of crowding and lack of air circulation (which was quite often), but being left to make my own risk assessment gave me a sense of freedom from the contradictory and dictatorial situation forced on us in Scotland. It certainly didn't make me feel or behave any more irresponsibly.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, LMc said:

If you go back a few pages folk were on here telling everyone that the good people in England where continuing to wear masks even though they weren't legally obliged to. The government had done the right thing in letting the people decide. Personal responsibility was said quite a lot.

To be fair, most elderly people still wear them in supermarkets and shops.

It's just about non existent in hospitality settings though, except for the odd person swaggering around with their chest stuck out, Scott Brown style, 'I done care if folk laugh at me'

Dennis Reynolds
39 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

On 08/08/2021 at 21:32, Enzo Chiefo said:

There was an article in The Times, iirc, last week quoting exactly the same compliance rates ,at 95% ,in both Scotland and England, despite mask wearing no longer being mandated in England.

:hartley:

12 minutes ago, LMc said:

It's almost as if some posters just make up stories to support their standpoint. It's so obvious but, to be fair, it happens on both sides of the argument

Dennis Reynolds
4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

It's almost as if some posters just make up stories to support their standpoint. It's so obvious but, to be fair, it happens on both sides of the argument

It does indeed. 

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, LMc said:

To be fair to Enzo, when he posted that, people wear still wearing them most of the time

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Dodge and deflect. 

I think we're done here. 

54 minutes ago, LMc said:

That was a month ago ffs.

Glad you've got a lot of time on your hands to trawl back though. It proves the point that,  despite the pant wetting at the time from the likes of Starmer and Sturgeon, mandating mask wearing is futile.  Neither increases compliance nor, more importantly, reduces infection.

36 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Dodge and deflect. 

I think we're done here. 

You've retreated to the underground bunker.

Hardly deflecting or dodging; YOU posted a graph that, ostensibly, proved how mask wearing relaxations had increased cases. 

Only problem being that said "relaxations" don't exist.

You're wrong. At least have the cojones to admit it.

49 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

To be fair to Enzo, when he posted that, people wear still wearing them most of the time

Exactly NT. It aint easy stopping the fake news juggernaut in it's tracks.😂

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly NT. It aint easy stopping the fake news juggernaut in it's tracks.😂

👍

1 hour ago, LMc said:

There's still a lot of mask wearing, but it is reducing as we travel. The government got it right...a rare feat.

1 hour ago, LMc said:

Depsite my post above, it's absolutely nowhere near 95% now. It probably wasn't that high back then in my experience but it was high.

I'd say in supermarkets etc is about 50% and in hospitality near zero.

Edited by Taffin

Just in case anyone had forgotten the hysteria following Boris's decision to remove the mandatory mask wearing requirement.  Chief Mammy and Starmer, as always, at the forefront of the scaremongering and whinging.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pm-suffers-backlash-over-decision-to-ditch-rules-on-wearing-face-masks-12349608

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Just in case anyone had forgotten the hysteria following Boris's decision to remove the mandatory mask wearing requirement.  Chief Mammy and Starmer, as always, at the forefront of the scaremongering and whinging.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pm-suffers-backlash-over-decision-to-ditch-rules-on-wearing-face-masks-12349608

Only the critical thinkers could see through the politicking Enzo :smugger:

If Chief Mammy told the cult to wear face masks on there arses, they would do it, no question

13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If Chief Mammy told the cult to wear face masks on there arses, they would do it, no question

Absolutely, NT👍. The chilling sight of the opposition benches at WM is politicking at it's worst.

Hope you enjoy your unmuzzled weekend over the border 

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Absolutely, NT👍. The chilling sight of the opposition benches at WM is politicking at it's worst.

Hope you enjoy your unmuzzled weekend over the border 

I'm unmuzzled both sides of the border Enzo. 

Don't give a feck in England and exempt in Scotland :thumbsup:

I'm not a pawn in any political game 

manaliveits105
33 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Well they talk out them 

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Depsite my post above, it's absolutely nowhere near 95% now. It probably wasn't that high back then in my experience but it was high.

I'd say in supermarkets etc is about 50% and in hospitality near zero.

Was in tescos in Blairgowrie earlier in the week - 100% with masks on . Not a single person unmasked

maybe news hasn't reached up here?

4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That Starmer is insipid . It’s the only word I can describe him as. 

4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

😂

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

👍👍

Edited by JamesM48

I see no way to get a lid on this thing while a large proportion of the worlds remains unvaccinated. For example only about 3% of Africa is vaccinated compared to 65% in the UK.

Less than 40 million of 1.275 billion people unvaccinated and circulating the virus. Providing it with countless opportunities to mutate in a highly detrimental manner.

Is it truly realistic to keep out these mutations? I don't see it. 

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I see no way to get a lid on this thing while a large proportion of the worlds remains unvaccinated. For example only about 3% of Africa is vaccinated compared to 65% in the UK.

Less than 40 million of 1.275 billion people unvaccinated and circulating the virus. Providing it with countless opportunities to mutate in a highly detrimental manner.

Is it truly realistic to keep out these mutations? I don't see it. 

There are several reasons why Africa is going to be hard to vaccinate the majority of the population.

Obviously one being lack of vaccine supplies but cultural & vaccine hesitancy are also a huge problem.

Sky News UK has reported from various different African countries and the level of vaccine take-up is poor in many of those countries, including one or two countries, Malawi was one and I think South Sudan also having to bin their supplies of the AZ vaccine because nobody wanted it and it had went out of date, it wasn't for fear of side effects, it was just fear of vaccines period.  There are several African countries which don't have a good record of vaccinations, mostly down to complete mis-trust in vaccines of any kind, then you have vaccine hesitancy with many people believing that they don't need the vaccine because God will protect them or that they are protected by the brew of a local doctor or that the vaccines turn you into a zombie and other such nonsense.

Even if Africa had a plentiful supply of vaccines there are still many other isssues it needs to try and overcome before most of population are vaccinated.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Look at me, look at me 😁

Francis Albert
12 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That was a month ago ffs.

Glad you've got a lot of time on your hands to trawl back though. It proves the point that,  despite the pant wetting at the time from the likes of Starmer and Sturgeon, mandating mask wearing is futile.  Neither increases compliance nor, more importantly, reduces infection.

Mask wearing is still common here in shops and supermarkets and even the street. Compliance with London Transport's mask requirement is very high despite it never being enforced as far as I have seen.

It never was a requirement in pubs and restaurants except the pointless ritual donning of a mask to walk a few yards to your table with those you were going to eat or drink with ot to walk alone to the toilet.

I, and others, have been banging on about the bureaucracy that strangles the NHS and hoovers up vast amounts of cash, the top-heavy management structure and the fact that it requires a "root and branch" review about how it's funded and what it should provide.

This is an interesting read:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9979131/Top-medic-STEPHEN-SMITH-says-NHS-never-improve-entire-radical-surgery.html

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Mask wearing is still common here in shops and supermarkets and even the street. Compliance with London Transport's mask requirement is very high despite it never being enforced as far as I have seen.

It never was a requirement in pubs and restaurants except the pointless ritual donning of a mask to walk a few yards to your table with those you were going to eat or drink with ot to walk alone to the toilet.

At least you have the choice, FA, in certain settings.

But Johnson was pilloried and accused of being "reckless" for removing the mandatory mask wearing requirement. 

Turns out it's not made a blind bit of difference to case numbers.

So, Starmer, and the SNP, were highly critical of Johnson both on mask wearing and for not joining the EU Medicines Agency vaccination programme, using hysterical language in the process.

Hopefully both Starmer and Sturgeon are now suitably humble

:greggy:

People acting in cooperation to wear face coverings was a flawed strategy because people don't want to cooperate = face coverings are ineffective = nobody should wear them then.  Ha ha ha.  That's just a race to the bottom while waving a white flag of defeat.  

But wait... at the same time,  apparently if face coverings were necessary,  the government should have been even MORE draconian by backing them up with zero tolerance no entry orders and on the spot fines.  

:rofl:

A two faced,  contradictory,  downright dishonest parody.  One face routinely lambasting the restrictive powers upon us all.  The other face employing the absence of even more restrictive practice as a justification to remove a less restrictive,  cooperative version.

It's really quite absurd.  But there it is.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Potato head says no vaccine passports in England.  

Just about to post. Quite right too. They are discriminatory. Anyone who can't have the vaccine will be punished. Also people have the right to choose. I feel sorry for anyone who are going to be effected by this. 

periodictabledancer
25 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I, and others, have been banging on about the bureaucracy that strangles the NHS and hoovers up vast amounts of cash, the top-heavy management structure and the fact that it requires a "root and branch" review about how it's funded and what it should provide.

This is an interesting read:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9979131/Top-medic-STEPHEN-SMITH-says-NHS-never-improve-entire-radical-surgery.html

Quite simply the kind of propaganda piece you'd expect in the Mail. And I'm no fan of the NHS . 

11 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Quite simply the kind of propaganda piece you'd expect in the Mail. And I'm no fan of the NHS . 

Or "whistle blowing " if you like.

We all know that the NHS and transparency aren't good bedfellows but this piece came from a senior health professional who has worked around the world.

Were there any parts of the article that you want to contest?

33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Potato head says no vaccine passports in England.  Not yet.

"Potato head". Probably sums up the level of debate on this Board.

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Another poster handed him his arse twice on this topic, with evidence, and he's still banging on about it.

35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

People acting in cooperation to wear face coverings was a flawed strategy because people don't want to cooperate = face coverings are ineffective = nobody should wear them then.  Ha ha ha.  That's just a race to the bottom while waving a white flag of defeat.  

But wait... at the same time,  apparently if face coverings were necessary,  the government should have been even MORE draconian by backing them up with zero tolerance no entry orders and on the spot fines.  

:rofl:

A two faced,  contradictory,  downright dishonest parody.  One face routinely lambasting the restrictive powers upon us all.  The other face employing the absence of even more restrictive practice as a justification to remove a less restrictive,  cooperative version.

It's really quite absurd.  But there it is.

In short, if you think it prevents infection control, mandate it and enforce it.

If you simply want to be seen to be doing something and effect ongoing societal behavioural change then "encourage" people and "tip toe" around everyone's sensitivities.

ScotGov chose 2nd strategy, which was flawed.

Conclusion: if a job's worth doing then do it right.

But then I think you knew that.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Another poster handed him his arse twice on this topic, with evidence, and he's still banging on about it.

What evidence? A silly wee graph??I've just presented a damning indictment of the NHS straight from someone who knows a damned sight more than randoms with agendas, like you.

31 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Just about to post. Quite right too. They are discriminatory. Anyone who can't have the vaccine will be punished. Also people have the right to choose. I feel sorry for anyone who are going to be effected by this. 

Nope.  Genuine cases such as these were always going to have an exemption.  But they're not proceeding yet anyway.

9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

"Potato head". Probably sums up the level of debate on this Board.

Bogus scramble to the high ground considering the ridicule you've placed on others throughout.

periodictabledancer
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Or "whistle blowing " if you like.

We all know that the NHS and transparency aren't good bedfellows but this piece came from a senior health professional who has worked around the world.

Were there any parts of the article that you want to contest?

Not interested mate. He makes accusations of colossal waste but offers no explanation other than NHS bias. He also offers a trivialisation of  the NHS behemoth problems by talking about appointment times. I'd rather talking about lying,  useless surgeons,  Failing procedures/ processes , government cover ups , lack of nurses , the role of the BMA and RCN in allowing the NHS to fail.  But it's much easier to lump it all in with the " failing NHS " narrative. Much easier to blame it on "waste' or "bureaucracy". In short, it's a lazy predictable piece. 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Bogus scramble to the high ground considering the ridicule you've placed on others throughout.

Whatever.  As usual, you concoct your own spin on posts in order to present alternative,  Victorian facts.

I can only lead you to water, the rest is up to you

The Mighty Thor

What evidence? A silly wee graph??I've just presented a damning indictment of the NHS straight from someone who knows a damned sight more than randoms with agendas, like you.

Football First spanked you up and down on this already. Twice.

You posted an article from the Daily Mail. Did you critically think what agenda they might have?

In short, if you think it prevents infection control, mandate it and enforce it.

If you simply want to be seen to be doing something and effect ongoing societal behavioural change then "encourage" people and "tip toe" around everyone's sensitivities.

ScotGov chose 2nd strategy, which was flawed.

Conclusion: if a job's worth doing then do it right.

But then I think you knew that.

Another bogus argument.  It's absolutely priceless that you're using the absence of highly restrictive practice to justify not having less restrictive practice.  If there was zero tolerance no entry mandates and instant fines then yoh would have been shrieking from the rooftops.  

Provide personal responsibility you've always insisted.  The public have been granted that under the light touch mask mandate.  Treating people as able to participate in an effort without absolute power coming to bear on them.  

Your position on this is utterly absurd.

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Are you involved in politics in anyway? You appear to continue with your agenda regardless of any counter response. The sort of behaviour expected from some of the moon howlers masquerading as MPs or unionist MSPs.

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Are you involved in politics in anyway? You appear to continue with your agenda regardless of any counter response. The sort of behaviour expected from some of the moon howlers masquerading as MPs or unionist MSPs.

Says the guy who thinks WM are "robbing" Scots.🤣🤣

periodictabledancer
13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Football First spanked you up and down on this already. Twice.

You posted an article from the Daily Mail. Did you critically think what agenda they might have?

👏

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There are several reasons why Africa is going to be hard to vaccinate the majority of the population.

Obviously one being lack of vaccine supplies but cultural & vaccine hesitancy are also a huge problem.

Sky News UK has reported from various different African countries and the level of vaccine take-up is poor in many of those countries, including one or two countries, Malawi was one and I think South Sudan also having to bin their supplies of the AZ vaccine because nobody wanted it and it had went out of date, it wasn't for fear of side effects, it was just fear of vaccines period.  There are several African countries which don't have a good record of vaccinations, mostly down to complete mis-trust in vaccines of any kind, then you have vaccine hesitancy with many people believing that they don't need the vaccine because God will protect them or that they are protected by the brew of a local doctor or that the vaccines turn you into a zombie and other such nonsense.

Even if Africa had a plentiful supply of vaccines there are still many other isssues it needs to try and overcome before most of population are vaccinated.

I'm not on some platform of slating the wealthy countries for hogging vast quantities of vaccine. We have to take care of our own first and it might even be argued that it's in the interests of the less developed nations that we, the highly developed world, take care of our own interests first. Since if we didn't our ability to help them may be greatly reduced.

I get the problems with vaccinating Africa, hell it was sometimes hard just to transport the vaccine even in the wealthy nations. Given the super low temperatures some of them required.

My point is that given so many will be unvaccinated so close to Europe it's an absolutely certainty it's going to be mutating like crazy there and will create many more variants. How many variants are there since it started? That's not going to stop.

And I see no way to keep it out of Europe when these mutations occur. 

Oh dear Wee Sturgeon will be losing more popularity now it seems Scotland will issuing vaccine passports whilst England won’t . How’s she gonna argue that one ? What about English tourists visiting here who won’t get access to places ? She needs to take a leaf out of BJ book and bin in . But she’s a stubborn tattie hied so doubt she will . Anything to be different from England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic