Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

TBF, some of those Labour MPs are particularly ugly. The Tories are, too, BTW, it's just they are less self-conscious!

Aye :biggrin2: It was a pity fatty Blackford didn't keep his mask on while slavering his usual pish

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

"Saved"? :laugh2:

Yes, "saved". You've learned about  past participles and inverted commas in the same post. Every day's a school day, Smithee👍

Never seen it mentioned here yet but covid in wastewater is at it highest ever. gov reckons over 80% of youngsters have antibodies most from natural infections and over 90% of adults have antibodies, hopefully next week or 2 cases will come down as well, as Victorian says hopefully a plateau is being reached.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Maybe most of those hospital presentations are them non-infectious,  over-sensitive PCR test positive returns...

Oh no,  hang on...

I love your snidey, "hide behind the hedge and throw snowballs" posting style.

I guess it's a lot easier than learning how to challenge evidence that counters the conclusions you have reached in advance. 

The Mighty Thor

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Thought they vaccinations were working ? 

They clearly are.

If not with 6-7000 cases per day hospitalisation would be off the charts.

34 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, "saved". You've learned about  past participles and inverted commas in the same post. Every day's a school day, Smithee👍

Yes, and ":laugh2:" means I do get it, but I'm laughing at your continued dumb.

Every day's a school day when you keep getting held back a year, Enzo 👍

37 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I love your snidey, "hide behind the hedge and throw snowballs" posting style.

I guess it's a lot easier than learning how to challenge evidence that counters the conclusions you have reached in advance. 

1.  You do the same thing yourself sometimes.

2.  You haven't provided any evidence to be challenged.

Would that be you confusing what sounds good in your own head with evidence?  

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Watching the debate from the house of commons, nobody on the Tory benches are wearing masks and the labour benches are al masked up.

Who said this isn't political :lol:

They are as bad as old firm fans.  

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

😄  not laughing at Enzo, but that line is very good. 

2 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Question re hospitalisation figures.  A mate of mine was admitted on Friday with blood clots on lungs but treated and let out on Saturday evening.  They've been struggling since getting Covid about 3 weeks ago.

Are those overnight stays included in the figures or is it the number of people who are currently occupying a bed?

As far as I know, it is bed occupancy.

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Cheers. First person I've known of to go in to hospital for such a short length of time (Covid related, others have been in for weeks) and wondered if there was a limit such as had to have been in for 48 hours or something to be counted in the figures.

My neighbour, with more underlying conditions than you can shake a stick at, was taken into hospital with Covid and released back home 3 days later, despite his breathing not being great. I think they may be prioritising to try and keep space available in the knowledge that there are a tide of patients to come in the following days/weeks (my conjecture).

49 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You were laughing at your own word. You mentioned "saved" lives then laughed when I quoted you.

Just didn't,  doesn't and won't make much sense.

31 minutes ago, redjambo said:

My neighbour, with more underlying conditions than you can shake a stick at, was taken into hospital with Covid and released back home 3 days later, despite his breathing not being great. I think they may be prioritising to try and keep space available in the knowledge that there are a tide of patients to come in the following days/weeks (my conjecture).

I’m sure the hospital wouldn’t discharge someone if they felt they felt their health was still at risk . That’s a bit of a jump your making linking it them “ keep space available “ for possible future admissions 

. Although you had said it is in your conjecture . I would say they are being sensible with bedding . Prioritising as they always should 

7 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

You can get a recovery certificate I believe don’t know the ins and outs of it but I seen reference to it when I booked travel recently. 

Take care of yourself👍

There is no ‘recovery certificate’ you can get in Scotland. Only in England (for the moment)

57 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You were laughing at your own word. You mentioned "saved" lives then laughed when I quoted you.

Just didn't,  doesn't and won't make much sense.

R8qFpaD.gif

7 hours ago, Deke Thornton said:

Got Covid despite being double vaccinated. Would like to take a break in the sun to aid recovery but hearing that people can still test positive weeks/months after recovering from Covid even though they’re no longer infectious. So how do our travel rules take account of this?

Keep testing at home. When you go 3 consecutive days with negatives on lateral flow, go for another PCR. Usually you’ll be negative at 10-12 days after your positive PCR. Not always of course but 10-12 days is the norm.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m sure the hospital wouldn’t discharge someone if they felt they felt their health was still at risk . That’s a bit of a jump your making linking it them “ keep space available “ for possible future admissions 

. Although you had said it is in your conjecture . I would say they are being sensible with bedding . Prioritising as they always should 

Posts the guy that has been whinging on for 18 months about hospitals abandoning cancer patients. Incredible. 

8 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Posts the guy that has been whinging on for 18 months about hospitals abandoning cancer patients. Incredible. 

I’m very proud that I have been “ whinging “ on about hospitals in regard to this issue . It’s Worth the whinge . Tragic that you think it isn’t . What a harsh person.  Savage my name and nature it seems . 

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m very proud that I have been “ whinging “ on about hospitals in regard to this issue . It’s Worth the whinge . Tragic that you think it isn’t . What a harsh person.  Savage my name and nature it seems . 

Your brain is tragic. 

8 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Maybe most of those hospital presentations are them non-infectious,  over-sensitive PCR test positive returns...

Oh no,  hang on...

pcr tests are more reliable with cases with a genuine viral load - so while it might not have been the point you were humorously trying to make those in hospital will likely have a much more reliable pcr result than those who aren’t actually very ill / were infectious ages ago / never been infectious

6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

pcr tests are more reliable with cases with a genuine viral load - so while it might not have been the point you were humorously trying to make those in hospital will likely have a much more reliable pcr result than those who aren’t actually very ill / were infectious ages ago / never been infectious

I know about these things but the actual point I was making was that,  amidst the smokescreen of covid denial / deflction practiced by one or more usual suspect,  there are undeniable and verifiable positive cases adding to a steadily rising number of people requiring hospital treatment.  So while someone ponces around with tales about not-fit-for-purpose,  over sensitive tests,  there's something tangible happening in the real world.  An increasing number of people adding to the workload of the NHS.  Where's it heading?  Hard to say.  

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Keep testing at home. When you go 3 consecutive days with negatives on lateral flow, go for another PCR. Usually you’ll be negative at 10-12 days after your positive PCR. Not always of course but 10-12 days is the norm.

Me and the wife tested positive three weeks ago minimal issues when test and trace called us she said that you can still have the virus show up for 90 days although the virus is dead so was told not to bother testing unless we were to develop new covid symptoms 

I know about these things but the actual point I was making was that,  amidst the smokescreen of covid denial / deflction practiced by one or more usual suspect,  there are undeniable and verifiable positive cases adding to a steadily rising number of people requiring hospital treatment.  So while someone ponces around with tales about not-fit-for-purpose,  over sensitive tests,  there's something tangible happening in the real world.  An increasing number of people adding to the workload of the NHS.  Where's it heading?  Hard to say.  

Guarenteed to mutate .

Whether this virus becomes less dangerous in its effects is the only question.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

when “the dentist” in the past was pressed on where the virus was spreading pubs, supermarkets etc he used to say something along the lines of ‘the virus spreads when people mix together’

i think we all have an idea that within that high-level statement some ares will be riskier than others eg hospitals, indoors etc but the high-level statement still stands so vaccine or no vaccine absolutely no-one should be surprised (not saying you are) that case numbers are up (genuine and not so genuine) and with the vaccine not being bullet-proof that will lead into hospitalisations etc

like you say how far down this path it’s heading is hard to say - I’m not massively optimistic at the moment :(

59 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Me and the wife tested positive three weeks ago minimal issues when test and trace called us she said that you can still have the virus show up for 90 days although the virus is dead so was told not to bother testing unless we were to develop new covid symptoms 

Yes but from a travelling abroad angle if you give a positive test before you fly back, you ain’t flying back.

Edited by JimmyCant

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s being reported that England are preparing contingency plans for October, to stem the increasing hospital cases. Rumoured face masks will come back in and a fire break being considered. 

:interehjrling:

I've read here numerous times that it's over and cases are under control wibble and antibodies wibble.

Definitely Sturgeon oot.

Seymour M Hersh
23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s being reported that England are preparing contingency plans for October, to stem the increasing hospital cases. Rumoured face masks will come back in and a fire break being considered. 

I dare say SAGE meetings must be similar to the Monty Python 4 Yorkshiremen sketch where they'll all be trying to outdo each other on their predictions of doom. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Mad Adolfa will just copy Boris and do it too and do it differently at the same time to be different 'cos we get and follow the same SAGE committee advice.  Oh wait... 

34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

If it's based on modelling then we will face the same predictions of doom until the scientists realise that we are simply going to live with this.

Whatever happened to the 200k daily cases that should have appeared weeks ago??

Hospitals may well be "under pressure" with patients in winter but, tbh, is that not their purpose?

I think we're well past the point where there will be any public buy in to lockdowns,  firebreaks, circuit breaks, call them what you will. It's a point of principle as much as anything and we have to just get on with it.

In the UK, hospital numbers are less than 20% of the peak numbers of 40k+, a point at which they weren't "overwhelmed " and the Nightingales were virtually empty. 

The susceptible cohort are being reduced by approx 200k each day through infection and vaccination so we must be approaching,  and England may even be at, the sweet spot of endemic equilibrium. 

A - "Look, look, look the Fish is bringing back restrictions!"

B- "Its sensible to have contingency plans" 

B - "Look, look, look Boris is bringing back restrictions!" 

spider-man.gif

36 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If it's based on modelling then we will face the same predictions of doom until the scientists realise that we are simply going to live with this.

Whatever happened to the 200k daily cases that should have appeared weeks ago??

Hospitals may well be "under pressure" with patients in winter but, tbh, is that not their purpose?

I think we're well past the point where there will be any public buy in to lockdowns,  firebreaks, circuit breaks, call them what you will. It's a point of principle as much as anything and we have to just get on with it.

In the UK, hospital numbers are less than 20% of the peak numbers of 40k+, a point at which they weren't "overwhelmed " and the Nightingales were virtually empty. 

The susceptible cohort are being reduced by approx 200k each day through infection and vaccination so we must be approaching,  and England may even be at, the sweet spot of endemic equilibrium. 

They're utterly filled with excrement.

"We need to live with the virus but we don't know what that looks like but we will almost certainly see 100k cases per day"

...40,000 cases per day occurs...

"We need a fire break"

What happened to living with it?

49 minutes ago, Taffin said:

"We need to live with the virus but we don't know what that looks like but we will almost certainly see 100k cases per day"

"We need a fire break"

Yes, completely agree. A good start would be the cessation of reporting daily stats that, 16 months ago, people looked out for,  with trepidation.  Now, most folk scratch their head and think who tf is still catching it? 

Completely irrelevant stats. 

The Real Maroonblood
59 minutes ago, Taffin said:

A - "Look, look, look the Fish is bringing back restrictions!"

B- "Its sensible to have contingency plans" 

B - "Look, look, look Boris is bringing back restrictions!" 

spider-man.gif

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, completely agree. A good start would be the cessation of reporting daily stats that, 16 months ago, people looked out for,  with trepidation.  Now, most folk scratch their head and think who tf is still catching it? 

Completely irrelevant stats. 

You know Enzo, you do an awful lot of speaking for how people think, how most folk react.

Maybe try speaking for just yourself bud.

Statistic fascism now.  Projecting one's own disinterest on to others.  

One should use critical thinking powers,  perform one's own risk assessment,  exercise one's own personal choice and either look at or ignore the daily stats.

Amirite?

Fxxx the SPFL
9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Yes but from a travelling abroad angle if you give a positive test before you fly back, you ain’t flying back.

just seems very strange JC won't be going abroad until may next year anyhow delayed ruby wedding anniversary jaunt to USA hopefully things will be okay by then. 

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You know Enzo, you do an awful lot of speaking for how people think, how most folk react.

Maybe try speaking for just yourself bud.

Don't worry, your sort are not included in my analytical anecdotal assessments. 

Your outlier status, along with one or two other pretendy epidemiologists on here, is not at risk.👍

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Statistic fascism now.  Projecting one's own disinterest on to others.  

One should use critical thinking powers,  perform one's own risk assessment,  exercise one's own personal choice and either look at or ignore the daily stats.

Amirite?

Should really be statisticAL fascism but let's not get pernickety. 

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Don't worry, your sort are not included in my analytical anecdotal assessments. 

Your outlier status, along with one or two other pretendy epidemiologists on here, is not at risk.👍

Yes, please don't include me in your shite. 👍

Maybe the virus will behave like the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal from The Hitckhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and think that it can no longer see us if we can't see it.

23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I remember an Eddie Izzard bit where he was talking about how there are different classes of murder, but over a certain number the human brain just can't comprehend and just kind of shuts down or dismisses it. Something like: You killed 100 people? You must get up very early in the morning! Feels quite similar here. 

Perhaps a weekly 'infections are up/down' would have been enough for general public consumption. 

Yes but I suppose to “ keep the fear “ going it has to be constant , as in daily , to have any chance of achieving its goal . Keep the public on their toes I suppose . No place for complacency or even worse letting their guard down. 😎 However there is an assumption that most people read the daily stats ! Maybe they actually don’t ? Yes it’s an obsession on this but maybe in the real World not so much . 

Our Skyline restaurant is having to close from Thursday to Sunday this week due to staff shortages.

Too many staff isolating, resulting in bookings being cancelled or rearranged.

Fxxx the SPFL
3 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Our Skyline restaurant is having to close from Thursday to Sunday this week due to staff shortages.

Too many staff isolating, resulting in bookings being cancelled or rearranged.

ooft a lot of lost revenue for the Derby match you'd think they could hire in agency staff

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

"We need a fire break"

We will live with it. The contingency plan leaks are the continual comfort blankets for the poor souls and shop assistants that need it to get through the day. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic