Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

You're either deliberately misrepresenting his point or you're thick as a Welshman's cock and don't understand.

Either way, a well earned facepalm.

Appeal dismissed.

:lol:

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh yes they are . I read a great story about Helen Mirren . She was on her first day of filming on an American set and walked on to the set and exclaimed “ Good morning ^^^^s” ( As in the endearment way ) apparently there was a stoner silence 😂

She was one sexy woman in her day. She was sexy in The Long Good Friday and saw her recently in an old Parkinson interview and alluring to say the least. Very good actress.

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

You're either deliberately misrepresenting his point or you're thick as a Welshman's cock and don't understand.

Either way, a well earned facepalm.

Appeal dismissed.

I genuinely thought this discussion had been slam dunked. 

But, OK, so Thor claimed that James was throwing the SG strategy off course by not wearing a silly bit of cloth on his face in a demi-outdoor shopping centre. I agree, to the extent, that SG control measures and infection control are separate entities.

However, Old Vic went on to deploy his semantics card, as is his wont, and tried to row back on what Thor had said.

You, meanwhile,  jumped in, Megan Markle style, with your own version of the truth and tried to implicate me.

Laughable stuff but, anyhow, not unusual for this Board.

Don't worry about appeals pal, I'm intellectually immune from any charges you, or your tag team bring. 👍

23 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

She was one sexy woman in her day. She was sexy in The Long Good Friday and saw her recently in an old Parkinson interview and alluring to say the least. Very good actress.

She still is ! 

52 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But, OK, so Thor claimed that James was throwing the SG strategy off course by not wearing a silly bit of cloth on his face in a demi-outdoor shopping centre. I agree, to the extent, that SG control measures and infection control are separate entities.

However, Old Vic went on to deploy his semantics card, as is his wont, and tried to row back on what Thor had said.

You, meanwhile,  jumped in, Megan Markle style, with your own version of the truth and tried to implicate me.

Don't worry about appeals pal, I'm intellectually immune from any charges you, or your tag team bring. 👍

Welshman's cock it is

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I've VARd this and can confirm that you're still waiting on your maiden 'slam dunk'.

😎

36 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I've VARd this and can confirm that you're still waiting on your maiden 'slam dunk'.

😎

Haha. Didn't think we'd hear from you again, after the ridiculous claims you made earlier.🤣.

Boom!  Another slam dunk! Join Smithee on the canvas🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There's nothing like starting a Saturday morning by mixing your sporting metaphors. :)

Haha. Didn't think we'd hear from you again, after the ridiculous claims you made earlier.🤣.

Am I still rolling about laughing at you? Jeez you'd think I'd get some sleep

I’m not entirely sure what happened to the thread, it’s gone all surreal.

anyway, it appears that whatever Scotland is doing is much worse than England .

Though it may be the early return of schools, I’m not so sure.

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

"Intellectually immune"

:vrface:

This new phrase is deliciously and remarkably suitable.  But perhaps not as he intended.

I'd say it was effective. Exactly as intended.

16 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I’m not entirely sure what happened to the thread, it’s gone all surreal.

anyway, it appears that whatever Scotland is doing is much worse than England .

Though it may be the early return of schools, I’m not so sure.

Yes it's by no means easy to tell.  I reckon the earlier return of schools was the main contributory factor in the Scottish numbers rising higher and that England's will follow a similar path.  The numbers in Scotland don't appear to rising in an uncontrolled way and instead are stubbornly hovering at a sustained level.  Maybe creeping up.  I think it looks unlikely that the numbers can be suppressed to a significantly lower level.  Universities starting and then seasonality will probably inject more transmission into the equation.  We'll just have to live with it.  Get on with it.

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ah we all get stuff wrong, don't worry about it

I'm not wrong, and I'm not worried.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

"Intellectually immune"

:vrface:

This new phrase is deliciously and remarkably suitable.  But perhaps not as he intended.

"Deliciously".  Aahh, the Victorian vernacular is a weird and wonderful thing.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd say it was effective. Exactly as intended.

You're a good judge of character, Guv. You can spot a charlatan at 100 paces👍

Just when it looked like the vaccine passport thread was cementing its position as the go-to thread for petty and irrelevant arguments, this thread hits back with a couple of pages of "I know you are, but what am I?" 

There's life in the old dog yet! 

:jj:

13 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

5 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

0E6EA069-3296-404A-9703-8F06454EA372.gif

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Beni said:

Just when it looked like the vaccine passport thread was cementing its position as the go-to thread for petty and irrelevant arguments, this thread hits back with a couple of pages of "I know you are, but what am I?" 

There's life in the old dog yet! 

:jj:

:lol:

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ridiculous claims? 

If you're suggesting your risible nonsense about pieces of cloth wibble then I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. 

You've been on the wrong side of science and common sense since the get go. 

Scottish numbers: 11 September 2021

Summary

• 4,298 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-2,517; down from 6,152 a week ago] :)
  • 42,529 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [-22,654]
    • 10.9% of these were positive [-0.2%]
  • 10 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-12]
  • 83 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+1]
  • 985 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+8]
  • 4,137,710 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,769,320 have received their second dose [+2,381; +6,953]

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Ridiculous claims? 

If you're suggesting your risible nonsense about pieces of cloth wibble then I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. 

You've been on the wrong side of science and common sense since the get go. 

My point was that you overplayed the effect that mask wearing has, by claiming that an individual not wearing one risked undermining the entire govt strategy.

The "one for all", collective, "help each other out" strategy was flawed from the start. 30 or 40 years ago, maybe but nowadays, no chance. Too many people don't think like that.

If the Govt had thought that mask wearing was genuinely effective then enforcement was the answer, not molly coddling and daily appeals to people's "better nature". No mask, no entry.  On the spot fines etc.

They didn't want enforcement, which suggests it was more about people, rather than infection, control.

The Mighty Thor

My point was that you overplayed the effect that mask wearing has, by claiming that an individual not wearing one risked undermining the entire govt strategy.

The "one for all", collective, "help each other out" strategy was flawed from the start. 30 or 40 years ago, maybe but nowadays, no chance. Too many people don't think like that.

If the Govt had thought that mask wearing was genuinely effective then enforcement was the answer, not molly coddling and daily appeals to people's "better nature". No mask, no entry.  On the spot fines etc.

They didn't want enforcement, which suggests it was more about people, rather than infection, control.

Nobody overplayed the effect of the face covering and the rest of your 'slam dunk' proves the point beautifully. 

The one for all strategy falls apart not because its a poor strategy, it falls apart due to selfish twats thinking that they're above the rules or guidance. This is the point you jump in with your critical thinking schtick and say that you're able to make your own judgement, which naturally is better informed than the scientists, epidemiologists and public health experts. 

It was always about striking a balance of information and fear to achieve a critical compliance level to allow for the selfish that's who were never going to comply anyway. If they'd pursued an enforcement strategy it would have alienated more people. So it's about informing people to achieve infection control. 

Nucky Thompson
30 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Nobody overplayed the effect of the face covering and the rest of your 'slam dunk' proves the point beautifully. 

The one for all strategy falls apart not because its a poor strategy, it falls apart due to selfish twats thinking that they're above the rules or guidance. This is the point you jump in with your critical thinking schtick and say that you're able to make your own judgement, which naturally is better informed than the scientists, epidemiologists and public health experts. 

It was always about striking a balance of information and fear to achieve a critical compliance level to allow for the selfish that's who were never going to comply anyway. If they'd pursued an enforcement strategy it would have alienated more people. So it's about informing people to achieve infection control. 

When the guidance is different in Scotland and England, people will just say feck it, I'm not being a pawn in political games.

I'm in England at the weekends and there is no mask wearing in hospitality at all. 

34 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Masks have not been mandated in England for weeks now, with little or no increase of note in case numbers. Perhaps,population wide control measures are not as effective as previously thought.

The Govt strategy you describe, nay advocate, is effectively population manipulation. A dangerous path to tread imo.

Frightening, hectoring, mollycoddling ,coaxing and nudging the entire country is more likely to alienate than enforcement. 

A dangerous road to go down imo.

Introducing, robust, targetted measures, especially in settings like hospitals and care homes, and, crucially, enforcing them, would have been far more effective.

Trying to create a "look out for each other" culture in an entitled , "me, me", "i want it now" modern society strikes me as being an attempt to change people's behaviour long term than infection control.

Hectoring society about face coverings and hand washing while , simultaneously,  decanting Covid positive patients into care homes full of vulnerable people, really was staggeringly incompetent .

29 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Masks have not been mandated in England for weeks now, with little or no increase of note in case numbers. Perhaps,population wide control measures are not as effective as previously thought.

The Govt strategy you describe, nay advocate, is effectively population manipulation. A dangerous path to tread imo.

Frightening, hectoring, mollycoddling ,coaxing and nudging the entire country is more likely to alienate than enforcement. 

Introducing, robust, targetted measures, especially in settings like hospitals and care homes, and, crucially, enforcing them, would have been far more effective.

Trying to create a "look out for each other" culture in an entitled , "me, me", "i want it now" modern society strikes me as being an attempt to change people's behaviour long term than infection control.

Hectoring society about face coverings and hand washing while , simultaneously,  decanting Covid positive patients into care homes full of vulnerable people, really was staggeringly incompetent .

👍

Forget this. There's a big error somewhere.

Edited by redjambo

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The local authority data is still not available, so at least here's the other trend data:

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     10 Sep 9 Sep 8 Sep 7 Sep 6 Sep ... 1 Sep
Tests     54130 55345 -1215   54395 53496 53518 53142 49869 ... 45041
Cases     6126 6391 -265   6376 6314 6365 6414 5960 ... 5668
Positivity rate %     12.1 12.3 -0.2   12.5 12.6 12.7 12.9 12.7 ... 13.3
Deaths     11.0 11.1 -0.1   9.4 10.1 9.0 7.7 7.7 ... 5.4

All Vaccinations     10370 10587 -217   11496 11576 12093 13042 13162 ... 16353
1st Dose     3010 3040 -30   3228 3220 3227 3225 2950 ... 2979
2nd Dose     7360 7547 -187   8268 8356 8866 9817 10212 ... 13374

All in hospital     867 822 +45   776 732 696 665 633 ... 490
Non-ICU     789 748 +41   705 666 633 605 576 ... 441
ICU     78 74 +4   71 66 63 60 57 ... 49

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

Damn, can you delete that post please, TRM. :)  I seem to have screwed up the dates something proper.

The Mighty Thor

I can't comment on what's going on in England but masks are still mandated in certain settings where I live in Scotland and in other settings the rules were relaxed a good few weeks back, with the government advocating people to exercise their judgement. I've attached the result over the last 12 weeks for you to peruse. Its pretty conclusive. 

Perhaps letting the critical thinkers decide for themselves is not as smart an idea as previously thought?

You constantly refer to controlling the hospital/care environment. I agree it was a big error, a really glaring one, but in real terms an irrelevance in the context of day to day community transmission. 

Sorry to break it to you but governments and organisations nudge and manipulate the population every day of our lives. The phone in your hand is the biggest tool in their toolbox. 

Cases by Specimen Date.jpeg

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Damn, can you delete that post please, TRM. :) I seem to have screwed up the dates something proper.

It's still showing up in your quote.

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I can't comment on what's going on in England but masks are still mandated in certain settings where I live in Scotland and in other settings the rules were relaxed a good few weeks back, with the government advocating people to exercise their judgement. I've attached the result over the last 12 weeks for you to peruse. Its pretty conclusive. 

Perhaps letting the critical thinkers decide for themselves is not as smart an idea as previously thought?

You constantly refer to controlling the hospital/care environment. I agree it was a big error, a really glaring one, but in real terms an irrelevance in the context of day to day community transmission. 

Sorry to break it to you but governments and organisations nudge and manipulate the population every day of our lives. The phone in your hand is the biggest tool in their toolbox. 

Cases by Specimen Date.jpeg

And how does that graph correlate to mask wearing, Thor? 

To be honest, the fact that you are posting non-contextualised graphs following the imposition or relaxation of govt diktats, illustrates how far down that dangerous road we have travelled. 

I agree re phones, which is why I point blank refused to download any NHS tracking app and now, very rarely "check in" to any venue, if at all avoidable. 

:D The data has been fine but the dates at the top have been awry since the start of the month when I decided that 1 September came after 30 August. Well done me. Thank goodness no-one reads my stats any more anyway except for Enzo.

Here are the proper stats for today:

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     9 Sep 8 Sep 7 Sep 6 Sep 5 Sep ... 1 Sep
Tests     54130 55345 -1215   54395 53496 53518 53142 49869 ... 46368
Cases     6126 6391 -265   6376 6314 6365 6414 5960 ... 5832
Deaths     11.0 11.1 -0.1   9.4 10.1 9.0 7.7 7.7 ... 6.0

All Vaccinations     10370 10587 -217   11496 11576 12093 13042 13162 ... 15364
1st Dose     3010 3040 -30   3228 3220 3227 3225 2950 ... 2844
2nd Dose     7360 7547 -187   8268 8356 8866 9817 10212 ... 12520

All in hospital     867 822 +45   776 732 696 665 633 ... 524
Non-ICU     789 748 +41   705 666 633 605 576 ... 473
ICU     78 74 +4   71 66 63 60 57 ... 51
Edited by redjambo

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

:D The data has been fine but the dates at the top have been awry since the start of the month when I decided that 1 September came after 30 August. Well done me. Thank goodness no-one reads my stats any more anyway except for Enzo.

👍

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

👍. TRM is still in the pub.

Stop Press. **** he beat me to it.

13 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

To be honest, the fact that you are posting non-contextualised graphs following the imposition or relaxation of govt diktats, illustrates how far down that dangerous road we have travelled. 

I agree re phones, which is why I point blank refused to download any NHS tracking app and now, very rarely "check in" to any venue, if at all avoidable. 

Cant remember the last time I checked it to any venue . Got rid of track and  trace a long time ago too. 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Allow me to help you out. 

Masks have not been mandated in England for weeks now, with little or no increase of note in case numbers. 

The graph posted is what has happened to case numbers in Scotland, not England, since the relaxation of the mask rules, which have not been relaxed to the same extent as England .

s-l300.jpg

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Cant remember the last time I checked it to any venue . Got rid of track and  trace a long time ago too. 

👍smart move, James

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Allow me to help you out. 

The graph posted is what has happened to case numbers in Scotland, not England, since the relaxation of the mask rules, which have not been relaxed to the same extent as England .

s-l300.jpg

I'm confused, Thor. What mask wearing relaxations have come in to place in Scotland???

In England, apart from the posturing,  opposition pygmies in the House of Commons, nobody wears masks. Case numbers have not shifted.

In Scotland,  they are still mandatory, yet cases have increased?

Don't tell me the mask wearing myrh has been busted.🤣

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic