Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

HartleyLegend3
3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Er, that sounds bang-on for Covid and not Norovirus. 

Yeah, didn't read the post properly. My bad.. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A good point well made Governor ☹

When the UK & Scottish governments reintroduce restrictions in the late autumn I think the tin foil hatters and associated anti maskers could push on to even higher levels of fuddery. 

I always tip my titfer to those that strive for excellence. 

So u don’t think an alternative strategy might be order of the day if things go pear shaped ? Groundhog Day yet again. ? Despite the long term damage lockdowns have / will have ? Interesting 

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So u don’t think an alternative strategy might be order of the day if things go pear shaped ? Groundhog Day yet again. ? Despite the long term damage lockdowns have / will have ? Interesting 

There is an alternative strategy in place right now. Other than face mask wearing (which you have said you follow if it suits you) there's no restrictions on your day to day life. We're 'letting it rip', everything's open, which is what you've advocated for ages.

We'll see what the outcome is.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

There is an alternative strategy in place right now. Other than face mask wearing (which you have said you follow if it suits you) there's no restrictions on your day to day life. We're 'letting it rip', everything's open, which is what you've advocated for ages.

We'll see what the outcome is.

Not when it “ suits “ me I follow it when it makes sense . It makes zero sense to me to wear one in large outdoor spaces or even large indoor spaces . I wear them on buses and if necessary in smaller shops and in bars when entering them or moving about . Nice try though ! Yes we shall what the outcome is in due course problem is you won’t even advocate the chance to try this Strategy it seems . Yes everything should be open as the most vulnerable and elderly have been vaccinated . We were we told this was the way out of it . It is . 

Edited by JamesM48

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not when it “ suits “ me I follow it when it makes sense . It makes zero sense to me to wear one in large outdoor spaces or even large indoor spaces . I wear them on buses and if necessary in smaller shops and in bars when entering them or moving about . Nice try though ! Yes we shall what the outcome is in due course problem is you won’t even advocate the chance to try this Strategy it seems . Yes everything should be open as the most vulnerable and elderly have been vaccinated . We were we told this was the way out of it . It is . 

So not when it suits you but only when you think its right so when it suits you then 🤔

The current 'stratgey' of do whatever you want, under the guise of personal responsibility won't end well IMO.

Good thing is it should reduce the amount of utter shite getting posted by people who have pissed and moaned since day 1 about the restriction of their liberty. 

It's all in their hands and on their own heads now. No more 'nanny state'. 

4 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

16 months to lose some weight but remember it's up to you to look after this porker.

20210718_122334.jpg

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

A bit of an uncouth way to go about it...but given overweight people also spread it more he's got a bit of a brass neck to be virtue signalling.

No problem whatsoever with the conferred protective nature of mass vaccinations and mask wearing helping larger folk. There are myriad reasons for people being over-weight or under-weight and also there will be people bang-on their recommended weight who have invisible conditions. With vaccines we can help ourselves and others - which is surely the right thing to do.

It's interesting that this concept of fat-shaming appears to be the new line being pushed - after the "well they were old, gonna die anyway" Logan's Run style health-facism, which was all the rage on this thread, was rightly condemned. The single largest risk was indeed age - so that was attacked and those people written off as expendable. Next largest risk is, imagine my surprise, its obesity. So now that's getting attacked. Can they not see that they are being played here as the blame is being shifted to the next at risk group?

I mean let's predict who's next in the Covid-19 wheel of blame:

Hypertension - I mean, probably down to too much salt in their food, what do you mean modern food is full of it? Well they should live on raw cucumber and lettuce, then.
Diabetics - well, costing the NHS too much, probably brought it on themselves with too much cake, amiright? 
Asthmatics? Have you seen the carbon footprint caused by the greenhouse gases required in their inhalers? Why should we protect them from choking if it chokes the planet. 

Hyperbole? Nope, all real sentiments discussed in many articles and right-wing hit-pieces:

https://themighty.com/2019/10/asthma-carbon-footprint-climate-change/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/emotions/diabetes-and-blame.html
https://www.hindustantimes.com/health-and-fitness/here-s-why-your-bp-is-so-high-blame-it-on-your-selfish-brain/story-MZhgzNx5ArACeziMrMTnbJ.html

Stop with the health-shaming, it's pathetic. 

Edited by Gizmo

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

If you're concerned how others perceive you then don't attempt to take the moral high ground over others.

That's the part I agree with for sure. I'm not defending the guy in the picture, I agree with your sentiment just you don't need to resort to name calling to make it 👍

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So not when it suits you but only when you think its right so when it suits you then 🤔

The current 'stratgey' of do whatever you want, under the guise of personal responsibility won't end well IMO.

Good thing is it should reduce the amount of utter shite getting posted by people who have pissed and moaned since day 1 about the restriction of their liberty. 

Exactly even Nicola would agree with that now it seems 👍

14 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

No problem whatsoever with the conferred protective nature of mass vaccinations and mask wearing helping larger folk. There are myriad reasons for people being over-weight or under-weight and also there will be people bang-on their recommended weight who have invisible conditions. With vaccines we can help ourselves and others - which is surely the right thing to do.

It's interesting that this concept of fat-shaming appears to be the new line being pushed - after the "well they were old, gonna die anyway" Logan's Run style health-facism, which was all the rage on this thread, was rightly condemned. The single largest risk was indeed age - so that was attacked and those people written off as expendable. Next largest risk is, imagine my surprise, its obesity. So now that's getting attacked. Can they not see that they are being played here as the blame is being shifted to the next at risk group?

Hypertension - I mean, probably down to too much salt in their food, what do you mean modern food is full of it? Well they should live on raw cucumber and lettuce, then.
Diabetics - well, costing the NHS too much, probably brought it on themselves with too much cake, amiright? 
Asthmatics? Have you seen the carbon footprint caused by the greenhouse gases required in their inhalers? Why should we protect them from choking if it chokes the planet. 

Hyperbole? Nope, all real sentiments discussed in many articles and right-wing hit-pieces:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/health-and-fitness/here-s-why-your-bp-is-so-high-blame-it-on-your-selfish-brain/story-MZhgzNx5ArACeziMrMTnbJ.html

Modern food isn't full of salt.

Remember, overweight people not only are increasing their own risk but also the risk for others.

I thought 'super spreaders' were dead in the cross hairs of the holier than thou brigade?

24 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Well said. People who health shame are very similar to people who don't get BLM. Only have an understanding from their own personal perspective and are so narrow minded can't understand why someone can't just change to suit them. 

Governor Tarkin
46 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Tenner says the Jews.

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Tenner says the Jews.

:greatpost:

16 minutes ago, connlach said:

Well said. People who health shame are very similar to people who don't get BLM. Only have an understanding from their own personal perspective and are so narrow minded can't understand why someone can't just change to suit them. 

There's a difference between health shaming and calling people out for not taking measures within their powers to help themselves and others whilst at the same time posing with little signs taking unsubtle pops at others.

Of course there are some with underlying health issues, be it mental or physical that contribute to them being over weight. They deserve support and help with that (covid or no covid).

The overwhelming majority of people who are overweight simply need to eat less and move move...as per the NHS website (listen to the experts is the mantra right?)

In a year where a myriad of quite imposing restrictions have often been (correctly in most cases imo) justified along the lines of 'its not much to ask to save lives?', is it too much to ask people to help themselves and others by losing a bit of weight when for the vast majority it would simply equate to eating a bit less each day? I don't think it is.

Would I ever personally call someone out to do that? Absolutely not, as it's none of my business, but if you're in the business of sticking your neb into what other people are up to then I can see why that demographic would crop up.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
52 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

do you recognise that comments about this guys very obvious obesity is in response to his attempt to shame others ?

if he is obesity exempt then fair enough just like many are mask exempt

either way some recognition from the guy would be useful that his obesity (whether his ‘fault’ or not) makes him a heightened covid risk to himself and more importantly to others not to mention the extra strain obese people put on the nhs particularly during the pandemic 

Maybe the guy covered all these points (and more) in his tweet or whatever it was and they’ve just not been copied over to here - in which case that would be a much more rounded message he’s trying to get across than it appears without his additional points (if they exist)

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

.but given overweight people also spread it more he's got a bit of a brass neck to be virtue signalling.

its just right-wing (and selfish) overweight people who spread it more - gammons and that 👍

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer
include the “selfish” too - glaring omission

JudyJudyJudy
36 minutes ago, connlach said:

That’s a bit of a stereotype really 👀

I presume those pointing the finger at fat people the last few pages have data on the BMI of those who are currently in hospital and ICU?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 minutes ago, kila said:

I presume those pointing the finger at fat people the last few pages have data on the BMI of those who are currently in hospital and ICU?

the data’s out there mate - one of the more conclusive risks in the more general case

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Finger pointing is divisive. In the same way some people have great reasons not to wear masks and some have just been selfish...some have great reason to be overweight (and very much should be supported!), others are just being selfish.

It's not exactly the answer to your question, but it's probably the best you get tbh:

'Studies in the United States have shown that having a BMI over 30—the threshold that defines obesity—increases the risk of being admitted to hospital with covid-19 by 113%, of being admitted to intensive care by 74%, and of dying by 48%. Public Health England reported similar numbers for mortality, with the risk of death from covid-19 increasing by 90% in people with a BMI over 40.1'

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n411

It's become a bit of a basic discussion on this thread as the person who started it today did it in a demeaning way (which undermined his point imo). I'm not in support of taking that approach in anyway at all and it doesn't help the discourse on what is (looking at the link above) a very useful way to get us out of this mess. Reduce obesity and we reduce hospitalisations and deaths. Fact. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Six team GB athletes & two members of staff are having to self-isolate after someone on the plane and not connected to team GB tested positive for Covid.  

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, kila said:

Correct.

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

the data’s out there mate - one of the more conclusive risks in the more general case

Aye the data that is out there is pre-vaccine though?

Maybe there is more average BMI in hospital this wave because they don't think they need the vaccine? I am curious though, it could and probably is still mostly overweight people.

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There's a difference between health shaming and calling people out for not taking measures within their powers to help themselves and others whilst at the same time posing with little signs taking unsubtle pops at others.

Of course there are some with underlying health issues, be it mental or physical that contribute to them being over weight. They deserve support and help with that (covid or no covid).

The overwhelming majority of people who are overweight simply need to eat less and move move...as per the NHS website (listen to the experts is the mantra right?)

In a year where a myriad of quite imposing restrictions have often been (correctly in most cases imo) justified along the lines of 'its not much to ask to save lives?', is it too much to ask people to help themselves and others by losing a bit of weight when for the vast majority it would simply equate to eating a bit less each day? I don't think it is.

Would I ever personally call someone out to do that? Absolutely not, as it's none of my business, but if you're in the business of sticking your neb into what other people are up to then I can see why that demographic would crop up.

👍

8 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

👍

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Finger pointing is divisive. In the same way some people have great reasons not to wear masks and some have just been selfish...some have great reason to be overweight (and very much should be supported!), others are just being selfish.

It's not exactly the answer to your question, but it's probably the best you get tbh:

'Studies in the United States have shown that having a BMI over 30—the threshold that defines obesity—increases the risk of being admitted to hospital with covid-19 by 113%, of being admitted to intensive care by 74%, and of dying by 48%. Public Health England reported similar numbers for mortality, with the risk of death from covid-19 increasing by 90% in people with a BMI over 40.1'

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n411

It's become a bit of a basic discussion on this thread as the person who started it today did it in a demeaning way (which undermined his point imo). I'm not in support of taking that approach in anyway at all and it doesn't help the discourse on what is (looking at the link above) a very useful way to get us out of this mess. Reduce obesity and we reduce hospitalisations and deaths. Fact. 

👋

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
19 minutes ago, kila said:

Aye the data that is out there is pre-vaccine though?

Maybe there is more average BMI in hospital this wave because they don't think they need the vaccine? I am curious though, it could and probably is still mostly overweight people.

that’s a different risk you are describing there - it doesn’t change the obesity risk tho

Just now, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

that’s a different risk you are describing there - it doesn’t change the obesity risk tho

The risk that matters in this thread is who ends up consuming NHS resources.

Of the 500 odd currently in hospital in Scotland, how many are overweight and how many have had the vaccine? If the fat shaming is to continue, at least have the current data under the vaccine rollout. And as I said, it probably is still similar to pre-vaccine because as you say they are still at risk because of being obese but maybe the current wave there's more average BMI people who skipped the vaccine.

Governor Tarkin

Does the vaccine cure obesity too then?

And if so is it Pfizer, Astra death serum, or all of them?

Edited by Governor Tarkin

19 minutes ago, kila said:

Of the 500 odd currently in hospital in Scotland, how many are overweight and how many have had the vaccine? If the fat shaming is to continue, at least have the current data under the vaccine rollout. And as I said, it probably is still similar to pre-vaccine because as you say they are still at risk because of being obese but maybe the current wave there's more average BMI people who skipped the vaccine.

Sorry, I'm lost. I thought people were concerned with spread as well as personal outcome?

Based on what you've just said above, the young and healthy shouldn't have had any restrictions placed on them?

Also, the data you've been given has been true up until it was released, so really the onus is on you to provide the data to show it is no longer true.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
9 minutes ago, kila said:

the current data would not be anything like conclusive due to its sample size compared to what has gone before - even if it said what supported my case

people who consume nhs resources have a number of risks attached to them covid or otherwise - age being a very obvious one - all these risks have intricate affects in individual cases but can be quantified within confidence bounds in the general case

obesity is one of the more conclusive risks for covid (and without covid) if there are other competing risks like age then it doesn’t fundamentally change the underlying obesity risk

unless the vaccine has not only helped to protect against covid but actually improved the underlying health of obese people (often as much as the actual obesity it’s the ailments  which have subsequently occurred which are the combined issue) then the obesity risk still exists

just to clarify I’m not fat shaming (nor are at least one or two others posting here (imo)) i am responding to someone who appears to be mask shaming while displaying a very well-known and significant risk to themselves and others - I’ve also covered in a previous post that the guy may have addressed the points already but they haven’t been included in the copy/paste to here - if so he’s conveying a much more rounded message than it appears

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Does the vaccine cure obesity too then?

yes and the existing underlying health issues which have already occurred as a result of the obesity - I would have thought that would have been better publicised

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Few fatties raging on this thread.

Better watch out, all that weight and anger ain’t good for the auld ticker lads.

:lol:

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Nah, they'll still love having a moan at those e.g. who wear masks and step out of their path, despite that being *their* personal choice.

When it boils down to it, their attitude is "I want to do the hell what I want, and I want everyone else to do the hell what I want them too".

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

"I want to do the hell what I want, and I want everyone else to do the hell what I want them too".

:sweeet:

The dream...

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, kila said:

It's been pointed out many times before that obesity is one of the biggest risk factors in becoming seriously ill with Covid.  So, I think it's a safe bet that most of the younger folks in hospital will be overweight or obese.

Unfortunately,  we have created a culture in recent years where nobody is responsible for their own outcomes. We have to tip-toe round people's sensitivities for fear of offending. Just blame the "evil Tooary cutbacks" and you'll feel better.

Time for the Medics to say: "you're too heavy, eat less and exercise more". 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Few fatties raging on this thread.

Better watch out, all that weight and anger ain’t good for the auld ticker lads.

:sadrobbo:

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's been pointed out many times before that obesity is one of the biggest risk factors in becoming seriously ill.  

You could have ended your post as I have quoted it.  It's not just a covid issue.

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

You could have ended your post as I have quoted it.  It's not just a covid issue.

It's not but the second paragraph suggests what we should be doing to tackle the issue, having already identified it.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Nah, they'll still love having a moan at those e.g. who wear masks and step out of their path, despite that being *their* personal choice.

When it boils down to it, their attitude is "I want to do the hell what I want, and I want everyone else to do the hell what I want them too".

Especially the fat people. 

This is all fat people's fault now. Don't get me started on the virtue signalling fatties either. 

:muggy:

Nucky Thompson

Talking about fatties, I've ate half a kilo of pork scratchings this weekend to soak up all the bevvy I've drunk in the sunshine. Not had a proper meal since Thursday though, so saved a few calories there :greggy:

Konrad von Carstein

Seems there's a fair few bronzed Adonis' posting on the thread these days....Along with some pompus, loud mouthed attention seekers.

:greggy:

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've puffed a couple of fatties this evening too, tbf.

:scenes:

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Looking forward to taking my son swimming this week. First time in a pool since pre-covid. 

Enjoy :thumbsup: The simple things in life that people used to take for granted

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Seems there's a fair few bronzed Adonis' posting on the thread these days....Along with some pompus, loud mouthed attention seekers.

:greggy:

A couple of years in the gym and you too could kiss godbye to group two and join the cool kids in group one, Konrad. 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic