Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Shanks said no

Some good news

Edinburgh publicans have been notified today that they can stay open till 1130pm if games go to penalties. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been as guilty as anyone for the duration of this thread but chill out guys. Relax. In the real world aside from popping a mask on now and again it's very much a free for all. Shame for the businesses dying a death but for most to all intents and purposes, normal is back. Leave the counting and the worrying to the 'scientists' and enjoy your lives 👍

The last of it will be done in a few weeks time.

JudyJudyJudy
34 minutes ago, Boab said:

A wee reminder now and again that it is a thread on a football message board.

That’s all it is !

👍

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I've been as guilty as anyone for the duration of this thread but chill out guys. Relax. In the real world aside from popping a mask on now and again it's very much a free for all. Shame for the businesses dying a death but for most to all intents and purposes, normal is back. Leave the counting and the worrying to the 'scientists' and enjoy your lives 👍

The last of it will be done in a few weeks time.

6BFDA831-8721-4D23-A6BE-CC8DBAC034D8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Today's case count of 2969 is the highest ever recorded since the start of pandemic (previous record was 2649), albeit with record levels of testing.

The failure of the JCVI to provide a recommendation, as yet, to vaccinate under 18s leads to the inevitable conclusion that the virus will be left to its own devices in schools, effectively a herd immunity strategy by infection rather than by vaccination.

If that is now the policy, then schools have to be left open with no isolation measures for contacts of infected pupils.

I agree with this.  It looks like a policy to tolerate what will hopefully be a time limited,  uncontrolled epidemic within an epidemic.  Young people are known to have strong immune systems which is mostly why they are much less likely to experience acute illness.  The JCVI may well calculate that an infection derived immune response in these young people will be a strong and sufficiently sustaining response,  at least as good as the response gained from immunisation.  The calculation may very well be that immunisation of the young provides little net benefit compared to natural,  infection acquired protection.  Not forgetting that not having to put vaccine into young people removes all of the risk from adverse health reactions.

This is all part and parcel of what was always going to be a hazardous period of time when vaccinations + unlocking would roll out in parallel with an accepted level of infection spread.  

The schools will close soon which will provide a huge amount of suppression to the spread.  Every day the total of vaccinated people grows ever larger.

I think this is a mini herd immunity policy.  Via vaccines for those who could have suffered bad outcomes from the virus.  Using the virus to work for us for those who were not at risk.  There will be some consequential harm from transmission chains into older people but it should be at very low level.  Low enough to tolerate against the harm of restraining the unlock.

We're not far away.

45 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

E7EA3BA8-AE9F-48A5-BDDD-F218EAFE42C5.gif

Interesting how one gets told to chill when rebutting utter horse manure - seems the truth is a disliked fellow on this thread after all. 

Still, was interesting to see Dunning-Kruger syndrome in full effect especially when it's someone who pontificates like they hold all the answers and routinely shreds the S Govt's response. 

If this is "critical thinking" I'll take a pass. 😉

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Interesting how one gets told to chill when rebutting utter horse manure - seems the truth is a disliked fellow on this thread after all. 

Still, was interesting to see Dunning-Kruger syndrome in full effect especially when it's someone who pontificates like they hold all the answers and routinely shreds the S Govt's response. 

If this is "critical thinking" I'll take a pass. 😉

You're not corresponding with one of the critical thinkers mate.  Merely the gormless cheerleader.  That one can't even do thinking,  never mind the critical kind.  

Unknown user
56 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

E7EA3BA8-AE9F-48A5-BDDD-F218EAFE42C5.gif

FFS though how can you claim to know what you're talking about when you can't get your head round such a simple concept.

It's getting ridiculous

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Millwall have done more to fight racism than the Scottish Govt. ya soap dodging . 

Dundee had more cases than Manchester you illiterate Paisley Slag.

There was more than 10 000 Scots in my street. One shat on the floor in my local and another chucked his shite filled kecks on to the lamp shade. Spreading their bodily fluids wherever they go. 😂

:yas:

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

It absolutely does NOT. It's a percentage of tests NOT an accumulated total. Why do you think the figures Redjambo shares is "Positive Tests" per 100K population? 

More tests = more accuracy, not more cases

How can you possibly have so many posts on this subject and not even a basic grasp of how this all works?

There may well be a higher percentage of positive tests because the lateral flow tests, that apparently everyone should be taking😮, are , if positive, requiring people to then take a PCR test. 

So, rather than previously being done randomly or due to work, a lot of PCR tests are being conducted on people already thought to be positive.  

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You're not corresponding with one of the critical thinkers mate.  Merely the gormless cheerleader.  That one can't even do thinking,  never mind the critical kind.  

How’s work ? Ever thought your colleague might want to take days off due to you ? 😂 I can only sympathise with him . Glad you acknowledge my partners in crime are “ Critical thinkers” they will be happy with your sanctimony . Cheer up 

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I agree with this.  It looks like a policy to tolerate what will hopefully be a time limited,  uncontrolled epidemic within an epidemic.  Young people are known to have strong immune systems which is mostly why they are much less likely to experience acute illness.  The JCVI may well calculate that an infection derived immune response in these young people will be a strong and sufficiently sustaining response,  at least as good as the response gained from immunisation.  The calculation may very well be that immunisation of the young provides little net benefit compared to natural,  infection acquired protection.  Not forgetting that not having to put vaccine into young people removes all of the risk from adverse health reactions.

This is all part and parcel of what was always going to be a hazardous period of time when vaccinations + unlocking would roll out in parallel with an accepted level of infection spread.  

The schools will close soon which will provide a huge amount of suppression to the spread.  Every day the total of vaccinated people grows ever larger.

I think this is a mini herd immunity policy.  Via vaccines for those who could have suffered bad outcomes from the virus.  Using the virus to work for us for those who were not at risk.  There will be some consequential harm from transmission chains into older people but it should be at very low level.  Low enough to tolerate against the harm of restraining the unlock.

We're not far away.

Yep looking good ! 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

How’s work ? Ever thought your colleague might want to take days off due to you ? 😂 I can only sympathise with him . Glad you acknowledge my partners in crime are “ Critical thinkers” they will be happy with your sanctimony . Cheer up 

:cornette:

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:cornette:

Your cheerleader quip made me laugh 😆 

C794D076-C60F-4AB6-92A9-8BAFC8A1098A.jpeg

Konrad von Carstein
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Only cases I'm now interested in are the ones I'll be packing for a winter holiday to somewhere warm, sunny and very boozy.

Hopefully wifi free tae...

:cowboy:

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Agree a bit more detail would be nice but it's still important to monitor case numbers. Even with the decent reduction in the percentage of folk ending up in hospital it's still around 5% of cases. If we're recording 2-3000 cases a day at the moment that is still going to translate to 100-150 daily hospitalisations relatively soon which, clearly, is not sustainable. It would be irresponsible to completely just disregard case numbers now, so close to the end of this thing. 

What is the total number of hospitalisations? Given that flu and influenza are currently killing 10 times as many as Covid what are the rates of hospitalisation for those?

Edited by Francis Albert

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

:rofl:

Savage Vince
5 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

There was more than 10 000 Scots in my street. One shat on the floor in my local  😂

Excellent news. 

Konrad von Carstein

One shat on the floor in my local and another chucked his shite filled kecks on to the lamp shade. 😂

This gave the heave, surely, surely this cannot have happened. 🤢🤢🤮🤮

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There may well be a higher percentage of positive tests because the lateral flow tests, that apparently everyone should be taking😮, are , if positive, requiring people to then take a PCR test. 

So, rather than previously being done randomly or due to work, a lot of PCR tests are being conducted on people already thought to be positive.  

That's still equalised out - they don't add lateral flow test results to the positive count.  

Enzo Chiefo
8 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

That's still equalised out - they don't add lateral flow test results to the positive count.  

No, I appreciate that but my point is that a lot of the PCR tests are simply reaffirming the lateral flow results. Therefore a lot of the testing is among those who are likely to be positive rather than being spread evenly across the population. 

We used to see higher percentages at weekends too, possibly because only those with symptoms would be tested with fewer randomised tests. 

Millwall have done more to fight racism than the Scottish Govt. ya soap dodging . 

There was more than 10 000 Scots in my street. One shat on the floor in my local and another chucked his shite filled kecks on to the lamp shade. Spreading their bodily fluids wherever they go. 😂

Brilliant response 😂 😂😂

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No, I appreciate that but my point is that a lot of the PCR tests are simply reaffirming the lateral flow results. Therefore a lot of the testing is among those who are likely to be positive rather than being spread evenly across the population. 

We used to see higher percentages at weekends too, possibly because only those with symptoms would be tested with fewer randomised tests. 

Bloody hell, PCR tests in all countries have been mostly used in cases where covid was suspected since this thing started.

I mean, of course they have, that's how it works! "You look like you might have XYZ, let's test for it"

This isn't unique to covid, it isn't new, it isn't anything.

Edited by Smithee

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

I’m all for a laugh but that’s proper rank. What a couple of tramps🤮

Enzo Chiefo
18 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Bloody hell, PCR tests in all countries have been mostly used in cases where covid was suspected since this thing started.

I mean, of course they have, that's how it works! "You look like you might have XYZ, let's test for it"

This isn't unique to covid, it isn't new, it isn't anything.

Not really,  a lot of the tests, amongst football players, NHS staff, for example, are routine testing. Previously,  those with any "symptoms" or close contacts through track & trace were tested, most of whom were negative. 

I think the results may be skewed now by the fact that lateral tests are picking up positive cases. PCR tests are then used to confirm positive results rather than just check for them, as before.

Unknown user
27 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not really,  a lot of the tests, amongst football players, NHS staff, for example, are routine testing. Previously,  those with any "symptoms" or close contacts through track & trace were tested, most of whom were negative. 

I think the results may be skewed now by the fact that lateral tests are picking up positive cases. PCR tests are then used to confirm positive results rather than just check for them, as before.

Bias confirmation

Enzo Chiefo
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Bias confirmation

Critical thinking always challenges meek acceptance 👍

Ainsley Harriott

Still waiting to hear the condemnation from the MSM or the Scottish goverment directed at the 20k half wits that travelled to london last week and have now caused the biggest spike in positive tests we have seen to date. The silence is deafening 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Critical thinking has a clue

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

The English will ditch face masks when they ease restrictions, its been confirmed; the legal requirement anyway.

People will still be free to wear them and certain premises could make it a requirement.

I reckon I'll wear mine in the car and on the street, but take it off in the shop.

That should cover bamming up as many as possible

15 hours ago, Victorian said:

We're not far away.

Agreed. I don't think it was a planned strategy though. I think things just got out of control after the Delta variant took over and the powers-that-be looked at the situation and the data and thought "What the feck, let's just go for it". I imagine that, if things had gone to plan, the Government would have preferred to have vaccinated more people before the virus took off again, perhaps aiming for the end of July, but it is now as it is. I don't think they will admit this new strategy however as there will be collateral damage.

13 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Now we have a Delta plus variant………..just GTF 

The more the virus circulates in the wild, the more variants will emerge. I don't understand why folk are surprised or angry about this.

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You shouldn't automatically dismiss acceptance that you disagree with as being "meek". It shows a great intolerance of other people having views.

Enzo Chiefo
19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You shouldn't automatically dismiss acceptance that you disagree with as being "meek". It shows a great intolerance of other people having views.

I was responding to the lazy remark about "confirmation bias". The social media equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears.

24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Agreed. I don't think it was a planned strategy though. I think things just got out of control after the Delta variant took over and the powers-that-be looked at the situation and the data and thought "What the feck, let's just go for it". I imagine that, if things had gone to plan, the Government would have preferred to have vaccinated more people before the virus took off again, perhaps aiming for the end of July, but it is now as it is. I don't think they will admit this new strategy however as there will be collateral damage.

Absolutely.  Certainly not part of any longer term planning.  This will be in reaction to events and the current state of play.

49 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Now we have a Delta plus variant………..just GTF 

apple will be annoyed that was going to be the new name of their next iphone

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Still waiting to hear the condemnation from the MSM or the Scottish goverment directed at the 20k half wits that travelled to london last week and have now caused the biggest spike in positive tests we have seen to date. The silence is deafening 

I agree.

Exposing this nation's citizens to another variant in a virus hot spot and then bringing it back to Scotland is not acceptable. 

There should be wide condemnation of the Westminster Government and the London Mayor for failing to control a variant that is clearly running out of control which is now having an adverse effect on Scotland and it's public health infrastructure.

The press are clearly being very quiet about the levels of virus in London and the South East.  

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I agree.

Exposing this nation's citizens to another variant in a virus hot spot and then bringing it back to Scotland is not acceptable. 

There should be wide condemnation of the Westminster Government and the London Mayor for failing to control a variant that is clearly running out of control which is now having an adverse effect on Scotland and it's public health infrastructure.

The press are clearly being very quiet about the levels of virus in London and the South East.  

I would appear both goverments have allowed the idea of loosening restrictions in favour of the euros starting as an ill judged attempt at being popular.

Enzo Chiefo
12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I agree.

How about the 20k law breakers spreading it amongst themselves? 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I would appear both goverments have allowed the idea of loosening restrictions in favour of the euros starting as an ill judged attempt at being popular.

Like you I'm surprised that the MSM are not all over this governmental failure. 

Imagine where we'd be if the UK Government had 'taken back control' of our borders and prevented this variant from coming into the UK (London being the jumping off point) or at least delayed the inevitable arrival of the variant thus giving breathing room to our vaccination programme.

Stand by for the imminent arrival of Delta + variant (flights still arriving from the Indian subcontinent by the day) or indeed the free pass to 2,500 UEFA liggers to rock up at Wembley for the semi's and final. This will be done as it's all about the optic and it wouldn't look good for Johnson's global Britain (One Britain, Great Nation!) to lose the final to a backward Eastern European shit-hole like Budapest. 

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

How about the 20k law breakers spreading it amongst themselves? 

What law did they break?

*i'm not defending their decision to go. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The more the virus circulates in the wild, the more variants will emerge. I don't understand why folk are surprised or angry about this.

Some zoomer mentioned booster shots to me yesterday.  Along the lines of "noo thur oan aboot boosters in ra autumn.  Wut duh wuh need ****in booster shots fur?".

Replied "I think it might be to update for newer strains".

"Load ay pish eh?"

He then proceeded to dribble on about some 'The Great Reset' apocalypse that's supposedly going to happen.  :)

Enzo Chiefo
14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

What law did they break?

*i'm not defending their decision to go. 

Gathering in mass numbers? Not socially distancing? Not sure of the numbers allowed tbh but don't think it's 20k😂

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic