Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need a strain of covid that makes west coast benefit cheats balls fall off imo.

Fixed that for you. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need a strain of covid that makes west coast roofers' balls fall off imo.

Who needs them. Balls that is. :D

Double jagged and off to work. Greece won't pay for itself. 

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Who needs them. Balls that is. :D

Aye, mine are retired now too. :(

22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Double jagged and off to work. Greece won't pay for itself. 

:sweeet:

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Sky reporting UK govt looking at removing quarantine requirement for double jabbed people. 

good 

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Watching a GP just now on TV ref vaccination in children. The GP we should be vaccinating children as it’s impossible for GP to tell if runny noses are COVID or a cold. 

So they won’t see children until COVID tested to ensure not COVID. 

It was revealed at the end of the article the JCVI have no imminent plans to approve vaccines in children. I think that may be down to supplies at the moment as opposed to it being the likely strategy, 

If a Doctor can't differentiate between cold and Covid symptoms then that probably tells us all we need to know. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You'd need to open wider than that.

Why ,,,,,,

F0F42AE6-3FB5-42AC-9903-ACC31215A6C8.gif

Estimates for the number of people who could die or need hospital treatment in a summer wave of coronavirus infections are to be reduced by thousands after data showed that vaccines were more effective than thought.

Papers presented this week to the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) projected a peak of about 1,000 hospital admissions a day if the final stage of reopening in England was delayed.

Had ministers gone ahead with an end to restrictions on June 21, that figure could have reached 3,000 a day, the figure seen in spring last year, according to the modelling by Warwick University. However, this was based on assuming that two doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine provided between 85 and 90 per cent protection against severe disease from the Delta, or Indian, variant, and two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech between 87 and 91 per cent.

According to the best guess of Public Health England, two doses of the Oxford vaccine are actually 92 per cent effective against severe disease, meaning that people fully vaccinated are 92 per cent less likely to end up in hospital. For Pfizer, the figure was 96 per cent.

The new data, which suggests deaths will be significantly lower too, is based on real-world hospital cases and raises the prospect that Boris Johnson will be able to go ahead with a full lifting of restrictions on July 19 as planned.

Professor Mark Woolhouse, from the University of Edinburgh and a member of the Sage modelling committee Spi-M, said that even small changes in vaccine efficacy could “could make a big difference” to the projections.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Estimates for the number of people who could die or need hospital treatment in a summer wave of coronavirus infections are to be reduced by thousands after data showed that vaccines were more effective than thought.

Papers presented this week to the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) projected a peak of about 1,000 hospital admissions a day if the final stage of reopening in England was delayed.

Had ministers gone ahead with an end to restrictions on June 21, that figure could have reached 3,000 a day, the figure seen in spring last year, according to the modelling by Warwick University. However, this was based on assuming that two doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine provided between 85 and 90 per cent protection against severe disease from the Delta, or Indian, variant, and two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech between 87 and 91 per cent.

According to the best guess of Public Health England, two doses of the Oxford vaccine are actually 92 per cent effective against severe disease, meaning that people fully vaccinated are 92 per cent less likely to end up in hospital. For Pfizer, the figure was 96 per cent.

The new data, which suggests deaths will be significantly lower too, is based on real-world hospital cases and raises the prospect that Boris Johnson will be able to go ahead with a full lifting of restrictions on July 19 as planned.

Professor Mark Woolhouse, from the University of Edinburgh and a member of the Sage modelling committee Spi-M, said that even small changes in vaccine efficacy could “could make a big difference” to the projections.

👍👍

JudyJudyJudy
51 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If a Doctor can't differentiate between cold and Covid symptoms then that probably tells us all we need to know. 

I still donf understand how symptoms of a disease / infection can change ? In my knowledge of health issues most diseases / illnesses have the same symptoms all the time ! Makes me put my tin foil hat on again ! As maybe it’s to encourage more people to get tested ??? And if these are new symptoms maybe it means the virus is less virulent and dying off ? But what do I know 

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

:sweeet:

https://apple.news/AlUvy8ovBSkOIMIMnif2nPA

“Game-changing” tests that show if people have immunity to Covid-19 and new variants of the virus have been revealed by Scottish scientists.

The highly accurate antibody checks can show if vaccines are still working, if people have protection from emerging variants and if people have natural immunity from catching the virus.

Versions of the tests that people could use in their homes to check their levels of immunity are being developed and it is hoped they could be finalised within weeks.

Thousands have already been dispatched to the NHS to see how they can help manage the pandemic. Potentially, staff treating and nursing people with Covid-19 in hospitals and care homes can use the tests to check they have protection against the virus.

In the near future it is hoped that people may be able to check their own levels of immunity to help inform their behaviour and determine if they need a booster vaccine.

Professor Mirela Delibegovic, a biochemist who led the project at Aberdeen University, said the tests could “dramatically change the trajectory of global recovery from the pandemic”.

The researchers say checks using blood samples from Scotland and America show the new EpitoGen immunity tests are 100 per cent accurate at detecting antibodies to the Sars-CoV-2 virus.

They can also signal the level of antibodies, giving a rating between one and 15, with 98 per cent accuracy, and flag up whether immunity has arisen from vaccination, infection or both.

It is reported that other antibody tests currently widely available have 60 to 90 per cent accuracy and cannot differentiate between immune responses to different variants of the virus.

Delibegovic said that the EpitoGen immunity tests can already be adjusted to detect immunity to 100 different variants. When a significant new mutation arises, she said that it could be added and tests then sent to the country affected to check if those vaccinated have the antibodies they need to protect them from the new strain.

Delibegovic said: “We have said that this is a game-changing technology. I think it is super-exciting, especially when we think about the variants.

“People say that we are going to have to live with this virus and therefore we have to know the vaccines we are using are actually protecting us and we are safe against certain strains. The only way to do this is to have something that you can rely on. This test gives us those answers that are so urgently required.”

Work developing the tests began in April last year under the Scottish government chief scientist office rapid response to the Covid-19 research programme.

Artificial intelligence was used to develop a particularly sensitive test that uses five different parts or “hot spots” of the virus to screen for antibodies in the blood. NHS Grampian and its industry partner Vertebrate Antibodies worked with Aberdeen University to develop the tests, which come in a vacuum pack.

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

https://apple.news/AlUvy8ovBSkOIMIMnif2nPA

“Game-changing” tests that show if people have immunity to Covid-19 and new variants of the virus have been revealed by Scottish scientists.

The highly accurate antibody checks can show if vaccines are still working, if people have protection from emerging variants and if people have natural immunity from catching the virus.

Versions of the tests that people could use in their homes to check their levels of immunity are being developed and it is hoped they could be finalised within weeks.

Thousands have already been dispatched to the NHS to see how they can help manage the pandemic. Potentially, staff treating and nursing people with Covid-19 in hospitals and care homes can use the tests to check they have protection against the virus.

In the near future it is hoped that people may be able to check their own levels of immunity to help inform their behaviour and determine if they need a booster vaccine.

Professor Mirela Delibegovic, a biochemist who led the project at Aberdeen University, said the tests could “dramatically change the trajectory of global recovery from the pandemic”.

The researchers say checks using blood samples from Scotland and America show the new EpitoGen immunity tests are 100 per cent accurate at detecting antibodies to the Sars-CoV-2 virus.

They can also signal the level of antibodies, giving a rating between one and 15, with 98 per cent accuracy, and flag up whether immunity has arisen from vaccination, infection or both.

It is reported that other antibody tests currently widely available have 60 to 90 per cent accuracy and cannot differentiate between immune responses to different variants of the virus.

Delibegovic said that the EpitoGen immunity tests can already be adjusted to detect immunity to 100 different variants. When a significant new mutation arises, she said that it could be added and tests then sent to the country affected to check if those vaccinated have the antibodies they need to protect them from the new strain.

Delibegovic said: “We have said that this is a game-changing technology. I think it is super-exciting, especially when we think about the variants.

“People say that we are going to have to live with this virus and therefore we have to know the vaccines we are using are actually protecting us and we are safe against certain strains. The only way to do this is to have something that you can rely on. This test gives us those answers that are so urgently required.”

Work developing the tests began in April last year under the Scottish government chief scientist office rapid response to the Covid-19 research programme.

Artificial intelligence was used to develop a particularly sensitive test that uses five different parts or “hot spots” of the virus to screen for antibodies in the blood. NHS Grampian and its industry partner Vertebrate Antibodies worked with Aberdeen University to develop the tests, which come in a vacuum pack.

Not so sure about this . It’ll get people paranoid if they have to constantly check their levels of immunity . A nation of hypochondriacs . 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I don't understand science, therefore conspiracy.

Looks like u woke up on wrong side of bed again ! 

C2ABC58B-2B97-4B1F-8F3C-E5F8982944FF.gif

21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I don't understand science, therefore conspiracy.

You could probably substitute a lot things for Science Ray. Only thing you seem to understand is what Nicola tells you. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Not so sure about this . It’ll get people paranoid if they have to constantly check their levels of immunity . A nation of hypochondriacs . 

I suppose it could be used to sample the population much like a survey. Say your in hospital or at the Drs (in person) they could ask for a sample of blood and send it off for testing. For example I get my blood tested at least once a year to monitor my medication they could check for antibodies then. 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Dazo said:

You could probably substitute a lot things for Science Ray. Only thing you seem to understand is what Nicola tells you. 

:D

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

I understand that evidence and facts trump uneducated musings and conspiracy theories. Something that seems an alien concept around these parts. 

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Weird how you always seem to accuse the wider population of being hypochondriacs yet you immediately go for the most fear-laden interpretation.

Personally, I'd be very pleased to know my immunity status rather than just assuming the vaccines worked. If they worked as expected, great, if not then I'd adjust my risk position and safety measures accordingly.   

This could be a game-changer, knowing the efficacy of the vaccine in the wider population, or even regionally - it gives us tools that would help us unlock with confidence, or let us know where or if we need boosters or wider coverage. It also provides a method to much more accurately assess the longevity of vaccinations too. 

An extremely useful toolset, very welcome news.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I understand that evidence and facts trump uneducated musings and conspiracy theories.

Have you been paying attention to the handling of the pandemic?

Enzo Chiefo
18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I still donf understand how symptoms of a disease / infection can change ? In my knowledge of health issues most diseases / illnesses have the same symptoms all the time ! Makes me put my tin foil hat on again ! As maybe it’s to encourage more people to get tested ??? And if these are new symptoms maybe it means the virus is less virulent and dying off ? But what do I know 

Yes, exactly.  The fact that respiratory problems are not such a common symptom is certainly a good sign. It may also suggest that the virus is mutating away to a weaker form.

I wonder why more emphasis is not being put on the new symptoms.  Our leaders used to repeat any changes daily and hammer home the point. All very strange.

The proliferation of behavioural experts on our screens over the last year gives the game away a bit imo

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I suppose it could be used to sample the population much like a survey. Say your in hospital or at the Drs (in person) they could ask for a sample of blood and send it off for testing. For example I get my blood tested at least once a year to monitor my medication they could check for antibodies then. 

Yes I can see what you mean by this . I read it as people sending samples in themselves etc . But if it’s done as routine tests with regular blood tests then that isn’t so Much as issue 

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The times reporting that the JVCI are recommending against vaccinating under 18’s as the risks are not worth the gains, in a age group that rarely gets caused serious issues by the disease.

Wording being decided on how to provide future wiggle room if needed, prior to announcement.

I suspect a few poster may be annoyed at the decision, if report true.

Yasssssss ! They must be reading my musings on this ! That and drop in vaccinations centres ! Im

on a roll 😂

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, exactly.  The fact that respiratory problems are not such a common symptom is certainly a good sign. It may also suggest that the virus is mutating away to a weaker form.

I wonder why more emphasis is not being put on the new symptoms.  Our leaders used to repeat any changes daily and hammer home the point. All very strange.

The proliferation of behavioural experts on our screens over the last year gives the game away a bit imo

Maybe people have gone past the fear factor ? 

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The times reporting that the JVCI are recommending against vaccinating under 18’s as the risks are not worth the gains, in a age group that rarely gets caused serious issues by the disease.

Wording being decided on how to provide future wiggle room if needed, prior to announcement.

EF5C5610-B0C4-45EB-8B20-FB7E7C6B8C15.gif

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

It's like a game of table tennis in the media

Enzo Chiefo
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yasssssss ! They must be reading my musings on this ! That and drop in vaccinations centres ! Im

on a roll 😂

Maybe people have gone past the fear factor ? 

Absolutely.  Yes, we're well past the fear factor stage now that we have all had an opportunity, as individuals, to assess the risks, data , forecasting and backtracking. The "experts" can only carry the scaremongering off for a limited time span

36 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Interesting that's announced at almost the same time the NHS is setting up long covid Hubs for kids.

Did notice the reporting of the JCVI announcement was that vulnerable children with underlying health conditions would likely get the vaccine.

For healthy children, I can understand the concerns of parents either side of the argument to be honest.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/long-covid-clinics-are-opening-for-kids-what-you-need-to-know_uk_60c868f6e4b007ebdfad8234

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Absolutely.  Yes, we're well past the fear factor stage now that we have all had an opportunity, as individuals, to assess the risks, data , forecasting and backtracking. The "experts" can only carry the scaremongering off for a limited time span

👍👍

Ron Burgundy
18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I hope Jason L has managed to top up his pension fund sufficiently during his brief visit into the world of celebrity. 

Hard times ahead for all these experts. Maybe they could have a sort of scientist/expert furlough scheme until the next scare.

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I hope Jason L has managed to top up his pension fund sufficiently during his brief visit into the world of celebrity. 

Hard times ahead for all these experts. Maybe they could have a sort of scientist/expert furlough scheme until the next scare.

😂. Ron, I'm sure Edinburgh Dungeons will be looking for staff over the summer. There's always an opportunity for those who wish to scare the public witless. The ghost trains would be another possibility. 

That calibre of antibody surveillance could be extremely useful in keeping really good onging vigilance,  which in turn can greatly contribute to the avoidance of lockdowns and restrictions.  The kind of dumbass opposition shown further up the thread by the dumbass-in-chief really takes the McVities Digestive.  Science keeps producing tools for the toolbox and cretins keep making a complete tit of themselves.

We'll be ok as long as innovations of this type keep being brought forward.

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That calibre of antibody surveillance could be extremely useful in keeping really good onging vigilance,  which in turn can greatly contribute to the avoidance of lockdowns and restrictions.  The kind of dumbass opposition shown further up the thread by the dumbass-in-chief really takes the McVities Digestive.  Science keeps producing tools for the toolbox and cretins keep making a complete tit of themselves.

We'll be ok as long as innovations of this type keep being brought forward.

30C18F9A-3496-401D-BE00-7DA0A1B4C3CE.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

😂. Ron, I'm sure Edinburgh Dungeons will be looking for staff over the summer. There's always an opportunity for those who wish to scare the public witless. The ghost trains would be another possibility. 

Lol I can well imagine NS at the front of the Ghost train . Leitch , Bauld and Sirdhar sitting at the back . Now that’s a scarey ride 😂

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I understand that evidence and facts trump uneducated musings and conspiracy theories. Something that seems an alien concept around these parts. 

Who are you calling a concept pal?

th-2.jpeg

21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Lol I can well imagine NS at the front of the Ghost train . Leitch , Bauld and Sirdhar sitting at the back . Now that’s a scarey ride 😂

Bauld has upped her income by a few grand a year by being honoured.

Jason will be fizzing ! Back to pulling teeth !

😂

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

😂

I doubt that he's not done dentistry of any sort since 2008 or thereabouts. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Boab said:

😂

Yes maybe he needs to go to turkey to get a new set of knashers . His are like condemned slums 

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I doubt that he's not done dentistry of any sort since 2008 or thereabouts. 

Ken.

I was being a tad facetious !

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes maybe he needs to go to turkey to get a new set of knashers . His are like condemned slums 

A lot of hot air coming out of him. Must affect the snappers.

Harry Potter
25 minutes ago, Boab said:

😂

Talking about teeth, are the dentists back to a routine service of your teeth and gums.

Never gets mentioned, would have thought they were toiling for cash, cheaper getting the car

serviced.😵.

25 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

*too much empathy

:kirk:

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

*too much empathy

:kirk:

Not to Someone who effectively dictated how we lived in the last 15 months with gibberish most of the time emanating from his self righteous pompous mouth 

9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not to Someone who effectively dictated how we lived in the last 15 months with gibberish most of the time emanating from his self righteous pompous mouth 

tumblr_mkumveKTDp1s5lf2ro1_250.gif

JudyJudyJudy

Anyway In some good news it’s been 48 hours since my second jab and not had any side effects it all . Think after the 48 hours people are usually fine . Touch wood 🪵 

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Anyway In some good news it’s been 48 hours since my second jab and not had any side effects it all . Think after the 48 hours people are usually fine . Touch wood 🪵 

Blood clots incoming, James. It was nice knowing you. 👍

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Blood clots incoming, James. It was nice knowing you. 👍

Charming. 😎

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic